Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-21-21 11:25AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I get the criticism of Vic/Russ/Cheryl, but I notice I am more excited to watch curling when I hear their voices as opposed to the voices of Brian/Cathy or the Sportsnet teams. Maybe it's just that Vic has been associated with the biggest events for so long that I associate hearing him with top curling. Or maybe TSN's top team is indeed the best.

This year, for the first time, I thought Brian had potential as an eventual Vic replacement. The big challenge for him is going to be adding some flair to his delivery. It's all very sanitized and obvious, but a good play by play announcer will add flourishes like Vic does when he counts up a big score.

Also, I hope TSN backs off the COVID tales. That's the kind of thing many viewers don't want to hear about end after end for three hours.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-21 02:12PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

'Vic is 65, Mudryk 42'. ML

To many of us, age is simply a number. But to ML it's a number to be included in many of his blurbs. Unfortunately his math is not always 'spot - on'.

Some recent examples:
J. Jones is 46 yrs. old, not 48.

R. Homan is 31, not 33

E. Miskew is 32, not 33

B. Mudryk is 41, not 42

V. Rauter is 66, not 65

02-21-21 05:16PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Just for fun

Cut the last 20 posters please list the items they have purchased that were advertised by the curling sponsors

Thank you

Your question was a lot easier to answer back when Labatt was the title sponsor and corn brooms ruled.
Legend, with no word of a doubt, has one thing right.
McD's coffee is superior, in every way, to Tim's.

02-21-21 05:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know, i wouldnt even have a problem with vic if, like i said he wasnt doing his "no offense" followed by an insulting comment or giving back handed compliments to lower ranked teams.

i just wish cheryl too would open up more and stand on her own more. not just agree with everything russ says. even when russ asks her opinion she just goes a long with him

02-23-21 11:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Here's a question. Has it really been necessary for vic to bring up about 5 times now that Alberta started 3-0 last year but then lost 4 once the schedule got tougher?. Pretty sure it only needs to be said the once

02-23-21 11:35AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Nitpick #1: TSN changed their score graphic so that the team name is listed with the provincial colour in the background. So you have Manitoba written in white font on yellow background and Ontario written in white font on red background. But this is annoyingly misleading when Manitoba is playing red stones and Ontario yellow stones.

Nitpick #2: Russ praised the camera angle from behind the thrower in a broadcast yesterday. They never used it again. Are they only allowed to use it once a day? It really is nice to see the arc of the stones a few times and helps give some variance to a long telecast.

02-23-21 04:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

no seriously how many times will vic mention this about alberta?. 2 times more in an update about their game against NWT

02-23-21 05:22PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
no seriously how many times will vic mention this about alberta?. 2 times more in an update about their game against NWT

Once he locks on to something that's it. Which will he mention more? Alberta's streaks or the evaporating pebble?

02-23-21 08:11PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I can't believe the evaporating pebble. I live in a dry area and droplets don't evaporate that fast. The Alberta streak should be put to rest now.

02-23-21 08:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I can't believe the evaporating pebble. I live in a dry area and droplets don't evaporate that fast. The Alberta streak should be put to rest now.

Guaranteed next AB draw he'll mention how they've "overcome" the Alberta Streak. Also Russ will say "exactly" 10 times and Cheryl will say sittin' and hittin'

My pet peeve is rather than saying that spot runs straight or that spot doesn't curl when they miss a shot, how about the truth, THEY MISSED THE BROOM. They dumped it wide, or turned it in and it curled out of their hand. They threw it 10 feet heavy, they pulled the string and were way too light.
Sometimes the truth hurts, but it needs to be told.

Oh that wasn't the outcome they were looking for. No, they dumped it and missed the shot.

Here endeth the rant.

02-23-21 08:44PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Guaranteed next AB draw he'll mention how they've "overcome" the Alberta Streak. Also Russ will say "exactly" 10 times and Cheryl will say sittin' and hittin'

My pet peeve is rather than saying that spot runs straight or that spot doesn't curl when they miss a shot, how about the truth, THEY MISSED THE BROOM. They dumped it wide, or turned it in and it curled out of their hand. They threw it 10 feet heavy, they pulled the string and were way too light.

Oh that wasn't the outcome they were looking for. No, they dumped it and missed the shot.

Here endeth the rant.

LMAO. This aft the Zacharias 3rd was light and inside on a shot. Cheryl said "oh she just got unlucky and got on the path where it curls". Missing the broom with the wrong weight isn't unlucky. I get that they don't want to be too critical but you can't sugar coat everything either.
Drinking game: Russ says exactly, you take a shot. Liver failure before end of Brier guaranteed.

02-23-21 08:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LMAO. This aft the Zacharias 3rd was light and inside on a shot. Cheryl said "oh she just got unlucky and got on the path where it curls". Missing the broom with the wrong weight isn't unlucky. I get that they don't want to be too critical but you can't sugar coat everything either.
Drinking game: Russ says exactly, you take a shot. Liver failure before end of Brier guaranteed.

And my favourite from both Russ and Vic "gear affect"

02-24-21 02:22PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I agree with your analysis on this. Sometimes you can tell from the comfort of the couch that a rock was thrown poorly and hey it happens. The crew does not always have to cover up for it. Great shots are worth getting excited about. However I feel that they could tactfully do a better job of commenting on not so good shots.

Anyway I'm still glad there is LIVE curling on TV no matter what the TSN gang is saying!
Here endeth the rant.

02-24-21 10:42PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Why do some of you people even watch? Don’t like announcers? MUTE.

02-25-21 12:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

You really shouldn't have to watch something on mute though

02-25-21 12:51PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
Why do some of you people even watch? Don’t like announcers? MUTE.

So instead of pointing out problems and asking for better we should just stick our heads in the sand? Yah, that's the answer. Don't like what the government is saying and doing? Just don't listen!!!

02-26-21 08:03PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

I also wish they would do a little digging on some stories.
For example Vic has explained several times how the rocks do not have hog line detectors in them. He says there is a problem in the supply chain. So far so good.
But there should be some follow up questions. I would find it interesting if they did an interview with the icemaker and he explained how the thing works, what is missing and why they couldn't just use old handles.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-26-21 at 08:09PM

02-27-21 03:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It is time for Russ Howard to watch the game from the comfort of his lazy boy chair. I have yet to be hear him say someone threw bad. It’s either a run in the ice, flat pebble, unmatched rocks, frost, lack of turn, slide path or fresh pebble. Pretty soon it will be lack of lighting, speed of time clocks or the moons magnetic force.
Why not say they threw light or heavy, wide or inside??????

Oh, forgot, he was blaming Cameron’s slider last night.

02-27-21 04:50PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
It is time for Russ Howard to watch the game from the comfort of his lazy boy chair. I have yet to be hear him say someone threw bad. It’s either a run in the ice, flat pebble, unmatched rocks, frost, lack of turn, slide path or fresh pebble. Pretty soon it will be lack of lighting, speed of time clocks or the moons magnetic force.

LMAO. All these years I thought I just had bad touch and it was my slider all along!!!

02-27-21 05:35PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

14 time Brier participant , 2 time champion, 2 time world champion and oh, Olympic Gold Medal.. I guess his resume doesn't show any experience. Russ mentioned the slider because it can be a reason for a drift especially for a tuck delivery. He's trying to find a reson for her drift when she's such a strong hitter. Yes, he repeats things, but really listen to him. I play with a lot of people who don't know about angles, or how the different turns react on hits, let alone about their equipment. It's great for newer or inexperienced players to hear some of the finer points of the game!

02-27-21 08:21PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky

14 time Brier participant , 2 time champion, 2 time world champion and oh, Olympic Gold Medal.. I guess his resume doesn't show any experience. Russ mentioned the slider because it can be a reason for a drift especially for a tuck delivery. He's trying to find a reson for her drift when she's such a strong hitter. Yes, he repeats things, but really listen to him. I play with a lot of people who don't know about angles, or how the different turns react on hits, let alone about their equipment. It's great for newer or inexperienced players to hear some of the finer points of the game!

What does playing accolades have do with the FACT that he never says a player missed? That all my post is about. It would be good for the others unexperienced ego to hear that a top end curler is not perfect.

02-27-21 09:18PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LMAO. All these years I thought I just had bad touch and it was my slider all along!!!

It is definitely time this site incorporates a "like" button.

Others have posted, including myself, they rarely/never say oh they blew that shot or they missed the broom by 2 feet an 10 heavy, and that's why they flashed the hit. No need to be the Johnny Miller of curling, but for the love of God, tell it like it is instead of pretending it"s 5 different reasons they missed the shot.
That's right up there with the over exaggerated % they give for shots. EVERY single one should 10-25% less if they gave scores on the results of the called shots, NOT vs how it ended up after 5 rocks pin-/balled and then gave the score on the end result. From what I've seen there's been very few over 80%, let alone the miracle 94% they give the popular/fan favourite/ high profile players. Just the "eye test" tells most knowledgeable curlers they're biased. It's not as if fewer people will watch if the true % is 70 vs the 90% they give out like candy. So the real question is why? Either teach the scorers to score properly, or just do away with it altogether. In fact, the only % that really counts is winning %.

Oh by the way 4 shots so far, sorry, my fault...and only 2 ends in. She better pace herself. Oh another sorry, make that 5 shots.

02-28-21 04:58PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

What does playing accolades have do with the FACT that he never says a player missed? That all my post is about. It would be good for the others unexperienced ego to hear that a top end curler is not perfect.

I can see when a player misses. The player knows they missed. Sometimes, people don't know why they missed. I like when commentators in any sport talk about mechanics or equipment problems leading to misses. The end where the slider was mentioned, Russ also mentioned other factors that could lead to the miss. That's what's great about this site, people can express their opinions. I only wish I could do it around the round table at my curling club.

02-28-21 10:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Any time Dick Rauter opens his yap and starts to speak, most curlers cringe. "would you ever?"

"Do you think?"......

Any time he starts a sentence like this Russ and Cheryl have their thumb and finger held to the bridge of their nose, saying, "really?"

He's been around long enough to to know answers before he says something stupid. Stop playing the buffoon and TRY to ask something intelligent. Might be time for him to go back to the white water kayaking commentating...........

03-01-21 10:00AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Weak event for Russ

I enjoy watching the curling on TSN for the Scotties and the Brier, and I realize that this year's event was very different from past years with the Covid-19 bubble restrictions, but this was a weak event for the TSN announce crew and specifically Russ.

His shot analysis was often incorrect including many times not remember which team was throwing, who threw the last rock, what the situation was in the house, who had hammer, etc. I know that the announcers get the same video feed as we get as viewers, so when it becomes painfully obvious to us that there is no longer a shot for 4 because the previous shot bumped two already questionable rocks to no longer be possible counters, don't continue to say that there is a possible shot for 4.

It was a difficult 10 days of listening. And for those of you who want to retort with, "Just put it on mute." I shouldn't have to do that because I'm paying for both the video and the audio.