Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canadian Mixed Doubles

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-21 07:40PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

For the record, I think that Kaitlyn Lawes curling with her nephew is effing fantastic and I respect the heck out of her for doing it.

I’m not sure how anyone could think otherwise.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-21 10:54PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It’s really too bad that the powers that be made up rules to make sure top curlers got in. Several of these players never had plans of ever playing mixed doubles. But, because of circumstances go to a national championship because of points gained by 4 man curling. Really shaking my head.

03-19-21 11:26PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier way more than Vic/Cheryl/Russ. Russ may as well be announcing a funeral he's so darn serious and Brian and Cathy keep it lighter while still talking curling. After the trials there will be players retiring, try JJones or Gushue out as 3rd announcer with those 2 and send the geezer crew off with a nice retirement party and some watches. They were fine for their time but it's time for new blood.

03-20-21 12:22AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier

You should go back and watch the 2019 & 2020 junior men's finals that they commentated.

In 2019, her nephew Tardi beat her son Jacques. In 2020, her son Jacques won.

03-20-21 10:21AM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier way more than Vic/Cheryl/Russ. Russ may as well be announcing a funeral he's so darn serious and Brian and Cathy keep it lighter while still talking curling. After the trials there will be players retiring, try JJones or Gushue out as 3rd announcer with those 2 and send the geezer crew off with a nice retirement party and some watches. They were fine for their time but it's time for new blood.

Wow! Have you really listened to the Mixed Doubles telecasts? The mistakes in shot prediction, strategy analysis and shot outcomes are brutal. The "overtalking" while the athletes are speaking with useless info is so frustrating! I I cringe when they start talking!

03-20-21 11:27AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

While some television coverage is better than zippo, TSN has 5 channels in SWO. And 2 were showing the same March Madness game last night.

03-20-21 12:49PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Agree with everyone enjoying Mudryk/Gauthier commentating. Consider them excellent prefer them to the Rauter crew.

03-21-21 11:16AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I don’t know if there’s a French-Canadian equivalent to “Spanglish” but is this “Franglish?”

Also, is there no team Canada for doubles?

Last edited by cnpeters on 03-21-21 at 12:26PM

03-21-21 01:06PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great? They can't use 1 of their 6 channels or 1 of their bonus channels (that I've only seen used for tennis) to show evening/night draws?
They could split up Brian and Cathy and have a guest analyst who isn't playing join one of them in the booth each draw and show 4-5 games. I would like to hear a guy like Kennedy in the booth, or JJ or Fry or Miskew.

03-21-21 01:11PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great?

Yes and yes.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-21-21 02:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Yes and yes.

thats actually depressing to hear as far as the NCAA thing

03-21-21 05:51PM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

how to make mix doubles more exciting to watch?

...so I’m sitting in the clubhouse with my buddies after golf and quite a few of them are/were recreational curlers. We got to talking about the mixed doubles and to a man/woman, they found it very boring as the shots were the same all the time and congregated on the button. I explained about the intricacies of angles, drag, slide/release, rotation and directional sweeping, but they didn’t really get it. They had some ideas about making the game more interesting – 1. move the “x” rocks to various places in the house, not always behind the button. 2. move the “x” rock further back from the button to allow room for rock movement and run-back removals. Do you think the world curling federation would be open to changes?
....on a side note, I was happy to see Darren Molding using the dreaded “half-handle” to great effect, although it could have even less rotation. You will have seen this handle at your club – it is the one that turns about half-a-turn and then goes sideways as it comes into the house. It also has to be thrown with about three feet more weight as it grabs as it slows down. Personally, I would like to see our Canadian teams using this as a weapon at the international level.

03-21-21 06:17PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I actually find it quite interesting. Without two monsters carving every shot to precision, there’s a lot more mistake mitigation.

Feels like a different test of skip-skills.

03-21-21 08:18PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone know if the Moulding/ Courtney games will be counted in the standings?
Gallant/ Peterman lost to them. The other 2 teams that they are tied with didn’t play against
M/C yet. Would make huge difference in who goes forward

03-21-21 08:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I think the teams yet to play get the win. Not sure about games already played but I would guess they count.

03-21-21 11:45PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great? They can't use 1 of their 6 channels or 1 of their bonus channels (that I've only seen used for tennis) to show evening/night draws?
They could split up Brian and Cathy and have a guest analyst who isn't playing join one of them in the booth each draw and show 4-5 games. I would like to hear a guy like Kennedy in the booth, or JJ or Fry or Miskew.

I see Gerry answered yes and yes to your first 2 questions. Another example of how Canadian content on our media is a joke!
Your idea for televising the evening games is an excellent one considering the participants in the event are in a bubble and can't do anything else. Even if they streamed the other draws with no announcers, like the Scots did with earlier bonspiels this year. An announcer gave updates of other scores and certain announcements. The rest of the time one could listen to the players in the featured game.

03-22-21 12:06AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

After further inspection, I'm curious how CC decided 35 teams. Did they think double Scotties and Brier was the number? Or did they do the math and computations to include their "favourites" regardless of points or 1 year or 2 year production? 35 teams? Really? Why not 36, 24 16? It's all about the lure of the Olympic dollar. There's about 8 legit MD teams, and I totally agree with all the provinces and territories, BUT the rest are hand picked by CC. If it's for just this year of Covid that's been an excuse for everything, that's one thing, but to bring in an unnecessary 15 teams because they're popular or based on their 4 person teams is ridiculous. Earn your way playing mixed doubles. I've said it before, CC is 'gifting" teams based on popularity and perceived tv ratings, not earned spots.

Just a small rant. Go Peterman Gallant Go.

03-22-21 02:56AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
the rest are hand picked by CC

You people are just making stuff up, aren't you?

14 provincial/territories champions
14 CMDR teams from 2019-2020 season
7 CTRS teams from 2019-2020 season in National Team program

If you think that CMDR/CTRS/National Team program are flawed, then that's a separate debate we can have, but otherwise, there is no handpicking for this championship.

If you insist that there was handpicking, then prove it. Name a team and show how that team does not meet any of the above criteria.

https://www.curling.ca/files/2021/0...DR-Results.xlsx
https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...ubles-rankings/
https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...l-ctrs-results/
https://www.curling.ca/becoming-tea...l-team-program/

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Jim Cotter would also have been a decent partner to give Kaitlyn a chance to defend her Olympic gold. . . ! ! !

Letting Kaitlyn Lawes/Jim Cotter into the championship, now *THAT* would be handpicking.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 03:41AM

03-22-21 07:43AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

14 provincial/territories champions
14 CMDR teams from 2019-2020 season
7 CTRS teams from 2019-2020 season in National Team program

If you think that CMDR/CTRS/National Team program are flawed, then that's a separate debate we can have, but otherwise, there is no handpicking for this championship.

If you insist that there was handpicking, then prove it. Name a team and show how that team does not meet any of the above criteria.
Letting Kaitlyn Lawes/Jim Cotter into the championship, now *THAT* would be handpicking.

You must forgive Manitoba Legend. Sometimes he just makes stupid statements to improve his numbers.

03-22-21 12:08PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

We have wild cards without calling them wild cards but if they were going to hand out wild cards why not hand them out to mixed doubles teams who d8dnt qualify already like carey/Hodgson.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-22-21 at 12:32PM

03-22-21 01:05PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

They should allow the option of placing 2 guards at the start of the end instead of 1 guard and 1 in the house.

03-22-21 01:08PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:

Look, I'm not Canadian, so I have no skin in this game. On my totally arbitrary list of "crap I care about in real life," You've got to go way way way way down before you get to "How Canada chooses participants and field size for its Mixed Doubles Curling National Championship."

BUT

When you decide to use 4 person team rankings to determine the last seven two person doubles participants, and then saying that team ratings only count if the parent organization is already currently giving the four person team money...

Well, I can't see how people would be too off the mark in saying that particular criterion... which (so far as I can see) has not been used before... is the equivalent of putting one's thumb on the scale to influence the participant pool.

That being said, from my American perch, it makes it much easier to watch on TV as I know a bunch more teams.

03-22-21 01:30PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Letting in at least some amount (20%) of pairs of elite curlers from the small pool of funded athletes if their combined ratings meet the threshold is a sensible thing to do. To do otherwise, i.e. to forbid them from even getting in, is stupid.

If IOC announces tomorrow that mixed 4-person curling is now an Olympic sport for 2022, how would you devise the criteria for the trials? You'd let elite curlers from the small pool of funded athletes to form up teams and let the highest rated ones fight it out for the right to represent the country. It's a sensible thing to do.

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
why not hand them out to mixed doubles teams who didnt qualify already like carey/Hodgson.

Carey/Hodgson didn't play enough together in 2019-2020 to make it in via CMDR, and their combined CTRS is not high enough to make it in via CTRS. There is no handpicking allowed, so unfortunately they couldn't get in.

And I'm a big fan of Carey/Hodgson. One of my favorite curling moments is when they hugged it out after Jones/Nichols just killed their Olympic dream last time out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0D-SUvBYg&t=8m

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 01:33PM

03-22-21 01:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I think the question here is, since the 2 disciplines have nothing to do with each other why should 4 person team ranking mean anything. You would never award a 4 person team a wild card into the scotties or brier because the player was the top ranked mixed doubles player in the country

03-22-21 01:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Letting in at least some amount (20%) of pairs of elite curlers from the small pool of funded athletes if their combined ratings meet the threshold is a sensible thing to do. To do otherwise, i.e. to forbid them from even getting in, is stupid.

If IOC announces tomorrow that mixed 4-person curling is now an Olympic sport for 2022, how would you devise the criteria for the trials? You'd let elite curlers from the small pool of funded athletes to form up teams and let the highest rated ones fight it out for the right to represent the country. It's a sensible thing to do.

Carey/Hodgson didn't play enough together in 2019-2020 to make it in via CMDR, and their combined CTRS is not high enough to make it in via CTRS. There is no handpicking allowed, so unfortunately they couldn't get in.

And I'm a big fan of Carey/Hodgson. One of my favorite curling moments is when they hugged it out after Jones/Nichols just killed their Olympic dream last time out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0D-SUvBYg

I'm aware they didn't qualify from the criteria but this is a national championship so allowing teams that have literally never curled together before to compete is ridiculous. In fact some 9f these people competing give mixed doubles little to know thought and yet, because they are top players on 4 person here they are.

I think.the problem here is there's just to many teams. What they should have done was 1 provincial rep and then , let's say the top 8 doubles pairs in the ranking get in for a field of 24.

And I disagree with you premise because again 4 person results have avsolutleu nothing to do with mixed doubles si, no, I don't see this as a good idea or making sense.

As for your other question I would take a look at the results of the recent Canadian mixed championships and invite the top performers from there. Better then just throwing a bunch of people that have never played together before at the last minute just because they do well in mens/womens play

Last edited by misty1 on 03-22-21 at 01:40PM