Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 21 -- Thu, Apr 25 -- 7:00am ET
CAN (Flemming) 11  Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
PHI (Ochoco) Final
FIN (Kirjonen) 11  (8)
NOR (Davanger) 10  Final
CRO (Skendrovic) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > BC Scotties commentary

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-08-22 08:08PM
hoggedrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoggedrock Find more posts by hoggedrock Add hoggedrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

BC Scotties commentary

Overall, it’s a good production. But I’m finding John and Melissa really competing with each other for the mic.
And John competing to speak with the players he’s interviewing.
A bit frustrating to listen to.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-09-22 11:24AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I'm quite enjoying Cullen. He injects some personality and badly needed humor into the broadcast.

01-09-22 06:42PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

I used to like Mélissa but found her very critical of young BC team strategy.... she could have been right but didn’t make for great listening.

01-09-22 08:38PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

If it's the game I was watching, she wasn't right.
Those kids were alright, though.

Overall, the coverage of the western provinces on YouTube has been really, really good.

01-10-22 01:43AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I thought the references to "the Islanders" extremely annoying.

01-10-22 09:49AM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Alex, I know if I had counted, could easily been over 30 times. I got to yelling at tv.

01-10-22 10:01AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The beauty of YouTube is that it automatically generates transcript of the videos. It's not perfect, because it's done by AI, who may not get things 100% accurate. Once you have a transcript, you can just search for keywords and topic using ctrl+f.

"islanders" showed up almost 80 times in the transcript for the men's final.

01-10-22 10:12AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I enjoy Cullen's enthusiasm. When there was no curling on, he had Twitch viewing parties of older games.

01-10-22 10:17AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Nothing against Mary Anne and Brent Pierce, but was hoping the younger teams in the final would have come out of B.C.

01-10-22 10:43AM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

John Cullen is a national treasure. He is fun to listen to and a breath of fresh air. Great comedian too if he happens to be doing a show in your area!

01-10-22 11:54AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

'Islanders' showed up almost 80 times'.... curlingclips

My hound dog counted 81.

01-10-22 01:48PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer My hound dog counted 81.
Hah. Statue?

EDIT: omg this is my year equals post entry! 2022th. <3

01-10-22 03:38PM
BCcurler19 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCcurler19 Find more posts by BCcurler19 Add BCcurler19 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCcurler19
Knee-Slider

The only total that might be more than the number of times John said Islanders, is the number of positive COVID-19 cases that transmitted between curlers during the event. There are numerous positive tests and many more curlers with identical symptoms. It is disappointing, but not surprising.

01-10-22 11:54PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
I used to like Mélissa but found her very critical of young BC team strategy.... she could have been right but didn’t make for great listening.

Melissa was trying her best to be diplomatic, almost willing them to look at peeling the corner guard, but nope. I would be shocked if any high school team, never mind a junior team made that mistake, so... Melissa was not wrong, nor unkind. Just stating the obvious.

01-11-22 10:56PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I heard 'Islanders' so often I kept expecting to see Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, Dennis Potvin and Chico Resch step onto the ice....

01-11-22 10:59PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by BCcurler19
The only total that might be more than the number of times John said Islanders, is the number of positive COVID-19 cases that transmitted between curlers during the event. There are numerous positive tests and many more curlers with identical symptoms. It is disappointing, but not surprising.

Can you be more specific? Was Curl BC aware? As their protocols clearly state that a positive test result meant any athlete could not continue.

01-11-22 11:44PM
Warmside is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Warmside Find more posts by Warmside Add Warmside to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Warmside
Knee-Slider

My understanding is that the positives started showing up yesterday when teams were either home or on their way home. Many athletes are sick now but no one appeared to be symptomatic at the event.

01-12-22 10:29PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Interestingly John addressed his use of Islanders on Twitter. That is the name that the team wanted to be used. They wanted to have a team name rather than being known by the skips name. He curled with Paul Cseke for 10+ years.

01-13-22 12:11AM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Warmside
My understanding is that the positives started showing up yesterday when teams were either home or on their way home. Many athletes are sick now but no one appeared to be symptomatic at the event.

No one knows for certain because Curl BC has yet to say anything about this publicly.

All they've done is reportedly sent out a couple of emails to all parties that have downplayed the seriousness of the breakout.

What I have heard is that over half the teams have reported infections and symptoms. So at last 50 people or more have it. No word on volunteers, staff and ice crew.

01-13-22 09:11AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Your Experience With Omicron

It would be instructive if those BC players that got sick posted their experiences.
We hear a lot of confusing news about Omicron's mild symptoms, contradicting the rise in hospitalizations.

So if it's mild flu-like symptoms; a cough and tiredness, this is something we see every winter at some major curling event. I recall one Ontario Tankard game in Brantford where Graeme McCarrel, team Middaugh, was sitting on a chair between shots he was so sick.

On the other hand, 30,000 deaths and countless sick here in Canada, with maybe lifetime effects.
It's a tough decision either way.

01-13-22 09:15AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Valid question if it’s actually COVID as non-COVID illnesses are definitely around this year.

As for Omicron…it’s all about case numbers. Even if it’s half as bad that’s enough for massive hospitalizations if there are twice as many cases.

01-13-22 09:27AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Re: Your Experience With Omicron

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
It would be instructive if those BC players that got sick posted their experiences.
We hear a lot of confusing news about Omicron's mild symptoms, contradicting the rise in hospitalizations.

So if it's mild flu-like symptoms; a cough and tiredness, this is something we see every winter at some major curling event. I recall one Ontario Tankard game in Brantford where Graeme McCarrel, team Middaugh, was sitting on a chair between shots he was so sick.

On the other hand, 30,000 deaths and countless sick here in Canada, with maybe lifetime effects.
It's a tough decision either way.

I haven't looked in detail at how Canada reports their numbers, but I do know this; the way Covid has been reported on before in most places has just been a blanket "hospitalizations" number, but with the super-spreading Omicron that number is misleading and a lot of places are now switching how they report the hospital numbers. Depending where you look, 40 to 60% of the "hospitalization" numbers are people who went to the hospital for some other reason entirely and upon admission were swabbed for Covid as per hospital routine policy and discovered to have an incidental asymptomatic infection they didn't know they had. "Doctor, it hurts when I move my broken arm." "Yes, your arm is broken, and did you know you've got Covid too?" "No, I didn't!"

So the data needs to be collected now in two piles: hospitalized FOR covid and hospitalized WITH covid. The first one is the one to worry about as that's the one that if it gets too high will crush the hospitals. The second one, not so much, because those people were routine patients who would've been there in normal times anyway and get sent home if their primary problem gets resolved.

01-13-22 02:33PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Re: Your Experience With Omicron

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke

There's a simple explanation for that: Curl BC has a social media muzzle rule that threatens penalties to anyone who makes noise.