Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-09-21 09:51PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Fair enough. I at first thought he just had a flight and had to leave - like you said - work/family stuff. Positivity. :-) I hear ya. Thanks for the reminder. Like I said I thought (think) this team has a good mix.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-10-21 12:17AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Ok folks, Fresca and Legend are gone. Gerry has done the right thing and bet his site on this. Let's not let him down. Time to talk curling, the issues that it faces and not the trash those two put out there the last 15 years.

Lets be real curlers.

12-10-21 06:54AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Fair enough. I at first thought he just had a flight and had to leave - like you said - work/family stuff. Positivity. :-) I hear ya. Thanks for the reminder. Like I said I thought (think) this team has a good mix.

To be fair I thought the same thing. We’ll be seeing a team line up changes this Spring.

12-14-21 08:02PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

No update on 3rd for Team Bottcher yet. In fact, "Team Brendan Bottcher has scratched from the ATB Banff Classic, which is going to be held December 16th-19th." (link at Rockheads!)

12-14-21 08:49PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Drama

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
No update on 3rd for Team Bottcher yet. In fact, "Team Brendan Bottcher has scratched from the ATB Banff Classic, which is going to be held December 16th-19th." (link at Rockheads!)

Just my thoughts. If the evil Bottcher didn’t already have a wink wink nudge nudge agreement with someone already, then this was the worst cutting of a player EVER. Especially with Darren wanting to defend as Team Canada near his home town in front of his son. The real question is, who in their right mind would want to join a high drama team, especially from out of province, knowing the history of Simmons running away as fast as he could, to dumping a player that brought you ALL of your success. Hmmm. Nobody. Unless money talks. ....which wont be fully disclosed percentage wise....... I see a 3 man team and either a local pickup or a perpetual team jumper...Fry? Or even better, out of retirement Kevin Martin! My son my son.

Thoughts? Predictions?

12-14-21 10:53PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Re: Drama

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Just my thoughts. If the evil Bottcher didn’t already have a wink wink nudge nudge agreement with someone already, then this was the worst cutting of a player EVER. Especially with Darren wanting to defend as Team Canada near his home town in front of his son. The real question is, who in their right mind would want to join a high drama team, especially from out of province, knowing the history of Simmons running away as fast as he could, to dumping a player that brought you ALL of your success. Hmmm. Nobody. Unless money talks. ....which wont be fully disclosed percentage wise....... I see a 3 man team and either a local pickup or a perpetual team jumper...Fry? Or even better, out of retirement Kevin Martin! My son my son.

Thoughts? Predictions?

There's drama but the temptation of joining an established powerhouse who has a Brier spot and Slam spots will draw lots of interest.
I think he gets one of those young Alberta skips who has been knocking on the door but can't get past Koe/Bottcher.

12-14-21 11:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Drama

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

There's drama but the temptation of joining an established powerhouse who has a Brier spot and Slam spots will draw lots of interest.
I think he gets one of those young Alberta skips who has been knocking on the door but can't get past Koe/Bottcher.

GET IT IN WRITING.... with witnesses ...on video.. more witnesses. Devin and Colleen.
Can’t be trusted. #offteamcanada
Crushing.

12-14-21 11:40PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

About Darren not playing in Lethbridge in front of his son…he said that he wanted to quit the team in May. He must have known that would mean he wouldn’t be curling in the Brier.

12-15-21 09:56AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
About Darren not playing in Lethbridge in front of his son…he said that he wanted to quit the team in May. He must have known that would mean he wouldn’t be curling in the Brier.

Maybe that’s the one thing that gave him second thoughts about quitting and gave him incentive to stay for one more year?????

12-15-21 04:48PM
nordicanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nordicanuck Find more posts by nordicanuck Add nordicanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nordicanuck
Knee-Slider

Charley Thomas might be a decent pick-up as Bottcher's new third? Two-time World Junior champ from Alberta. Seems to have dropped off the radar a couple years ago.

12-16-21 09:22AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

They're possibly waiting for the Alberta Provincials to finish and then pick up someone who lost out.

It's also possible everyone is declining the offer...

12-16-21 10:47AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
They're possibly waiting for the Alberta Provincials to finish and then pick up someone who lost out.

It's also possible everyone is declining the offer...

It doesn’t have to be Alberta provincials. Can be anyone
in Canada.

12-16-21 11:20AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

It doesn’t have to be Alberta provincials. Can be anyone
in Canada.

True, but for practice and other logistics they may have their sights set on potential candidates close to home. Another Albertan may also lessen the backlash from the Moulding fiasco.

Last edited by biterbar on 12-16-21 at 12:34PM

12-16-21 03:44PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
pick up someone who lost [at provincials]

I believe there's a rule against trying again with a different province. In other words, I believe the rule is you had to declare which province you're playing out of, and if you lost in that playdown, you couldn't just try again for the same national competition at a second province, even if you're otherwise eligible had that been the province you declared in the first place.

I could be wrong on that (I really tried to understand Canadian rules, but they're honestly too complicated for me), and in any case, I'm not sure if that rule even applies for Team Canada anyway.

12-16-21 04:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

May not apply as Bottcher is team Canada

12-16-21 04:12PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I believe many fifths have been named after provincials are over. Some of them from different provinces

12-16-21 04:31PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
fifths have been named [...] from different provinces

Do you have any specific example to cite? I've seen instances where the losers of the provincial final is brought in as fifths for the provincial winners (Ted Appelman for AB in 2019, Tanner Horgan for NO in 2018, Kelsey Rocque for AB in 2020, Danielle Inglis for ON in 2018, etc.). That's fine, as far as I understand the rule, because they're still representing the same province that they had declared for for the season.

There's a rule allowing Free Agents to play for 2 different provinces (e.g. Joanne Courtney can play for ON in Scotties and for AB in mixed doubles provincial), but it's explicitly not to be used as a second path loophole for the Scotties/Brier.

I'm not aware of any example of someone who was eliminated in one Scotties/Brier provincial playdown brought to represent another province in the same Scotties/Brier, even as a fifth.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-16-21 at 06:51PM

12-16-21 07:14PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

They aren't really looking for a fifth. They need a real player, probably to play third. I don't know if that makes any difference with regard to eligibility.

12-16-21 07:24PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Yes, I know Team Bottcher is down 1 person for a 4-person Team Canada. I only mentioned fifths because guido did. I'm lowering the bar for the burden of proof for the claim that Team Canada can just pick up anyone from any province after playdowns.

I believe that is false. I believe that (a) a curler must declare which province they're playing out of for a particular Brier/Scotties, and there are no secondary paths via other provinces, and (b) Bottcher's Team Canada is bound by residency rules as if they're Team Alberta.

I could be wrong, of course. Please provide counterevidence if you have any, I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

12-16-21 09:28PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Tom Sallows from Alberta
Team Gushue fifth
Pat Jansens from Ont
Team Bottcher fifth
And I mentioned fifth as it’s easier to sign a fifth than a third I believe.

Last edited by guido on 12-16-21 at 10:10PM

12-16-21 10:15PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Tom Sallows from Alberta
Team Gushue fifth

At 2017 Brier (and possibly other Curling Canada events), Tom Sallows was not technically a fifth man for Team Gushue. He was not recognized by Curling Canada as an eligible player on the curling ice.

Don't just take my word for it, hear it from Brad Gushue himself.

https://youtu.be/s_8rC0f5gG0

In many ways Tom Sallows was the fifth man for Team Gushue. I'm sure he did wonderful things. I'm not trying to diminish his contributions at all. All I'm saying is, according to Curling Canada's own rules, Tom Sallows was not actually recognized as the fifth man for the team.

quote:
Pat Jansens from Ont
Team Bottcher fifth

Curling Canada does allow one Free Agent/import player from out of province. The question is, did Pat Janssen participate in Ontario provincial playdown for those Briers where he was recognized as fifth for Team Bottcher from Alberta?

As far as I can tell, Pat Janssen was fifth for Bottcher at Brier 2020 and 2021, and he did not participate in Ontario provincial playdowns for those years.

So the challenge still stands. Name one person who is recognized by Curling Canada as a fifth in a Scotties/Brier that had "died" in one province, but then "lived on" through another province.

I don't think such a person exists, because Curling Canada's rules are designed to prevent exactly that scenario.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-16-21 at 10:53PM

12-16-21 10:38PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Your sure aggressive. I gave you my 2 examples . That’s all I got. I’ll take my ball and go home.

12-16-21 10:49PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Your sure aggressive.

I hope it''s clear that I made no personal attack against you or anyone. I just really care about facts and truths in some situations (not always!).

12-16-21 10:58PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Responding politely is definitely not "aggressive".

12-16-21 11:02PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I hope it''s clear that I made no personal attack against you or anyone. I just really care about facts and truths in some situations (not always!).

Lol. No. I mean you are agressively searching for info.

I gave you all I got.