Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 13 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-20 11:40PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet

Totally agree

Agree

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-20 01:29AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

As it so happen, I clipped Jacob (NO)'s accidental kick of Bottcher (AB)'s stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-JmoRsSv8e

That was such a great moment for both of them, I thought, and I guess it's confirmed now since some of you thought the same.

There was also a situation at the Scotties, when Miskew's rock malfunctioned and triggered false hog line violations. Sweeting/Einarson let her rethrow it, which I'm not even sure is actually in the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38uh6w_Ir6M

03-20-20 10:10AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

IN-OFF-FOR-2

After his final year at Dal., my father joined the Mayflower CC in Halifax and curled for one year with Oyler's son, John.

03-20-20 10:49AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

From Team Gunner's FB:

Team Gunnlaugson
20 mins
Today we are saying goodbye to one of the best teammates you could possibly ask for.

Alex will be stepping away from the game for the foreseeable future.

It is no secret to anyone that Curling an amateur sport with a professional time commitment.

Trying to balance travel, family, work and practice is the hardest part about being a curler. Alex was an absolute pro at this balancing act.

Alex has made the decision to focus on his wonderful family his wife D’Arcy and his daughter Mila and son Bates.

We respect his decision 100% and will miss everything he brought to our team.

03-20-20 10:50AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
IN-OFF-FOR-2

After his final year at Dal., my father joined the Mayflower CC in Halifax and curled for one year with Oyler's son, John.

Nice. Curling, big family, small world.

03-20-20 11:47AM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop.

Kurt Cobain

03-20-20 11:55AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

If estimates ate true and a vaccine that everyone finds acceptable is 18 months away tje 2020-2021 season could be affected too.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-20-20 at 01:13PM

03-20-20 12:35PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

This is a new appraisal of the virus and shutdown situation that a) has light at the end of a 3-8 week tunnel and b) is based on a true data analysis and c) makes sense.

It's long, but the upshot is these extreme measures we're taking now will knock the virus transmission rate down to a level where we can start to open things up again, something like 8 weeks from now, and if testing in the affected places is up to the levels that South Korea or China have managed, then something like daily life (or a curling season) can probably resume at that point even before a vaccine is available.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coro...ce-be9337092b56

03-20-20 01:45PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Looks like the Military is ramping up to assist
General Vance Statement:
COVID might last two months or four months, but in a strategic planning guidance I would ask what happens if it lasts 12 months," Vance said.
"If we don't have to do and it doesn't come to pass — fine. If we don't ask the questions ahead of time, we can be surprised. What we try to do with this sort of thing is avoid surprises and have the forces necessary to do the job."
A truly worst-case scenario would involve public disturbances, he added.
"We are not considering that right now. We don't need to," Vance said. "What I don't want is, as soon as you mention military during a crisis people think troops with guns and weapons. People need to see the response as more akin to a humanitarian response."

03-20-20 02:03PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

So,the Team Walker announcement is that Laura is expecting in September.

03-20-20 02:38PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I have a question: This has noting to do with Jones team.
With today's rules on residency and birthright, does the fifth player player have to be from the province?
Using Homan's team as an example, and only because she comes to mind: Could her fifth player be born and live in Alberta?
I only ask this because at this years brier, Gushue's fifth who previously was an Alberta curler, was replaced by a home grown NFLD player. Coincidentallly, Walker took up residence in Alberta

03-20-20 02:46PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

And before anyone gets hot and bothered by this, Tom Sallow was and is a good friend of Walkers who was brought along because of his logistic support and organizational ability.
To my knowledge, he does not play in provincial play downs

03-20-20 03:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
And before anyone gets hot and bothered by this, Tom Sallow was and is a good friend of Walkers who was brought along because of his logistic support and organizational ability.
To my knowledge, he does not play in provincial play downs

I don't think there's s residency rules for 5th players. An example wood be last Olympics curling Canada imposed Cheryl Bernard from Alberta onto team Ontario that won the trials.

Also in Canadian juniors a pool of 5th players is provided the teams from local curlers so not residents of all provinces.

The only thing that nay throw a wrinkle in it is the new resident/ born rules.

03-20-20 03:18PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I don't think there's s residency rules for 5th players. An example wood be last Olympics curling Canada imposed Cheryl Bernard from Alberta onto team Ontario that won the trials.

You're confused. There was no such thing as Team Ontario at the trials.

Team Homan was not representing Ontario. Neither were Team Flaxey nor Team Tippin. There is no residency rules or provincial representation for the trials.

The Olympics is subject to rule 41 of the chapter, which is a different thing entirely.

03-20-20 03:28PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

You're confused. There was no such thing as Team Ontario at the trials.

Team Homan was not representing Ontario. Neither were Team Flaxey nor Team Tippin. There is no residency rules or provincial representation for the trials.

The Olympics is subject to rule 41 of the chapter, which is a different thing entirely.

So are you saying that hypothetically, if four people from four different provinces, would not participate in the brier or Scotties, and somehow qualify for the roar of the ring and residency, birthright would not count?

03-20-20 03:35PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

To go further, could them same players choose not to go to provincial play downs, but curl in the grand slams. Play in some minor bonspiels, get enough points to get to tier two, win the tier two and then play in grand slams?

03-20-20 03:55PM
MKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MKL Find more posts by MKL Add MKL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MKL
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
To go further, could them same players choose not to go to provincial play downs, but curl in the grand slams. Play in some minor bonspiels, get enough points to get to tier two, win the tier two and then play in grand slams?

Yes, I believe you are correct. A so-called "super-team" could form with high-end players from four different provinces, play in the Grand Slams and other bonspiels, skip the Brier/Scotties, and make the Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves. A bit like what Gushue did in bringing in Russ Howard in '05, and what Russ Howard did in '01 (Russ had qualified out of NB, and brought in brother Glenn from ON to play third). A scenario like that would be similar to the Brier boycott during the early days of the World Curling Tour. It would be at least moderately unlikely this would happen in large numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the changes to the residency rules was at least in part to try to stop this before it happened. Personally I think that almost all players would not want to give up the Brier/Scotties, but I don't know what they're thinking, or what their priorities are!

03-20-20 04:00PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Don't forget the Canada Cup path too. Canada Cup is not subject to residency rules, and a win can give you direct berth to the trials.

I'm a new fan, non-Canadian, so this residency and provincial representation thing is just silly to me. It plays such a small role within the curling universe that I consume.

I do appreciate that residency and provincial representation means a lot to those whose curling universe is primarily the Scotties and the Brier, though.

03-20-20 04:07PM
MKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MKL Find more posts by MKL Add MKL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MKL
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Don't forget the Canada Cup path too. Canada Cup is not subject to residency rules, and a win can give you direct berth to the trials.

I'm a new fan, non-Canadian, so this residency and provincial representation thing is just silly to me. It plays such a small role within the curling universe that I consume.

I do appreciate that residency and provincial representation means a lot to those whose curling universe is primarily the Scotties and the Brier, though.

Excellent point, I forgot about the Canada Cup path.

03-20-20 04:19PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Good point But how do you get into the Canada Cup?

03-20-20 04:21PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

To reiterate, this residency and provincial representation thing applies only to Scotties and the Brier.

Indirectly this also applies to the Worlds, because currently the only path to the Worlds is the Scotties and the Brier. This restriction is self-imposed by Canada, however; the Worlds don't care where the people in Team Canada lives as long as they're Canadians.

Similarly, the Olympics don't care where Team Canada lives as long as rule 41 of the Olympic Charter is not violated.

Grand slams is free-for-all and aren't even subject to rule 41. That's why Eve Muirhead (SC) was allowed to skip Team Hasselborg (SWE) when Anna was away with Oskar for mixed doubles worlds.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ev...-champions-cup/

Similarly, Morris (CAN) subbed for Shuster (USA).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/mo...-champions-cup/

There might've been some crazier multi-national teams in the grand slams in the past if you dig far enough.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-20-20 at 05:17PM

03-20-20 04:26PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Good point But how do you get into the Canada Cup?

Top 7 or 8 teams in Canada qualify for the Canada Cup

03-20-20 04:46PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Thank you to all for your posts answering my question.
Gonna start scrounging across Canada for the very best young curlers, sponsor them, and aim for the next olympic cycle.

03-20-20 04:51PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I will start by enrolling them in the University of Tuktoyatuk. So you can imagine what their crests will say.

03-20-20 05:25PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I found a comprehensive resource regarding residency and alternate players policy. It answers a lot of the common questions.

https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...y-requirements/
https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...gibility-rules/
https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...-player-policy/

quote:

Canada Cup – all four (4) players must be Canadian citizens. No age restrictions and no residency requirements.

Pre-Trials & Trials – all four (4) players must be Canadian citizens. No age restrictions and no residency requirements.