Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-20 04:13PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This 1987 Brier game between Russ Howard and Mark Noseworthy has probably a hundred "Right up!", I'm not even kidding.

Here's one moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJApMW0Rz7Q&t=9m30s

"HURR-RAY! Real hard! Hurry-hurry-hurry! Hurry-hurry! Come on! Come on! Right up! Right up! Right up! Come on! Right up! Right up!"

Here's another example, from Arsenault vs Einarson, 2018 Scotties semifinal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR2PlP88YrE&t=30m14s

(coast to coast sweeping) "Hard girls! Keep going!"

Then at the end:

"Okay! (broom raise)" / "Right up! Right up! (broom raise)"

It almost feels like "Right up!" is used near the end of vigorous sweeping, maybe to signal when to stop? I'm not 100% sure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-20 04:37PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
...if you watch again, you will see his fingers, under the handle (not his thumb) do indeed push the stone sideways a bit...

I can NOT see this, no. On pure visual, I just can NOT read some of the finer technical aspects of curling.

What I CAN see, is that relative to the center line, the stone does move sideways away from it faster after release. However, I would expect that to be the case anyway, whenever the arm/hand is used to add weight to the original kick from the leg drive (i.e. it's more to do with the additional speed than it is with a misdirection).

None of this confirms my suspicion that "whipping it" is related to arm/hand/extension/add technique and/or the trade-off between adding weight at the expense of accuracy, etc. I'm just purely guessing that "whipping it" is probably related to something you do with the hand/arm, that's all.

If you come up to a stranger out of the blue and point them to an object on the floor and ask them to "whip it", they'll probably do a hand/arm action. That'd be my guess from my understanding of the English language.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-19-20 at 04:45PM

11-19-20 04:45PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I can NOT see this, no. On pure visual, I just can NOT read some of the finer technical aspects of curling.

Clips... find clips of a couple of other close-ups of Edin's release. His draw releases will be cleaner, and hits should also be clean. This one, he had his paws all over it.

11-19-20 05:06PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm not joking, I think I have some sort of mental disability that makes it much harder for me to judge and measure human bodies at that level. This is probably why curling is one of the very few sports that I find appealing, because most of it is about the rocks, not the humans. It's not like figure skating, for example, where I just can't see a triple axel no matter how much you try to describe it to me.

Now, some people will disagree with me and say that curling is all about the humans, but just have a look at Wikipedia page for Al Hackner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Hackner

There's no photo of Al Hacker. There's a diagram for the Hackner double!

11-20-20 03:08PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

OK here's a fun one. Here's a clip of lead Dawn McEwen attempting a tricky hit-and-roll, missed the called shot, but got probably a better result with a much harder hit-and-roll going the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1ZRJwFICg&t=1h54m14s

Let's break down the conversation to understand what was said. I'm pretty sure I got it right for the most part, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Weagle's last shot is a "come around" that "tucks a piece" behind the corner guard ("Christmas tree" pattern). Jones wants to "chase" it, and Lawes asked if they want to "nose" it to get little to no roll. Jones clarified that she wants to hit it on the "high" side and roll away away from center line. Calling this shot requires "more ice" than nosing, which avoids being "cute" with the guard and thus less risk of "wracking" on it.

Bernard presciently pointed out that the rock will curl, and that "jamming" the takeout on their own rock in back 12 is a real possibility. In fact it did overcurl! Vigorous sweeping got them "by the guard" (barely!), but now they're not going to hit the rock where they originally wanted to and they risk "jamming" the takeout! Thankfully the rock continued to curl so much that they ended up hitting the rock on the "low" side (i.e. hitting it "cross-face", past the "nose" point of the rock, the opposite side that Jones wanted to hit of the rock).

By hitting it "low" side, they managed to roll their "shooter" in towards the centerline, tucking even more piece behind the guard!

They didn't execute the shot that they called for, but they instead pulled off a much harder shot, and arguably got a better result from it! (I believe this is called a "fluke" sometimes).

The next part is where I'm lost. The commentators, I believe, were joking around and called this "the Brooklyn". This is probably not serious, but can anyone explain this reference?

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-20-20 at 04:29PM

11-20-20 08:58PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
The next part is where I'm lost. The commentators, I believe, were joking around and called this "the Brooklyn". This is probably not serious, but can anyone explain this reference?

Brooklyn comes from 10 pin bowling. Normally to get a strike you want to hit the headpin on the high side. A brooklyn is when the ball curves too much and hits the headpin on the low side but still results in a strike.

11-20-20 09:40PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Brooklyn comes from 10 pin bowling. Normally to get a strike you want to hit the headpin on the high side. A brooklyn is when the ball curves too much and hits the headpin on the low side but still results in a strike.

Holy moly, that's a very satisfying answer! One theory for why it's called the Brooklyn (or apparently the Jersey if you're from Brooklyn) is pretty funny too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnHPqBJWck&t=37s

11-28-20 12:25AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Can I get confirmation on what "minimum" and "maximum" mean?

My understanding is that within the context of "putting down the broom", i.e. to give the correct amount of "ice" for a shot, there is a small range within which the shot is makeable. The low end is "minimum", and the high end is "maximum".

So in other words, if the ice is already at maximum, asking for more ice probably results in the line being too wide to make the shot. On the flip side, if the ice is already at minimum, asking for less ice probably results in the line being too tight to make the shot.

Between minimum and maximum, some adjustments either way may be acceptable.

Am I understanding that correctly?

11-29-20 06:39AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What does "Hard for a piece!" and "Hard to stick!" mean?

From what I can tell, it's basically an order for the sweepers to go hard because they're in danger of flashing a hit ("Hard for a piece!'"), or in danger of rolling out after a hit ("Hard to stick!"). How is that different than just a generic "Hard!", though, is what I'm wondering.

It sure adds to the drama when they're being so descriptive in their urgency, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else to it.

01-25-21 05:35AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What does it mean to 'baby' a delivery?

Example usage: 2018 Olympics, mixed doubles USA vs OAR, 5th end. Matt Hamilton tries to repeat his previous shot.

Matt: "Feels like a little more [weight than last time]..."
Becca: (checks stop watch) "Yeah it is..."
Matt: "I babied it, though..."

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-25-21 at 05:42AM