Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-13-21 09:55PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Looks like gushue has the same self-picking yellow rock as middaugh this morning

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-13-21 10:10PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Whomever from CC approved the extra sanding should be relieved of their duties. Watching the main game and highlights. teams are still STRUG-A-LING with it. (insert drunken Joe Namath interview here) Again, WHY? Who approved this decision? Come clean. Turn in your red coat. In the real world if someone made a decision this stupid, they'd be fired on the spot.

They put out a very brief commentary, but never said why, or who.

OH, and ML stop the cr@p about no switch until after 7....you made that up......again......for a change.

They switched after 5, thankfully.

03-13-21 10:10PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

What a crappy way to go out for Gushue

03-13-21 10:24PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

If we end up with a 4-way tie for first, I assume they play two semifinals and a final, but do they play both semis simultaneously? That seems like a big missed opportunity for TV. Of course, if they scheduled one of the semis earlier in the day, that winner would have a rest advantage for the Final.

TSN could stagger the starts of the semis (and start them before 2:30) so we could see the last half of each without creating too much of a rest advantage, but that would require doing something clever.

03-13-21 11:21PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Jeepers 2 sweeps from Howard and it's 6-5 going home. Longshot chance to steal-steal for the win but it's way better odds than get3-steal.
Gushue doesn't get manhandled in big games like that. Maybe Bottcher can avoid the Buffalo Bills 4 bagger if he keeps that up.
2 weeks now and as someone else here mentioned not one time has a player had a bad release or the wrong weight according to Russ. All flat path or fresh path or sharp rock.

03-13-21 11:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

At this point hoping first for Bottcher, then Dunstone, Like new blood. Not the old guy from Star Trek

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...=d8enQ0Zu9sFhKM

And I better get 8/10 for look a like points

03-13-21 11:38PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
At this point hoping first for Bottcher, then Dunstone, Like new blood. Not the old guy from Star Trek

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...=d8enQ0Zu9sFhKM

And I better get 8/10 for look a like points

Good to see comments about the curlers’ appearance isn’t only for the women. 🙄

What are you... 12 ?

03-13-21 11:51PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Every year I go to bed on Friday night before the Brier or scotties Saturday imagining a 9 way tie for the playoffs which is hard with only eight teams, and absolute chaos that will be impossible to sort out.

And then every year there’s no ties or one tie and it all works out cleanly.

BOOOOOOO

I want chaos.

03-13-21 11:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Maggie

I guess you haven't been on here long enough to know some of us, many of us, have sarcastic/humorous takes on curling. Lighten up. I've been exchanging barbs back and forth for years. I even enjoy the scrums back and forth with ML, the biggest poster and sh@t disturber on this site. It's all in good fun for the most part. Take a breath.

03-14-21 12:22AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Yeah, I should probably smile more, too, eh.

Carry on.

03-14-21 09:43AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Whomever from CC approved the extra sanding should be relieved of their duties. Watching the main game and highlights. teams are still STRUG-A-LING with it. (insert drunken Joe Namath interview here) Again, WHY? Who approved this decision? Come clean. Turn in your red coat. In the real world if someone made a decision this stupid, they'd be fired on the spot.

They put out a very brief commentary, but never said why, or who.

OH, and ML stop the cr@p about no switch until after 7....you made that up......again......for a change.

They switched after 5, thankfully.

I agree with this 100%. Wrong move by who ever decided it. I guess they didn't like the triples. draws to the pin and the pure entertainment on TV Friday night.

03-14-21 09:49AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

Howard's push for 8 ends

If you listen to the telecast this week Russ is on a mission to reduce the ends to 8 and to move the button behind the corners.

What's next, a few rubber bumpers to in of of!

Too much tinkering of a good thing.

03-14-21 09:57AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

While sanding the rocks partway through the championship round isn’t good, some teams were able to adapt. The Team Howard youngsters seemed a bit dazzled by the bright lights of being in the championship round. A few times Scott Howard didn’t sweep a rock out. Debating with Wayne on his calls - let him call the game. A quieter Johnny Mo meant Koe curled better. Gushue had a bad game! Plain & simple.

03-14-21 10:43AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

SERMON FROM THE LURKER

First point.
Ten years ago I was being called out on this forum as being an old man, when I was certainly not.
Well, that ship has sailed, and as I creep into senior discounts and more pills than I can remember I feel that my old man opinion needs to be aired out, at least once a year.

When I was young Saskatchewan, the boys and girls in arsenic green, was a curling power far beyond what is imagined today. We didn't always win, but dammit, we were always 'there', always in the mix.

The decades that have passed have taught us that it's not winning that is important, but participation.
At least that is what we tell ourselves. The fact is Saskatchewan's Brier drought cuts us until the green blood drains fully out of our body, heart and soul, and we are left in the puddle of consolation.

"They did good."
"Next year."

This years hope, like every year since Folk, was to make a good show. Catch a tiebreaker into the championship round. Cleanly making the semi-final is far beyond any expectation I had at the beginning of this tournament. Maybe beyond the expectations of most people, EXCEPT THE PARTICIPANTS.

The Boys In Arsenic Green have two very difficult games ahead of them, to bring the trophy back to where it belongs.
My best wishes to them and to quote a Saskatchewan late winter tradition.
"Which way are we going?"
"Higher"
"Which way?"
"HIGHER!"

Point 2.
In the battle of serious curling talk VS humanity, that happened on Curlingzone a number of years ago, seriousness won the day, to the detriment of the site and the site numbers.

While the contributions of certain posters, myself included, were not really missed, in fact it was a blessing some left for greener pastures, there also were so many outstanding posters who left for good - and this site is so much poorer for their absence.

I have watched a **** pile of curling from behind the glass, and over the years have had discussions about the games on the other side, plus casual conversations about girls, beer, politics, music, cars, girls, hell, I remember an indepth conversation about the ongoing Fauklands war.
And I also know......
Anyone who complained they wanted "serious curling talk" ended up in the snowbank.

I believe when CZ was set up it was for more than just one serious, boring line. I will give kudos to a few of the posters, who don't come here with a chip on their shoulder. To those who come with a purpose of brightening the dour. You know who you are. Keep it up.

Slam me if you feel like it.
I'll cry all the way back to my Curlingzone Poster Of The Year award.
Thank you J-Ho.

And in closing .
GO SASKATCHEWAN!
(I hope I don't jinx you guys.)

03-14-21 10:57AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Howard's push for 8 ends

quote:
Originally posted by freezetothehack
If you listen to the telecast this week Russ is on a mission to reduce the ends to 8 and to move the button behind the corners.

He's jumped on the Slamwagon with many others that want the Brier turned into just another slam. Too bad really. He sure took advantage of the original brier setup to go 14 times.

03-14-21 12:26PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

winner

Nothing against Koe but I'm hoping a new face wins. New blood. Trouble is they have to play each other first. Bottcher is due.

03-14-21 12:48PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

its going to happen. in fact, didnt i read somewhere that after thos olympic cycle that they will be going to 8 ends?. i thought i remembered reading that somewhere

only a matter of time before this turns into another slam. teams will just be invites based on standings . no more provincial teams

03-14-21 01:09PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I'm actually surprised they didn't go to 8 ends for this year's Brier, Scotties and World's using covid as an excuse to get it over with. It's going to be 8 ends soon and I'm on board.
Russ keeps talking about moving the draw to the button around to keep the pebble from wearing in the middle. How about you just re-pebble after the draw to the button if it's such a problem. And maybe re-pebble after 5 (or 4). I prefer none of the above as adapting to changing ice and knowing what path is heavy vs light is one of the things that separates the great ones from the rabble. It is not the crapshoot that Russ would have us believe.
Koe is already in my top 5 curlers of all time (Martin, Gushue, Hackner, Middaugh) and winning another Brier would put him clearly at the top.

03-14-21 01:10PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:

I'm fine with 8 ends but Slams, WCT events etc but not for events where it really matters.

03-14-21 01:39PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Biggest falls at the Brier:

3. Mike McEwen - came in with low expectations and failed to exceed them.
5. Jason Gunnlaugson - a high flyer the first half of Brier; running into telephone poles & speed bumps entire 2nd half.
7. Adam Casey - exposed as an average club lead suddenly injected into the biggest stage of them all. If this was WWE-scripted it would have had a better ending.

Yes I think the McCruthers experiment has run it's course. They have never really meshed and the front end doesn't measure up to other teams. I expect both to move on with younger players after the trials for the next (and probably their last) Olympic cycle.
Gunner has more reason for optimism. He played a bit better at this Brier and his front end is strong, I think he should throw Gauthier in at 3rd right away as Casey is just an OK journeyman front ender.

03-14-21 01:42PM
Icebound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Icebound Click here to Send Icebound a Private Message Find more posts by Icebound Add Icebound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Icebound
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Howard's push for 8 ends

If you look at the 5-FGZ Brier stats for the 3 years including this year, you will see that 2/3 of games are essentially "decided" with 4 ends to go... 3/4 are "decided" with 2 ends to go. So most games are already "decided" well before the 10th end.

The reason is, that if you fall behind by 2 or more, after 6... or even if you fall just 1 behind but without hammer in the 7th... only 6 games in 168 "came back" from that scenario.

That means that... if you move it back to 8 ends, then "4-ends-to-go" is the half time break. It turns out that the number of "2-down", or "1-down-without" is not a great deal different between the 4th and 6th end.

So it means that 2/3 of the games would be essentially DONE at halftime, and 3/4 would be "done" at 6 ends.

Even if the players don't admit it, and play on.

Are such short games going to hold spectator's interest?

Also, the hammer in the first end has already become more important with the 5-FGZ, now at 65-35. That will be exacerbated in shorter games.

03-14-21 05:33PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

All Alberta final. And like I mentioned, possibly the best Alberta team not there.

03-14-21 05:37PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Tremendous shot by Bottcher under extreme pressure, but I fear he might become the Buffalo Bills of Canadian curling tonight. Pulling for Koe because this might be his last stand.

03-14-21 05:42PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Clutch. Go Bottcher Go

03-14-21 05:56PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Tremendous shot by Bottcher under extreme pressure, but I fear he might become the Buffalo Bills of Canadian curling tonight. Pulling for Koe because this might be his last stand.

Rooting for the Koe. How cool that'd be, a fifth Brier win.