M: Humpty's Champions Cup
Calgary, AB
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 9 -- Sat, Apr 17 -- 8:00am MT
Gushue Final
De Cruz (8)
Jacobs Final
Dunstone (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-07-21 11:15PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
The brier should be a 12 team tournament . TC plus all the private and territories. But only 1 team out of the bottom 4. One wildcard.
And on another note, John Morris should shut his pie hole.

I think that’s what Koe said, in the 9th Koe stayed down the other end, then mumbled something about Morris moving the broom.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-07-21 11:20PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I think that’s what Koe said, in the 9th Koe stayed down the other end, then mumbled something about Morris moving the broom.

Not just that, it’s all game long. He thinks he’s the only one that knows the game..

03-08-21 01:01PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:

You know when Cheryl Bernard, who doesn't want to criticize anyone, makes a comment about "too many cooks" during one point where Morris and Hebert were both politicking for their preferred call while Koe couldn't get a word in that it's a problem. I really hope they run out of time.

03-08-21 01:25PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

You know when Cheryl Bernard, who doesn't want to criticize anyone, makes a comment about "too many cooks" during one point where Morris and Hebert were both politicking for their preferred call while Koe couldn't get a word in that it's a problem. I really hope they run out of time.

They are four and zero. Must not be the worst system.

03-08-21 01:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Kevin Koe has earned a reputation as Curling's #1 KLOK-EATER . . .

I don't think he's ever been fried by the timeclock though!

These guys know how the clock works and the fact remains you can actually play a panic end in well under 75 seconds with time to spare.

Beej is no longer the control 3rd on Team Koe, the real vice is Johnny Mo and Morris was spawned by the notorious curling gangsta' Kevin Martin, so Johnny gonna get his words & theories in no matter what.

Benny also questions shots when ends get intricate and BJ will occasionally chime in but Beej is not yet thought of as one of curling's great minds (great shot-smith though)

BJ also serves as back-up time-keeper, too!

Keep in mind with 3 minutes worth of timeouts if a team is down to under 10 minutes w/ 3 ends to play (a warning sign) then they really have 13 minutes of game clock (thinking time) left.

I would say there would be some panic on a team with under 6 minutes left and 3 ends to play, especially if they only had zero or 1 timeout left.

Smart guys know when time panic is near - and they know how to deal with it. USUALLY!

03-08-21 01:41PM
rosey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rosey Find more posts by rosey Add rosey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rosey
Knee-Slider

quote:

Koe asked Morris for more ice and then missed the shot wide...he was muttering that he should not have asked for the broom to be moved and that Morris' original broom was right.

03-08-21 03:17PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

To break the drudgery & monotony of 3 televised draws per day TSN should really bring aboard (via Skype or Zoom) noted guest commentators. My nominees would be:

1. Jill Officer (if she's not locked up by Bell/Sportsnet)
2. Jennifer Jones (she's really well-spoken on curling shots & strategy)
3. Kerri Einarson (a bit giddy at times but she deserves a shot)
4. Rachel Homan (lets see what she can do, although waiting for Baby #2 prolly more her priority)
5. Don Duguid (if he's still verbal)
6. Matt Baldwin (same as #5)
7. Ron Northcott
8. Jeff Stoughton or Jon Mead

No more than 3 ends for any of above - perhaps only 1 end for older guys like Duguid, Baldwin, Northcott, Ernie, etc.

All this contingent on live coverage. If the coverage on guest commentator's TV is same as what fans see, then all is OK. If its delayed by a few seconds, the idea falls flat.

Its not so much having these folks do accurate and hard-core analysis. Just catching up with the greatest players of our game, finding out where they're at and giving fans a bit more juice!

PS. If they did a survey I'm pretty sure Duguid & Jones would be at the top. Ernie Richardson or Baldwin might be #3.

03-08-21 03:29PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
To break the drudgery & monotony of 3 televised draws per day TSN should really bring aboard (via Skype or Zoom) noted guest commentators. My nominees would be:

1. Jill Officer (if she's not locked up by Bell/Sportsnet)
2. Jennifer Jones (she's really well-spoken on curling shots & strategy)
3. Kerri Einarson (a bit giddy at times but she deserves a shot)
4. Rachel Homan (lets see what she can do, although waiting for Baby #2 prolly more her priority)
5. Don Duguid (if he's still verbal)
6. Matt Baldwin (same as #5)
7. Ron Northcott
8. Jeff Stoughton or Jon Mead

No more than 3 ends for any of above - perhaps only 1 end for older guys like Duguid, Baldwin, Northcott, Ernie, etc.

All this contingent on live coverage. If the coverage on guest commentator's TV is same as what fans see, then all is OK. If its delayed by a few seconds, the idea falls flat.

Its not so much having these folks do accurate and hard-core analysis. Just catching up with the greatest players of our game, finding out where they're at and giving fans a bit more juice!

PS. If they did a survey I'm pretty sure Duguid & Jones would be at the top. Ernie Richardson or Baldwin might be #3.

Officer, Stoughton and Mead all did Manitoba playdowns at one time or another. Officer and Mead were quite good, Stoughton was not. I would like to see Wayne Middaugh announcing after his playing days are done.

03-08-21 04:59PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Officer, Stoughton and Mead all did Manitoba playdowns at one time or another. Officer and Mead were quite good, Stoughton was not. I would like to see Wayne Middaugh announcing after his playing days are done.

If you compare Stoughton to Kevin Martin he's horrid . . . but compared to Husky Harris he's great . . . ! ! !

03-08-21 07:20PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Harvey Hacksmasher

I’m enjoying watching Grattan doing so well at the Brier so far. I’m usually one to hope for the underdog and don’t have a team that I care about winning this year so it’s fun to see the higher seeds lose once in awhile.

03-08-21 08:16PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

How many briars does stoighten have? If that’s horrible stick your head back in the sand.

03-08-21 08:17PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

me too. this is the kind of thing that just usually doesnt happen at the brier. hopefully he can keep it going and make the championship pool

03-08-21 09:50PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
How many briars does stoighten have? If that’s horrible stick your head back in the sand.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with auto spell, I have the problem of huge thumbs, but it's Brier and Stoughton.

I do agree though, surely, a multiple Canadian champ would have intelligent commentary, especially regarding strategy.

03-08-21 10:42PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

No knock against Stoughton. He was a tremendous curler. Monopolized Manitoba for nearly 20 years - 3 Briers, 2 World golds. Lost to Gushue's Brain (Russ Howard) by an inch to go to the Olympics.

But he's not a broadcaster. Broadcasters know how to tell stories. Jeff went crazy on almost every shot. He didn't know how to build drama for the story. Every shot was an atomic bomb. The great broadcasters start soft and when circumstances dictate - it ends in a ROAR . . .

Vic Rauter has the stuff, just doesn't know the game. But Vin Scully couldn't toss a 90 mph fastball and wouldn't hit over .025 in pro ball. But he was a great baseball/football broadcaster. Same with Keith Jackson, Jim Nantz, Ray Scott, Don Wittman, Don Chevrier, etc.

03-08-21 10:47PM
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with auto spell, I have the problem of huge thumbs, but it's Brier and Stoughton.

I do agree though, surely, a multiple Canadian champ would have intelligent commentary, especially regarding strategy.

You would think so but he didn't. The TV folk must have agreed cuz his time with the mike was short lived.

This Que-NS game is very entertaining. Love the jammed 4 foot every end.

03-08-21 10:49PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well, ML, you know what they say about opinions. I thought Jeff Stoughton did just fine as a colour commentator and I find Vic Router’s feigned ignorance a tad annoying.

03-08-21 11:08PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
Well, ML, you know what they say about opinions. I thought Jeff Stoughton did just fine as a colour commentator and I find Vic Router’s feigned ignorance a tad annoying.

You're definitely more right than wrong about Stoughton. He was very serviceable as a color guy.

As for Rauter - I'd rather have feigned ignorance vs. feigned arrogance. He'd be totally intolerable.

Vic knows Russ, Linda, Moose, Crystal are curling legends. He's an intellectual dwarf when it comes to thinking thru the sport - so he does the best he can given the math. I'll take Vic over Blathering Rod Black every day!

03-08-21 11:30PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Nice shot by dunstone to the pot

That light draw by brad giving up two was a killer deja vu all over again - seems i have seen that one before

Nice triple by ns

03-08-21 11:58PM
Maggie
Harvey Hacksmasher

If Gushue wins the Brier this year he will be only the second men’s team to win two separate back to back national championships. The only other team to do it is the Richardsons.

03-09-21 06:39AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Correction ML. Stoughten lost to Russ Howard rink in the Olympic trials, end the Russ Howard rink went on to win Olympic gold. At the olympics name of team is determined by the skips name. Without Howard, Gushue would have never seen the olympics that year.

03-09-21 09:09AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Correction ML. Stoughten lost to Russ Howard rink in the Olympic trials, end the Russ Howard rink went on to win Olympic gold. At the olympics name of team is determined by the skips name. Without Howard, Gushue would have never seen the olympics that year.

You are absolutely 100% technically correct. Russ Howard skipped the Gushue organization in the Olympic trials, crescendoing with Olympic gold. But he shot 2nd stone. Only brought aboard in a bit of twisted panic because those around Gushue knew while he was a great young shot-maker his curling mind hadn't fully developed. Howard was the brilliant stop-gap answer . . . . and it served to stop the most proficient curling team of its time - that of Jeffrey Stoughton.

03-09-21 09:17AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Wonder if mass panic has set in yet on teams named Jacobs, McEwen & even Goo-Gushue.

2 losses, still early!

I have no doubt at least 2 of these teams will qualify for the 8 team run-off . . . but one of them might have 3 losses, the other coming in off a tie-breaker with 4 losses.

I suspect Mr. Smiling & Relaxed (McEwen) knows his days are numbered. Gunner put him down with relative ease - that should be a major message.

I'm confident Goo will find a way to get to 5-3, if not 6-2 but he flubbed badly yesterday.

Jacobs is completely out of sorts and their hired gun Mr. Kennedy can't continue barfing up 69% games!

At least Beej got off McEwen's Titanic before it was too late!

03-09-21 12:23PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

I would like to see names io
Wc1224466

Unforced error = miss
Some announcers think its cute

Ice is inconsistent
Takes fun out of game

Is there fibres on blue surface they all walk on ?
Are the pipes under ice too far apart ?
Are sweepers too powerful and destroying pebble and surface ?

Im thinking the caedboard faces are to blame ???

Btw i dont buy its the same for everyone - based on wide open misses and many draws 12' light or heavy

If tsn agrees to show every shot in the end, ill zoom a couple of ends commentary alone - ill stick mostly to strategy - thou i may mention that in the old days curlers looked better without those silly beards -

Last edited by fresca on 03-09-21 at 12:37PM

03-09-21 12:56PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Thinking waynes first shot was bad choice

Wasnt far from making it but it didnt help much

Then full miss for the steal

First shot shud have been finesse rearrangement - then the clean up

03-09-21 01:37PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Then a great finish.

I tell you what, I think if this Middaugh fellow sticks with the curling he might turn out to be pretty good someday.