Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-21 11:04PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
17% drop in viewers for opening weekend and 30% drop for Sunday's final
https://www.thestar.com/sports/curl...-from-2020.html

That's surprising. Didn't realize Heartland would take away that many viewers.
I know quite a few people dropped TSN and SN when there was no sports on in the spring but that can't account for such a big drop.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-21 12:11AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

TSN should get guest colour people. There are always teams not playing. Have guests do 5 ends each. Would be a good break from the norm.

03-04-21 02:03AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I think part of the reason for the drop in TV audience is because many people had no idea the 'Scotties' was being played this year.
After almost a full winter of no live curling on TV - only repeats after repeats from the past few years -, I think a lot of people were lulled into the belief that there would be no live curling this year.

In a usual year, the 'Scotties', Brier, and the 2 World Championships are the climax and crescendo of a full season. When there is no season, there's no doubt that many would not expect the crescendo.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-04-21 09:37AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

That's surprising. Didn't realize Heartland would take away that many viewers.
I know quite a few people dropped TSN and SN when there was no sports on in the spring but that can't account for such a big drop.

You're onto something. I was one of many to cancel my Sportsnet/TSN channels once the pandemic sank its teeth into the North American sports psyche.
Only brought back TSN 5 channels day before STOH began - needed it to because the manitoba TSN (Jets) was unable to carry the Scotties playoff games due to "other" committments.
Cost me $24 to watch Scotties & Brier plus a decent bonus of getting a handful of Winnipeg Jets games, too!

Sportsnet package = $15 including Golf Channel. Having TSN + Sportsnet channels added = $39 which is $10 more than I pay for my device including phone & data.

Will cancel after Brier. Bring back for last month and playoffs from CFL.

Saving about $650-$750 on my cable/internet pkg. from Bell.

03-04-21 09:44AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido
TSN should get guest colour people. There are always teams not playing. Have guests do 5 ends each. Would be a good break from the norm.

Thats actually a good idea. Unless TSN forced "guest commentators" to sign waivers agreeing not to criticize teams and/or individual curlers.

03-04-21 09:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
I think part of the reason for the drop in TV audience is because many people had no idea the 'Scotties' was being played this year.
After almost a full winter of no live curling on TV - only repeats after repeats from the past few years -, I think a lot of people were lulled into the belief that there would be no live curling this year.

In a usual year, the 'Scotties', Brier, and the 2 World Championships are the climax and crescendo of a full season. When there is no season, there's no doubt that many would not expect the crescendo.

i dont know. scotties was pretty heavily advertised. id see commercials for it all the time. the brier, in contrast has not. we'll see.

03-04-21 10:12PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i dont know. scotties was pretty heavily advertised. id see commercials for it all the time. the brier, in contrast has not. we'll see.

Brier will have significantly higher numbers than Scotties. For one, most of the teams will curl minimum 70% games, lots of matches will feature 83% vs. 90% shot-making.

The Scotties was the big advert for the Brier.

Prediction: Brier numbers will be higher draw by draw and definitely for playoffs. 10 to 22%, perhaps more!

03-04-21 10:26PM
spider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spider Click here to Send spider a Private Message Find more posts by spider Add spider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spider
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Thats actually a good idea. Unless TSN forced "guest commentators" to sign waivers agreeing not to criticize teams and/or individual curlers.

Kind of like how you give unusual or demeaning nicknames to players on here?

03-04-21 10:33PM
spider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spider Click here to Send spider a Private Message Find more posts by spider Add spider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spider
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I’m going to post here with my American hat firmly in my head. You don’t know how lucky you are to have the TSN crew you’ve got. Compared to any American coverage I’ve ever seen, or heck any coverage from other countries too, the TSN commentators and crew are light years ahead of all of them. And were I a Canadian, I would call Vic a national treasure.

Respect!

03-05-21 02:24AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

I'm one who normally rolls my eyes at the commentary but this year, I'm just glad to have live curling on TV. Kudos to the teams that have brought streaming to the internet, but prefer seeing it on TV whenever possible.

03-06-21 11:41AM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Did alex forrest retiire from curling ?

Was always impressed by him

03-06-21 12:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Did alex forrest retiire from curling ?

Was always impressed by him

Alex stepped back from the game for family timem

03-06-21 01:35PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Does any one knowledgable know what happened to brendans last rock

Was kinda watching mcewan miss

NARROW ?
Picked?
Other ?

Id rather ty dint split screen btw - is hard enuf to see full screen with my old eyes

03-06-21 03:47PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I think narrow. Caught quite a bit of his own.

03-06-21 04:07PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

During the Scotties and now during the Brier Russ has commented about how hard it is to remake the ice between draws and has quipped "you can't make water freeze faster" causing chuckles from his cohorts. Spoiler alert: there are quite a few ways to make water freeze faster.

03-10-21 12:26PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watching Dunstone/Koe this morning. Would someone please put a muzzle on Cathy G? Talking incessantly, often over the players with a lot of repetition of the obvious.

Last edited by Bmalky on 03-10-21 at 12:57PM

03-10-21 12:58PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky
Watching Dunstone/Koe this morning. Would someone please put a muzzle on Cathy G? Talking insessantly, often over the players with a lot of repetition of the obvious.

That's why I"m getting carpal tunnel in my thumb from constantly hitting MUTE.

03-11-21 12:51AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Harvey Hacksmasher

My few thoughts on the coverage:

1) Big picture, curling needs to realize it isn’t just some niche sport. The Scotties Final drew just under 700,000 viewers. The Stanley Cup Final last year drew an average of around 1.1M in Canada. Now TV numbers I inherently don’t trust (especially with more and more streaming), but the point is curling, especially the big events, draw significant numbers. I’d be curious to understand the contract negotiations between CC and TSN.

2) Vic is great. He’s truly the voice of curling. When there’s a big shot, there’s no one else I’d want narrating it, save for the late Don Wittman. He can stop “playing the fool” though (could have stopped 20 years ago). This goes to point #1. Curling viewers are knowledgeable about the game and can be treated as such.

3) Russ is good. He’s knowledgeable and has the pedigree. Cheryl is too nice to a fault. Having two analysts lacks utility if they always agree. Watching some old broadcasts made me appreciate how good and assertive Linda was.

4) There’s massive room for improvement on any sort of modest analytics or technology to add to the broadcast. Someone mentioned this earlier, but why not chart the different paths of a Homan takeout and Jones takeout to show people visually the difference in curl. Why are “percentages” the only way we can evaluate a player? Why did we lose the basic rock clock a number of years ago? Why are we not being told “teams that lead by X after X ends win X % of games”. There just seems like endless opportunities to add to the broadcast.

5) The keys to the game being no more than puns is an insult to viewers. Either offer something informative or get rid of the segment.

6) Grand scheme - the main crew are broadcasting 7 hours per day, which probably isn’t appreciated enough. I imagine a bulk of the production crew is there for all three draws. They do a good job.

03-14-21 04:05PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I'm one who normally rolls my eyes at the commentary but this year, I'm just glad to have live curling on TV. Kudos to the teams that have brought streaming to the internet, but prefer seeing it on TV whenever possible.

I use the mute button just as often

03-14-21 04:55PM
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Noodle

I use the mute button just as often

The mute button is a viewer's best friend.

03-14-21 09:26PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Wndr who the maroon is at tsn that thinks viewers want to watch 4 shots from 2019 brier instead of lead shots tonight

Tv - sucking the life out of curling

03-14-21 10:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Wndr who the maroon is at tsn that thinks viewers want to watch 4 shots from 2019 brier instead of lead shots tonight

Tv - sucking the life out of curling

l sure hope that TSN uses those pictures for the next 3 events. I can't get enough of the Richardsons. Although wouldnt mind seeing a pic of Putin sitting beside the women from NL.