Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-24-21 02:59PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Guaranteed next AB draw he'll mention how they've "overcome" the Alberta Streak. Also Russ will say "exactly" 10 times and Cheryl will say sittin' and hittin'

My pet peeve is rather than saying that spot runs straight or that spot doesn't curl when they miss a shot, how about the truth, THEY MISSED THE BROOM. They dumped it wide, or turned it in and it curled out of their hand. They threw it 10 feet heavy, they pulled the string and were way too light.
Sometimes the truth hurts, but it needs to be told.

Oh that wasn't the outcome they were looking for. No, they dumped it and missed the shot.

Here endeth the rant.

If Russ, Cheryl or Rauter read the stuff on this site criticizing teams and individual players, coaches, etc. they'd simply faint.
Even the meekest and the most timid posters on this site are more critical of the curlers and their lack of made shots + weak strategy. The TSN crew would be shaking their heads for weeks after reading just a few threads on CZ.

Seriously, Chery & Vic may actually go into shock & convulsions after reading a few dozen of our comments over a few threads.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-24-21 at 11:10PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-24-21 10:42PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Hitting Paint

Why do some of you people even watch? Don’t like announcers? MUTE.

02-25-21 12:19PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

You really shouldn't have to watch something on mute though

02-25-21 12:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
Why do some of you people even watch? Don’t like announcers? MUTE.

So instead of pointing out problems and asking for better we should just stick our heads in the sand? Yah, that's the answer. Don't like what the government is saying and doing? Just don't listen!!!

02-26-21 07:10PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Seriously!

This might be my most serious post in years concerning TV coverage of the 2 biggest events - Scotties & Brier.

Say what you want about the announcers, Cheryl, Russ, Vic, Brian, Cathy, etc. and the other peeps on the other network. They all have their foibles, strengths & weaknesses. I'll leave it at that. But the #1 weakness has little to do with announcer quality.

Its game presentation. There is no excuse for TSN to religiously stick with one game and only show a smattering of last rock hi-lites of other games.

In a 10 day long adventure marked by a plethora of poor shots and a paucity of great ones why can't a TV crew of dozens, maybe 100+ individuals with multiple cameras and microphones switch to tighter games and great shots - not just showing a last rock here and there in between ends.

I know its a big ask. TSN executives are more immune to change than a boiled owl. They refuse to adapt to what we, the viewers want. Show more great shots, even if it means missing a few lead & 2nd rocks in your so-called feature game presentation.

Not doing this is a trail back into the dark ages of curling when no games were televised and only a smattering of old 16mm film remains. Or when Television burst on the scene in the early 50s, no real coverage of Brier or Women's games occurred until around 1966 and then only a nightly hi-lite package and from 1967 onwards, the Brier final, first in black & white, then finally in color around 1970.

When TSN arrived in 1984 some round-robin coverage and then playoffs, tie-breakers until CBC took over the finals (Duguid, Wittman)...

If Sportsnet can shift cameras around to cover more interesting and spectacular non-feature match shots why can't TSN. Prolly because Sportsnet does it - TSN doesn't want to be copycats.

Thats the worst reason! If you are that incompetent you can't televise great shots from other sheets you are lying to the viewers who support your sponsors and your sport.

GET IN THE GAME TSN. ITS ABOUT TIME . . . ! ! !

02-26-21 08:03PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

I also wish they would do a little digging on some stories.
For example Vic has explained several times how the rocks do not have hog line detectors in them. He says there is a problem in the supply chain. So far so good.
But there should be some follow up questions. I would find it interesting if they did an interview with the icemaker and he explained how the thing works, what is missing and why they couldn't just use old handles.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-26-21 at 08:09PM

02-27-21 03:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It is time for Russ Howard to watch the game from the comfort of his lazy boy chair. I have yet to be hear him say someone threw bad. It’s either a run in the ice, flat pebble, unmatched rocks, frost, lack of turn, slide path or fresh pebble. Pretty soon it will be lack of lighting, speed of time clocks or the moons magnetic force.
Why not say they threw light or heavy, wide or inside??????

Oh, forgot, he was blaming Cameron’s slider last night.

02-27-21 04:50PM
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
It is time for Russ Howard to watch the game from the comfort of his lazy boy chair. I have yet to be hear him say someone threw bad. It’s either a run in the ice, flat pebble, unmatched rocks, frost, lack of turn, slide path or fresh pebble. Pretty soon it will be lack of lighting, speed of time clocks or the moons magnetic force.

LMAO. All these years I thought I just had bad touch and it was my slider all along!!!

02-27-21 05:35PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

14 time Brier participant , 2 time champion, 2 time world champion and oh, Olympic Gold Medal.. I guess his resume doesn't show any experience. Russ mentioned the slider because it can be a reason for a drift especially for a tuck delivery. He's trying to find a reson for her drift when she's such a strong hitter. Yes, he repeats things, but really listen to him. I play with a lot of people who don't know about angles, or how the different turns react on hits, let alone about their equipment. It's great for newer or inexperienced players to hear some of the finer points of the game!

02-27-21 06:10PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Russ took an oath when he was brought on board TSN to replace legendary Moose Turnbull to never, ever criticize a curler or team for weak, pathetic, indifferent or all out bad shooting. Its infected the rest of the TSN announcers as no one wants to say "Missed shot", "Missed Broom", "Bad Weight Choice", etc.

It ain't gonna change anytime soon so get used to it.

Everyone is a homer at TSN. Every single 1 . . . ! ! !

02-27-21 08:21PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky

14 time Brier participant , 2 time champion, 2 time world champion and oh, Olympic Gold Medal.. I guess his resume doesn't show any experience. Russ mentioned the slider because it can be a reason for a drift especially for a tuck delivery. He's trying to find a reson for her drift when she's such a strong hitter. Yes, he repeats things, but really listen to him. I play with a lot of people who don't know about angles, or how the different turns react on hits, let alone about their equipment. It's great for newer or inexperienced players to hear some of the finer points of the game!

What does playing accolades have do with the FACT that he never says a player missed? That all my post is about. It would be good for the others unexperienced ego to hear that a top end curler is not perfect.

02-27-21 09:18PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LMAO. All these years I thought I just had bad touch and it was my slider all along!!!

It is definitely time this site incorporates a "like" button.

Others have posted, including myself, they rarely/never say oh they blew that shot or they missed the broom by 2 feet an 10 heavy, and that's why they flashed the hit. No need to be the Johnny Miller of curling, but for the love of God, tell it like it is instead of pretending it"s 5 different reasons they missed the shot.
That's right up there with the over exaggerated % they give for shots. EVERY single one should 10-25% less if they gave scores on the results of the called shots, NOT vs how it ended up after 5 rocks pin-/balled and then gave the score on the end result. From what I've seen there's been very few over 80%, let alone the miracle 94% they give the popular/fan favourite/ high profile players. Just the "eye test" tells most knowledgeable curlers they're biased. It's not as if fewer people will watch if the true % is 70 vs the 90% they give out like candy. So the real question is why? Either teach the scorers to score properly, or just do away with it altogether. In fact, the only % that really counts is winning %.

Oh by the way 4 shots so far, sorry, my fault...and only 2 ends in. She better pace herself. Oh another sorry, make that 5 shots.

02-28-21 04:58PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

What does playing accolades have do with the FACT that he never says a player missed? That all my post is about. It would be good for the others unexperienced ego to hear that a top end curler is not perfect.

I can see when a player misses. The player knows they missed. Sometimes, people don't know why they missed. I like when commentators in any sport talk about mechanics or equipment problems leading to misses. The end where the slider was mentioned, Russ also mentioned other factors that could lead to the miss. That's what's great about this site, people can express their opinions. I only wish I could do it around the round table at my curling club.

02-28-21 10:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Any time Dick Rauter opens his yap and starts to speak, most curlers cringe. "would you ever?"

"Do you think?"......

Any time he starts a sentence like this Russ and Cheryl have their thumb and finger held to the bridge of their nose, saying, "really?"

He's been around long enough to to know answers before he says something stupid. Stop playing the buffoon and TRY to ask something intelligent. Might be time for him to go back to the white water kayaking commentating...........

03-01-21 10:00AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Weak event for Russ

I enjoy watching the curling on TSN for the Scotties and the Brier, and I realize that this year's event was very different from past years with the Covid-19 bubble restrictions, but this was a weak event for the TSN announce crew and specifically Russ.

His shot analysis was often incorrect including many times not remember which team was throwing, who threw the last rock, what the situation was in the house, who had hammer, etc. I know that the announcers get the same video feed as we get as viewers, so when it becomes painfully obvious to us that there is no longer a shot for 4 because the previous shot bumped two already questionable rocks to no longer be possible counters, don't continue to say that there is a possible shot for 4.

It was a difficult 10 days of listening. And for those of you who want to retort with, "Just put it on mute." I shouldn't have to do that because I'm paying for both the video and the audio.

03-01-21 10:11AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Any time Dick Rauter opens his yap and starts to speak, most curlers cringe. "would you ever?"

"Do you think?"......

Any time he starts a sentence like this Russ and Cheryl have their thumb and finger held to the bridge of their nose, saying, "really?"

He's been around long enough to to know answers before he says something stupid. Stop playing the buffoon and TRY to ask something intelligent. Might be time for him to go back to the white water kayaking commentating...........

Both Cheryl & Howard were briefed well in advance of taking their jobs with TSN Curling that Vi Rauter enjoys playing the buffoon - expect to react to ignorant & ill-timed questions.
Moose & Linda did so seamlessly. Once every so often Moose would confront Vic with his stupidity - but in a very humorous, non-threatening way!

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-02-21 at 09:21AM

03-01-21 07:35PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Weak event for Russ

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong
I enjoy watching the curling on TSN for the Scotties and the Brier, and I realize that this year's event was very different from past years with the Covid-19 bubble restrictions, but this was a weak event for the TSN announce crew and specifically Russ.

His shot analysis was often incorrect including many times not remember which team was throwing, who threw the last rock, what the situation was in the house, who had hammer, etc. I know that the announcers get the same video feed as we get as viewers, so when it becomes painfully obvious to us that there is no longer a shot for 4 because the previous shot bumped two already questionable rocks to no longer be possible counters, don't continue to say that there is a possible shot for 4.

It was a difficult 10 days of listening. And for those of you who want to retort with, "Just put it on mute." I shouldn't have to do that because I'm paying for both the video and the audio.

You read my mind, I couldn't agree more. I don't mind the TSN crew usually, and Russ is my favourite, But at the Scotties he was absolutely atrocious. Like you said, his analysis was just off all tournament. It was like he wasn't even watching the same game we were. The one that stood out the most to me was the Jones vs Birt game. It was the end where Jones stole 1 after Birt tried an insanely tough tap back to score. There was a port she could have gone through but that shot was definitely not there. Marie Christianson said the best she could do was nose it (which misses shot rock and results in Jones stealing 1 anyway) and Russ agreed with her immediately. But for the rest of the game, Russ wouldn't shut up about how bad a call it was and that she should have done the shot through the port to blank. He literally agreed moments before that blanking was not possible. Hitting a rock on the nose means it sits right there, therefore stay in the rings. And like I said before nose misses shot rock, so playing that shot would've been pointless. He was an elite curler for years but he couldn't wrap his head around that and that baffled me. I couldn't believe how stupid he was being, I might have been able to let that slide if he said it once, but he kept harping on it for the rest of the game and that grated on my nerves. He kept saying "cross the face, hit it high side," The right side guard made doing that impossible. That was obvious to everyone except him apparently, even though he acknowledged it wasn't there not long before this. A lot of stupidity came out of his mouth throughout the Scotties, but for me that one really takes the cake. I'm all for the commentators calling a spade a spade and criticizing skips for making bad calls, but listening to him repeatedly go after Birt for not calling a shot that wasn't even close to being possible just doesn't sit right with me. That's not fair to her at all. I'm not even a fan of hers but that was ridiculous.

He even did it to Homan too (it was her against team Fleury I think?) which is weird. She had a tough shot for 3 but elected to draw for 2 instead and was light. Russ said the shot for 3 wasn't there, only to criticize Homan later for not trying the shot for 3. Mentally he was definitely not all there it seems. I hope it was just due to stress from being in the bubble and not something more serious. I knew it probably wouldn't happen, but I was hoping Cheryl Bernard would say something or at the very least present the other side of it (aka the logical/common sense side) when Russ was going on these nonsensical ramblings.

As for the mute the TV advice, I also agree. If I don't like the commentators for sports like hockey or football, I can still follow along without the announcers. But with curling it's hard because I want to be able to hear the curlers talking and what the call is. I just tried to tune out the commentators for the most part.

03-01-21 10:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

TSN will show these games usually on 2-5 of their channels at the same time. Why not pick one channel with NO commentating and just let us hear the curlers and their discussions. Put out the pregame disclaimer parental advisory as there will be the odd curse or f-bomb, but I'd rather hear the pre-shot chatter, chatter during the shot, then the post shot analysis from the players, than the commentators fighting to talk over each other trying to get their on air time, one of which goes out of his way to "act" and maybe not so much, stupid.

Signed, carpal tunnel syndrome with thumb on the mute button, both from announcers and screechers.

03-02-21 07:50AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Living in Ohio, I would not be the fan I am if Vic’s schtick didn’t draw me in years ago. I know more now, but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t largely responsible for developing me as a fan. My only experience before Vic was Duguid and Chevrier in the Olympics for NBC. They seemed great, but it was only for about 10 days every four years.

I suppose it can get tiring now that I know much much more, but it drew me in, and it drew in the people around me. To this day, even if it’s tiring, I hear Vic - I know it’s a big event.

My only real complaint about the coverage is that Mudryk looked like he slept on a bench outside the venue.

03-02-21 08:49AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
TSN will show these games usually on 2-5 of their channels at the same time. Why not pick one channel with NO commentating and just let us hear the curlers and their discussions. Put out the pregame disclaimer parental advisory as there will be the odd curse or f-bomb, but I'd rather hear the pre-shot chatter, chatter during the shot, then the post shot analysis from the players, than the commentators fighting to talk over each other trying to get their on air time, one of which goes out of his way to "act" and maybe not so much, stupid.

Signed, carpal tunnel syndrome with thumb on the mute button, both from announcers and screechers.

Vic's target fan are exuberant curling beginners like Guido, devoid of basic curling knowledge, getting all hepped up by Vic's signature declaration that a stone has rolled completely behind a corner guard - when in fact its 105% open . . . ! ! !

03-02-21 12:46PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Weak event for Russ

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingNut1994

Mentally he was definitely not all there it seems. I hope it was just due to stress from being in the bubble and not something more serious. I knew it probably wouldn't happen, but I was hoping Cheryl Bernard would say something or at the very least present the other side of it (aka the logical/common sense side) when Russ was going on these nonsensical ramblings.

It sounds like you and I are on the same page. Russ was so off his game that I started to think that there was/is something happening under the covers. There were many times that I was hoping Cheryl would jump in with the fix it up comment, but it didn't happen. Lots of simple agreement or silence. There were times it seemed like Russ was wearing his mask over his eyes and not his mouth and nose.

I hope they got the rust off of the announcing in the Scotties and that we get better analysis in the Brier.

03-02-21 05:13PM
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I have said before, I would love to have every sport have a channel with no announcers, only the players' voices. There would definitely have to parental controls involved and viewer discretion disclaimer.

03-02-21 09:11PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Next year all teams to be 3 players

Tsn didnt showthe lead shots this year and apparantly
no one cared

I dont think the fans were missed by people i talked to

On the plus side the players can play in a rink wih decent ice

What a thrill for homan in next years 10th end final - she can draw pot on her first and throw same weight on second - but net year itwont hit the hack

03-03-21 08:48PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

17% drop in viewers for opening weekend and 30% drop for Sunday's final
https://www.thestar.com/sports/curl...-from-2020.html

03-03-21 08:52PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
17% drop in viewers for opening weekend and 30% drop for Sunday's final
https://www.thestar.com/sports/curl...-from-2020.html

Wow. Wonder why?