Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-20 07:39AM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I think I had better expand on what I posted, before I get missiles delivered from the hog line (note the pun) at me.
It goes without saying that front ends today have be able to draw and take out equally well: Both have to be able to throw rocks to a number of zones on the ice, As well they have to be able to execute “vicinity freezes” possibly around a centre or corner guard. Hell, the guy voted the best lead ever in a poll only throws one turn most of the time.
Thirds and skips have to execute to a finer degree of tolerance: no longer can the freeze be in the vicinity, it has to be almost perfect or you are hanging a two up on the board; He/she have to go through ports, and multiple layers of guards, raise rocks accurately.
If you look at the upper echelon of the elite teams, former thirds or in some case skips, are playing second and can take advantage of the five rock rule and execute those shorts earlier in the end and apply immense pressure on the opponent causing them to bail early or give up steals or multiple points.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-20 10:58AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Crawford is breaking up, as per their FB post:

Team Crawford
2 hrs ·
Team Crawford announcement for 2020-2021 season:
Given upcoming work and school demands, Andrea, Jen, Jill, Katie and Coach Daryell will not be playing together. This was a very tough decision to make and accept for everyone as we are all great friends. We have gained lifelong friendships and wish the best to each other for the demands some of us are managing for the upcoming season.
We can’t express enough our appreciation and gratitude for the support we have received the last 2 seasons from our sponsors: S&W Goodine Construction, JD Irving, Gahan House Hub City, Winmar, Hardline.
And to our families, friends, colleagues and all other supporters and followers, we have been so blessed with your support and comments and have truly appreciated every message and action of support.

03-18-20 11:23AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Team Crawford is breaking up, as per their FB post

I imagine Crawford will be very much in demand. Former junior champ, tons of Scotties experience where she had decent results for small province team that didn't tour a whole lot. Start your rumors people. Carey grabs her to play 3rd? Ashley Howard heads back to NB? Swims across to play with Birt?

03-18-20 12:11PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Lisa Weagle to Jones as an additional member of the team:

https://twitter.com/TeamJJonesCurl/...309493206003712

03-18-20 12:12PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

A lot of journalists are reporting that Weagle will join team Jones to have a 5 person team.

03-18-20 12:16PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Meaghan on fire with updates. Good for Lisa. Could it be with her pick up the team may announce more players "expecting"

I'll start that one.

03-18-20 12:20PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Smart call from Homan's rival...no love lost between those 2 skips. I got the feeling that Dawn doesn't mind a break sometimes with her daughter getting older. Glad to see a team was smart enough to get Lisa. You snooze you lose (looking at you Chelsea/Dan)

03-18-20 12:39PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Kinda sad how the old spirit of gentlmen curling for fun and companionship has evolved since the 1960s to this

A bunch of old regulars - 20 max - curling for a small amount of cash and some pieces of silver - doing anything - firing each other - to win a championship for the second and third time - or more

Cra shud say winnings and sponsorships dollars are fully taxable and put a cap on expenses - 50% of winnings or max $20,000 per year

This to include foreign teams

Worth a shot

We should go further, tax winnings at 100%, do not allow deductions for expenses, limit sponsorships to 0 dollars, and Canadian teams should pay all expenses for foreign teams.

03-18-20 12:41PM
CURLER1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

CBC story on Weagle joining Jones.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...rling-1.5501563

03-18-20 12:41PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Using Lisa as a 5th player seems like a waste of talent. However, could it be that Jones figured doing this would prevent Lisa from joining another rival team and preventing that team from improving? Let’s face it, Lisa would be an improvement to most teams. Jones now has an inside scoop on the inner workings of Homan’s team. The cagey veteran made a great move, keep Lisa from her competitors, and get the intel needed to improve.

03-18-20 12:46PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Not that Homan - Jones games need more reasons to watch but if Weagle is in the lineup for those games it definitely adds a level of interest.

03-18-20 02:14PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

There is a hell of a lot more to this Jones/Weagle story than meets the eye.
No chance she is going to join Jones to sit on the sidelines much.
I know they said they would work out the details.
Like the old saying "The devil is in the details"

03-18-20 02:17PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Jones is the cagey old veteran now. I love it. Like a boxer who has lost a step and can't compete on power or speed but knows how to outwill people and how to wait until the ref isn't looking to follow up a hook with an elbow, or punch someone in the shorts when the ref can't get a good view. Can out gut anyone for a game but every once in a while someone will call her bluff and just beat the snot out of her. Then she'll get a rematch and muck it up for a while until the other person screws up and squeaks by in a out of nowhere victory.

She never was before, but I think she's my new favorite player. Long live 14-11 scores.

03-18-20 02:31PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Re: Jones
Kind of found the Scotties interesting statistically
6th rank skip
4th ranked 3rd
9th ranked 2nd
6th ranked lead
Record 9 and 2
Page playoff 1 - 2 game

03-18-20 02:50PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet
Re: Jones
Kind of found the Scotties interesting statistically
6th rank skip
4th ranked 3rd
9th ranked 2nd
6th ranked lead
Record 9 and 2
Page playoff 1 - 2 game

Exactly. Shows how % can be misleading. Like Russ said during the Brier: "Ed Werenich would curl 60% and still beat you."

03-18-20 03:12PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
There is a hell of a lot more to this Jones/Weagle story than meets the eye.
No chance she is going to join Jones to sit on the sidelines much.
I know they said they would work out the details.
Like the old saying "The devil is in the details"

I agree with this statement. Hard to believe that Weagle isn't somehow hurt because of this news from Homan. Also, hard to believe Weagle is going to be the 5th players on the Jones rink. I think Dawn might be thinking of enlarging her family and things just fell the right way for Jones. Just a thought I'm having.

03-18-20 07:05PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Dawn & Lisa are virtually interchangeable at lead.

Are they, though?

I haven't been paying real attention to this, but are they even same side sweepers? All the images I can conjure from memory of them sweeping usually puts Dawn on the opposite side of the rock compared to Lisa.

03-18-20 07:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Are they, though?

I haven't been paying real attention to this, but are they even same side sweepers? All the images I can conjure from memory of them sweeping usually puts Dawn on the opposite side of the rock compared to Lisa.

Professional curlers as they like to call themselves can sweep on both sides. Heck even club curlers can sweep on both sides.

03-18-20 07:11PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Professional curlers as they like to call themselves can sweep on both sides. Heck even club curlers can sweep on both sides.

That's a reasonable statement to make, but can you point out to example (photo or video with time stamp) of Lisa sweeping on thrower's left side within say the last year (or even older if you want to dig that far back)?

How about Dawn sweeping on thrower's right side?

Or Jocelyn sweeping on thrower's left side?

Can you point to an example of an elite front end sweeper having to switch side to fit into another team? (I'm a new fan, I honestly don't know if this is done regularly).

Foursome only, mixed doubles doesn't count.

Speaking of mixed doubles, that's how I learned about this "dominant side" tendency of elite curlers. Even some of the best foursome curlers struggle with mixed doubles because they have to switch sides and/or sweep their own rock with 1 slider/1 gripper combo.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-18-20 at 08:08PM

03-18-20 08:57PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

You Sir are a true student of the game. Tremendous insight.
Speaking of sweeping, how good do you think the Wilsons were?

03-18-20 09:42PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

What about those legendary bets Richardson made? (Couldn't throw a rock into house with his sweepers, They would let it die or sweep it threw)
Urban Legend?

03-18-20 10:16PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
You Sir are a true student of the game. Tremendous insight.
Speaking of sweeping, how good do you think the Wilsons were?

Stop. Stop right there.... Meatloaf. Although very infrequent ML has a good point, in case you've missed the last 5-6-7 years, totally misogynist, constantly degrading all women and their teams and their players and their coaches etc etc...he may have been around the game the last 60-70 years but, in his world women curlers are like women of the 1800's, speak when spoken to and don't talk back.

Back to sweeping. 95% of sweeping ability is judging weight. Any muscle man/woman can sweep a rock, but takes a skill to know the weight. Who cares if you're able to sweep a rock an extra 5 feet, if it's 5 feet deep....subliminal Hebert.

03-18-20 11:15PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Well, I'm answering my own (silly?) question here, but yes, Lisa can sweep either side.

Lisa was on thrower's left side when she was teamed up with Kreviazuk.

The image that probably comes to mind to most people is probably the foam trip from WWCC 2013 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2QxFhmGXo ), or maybe the spectacular burned rock from STOH 2013 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdPsbwDywfM ).

In fact perhaps this is her dominant side to begin with, and perhaps she only switched to thrower's right side to accommodate Joanne.

Or maybe this whole dominant side thing is bogus and everyone can sweep everywhere at the elite level.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-18-20 at 11:17PM

03-19-20 04:12AM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Stop. Stop right there.... Meatloaf. Although very infrequent ML has a good point, in case you've missed the last 5-6-7 years, totally misogynist, constantly degrading all women and their teams and their players and their coaches etc etc...he may have been around the game the last 60-70 years but, in his world women curlers are like women of the 1800's, speak when spoken to and don't talk back.

Back to sweeping. 95% of sweeping ability is judging weight. Any muscle man/woman can sweep a rock, but takes a skill to know the weight. Who cares if you're able to sweep a rock an extra 5 feet, if it's 5 feet deep....subliminal Hebert.

Well that had the desired response. Meatloaf?
How would you like it I called you toots?
I am just like the rest of you, trying to get through this self imposed isolation. I am neither here to insult nor be insulted

03-19-20 04:25AM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
If you could sweep a rock 12 feet every draw would be on the pot if thats where you wanted it

The cheater brushes were probably close to 12 feet and a few guys could steer them 3 feet under a couple of guards 2 ft infront of the house - ml once steered one of ken watsons over the side bumper onto the 12 ft ring of the next sheet using an old rink rat made of velcro - 1941 i recall

Now there is someone have fun!! Well done. Totally tongue in cheek.