Lindstroem Final
Braenden (7)
Rorvik Final
Naess (5)
Sommervold Final
Hostmaelingen (7)
Ramsfjell Final
Ulsrud (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-18-20 12:50PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Clubs Open 1 by 1

Social media is all over Leduc opening. August. Seems early. But, it is an event. Nanaimo announced it will defer opening until October. Haha, that is normal for around farm country. Some don't open until November. Natural ice? - Try January ( a Boxing Day opener sometimes happens if it is a cold December ). How many clubs have reduced sheet-count, to improve physical distancing? For elite curlers, they will need to find the open clubs, to practice. Club curlers will wait. Let's keep track and collectively toast each club that opens, with safety in mind. It's not just about the money. We can make it happen, for our game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-18-20 03:35PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

One of Winnipeg's long-standing clubs, The Pembina is going full out for Covid-19 leagues, etc.
Driving down Pembina Hwy today and saw their big sign-board advertising for teams and individual players to round out rosters. I'm sure they're playing it be ear - but if you don't maximize your advertising you won't have much of a pool of players/members to stoke the fire. I imagine they'll tailor their leagues to whatever comes in the door and lays down deposits or paid in full memberships.

Give them an A for Effort.

Don't know if it will pay off but it proceeds with all the risk one might not be able to even conceive!

08-19-20 11:59AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Highland in London is delaying until January. Chatham not opening at all this season as only 40% of the members said they were coming back.

08-19-20 01:13PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad Highland in London is delaying until January. Chatham not opening at all this season as only 40% of the members said they were coming back.
I find that shocking, and unsettling. But we have not have had the extreme influx of cases here, **until lately** - so, these southern Ontario cases might be the norm. I hope not. I can see curling as safe, if people take the protocols seriously.

08-19-20 02:34PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Manitoba had a fairly easy sail in the early trip thru Covid19 rivers - but now, business picking up for the Coronavirus . . . and the bad thing - its occurring in two (2) curling hotbeds, Brandon & Steinbach. Brandon has a ton of cases, many at the Maple Leaf Meat plant so curling might be an afterthought for one of Canada's greatest curling communities - WESTMAN.

Steinbach had some outbreak recently so testing may come back with dozens more as Manitoba still hasn't made masks mandatory. Steinbach 38 miles from Winnipeg, and close to avid curling communities like Altona, Morris, WInkler, Niverville, etc.

Winnipeg clubs planning for curling but obviously ready to drop plans at the turn of a hat.

08-19-20 05:57PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Highland in London is delaying until January. Chatham not opening at all this season as only 40% of the members said they were coming back.

Also in the London region, London Curling opening in October.
St Thomas opening in October.
Ilderton delaying a decision until Sept 8 pending online registration numbers.
St Thomas will refund fees less a two week holdback if it is necessary to shut down after opening. They should really be giving a break on fees because of the 6 week spring closure.

08-19-20 06:01PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

I'm torn. I want to support my club and I think the risk will be low but at the same time I'm not interested in just showing up, curling and heading home. The fun of curling is the social part, shooting the sht in the locker room and having beers with your opponent afterwards. My club might have room for about 15 people in the bar so that's about 4 teams sitting 1 person to a table. The club barely gets by with the bar full so less than half capacity is trouble.

08-19-20 07:42PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I'm torn. I want to support my club and I think the risk will be low but at the same time I'm not interested in just showing up, curling and heading home. The fun of curling is the social part, shooting the sht in the locker room and having beers with your opponent afterwards. My club might have room for about 15 people in the bar so that's about 4 teams sitting 1 person to a table. The club barely gets by with the bar full so less than half capacity is trouble.

Me too, I love the socializing after the game, bonspiels, dissing the skip with my fellow sweeper...won’t be the same this season.

08-20-20 01:47PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

quote:

dissing the skip with my fellow sweeper.

LMAO. It's those little things that make it fun.

08-20-20 03:42PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Me too, I love the socializing after the game, bonspiels, dissing the skip with my fellow sweeper...won’t be the same this season.

Gonna have to send you back to Jen Hanna for rehabilitation!!! lol

08-21-20 09:03PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I do most of my socialization on the ice. Sometimes I'll stop for a drink after, but not usually. Day league, of course, so that's different. But the game does lend itself to that on-ice chat. It's not a total social blow-out if the restaurant/bar is limited. And those pros now know how to set up for social distancing aprés curl. Push tables together to make them bigger. Limit # of chairs. It can still happen. Don't give up yet. Wash your hands. Be careful. Monitor your own symptoms.

08-21-20 10:45PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Manitoba's Morris Curling Club has a Junior 'Spiel on as we post. TeamLyburnJunior is giving us some instagram posts. It feels normal. It's not, but it feels normal. Bit by bit, we're pushing out of the old hack. https://www.instagram.com/p/CELJBdr...id=bsekc1x6d48x
EDIT: I double checked. It is a MJCT (manitoba junior curling tour) event. It is for real.
The MJCT page shows events across the province scheduled (read - #NotCancelled) at various clubs: St.Vital, Heather, Stonewall, Petersfield, Swan River, Elmwood - so, unless there is some carelessness - the season is under way. https://mjct.ca/events/

Last edited by nelski on 08-21-20 at 11:04PM

08-21-20 11:02PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I can easily see some curlers leaving the ice if someone on their sheet or an adjacent sheets exhibits symptoms of covid - ie. coughing, hacking, sneezing, overt sweating, etc. Why wait if you sense you're in jeopardy, you've already paid your season dues - just leave in disgust if the afflicted person persists in staying on - and stupid people are usually the most persistent in not recognizing or refusing to acknowledge they may be sick - and need to be tested.
Curling clubs should also have covid testing kits or personnel from their health authorities on hand - but never over-estimate the health authorities ability to be ignorant or stupid when in comes to adults recreation/sports.

08-27-20 10:02PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Note to the Manitoba posters...a full plane landed from TorontoI to Winnipeg...nobody was stopped we all went on our merry way. Yet your government website said that everyone coming from southern Ontario has to do a 14 day quarantine unless they are going to NW Ontario.

08-27-20 10:24PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So CurlingGeek has a database of clubs and is reporting Open, Delay, Closed, or unknown, of 1000+ clubs in Canada and the USA. about 26% reporting. It's kinda fun to explore the database.
http://www.curlinggeek.com/clubs-openings/

08-27-20 11:10PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Note to the Manitoba posters...a full plane landed from TorontoI to Winnipeg...nobody was stopped we all went on our merry way. Yet your government website said that everyone coming from southern Ontario has to do a 14 day quarantine unless they are going to NW Ontario.

They're just saying that to make Manitobans FEEL safer. Any govt. run by Brian Pallister is a dishonest endeavor by definition only. BTW - what on earth were you doing in WInnipeg and why didn't you call me?

08-28-20 12:30PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

They're just saying that to make Manitobans FEEL safer. Any govt. run by Brian Pallister is a dishonest endeavor by definition only. BTW - what on earth were you doing in WInnipeg and why didn't you call me?

On my way to NW ON, sorry...I thought ‘tobans didn’t want to socialize with Covid carriers from Ontario

08-28-20 02:25PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

On my way to NW ON, sorry...I thought ‘tobans didn’t want to socialize with Covid carriers from Ontario

No worries - I always wear my personalized Screamin' Jennifer Jones mask!

08-29-20 04:11PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

No worries - I always wear my personalized Screamin' Jennifer Jones mask!

We’ll have a cocktail next time I’m in town! Your PM is full so hard to message you

08-30-20 04:00PM
ronsmith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronsmith Find more posts by ronsmith Add ronsmith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronsmith
Knee-Slider

It's really nice to see such threads. I hate this pandemic and just want it to be over asap. Let's hope for the best!