Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-18-20 03:22PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The glossary mentions the "anti-freeze", which I guess is when you freeze on the backside of a resting stone. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this. Can anyone point me to a memorable example?

The only one I can think of is what Russ call "the backward freeze", Pätz's first in 9th end of women's world final vs Hasselborg, but this was done as an around the horn hit and roll instead of a straight draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOOyR5VXFo&t=2h9m35s

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-18-20 04:29PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
When someone hogs a rock in my league I always hear "that's around". Around what?

And a true curling "term expert" must know why it is called the hog line. Do a little research . Definitely related to buying a round!!

04-18-20 05:56PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

On that note, it'd be great to have a quick summary of the history of curling, with years elements of the rules were introduced.

From what I understand, there was no hog line in the past, in that throwers can just keep going while holding on to the rock.

I enjoy mixed doubles too, and watching "old" footage can get very confusing because the rules changed rapidly over the short few years of its existence, with the introducing of power play, moving the pre-positioned stone from back button to back 4, etc.

04-18-20 08:08PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade

And a true curling "term expert" must know why it is called the hog line. Do a little research . Definitely related to buying a round!!

Well duh.

Last edited by hogged again on 04-18-20 at 08:22PM

04-18-20 08:58PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

There are many "history books" out there. One on the early history books from Scotland 1890 was written by John Kerr. Two theories on hog line- people sat on hogshead barrels to watch the game and new lambs were called "hogs". Weak just like curlers who could not through very hard. Keep in mind early stones were often triangular/square. A lot of clubs in Scotland have some of these on display. They were/are often found at the bottom of ponds in Scotland.
Infrequently Kerr's book can be found on ebay around $400 depending on condition.

04-18-20 09:17PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm reading Brian Chick's book right now (Written in Stone: A Modern History of Curling, less than $10 e-book on Amazon), which is Canadian perspective and starting in the 80's.

I wasn't really asking for a history book recommendation, though. I was hoping someone that someone can write a historical cheat sheet article on Wikipedia for the evolution of the rules, a quick reference for people watching archival footage.

I know when I'm watching 2018 Olympics that it's the 4 rock era, for example, but that was knowledge from having lived through the transition as a viewer. I don't know what to expect when I'm watching, say the Hackner (NO) vs Ryan (AB) 1985 Brier final, for example.

It'd be nice if there's a cheat sheet for quick reference for which rule was introduced in which year.

04-18-20 09:37PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

From what I understand, there was no hog line in the past, in that throwers can just keep going while holding on to the rock.

Sliders were not that good back in those days. I think there was actually a time when sliders became decent that the rule was you had to let the rock go, stop sliding completely and get up without crossing the hogline. Maybe some of the seniors on this site can confirm or refute.

04-22-20 03:16PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This may sound silly, but just in case it isn't: what does the "Sit!" line call mean? I mean, I sort of understand "Curl!", "Straight!", "Every inch!", etc., but I'm not sure what they mean when they say "Sit!" (or who they were even talking to for that matter).

04-22-20 08:02PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Either don't roll or stop rolling. Usually before rolling out of rings or out of counting rock position.

04-22-20 08:23PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

So they're just yelling at the rock like it's a trained dog? I mean, I'm fine with that if that's really the case, I find it quite amusing, but I just want to make sure that this is actually what they're doing (for some reason).

I watched some wheelchair curling out of curiosity, and they were yelling line calls too even though there were no sweepers.

04-22-20 09:39PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

we definitely do yell at the granite. It helps. "Sit" is a common command. Also, "Don't touch it!", or "Kiss" are supernatural commands that utter forth loudly from me while I exercise extreme eye contact with the stone(s) in question. Head gestures are also common for this purpose.

04-22-20 09:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of granite, what are all the "personality types" that a set of rocks can have at a team's disposal?

For example, I've definitely heard of "cutters", which I believe are rocks that tend to have a big finish at the end. Some rocks may travel in a straighter line and/or shorter distance. I guess some rocks are more "resistant" to hits and don't transfer momentum as efficiently (Russ always talk about how the newer generation of rocks make freezing harder and blasting easier).

People sometimes joke that some rocks are bigger and could be used for guards, and some rocks are smaller and can be used to go through holes.

Am I missing other "personality types"? Do those have nicknames as well? (like a "turtle" for a slow rock or something?).

05-09-20 11:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What's a "loading" shot?

I only have one example to provide context, from US Nationals this year, Sinclair vs Peterson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxX7M4KVMAo

From what I understand, Sinclair is asking Christensen to "load it", which looks like a freeze at a specific angle. It looks like they're trying to aim it so that when it's time to "fire", the backing will act like a "bullet" that can take out another stone.

I see this tactic often, freeze and/or tap and setting up angles for hits later, but this is the first time I heard it described as "loading" and "firing". I'm no curling expert, but it sounds way too revealing in my opinion when used real time in a game with your opposition at earshot (unless your goal is to divulge the plan to your opposition, to plant ideas in their heads -- Gushue talked about doing this in his Facebook Q&A, but that's another subject altogether).

05-21-20 02:14AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What's a "kicker"?

Here's where Kevin Martin used it (context starts at 1h21m5s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqEux8EF5I&t=1h21m5s

"I really liked John's first call! Open everything up and maybe get a second kicker in the rings!"

06-26-20 09:40PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Speaking of granite, what are all the "personality types" that a set of rocks can have at a team's disposal?

This doesn't really answer the question, but historically, curling stones were so distinguishable from each other in size and shape that clubs would have names for them, as well as basic measurements.

http://curlinghistory.blogspot.com/...e-had-name.html

One club's "Robbie Dow" was a tiny 34 lbs, but they also had a massive "The Egg" that was 115 lbs. Must've been interesting times to curl.

06-27-20 11:05PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

So a "kicker" is just any stone that might realistically become a counter for extra points?

Because I was beginning to think that maybe a "kicker" is a stone that can be used tactically for an in-off: it "kicks" the "shooter" sideways towards the 4-foot.

So if I'm right, then a kicker doesn't have to be in the rings. A stone that you'd love to have as a potential counter can roll out of the house and still be a kicker (example: Zacharias' comeback 3-ender vs Rumiantseva https://youtu.be/1OMikOA5Wuc ).

Heck, if I'm right, then a "kicker" doesn't even have to be a stone of your color (example: Einarson's comeback 3-ender vs Robertson https://youtu.be/U8qIgLTovGM ).

Last edited by curlingclips on 06-28-20 at 06:51AM

07-03-20 11:54PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here are some easier ones. I hear this a lot, and I have a general idea of what they mean, but I'd like to have it confirmed.

What's "come up" and "come down"?

Example usage: "That came up a bit, eh?", "I think it'll come up!", "It's coming down!", "That really came down, eh?", etc.

//edit: here's an example from a real game with more context
https://youtu.be/5t5eyBnIBd4
Homan: "I just thought it would come up based on everyone's draw..."

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-04-20 at 03:04PM

07-05-20 06:27PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

And here's the other example;
https://youtu.be/XCLOtpi0LmI

Wilson (after Cameron's first): "Oh?? That really came down, eh?"

07-06-20 01:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Someone, I think Laine Peters yelled "NO! Coming down!" as soon as Peterman carved Carey's last rock in first end of bronze medal at 2016 Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Uij5grGLE&t=1m15s

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-06-20 at 02:17PM

07-06-20 05:47PM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

When talking about a rock, come down means slow down.
Come up means curl.

07-06-20 06:10PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by DrB When talking about a rock, come down means slow down. Come up means curl.
Which both kinda mean the same thing, really. It comes up when it comes down. No?
But further, if you sweep, when it is coming down, it comes up further, as opposed to sweeping before it really starts coming down (finishing).

Last edited by nelski on 07-06-20 at 06:12PM

07-06-20 07:09PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
It comes up when it comes down.

What a crazy sport, this curling is...

07-07-20 04:36AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here's more context for Kate Cameron's first shot 10th end in 2017 Scotties final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SX2p79EfmY&t=2h28m50s

Howard: (upon release) "Some have been slowing down just a couple feet here..."
Wilson: (after rock hits another and stops) "Oh?? That really came down, eh?"
Howard: "It did come down, didn't it?"
Wilson: "That was just dead, when it hit, eh? Like it really came down?"

So yeah, I think they're talking about the rock losing speed.

07-11-20 04:44AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I've only heard this from WCF commentators: what does it mean to "check" a rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7PjKBTQNNQ&t=18m

"Where would you put this now if you're Scotland?"
"Maybe, uh, maybe check it? Like, uh, try to stagger all the yellows? Maybe top 12, top 8, half buried around the guard?"

I could be wrong, but I think this pattern is basically some sort of a Christmas Tree.

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-11-20 at 04:46AM

07-16-20 05:12PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Is there a term for when Team A without hammer manages to put Team B with hammer into a "There's no shot!" situation, that Team B ends up throwing away the hammer because there's practically no way to improve the situation with it?

Lots of examples, but here's some recent ones I can think of from memory:

(Hammer thrown away) "I'm sure Brett's wondering if the call on his last shot was the right one or not..."
Hawes/Tardi vs Peterman/Gallant https://youtu.be/D0nF00mR7h8

(Hammer not even thrown, immediate handshake) "Do you want to just throw something or do you want to just shake?"
Anderson/Dropkin vs Homan/Morris https://youtu.be/-Qj5Wxt26GY

(Hammer thrown away) "She is just throwing it away in disgust, really..."
Oona Kauste (FIN) vs Jamie Sinclair (USA), WWCC 2019, 4th end https://youtu.be/Bngh7AEFIQg (video geoblocked in USA)

(Desperado throw) "I've got nothing!" / "We just want to give you [Bryan Cochrane] some TV time!"
Jamie Sinclair (USA) vs Kim Minji (KOR), WWCC 2019, 10th end https://youtu.be/oxQNmYYMB-c (video geoblocked in CAN)

Throwing away the hammer when it's an empty house (example) to blank an end doesn't count, since that's a good use of the hammer in some situation.

Throwing a faithless desperado circus shot with the hammer covers a very similar "There's no shot!" territory, so that's why I included it in above example. Similarly, immediate handshake instead of throwing the hammer away is included, since it's basically just courtesy not to throw away the hammer in that situation.

The closest term I can think of is either stalemate or checkmate, i.e. "Team B got checkmated in the 4th end!" or "The 7th ended with a stalemate!".

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-16-20 at 05:26PM