Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-02-21 11:21AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fresca
Positive test in broadcasters

Announcer ? Cameramen ?

The press story says whoever it is was not in close contact with any of the athletes, so I think that rules out anyone working on the ice sheets, like the cameramen.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-02-21 11:59AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

CBC news on COVID

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...cases-1.6011024

05-02-21 12:55PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
In the last 20 years there have 200 top rated juniors

How many are still playing

Lott tardi dunstone

This is one of the most uninformed and ignorant statement I've seen recently, so I can't let it slide.

Obviously if you've made up your mind, nothing I'll say will change it, but I'm just going to list a few names.

PEI's first win in Brier 2021 came when vice Tyler Smith skipped the team. He is one of the most decorated juniors ever, and he's proud of that fact. You can see him wear 5 purple hearts on his jacket in 2019.

https://www.curling.ca/blog/2019/01...olland-juniors/

Suzanne Birt has played in 12 Scotties, including 2021. She won World Junior in 2001, so that fits in "the last 20 years" timeframe you used.

You mentioned Dunstone, which first won Canadian Junior in 2013. Corryn Brown also won that year, and she has been to the last 2 Scotties.

Karlee Burgess played in 2021 Scotties. She has 3 World Junior golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze,. I'm pretty sure that's a record (please correct me if I'm wrong). Tyler Tardi, which you mentioned, only has 2 World Junior golds. He could've added a third before he aged out, but that's still 2 fewer medals than Burgess.

I can easily rattle off a bunch of obvious names. Brendan Bottcher, Rachel Homan, Kaitlyn Lawes, are all within "the last 20 years" window you used.

There's a bunch of names that haven't played in Scotties/Brier yet, but are really close. Take Alberta 2019, for example. Laura Walker beat Kelsey Rocque (2 World Junior golds), and Brendan Bottcher beat Karsten Sturmay (brother of Selena Sturmay, and someone that Kevin Martin for example speaks very highly of).

I'm pretty sure we can go on and on and get to 100 names.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-02-21 at 12:57PM

05-02-21 01:46PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

If you've been looking forward to Canada/USA this afternoon, I just read this. Broadcasting from the world championship will be on hold throughout Sunday meaning none of the games will be televised or streamed.

05-02-21 02:15PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Well fiddlesticks to that...
Here's wishing that no one gets seriously ill.

05-02-21 02:47PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
20 people out of 5000

You are moving the goalposts. Your original number is 3 out of 200. I posit that you can easily get 100 names from Canadian juniors from last 20 years that are still playing competitively.

My claim is verifiable. Just look at the records from 2001 and you can easily get 100 names. Most certainly you can exceed 20.

100/200 is a great ratio for young people.

05-02-21 02:55PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Take a hike motormouth of useless endless ridiculous posts

LMAO.

Get off of my lawn.

From the resident grouch.

Who rambles incoherently.

And can't spell.

05-02-21 03:11PM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Please TSN stop Russ and Cheryl from talking so much. Their non stop taking about how the game should be played. About what would happen it a shot did not work even though it did work. Please stop them talking. i enjoy watching the game and listening to the players but please tell them to stop talking always.

05-02-21 03:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

from TSN - draws will be pushed back 1/2 hour.

https://www.tsn.ca/play-returns-at-...rning-1.1633162

Sorry, I should have read further, no TV coverage until Tue.

New TSN schedule:
https://www.tsn.ca/2020-21-curling-...edule-1.1595524

Last edited by CURLER1 on 05-02-21 at 03:44PM

05-02-21 03:56PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

BREAKING NEWS FROM THE BUBBLE!!! TELEVISION COVERAGE SUSPENDED!!!!!
LGT World Women’s Curling Championship scheduling update
For immediate release: Sunday 2 May 2021
Calgary, Canada – After confirmation that all scheduled PCR testing for athletes and competition officials on Saturday (1 May) has returned negative results, the LGT World Women’s Curling Championship 2021 will resume play with session eight of the round robin at 14:30 Mountain Daylight Time (MDT).
Due to the delay in the test results process, the sessions today will both begin 30 minutes later than scheduled. The afternoon session will begin at 14:30 and session nine in the evening will begin at 19:30.
As previously announced, there will be no broadcast coverage taking place for the sessions today, tomorrow (Monday 3 May) and Tuesday (4 May) morning.
Competition officials are now investigating the schedule to incorporate this morning’s postponed session at a later date. Further information on this rescheduled session will be made available as soon as possible.
Live scores and updates from the championship will continue from the World Curling Federation event website: https://worldcurling.org/events/wwcc2021
The robust health and safety protocols put in place by the World Curling Federation and Curling Canada, under the guidance of the federal, provincial and local public health officials, have ensured the integrity of the competition bubble. Those protocols will continue to be followed to ensure the championship can resume safely for the athletes, officials and staff.

05-02-21 05:12PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Dipstix - keep googling your alternative facts and trying to engage folks in endless arguments.

I went and compiled a list of 160+ names. And I got lazy at the end, so I can probably get to 200 if I really try.

I care about the truth, and about people making verifiable factual statements. There's easily more than 100 junior curlers from last 20 years that are curling at high level.

https://www.curlingzone.com/showthr...rumid=5&tp=&sp=

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-02-21 at 05:25PM

05-02-21 05:57PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Can't remember if its ever happened in worlds, olympics, etc. where a flailing skip has been lifted out of the lineup.

Most famous example in curling lore is probably 2010 Olympics Shuster going 0W-4L. He got benched and alternate Chris Plys skipped. And won.

Full game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2hXoRAAW4&t=3m20s

05-02-21 07:32PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Yikes 1-4 to start. Saving grace is she's played all the top teams except Muirhead. 8-5 makes playoffs so there isn't much margin for error but I think 8-5 is doable.
As for replacing her, no way. Yah she's struggled and missed some shots she was making in her sleep last few weeks but the rest of the team has struggled too. A couple good games and they will be back on track.

05-02-21 07:40PM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

The ladies are in big trouble.

I think they may win 3 or 4 more games. Italy, Estonia, Germany and Korea. All bottom teams.

Hopefully they get a boost when they play Germany.

05-02-21 08:13PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

This would make for dramatic and interesting television.

Too bad it won’t be televised

05-02-21 08:44PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Wow, I made the mistake of following that cbc/sports link and read the comments section.

Damn, if this is a representation of Canadian viewpoints, be very scared. Good lord!
And I guess thankful CZ has just the two cranks here.

But they're "our" cranks.

05-02-21 09:19PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Devin Heroux @Devin_Heroux

JUST IN World Curling now telling me there have been been 4 confirmed positive cases among broadcast staff. Medical officials currently carrying out their investigation that incorporates additional testing, including testing for variants of concern, contact tracing. #cbccurl 2:15 PM 5/2/21・ Twitter Web App'"/>

05-02-21 10:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I agree 8-5 will get you in but even 7-6 with the best draw score will too. Been a loooong time in the bubble and fatigue may be setting in, however, I am confident Canada will make top 6 and once they do, will make it to the final.

05-02-21 11:54PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

And it’s EIGHT for the Swiss.

05-03-21 01:46AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

So Canada is 1-4, which isn't great. They did have varying levels of control in the Sweden, Switzerland and Russia games, so while clearly they've been far from their best, they are still right in these games. In some ways, should be more encouraging when you lose knowing you were far from your best (as opposed to losing and thinking "boy, that's as good as we can play and it wasn't good enough").

5 losses should get that last playoff spot as it was in the men's worlds (no guarantee, but best to hope the top 2-3 teams separate and muck up the middle part of the standings). Canada plays Estonia, Italy, Denmark, South Korea, Germany, Japan, Scotland, China. They are objectively more talented than 4 of those teams. China/South Korea are a bit of an unknown (to me at least) though surely not to be taken lightly, and Scotland is known and will be competitive.

We've seen similar things happen to Bottcher and Einarson at the Worlds and my baseless theory is as follows. For so many Canadian teams, getting that first Brier/Scotties win is such a monumental goal, often filled with many heartbreaks leading up to it. If and when they finally win a Brief/Scotties, it's such a relief and I would imagine a feeling of "wow, we've finally done it". And they deserve to feel that way, because they have consistently been a top team in the world for years, and now finally have the Brier/Scotties to show for it.

But then they get to Worlds, and there's this whole new pressure that they haven't had before. If they falter at the Scotties/Brier or a Slam, surely they are disappointed, but there's a much smaller level of scrutiny. Plus, I think there's extra pressure on Canadian teams at Worlds for a couple reasons: (1) it's Canada, and there's an expectation to win (which there should be, though gradually I think we need to shift that expectation to "medal" rather than "only gold"), and (2) the team knows how hard it is to make it to Worlds. Whereas most of the other top World teams basically know they come back every year (or close to it), the Canadian teams know that this could be their only chance (or maybe one of two or three chances if lucky). There's no "we'll get them next year", because there may never be a next year (or it may be years away, with a different team).

So overall, I have no doubt they are feeling a lot of pressure, but they did not forget how to curl after winning one Slam and losing in the semi in the other. 1-4 seems daunting, but hopefully a 2-win day tomorrow against two teams they "should" beat, and they can regain the confidence that they are one of the best teams in the world.

05-03-21 12:20PM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Here's a CBC twitter link for those looking for a realtime play by play for today's untelevised game:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Devin_He...5Eau
thor

05-03-21 12:27PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight

We've seen similar things happen to Bottcher and Einarson at the Worlds and my baseless theory is as follows. For so many Canadian teams, getting that first Brier/Scotties win is such a monumental goal, often filled with many heartbreaks leading up to it. If and when they finally win a Brief/Scotties, it's such a relief and I would imagine a feeling of "wow, we've finally done it". And they deserve to feel that way, because they have consistently been a top team in the world for years, and now finally have the Brier/Scotties to show for it.

But then they get to Worlds, and there's this whole new pressure that they haven't had before. If they falter at the Scotties/Brier or a Slam, surely they are disappointed, but there's a much smaller level of scrutiny. Plus, I think there's extra pressure on Canadian teams at Worlds for a couple reasons: (1) it's Canada, and there's an expectation to win (which there should be, though gradually I think we need to shift that expectation to "medal" rather than "only gold"), and (2) the team knows how hard it is to make it to Worlds. Whereas most of the other top World teams basically know they come back every year (or close to it), the Canadian teams know that this could be their only chance (or maybe one of two or three chances if lucky). There's no "we'll get them next year", because there may never be a next year (or it may be years away, with a different team).

I agree. To win a Scotties or Brier you have to be at your best for 10 days. Then you have to regroup and peak again at the worlds, with extra pressure and playing teams who have been there plenty and have little to no competition to qualify (excluding the Swiss who have a number of top teams in men's and women's and it's not a foregone conclusion who will win).
The first thing Einarson will say when it's over, no matter if they win it or miss the playoffs, is that she played too much. Peak to win Scotties, peak again to win mixed, short break then 2 slams back to back. Too much high stakes curling in short time frame.
I think they go 7-1 to finish 8-5 and then look out. Their confidence will be back, the fatigue will be erased by adrenalin and they will again be the most dangerous team. Not changing my prediction of Sweden-Canada final.

05-03-21 01:50PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Would they have allowed Team Einarson to play one of the slam games wearing the Maple Leafs on their backs? Maybe for one of their non-televised games?

Would Einarson even do that in the first place, wearing the national emblem while playing for money?

If they did allow it, would it have made a difference?

I'm not Canadian, but I think I can sort of understand why the Maple Leaf jersey is such a heavy burden for most people (except Amy Nixon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFMlyzogKWY&t=359s "The Maple Leaf is super easy to wear!").

Maybe there are ways to make the Maple Leaf feels less burdensome for athletes to boost performance, but maybe that's the exact opposite of what you want to do, if you had to sacrifice national pride along the way.

05-03-21 01:55PM
Endemoniada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Endemoniada Find more posts by Endemoniada Add Endemoniada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Endemoniada
Knee-Slider

If Canada misses the play-offs, which has to be a real possibility now, which team will go to the qualification event in December?

05-03-21 01:58PM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

Teams at the world level want to beat Canada and often play at a higher level, meaning that Canadian teams need to sustain a very, very high level of play to win. There are often mental games at play on and off-ice as well. While you can be friends off ice with the other teams, you need to get rid of your sensitivity and throw off all of those distractions (media too!) and play hard and consistent with your own style of play.
....and above all, throw out the conceit that Canadians are the best at this sport, sure gold-medal winners - that is simply not true anymore.
...been there, done that and guilty as charged....but no more....