Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canadian Mixed Doubles

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-24-21 08:38PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by guido

Of the week.
[/QUOTE

I agree. The around the horn shots are great, a bit flashy, but a cold stone draw the pinhole with 1/8 inch to spare for the win, priceless

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-24-21 10:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

kirk and laura chose a really bad time to have their worst game of the event by far.

happy to see lott and sahaidak in the final and hope they can finish the week off

by the way i know they obviously didnt choose to struggle tonight

Last edited by misty1 on 03-24-21 at 10:48PM

03-24-21 10:43PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I'm correcting myself. American athletes don't generally say "wearing the Stars and Stripes", but occasionally they do say "wearing the red, white and blue”
this is fair, I suppose, but I’m not sure there’s a whole lot of countries so clearly defined by a logo. “Team Canada” is a legit thing in itself, where “Team USA” is much more broadly applied to olympians in specific.

Also the two ice sports are very distinctly national in a way that America’s sports are not. Football and Baseball are league entities unto themselves, and representing the country in those sports is largely irrelevant. There was a fleeting decade or two where team USA meant something in basketball, but the moment has passed. Down here this is also true of hockey. They care if you win the cup, the gold medal is something less.

The other sports where you aspire to represent the US on the national stage are niche sports.

Perhaps soccer is the exception to this? Hard to tell, as it’s a niche sport down here too.

My point is, all the “major” sports down here aspire to something perceived as bigger than representing the country on a national stage, so by aspiring to wear the red white and blue, you kind of mark yourself as aspiring to something less.

I’m more annoyed that Shuster or Ruhonen won’t be in the grand slam of curling this year than happy that Shuster will be at worlds with USA on his back.

03-24-21 10:44PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Also, crikey is Einarson on a heater.

03-24-21 11:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
this is fair, I suppose, but I’m not sure there’s a whole lot of countries so clearly defined by a logo. “Team Canada” is a legit thing in itself, where “Team USA” is much more broadly applied to olympians in specific.

Also the two ice sports are very distinctly national in a way that America’s sports are not. Football and Baseball are league entities unto themselves, and representing the country in those sports is largely irrelevant. There was a fleeting decade or two where team USA meant something in basketball, but the moment has passed. Down here this is also true of hockey. They care if you win the cup, the gold medal is something less.

The other sports where you aspire to represent the US on the national stage are niche sports.

Perhaps soccer is the exception to this? Hard to tell, as it’s a niche sport down here too.

My point is, all the “major” sports down here aspire to something perceived as bigger than representing the country on a national stage, so by aspiring to wear the red white and blue, you kind of mark yourself as aspiring to something less.

I’m more annoyed that Shuster or Ruhonen won’t be in the grand slam of curling this year than happy that Shuster will be at worlds with USA on his back.

I don't think you really "get" what it means to be Team Canada in ANY sport. Sense of pride, sense of accomplishment, sense of National pride, sense of representing a nation that cheers you on win or lose, sense of the whole country behind you. Not the how much money can I make with my gold track shoes or how much money I can make with an Olympic win. Or how much publicity can I get to further my fortunes........ Canadians are much more about pride of country than money, money money.

You will never see a Canadian wearing a hat that that says make Canada great again. Always were, always are.

I hearken back to this . I AM CANADIAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWgZkUcC9hM

Sorry, small rant.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-24-21 at 11:49PM

03-25-21 12:03AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Back when I was a little child, I didn't know anything about Canada, but I saw the Maple Leaf amongst all of the flags of the nations of the world, and I thought myself "DAMN! That's the coolest flag ever!".

Now that I'm an adult with a mild interest in vexillology, I still feel that way, even before I got into curling. Now I can sing "O Canada" from start to finish. I've probably heard it at least 50x since I discovered curling.

//edit: in case you've never seen it, the Roman Mars TED talk on flags is worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4&t=1m3s

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-25-21 at 12:08AM

03-25-21 12:16AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Is that you Sheldon? "Fun with flags?"

03-25-21 12:43AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I know enough about TV/pop culture to understand that this is a reference to The Big Bang Theory, but no, I don't watch that show. I watch very few TV shows, generally speaking, relative to general population.

I definitely do watch a ton of curling, though. Definitely more than the average Canadian fans. I've actually watched all of the games at 2018 Olympics. And I do mean all games, all 3 disciplines, all sheets, all draws, all tiebreakers, all games.

I'll probably do the same with Sochi next year. Then there's a bunch of games here and there from the other Olympics, but 2018 and 2014 are the only ones with full replays available.

https://worldcurling.org/sochi2014
https://worldcurling.org/pyeongchang2018/

03-25-21 01:34AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:

good one

03-25-21 07:15AM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
I don't think you really "get" what it means to be Team Canada in ANY sport.

Oh I’m quite sure I don’t. And I certainly don’t mean that the preferred sports down here are better or worse.

I just mean that “representing team USA” isn’t a thing in the “favorite” sports down here. I’m thinking of the sports that www big when I was a kid in the early 80’s and what was on TV… There is no baseball team USA. There is no football team USA. There is no golf team USA. There is no basketball team USA - or at least when I was growing up it wasn’t for the best of the best, it was for the amateurs. What else was big… there was no tennis team USA. There was no bowling team USA - it just wasn’t a thing.

There most certainly was a hockey team USA, but it took the 84 Olympic team defining that it was important more than it being important before hand.

The more I think about it - “team USA” is a thing when the USA has a defined geopolitical rival.

Unfortunately right now until whatever is going on down here is sorted out, the chief geopolitical rival of the United States is itself. And that’s all the politics I intend to ever talk about here. I wish people would rally behind the flag together down here these days for good, but that feels like a bygone time.

03-25-21 09:05AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Laura and Mr Laura overthought and overtalked far too much. Mr Laura needs to grow a pair and say for once this is what I want to do. ( yes I know they are not married)., Also can sitting on the bumper pads. Heck I can even stand for an 8 end game.

03-25-21 09:43AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Rachel

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Rachel has replaced Laura Crocker, Alison Kreviazuk

According to Wikipedia, Laura Crocker/Walker moved to Alberta with Sarah Wilkes, and has stayed in Alberta since. Alison Kreviazuk moved to Sweden, and has stayed in Sweden since.

Unless you have some insider knowledge, I don't think Homan played an active role in replacing these two curlers.

She did replace Lisa Weagle, I will concede that.

03-25-21 10:39AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Rachel

quote:

I don't think...

Don't know if Ali was cut ...

Finally you have posted something accurate.

03-25-21 11:21AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Rachel

quote:
After losing two straight Scotties final to a team and a skip she considers inferior (Einarson)

Homan in 2021 scrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGkrMBTTLs&t=11m45s
"...didn't go our way, so, uh, we're really excited to hopefully cheer on Kerri in ... May? Hopefully?"

This scrum was before the official announcement that the Women's Worlds was rescheduled for May. In other words, she really didn't have to say that she'll be cheering for Einarson, but she did. I think it's natural to conclude that she said it out loud because she genuinely felt that way.

Moreover, she added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGkrMBTTLs&t=13m36s
"we've beaten them in the past, and they've beaten us as well... It's just, you know... a battle of two great teams!"

Homan in 2020 scrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBscfvub8kM&t=8s
".. it sucks to lose, but uh, it's awesome to lose to such a great team, and they're going to be great representatives for Canada, and good luck to them!"

I've provided a couple of evidence to suggest that Homan thinks highly of Einarson and her team.

If you have any shred of evidence to suggest that Homan is lying through her teeth in these interviews, and that she actually thinks Einarson is inferior, please provide some.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-25-21 at 11:30AM

03-25-21 01:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rachel

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Homan in 2021 scrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGkrMBTTLs&t=11m45s
"...didn't go our way, so, uh, we're really excited to hopefully cheer on Kerri in ... May? Hopefully?"

This scrum was before the official announcement that the Women's Worlds was rescheduled for May. In other words, she really didn't have to say that she'll be cheering for Einarson, but she did. I think it's natural to conclude that she said it out loud because she genuinely felt that way.

Moreover, she added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGkrMBTTLs&t=13m36s
"we've beaten them in the past, and they've beaten us as well... It's just, you know... a battle of two great teams!"

Homan in 2020 scrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBscfvub8kM&t=8s
".. it sucks to lose, but uh, it's awesome to lose to such a great team, and they're going to be great representatives for Canada, and good luck to them!"

I've provided a couple of evidence to suggest that Homan thinks highly of Einarson and her team.

If you have any shred of evidence to suggest that Homan is lying through her teeth in these interviews, and that she actually thinks Einarson is inferior, please provide some.

I agree with, I think Rachel greatly respects Kerri and in no way views her as inferior.

That being said Rachel also doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would ever come put and say directly or hint that she thought she was better than Kerri.

03-25-21 02:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I believe the primary reason Rachel cut LIsa out of the equation was when she saw (and felt) the impact of Kerri Einarson having two incredible bulls working her front side (Meilleur, Birchard). Weagle was always seen as an elegant draw & tick artist but not a hardcore hitter. Main reason she brought Wilkes aboard. Wilkes took the ticket cuz her team had basically disbanded after poor results. Courtney took her "demotion" to lead with honor - but its now clear Joanne Courtney is not near the lead Lisa Weagle was. Homan purchased some extra Hoover power but sacrificed some important early setup shots.

Ii don't think the hitting ability of Sarah was the draw I think it was her skills as a brusher. She replaced jo at 2nd and moved jo down to lead, which is definitely a downgrade on lisa skill wise but jo is a better brusher and Sarah is only an upgrade as a hitter if you consider her better than jo, which she's definitely not.

Lisa is one of the best judges of weight out there and one of the best leads ever. If there is a weakness it's her hitting, which as a lead you almost never do. Sarah is probably a stronger sweeper but I don't know if the trade off was really worth it because , as I said jo is not as strong at lead and Sarah is not as strong as jo was at 2nd

03-25-21 04:32PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Ii don't think the hitting ability of Sarah was the draw I think it was her skills as a brusher. She replaced jo at 2nd and moved jo down to lead, which is definitely a downgrade on lisa skill wise but jo is a better brusher and Sarah is only an upgrade as a hitter if you consider her better than jo, which she's definitely not.

Lisa is one of the best judges of weight out there and one of the best leads ever. If there is a weakness it's her hitting, which as a lead you almost never do. Sarah is probably a stronger sweeper but I don't know if the trade off was really worth it because , as I said jo is not as strong at lead and Sarah is not as strong as jo was at 2nd

I agree completely. I'll certainly give them time to connect and hope it works for them. Miss Lisa though.

03-25-21 05:01PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I'm still gobsmacked that there's a team you could put together of spare unwanted parts that involves Chelsea Carey and Lisa Weagle.

03-25-21 06:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

come one sahaidak and lott. if i wasnt pulling for them before i am even more so now

03-25-21 06:05PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
I'm still gobsmacked that there's a team you could put together of spare unwanted parts that involves Chelsea Carey and Lisa Weagle.

Plus the doubles specialist Kadriana Sahaidak.

03-25-21 06:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Obviously I love both teams. Gushue has some spotty history - when he snuck by my boy Jeff Stoughton, kinda arrogant and Goo borrowed Russ Howard's brain to do in Stoughton.

Sahadiak & Danielle Schmiemann are the 2 break-out stars in this event. If someone doesn't see them as legit pick-ups for an emergent super team - I don't know what gives!

I know there's a ton of curlers in Manitoba and Alberta that are salivating at the idea of acquiring either one of these two brilliant lassies.

For me it comes down the fact that i love seeing new people win. its nothing against gushue/einarson i just like seeing new people win. and, as i said before sahaidak/lott have been so good for so long it'd be nice to see them this..

03-25-21 06:18PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

If you haven't seen it, the Sahaidak/Lott vs Jones/Laing game from 2019 was high curling drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5JnBwcX_Q

03-25-21 08:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I picked Einarson/Gushue to win but would be just as happy to see the young new faces win.

03-25-21 09:32PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

But which of the 2 teams in the finals would get Canada that coveted Olympic spot at this years worlds? And if the team doesn't qualify from the worlds who does Canada send to the last chance qualifier?
Be honest.

03-25-21 09:58PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
But which of the 2 teams in the finals would get Canada that coveted Olympic spot at this years worlds? And if the team doesn't qualify from the worlds who does Canada send to the last chance qualifier?
Be honest.

they both would.

sadly it seems like yet again the team that got the bye to the final is going to finish runner up. not looking goof through these first 4

having said that this could look very different . sahaidak/lott could have had 4 in the first. would have helped nerves im sure