Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > The first 7-ender: once again curling misses a chance to celebrate a record!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-18-20 04:37PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

The first 7-ender: once again curling misses a chance to celebrate a record!

Unbeknownst to the statistically-challenged commentators, the 7-ender just put up by Crawford’s NB rink is the BIGGEST END in Hearts record history. And it ties the Brier record.

Alas, our commentating team seems blithely unaware that history has been made. Only in curling!

PS: There has never been a 6-ender in Hearts history, putting this record in the “black swan” category.

CORRECTION: Apparently there have been several incidences of 6’s in past Scotties.

Last edited by Statman on 02-18-20 at 07:20PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-18-20 05:52PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

TSN would hire a stats guy except that would cost money. They have a great cash cow in the Scotties/Brier but you wouldn't know it. They have the exact same coverage that they had 10 or 15 years ago, haven't even changed the graphics. I remember the Sochi Olympics where they had all kinds of cool camera angles and that was the last time I saw them.
It's staler than Vic.

02-18-20 07:03PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: The first 7-ender: once again curling misses a chance to celebrate a record!

quote:
Originally posted by Statman
PS: There has never been a 6-ender in Hearts history, putting this record in the “black swan” category.

That is incorrect, assuming https://stats.curling.io/hearts/records is accurate.

The "current" highest end score is 6. Obviously it hasn't been updated with the 7 we just got. The 7 will wipe out all the 6s, so here they are, duplicated for posterity.

HIGHEST END SCORE WITH HAMMER: 6

1989 DRAW 6 ONT 3 PEI 13 PEI SCORED 6 IN THE 7TH END
1991 DRAW 3 QUE 1 ONT 14 ONT SCORED 6 IN THE SECOND END
1992 DRAW 6 NFLD 6 N.B. 13 N.B. SCORED 6 IN THE 9TH END
1993 DRAW 2 QUE 3 N.S. 11 N.S. SCORED 6 IN THE THIRD END
1994 DRAW 5 ONT 5 PEI 13 PEI SCORED 6 IN THE 8TH END
1996 DRAW 4 N.S. 13 CAN 6 N.S. SCORED 6 IN THE 9TH END
1997 DRAW 5 SASK 12 N.S. 2 SASK SCORED 6 IN THE 5TH END
1999 DRAW 14 TERR 8 MAN 11 MAN SCORED 6 IN THE 5TH END
2000 DRAW 2 TERR 3 SASK 9 SASK SCORED 6 IN THE 4TH END
2003 DRAW 7 B.C. 10 YNWT 8 B.C. SCORED 6 IN THE SECOND END
2010 DRAW 3 PEI 2 AB 13 AB SCORED 6 IN THE 6TH END
2012 DRAW 2 NT/Y 5 PE 9 PE SCORED 6 IN THE SECOND END
2013 DRAW 3 QC 5 SK 12 SK SCORED 6 IN THE 6TH END
2013 DRAW 8 BC 13 NB 7 BC SCORED 6 IN THE 9TH END
2015 DRAW 10 NL 5 TC 11 TC SCORED 6 IN THE 7TH END
2016 DRAW 2 PE 9 NL 5 PE SCORED 6 IN THE 4TH END
2018 DRAW 4 YT 1 MB 14 MB SCORED 6 IN THE 6TH END

HIGHEST END SCORE WITHOUT HAMMER: 6

2000 DRAW 4 QUE 2 ONT 14 ONT SCORED 6 IN THE 5TH END
2019 DRAW 12 PE 15 NT 5 PE SCORED 6 IN THE 8TH END

02-18-20 07:23PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that stat. Nor was I aware of the website you noted. I note that last years’s Heart’s program does not list any single-end records.

In some ways it makes the 7 ender all the more extraordinary given the number of previous sixes. And it certainly doesn’t change the fact that the commenters should have known it was a new record...and it should have been celebrated.

Thanks again.

02-18-20 07:33PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Fresca: “...no big deal.”

Are you for real? It’s the first seven-ender in more than 3,500 games and over 20,000 ends of curling. i.e. it’s unique.

02-18-20 09:07PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I sort of understand the "no big deal" remark.

Take an 8-ender, for example. This is commonly known as "the perfect end", and sometimes compared to a perfect game in bowling or baseball (or so Wikipedia says).

Neither is a fair analogy, in my opinion. Bowling is basically solitaire, there's no opposition to thwart your plan, you just have to execute.

I don't know much about baseball, but it's obvious to me that you can't compare an end of curling to a whole game of baseball. Maybe a perfect end of curling is analogous to a perfect inning of baseball, but I don't know enough about baseball to even suggest that.

So yeah, I do think a perfect game of bowling or baseball are way bigger deals than an 8-ender in curling.

02-18-20 09:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I have no problem with the 7 point pose. Make a great picture to hang up back at the club. Don't like the pose, hit a rock.

02-19-20 10:42AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I remember the Sochi Olympics where they had all kinds of cool camera angles and that was the last time I saw them.

FYI, for the olympics, TSN has no control over the camera feeds, that is handled by the host organization. They then sell the camera feed to individual nations who show the feeds how they choose. Many nations dont even send their hosts to the event for the broadcast.

All Olympic footage in the US goes to NBC. I guess in Canada it goes to TSN. But neither NBC nor TSN gets to dictate where cameras go.

02-19-20 12:29PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

FYI, for the olympics, TSN has no control over the camera feeds, that is handled by the host organization. They then sell the camera feed to individual nations who show the feeds how they choose. Many nations dont even send their hosts to the event for the broadcast.

All Olympic footage in the US goes to NBC. I guess in Canada it goes to TSN. But neither NBC nor TSN gets to dictate where cameras go.

If TSN told the hosts they wanted to add cameras to make more interesting angles the host would say go for it. Pretty sure they are the ones actually calling the shots.

02-19-20 04:22PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I’ve been on a 8 ender team twice...we got them because the other skip kept calling for draws instead of hits.

02-19-20 06:22PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Never been on one, for or against. But my late father-in-law was on the right side of an eight-ender once. His rink’s picture is still on display in Brockville.

02-19-20 07:57PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

We’v certainly veered off topic. Oh well, a family tale.

My daughter once skipped a group of first-timers in a school bonspiel against a very experienced team. She faced last rock situations against consecutive 8-enders. Unperturbed, she cut them down to a one and a three, respectively.

Nerves of steel, you bet. She is now a surgeon and still enjoys the roaring game.

Last edited by Statman on 02-19-20 at 09:17PM