Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 21 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-12-22 12:42PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I always appreciate someone who retires at their peak. Surely a very top-tier contender for GOAT lead.

Her statement also implies Mike will continue on.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-12-22 12:49PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Jen Jones post on FB.
Jennifer Jones

I don’t even know where to begin. I knew this day was coming and I am so happy for you @dawn_mcewen but I will miss you beyond words. How did time pass so quickly! Not only did you make every shot imaginable every single time you stepped on the ice you were a teammate that most only dream of having. Your work ethic and desire to be the best is unmatched. But so is your kindness and support. You were ALWAYS there for me for a shoulder to lean on and to show your belief in me. It was unwavering. Whether it was on the ice or in life. I will be forever grateful. We were teammates on the ice but sisters forever. We shared many life moments together and that is what stands out most. Having our daughters, weddings, making dreams come true together. You were always there….good and bad. Many people know you but I wish everyone could see the size of your tremendous heart. Thank you for being my teammate, my friend, for inspiring me always to chase our dreams and for the laughs. Love you so much and looking forward to the next chapter. I know it will be great because you truly deserve greatness.

03-12-22 01:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Curious if Lisa will stay on beyond the last slam or will the team disband?

03-12-22 02:34PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Curious if Lisa will stay on beyond the last slam or will the team disband?

Now we know why Lisa was brought on board. Dawn seems the considerate type who would have told Jennifer of her intentions last summer

03-12-22 03:15PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Now we know why Lisa was brought on board. Dawn seems the considerate type who would have told Jennifer of her intentions last summer

I just don't see Lawes staying 4 more years with a skip who has taken a step back in the past few seasons and certainly isn't going to get better especially when she would have her pick of players to curl with who would have a much better shot at winning worlds/olympics.

03-12-22 06:47PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Jen Jones post on FB.
Jennifer Jones

I don’t even know where to begin. I knew this day was coming and I am so happy for you @dawn_mcewen but I will miss you beyond words. How did time pass so quickly! Not only did you make every shot imaginable every single time you stepped on the ice you were a teammate that most only dream of having. Your work ethic and desire to be the best is unmatched. But so is your kindness and support. You were ALWAYS there for me for a shoulder to lean on and to show your belief in me. It was unwavering. Whether it was on the ice or in life. I will be forever grateful. We were teammates on the ice but sisters forever. We shared many life moments together and that is what stands out most. Having our daughters, weddings, making dreams come true together. You were always there….good and bad. Many people know you but I wish everyone could see the size of your tremendous heart. Thank you for being my teammate, my friend, for inspiring me always to chase our dreams and for the laughs. Love you so much and looking forward to the next chapter. I know it will be great because you truly deserve greatness.

What a lovely lovely tribute to Dawn. Brought a tear to my eye reading it.

That's how close the whole team was/is. Kaitlyn loves Jennifer to pieces as well. I wonder if they will carry on with Lisa as lead or if this is finally the last chapter of their curling story. They all have busy happy private lives so it will be interesting to see what they do.

03-13-22 04:29PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Deis alternate, Dallan Muyres, free agent:

https://twitter.com/curlinggeek/sta...057143993413643

03-13-22 04:30PM
CH14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CH14 Find more posts by CH14 Add CH14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CH14
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Lisa lives in Ontario and Peterman lives in Alberta. They won't qualify. Also don't think Lawes stays 4 more years.

03-13-22 05:00PM
wilbrich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wilbrich Find more posts by wilbrich Add wilbrich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilbrich
Knee-Slider

Residency

It seems apparent to me that something has to be done re the residency rules. I’m just a casual curling fan but I’m wondering if this might work. (1) The Skip must reside in the province the team represents. (2) The team must be members of and curl out of a club in the province. (3) The other three team members must be Canadian citizens!

These rules would be a great benefit to a number of teams that struggle every year at the Brier and Scotties to be competitive. It would also help the good teams get even better so that Canada could once again be a force to reckon with at the World’s and Olympics.

Thoughts?

03-13-22 08:36PM
CH14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CH14 Find more posts by CH14 Add CH14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CH14
Harvey Hacksmasher

I guess it depends on what the goal of Curl Canada is. If it's a true Canadian championship then nothing will change. If it's to compete at a world or Olympic level we need to change. The top teams in the world are better then our top teams as they are not hampered by the same rules. That being said our depth on the men's and women's side is unmatched. If we played any Country our top 10 vs their top 10( 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc) we win 8 at least against any Country. Something needs to change. May be two different systems. 1 for a true Canadian Championship and 1 for a rep for Worlds and Olympics.

03-13-22 11:59PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CH14

Lisa lives in Ontario and Peterman lives in Alberta. They won't qualify. Also don't think Lawes stays 4 more years.

I thought Peterman moved to Winnipeg to play with Jones and was Lawes' roommate. Unless she has moved back to Alberta which is possible.

And I don't think Curling Canada will go back to stricter residency rules. How many countries have residency rules aside from being from the same country? They want to help the elite teams as much as they can and I don't see them making it harder for the elite teams.

03-14-22 02:26AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Gushue

My prediction for them is that they stay together. Brad and Mark don’t seem to be retiring.

Obviously the issue is the comical residency thing with Gallant moving. It’s insane that CC’s rules could effectively cause one of the best teams ever to break up, not because they want to, but because a guy who has lived in NL for 8 years is moving to live with his spouse.

They get to be Team Canada at the Brier next year. And by the time the 2024 Brier rolls around, CC will figure out (or be strong armed into) revising the residency rules again.

Brad has more than enough influence in the game to ensure CC revises their rules to make it work.

03-14-22 07:39AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

I thought Peterman moved to Winnipeg to play with Jones and was Lawes' roommate. Unless she has moved back to Alberta which is possible.

And I don't think Curling Canada will go back to stricter residency rules. How many countries have residency rules aside from being from the same country? They want to help the elite teams as much as they can and I don't see them making it harder for the elite teams.

She did. Not sure what her current plans are though.

03-14-22 08:14AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Why doesn't Gallant just do the old "better school district" trick and "rent" a room at Gushue's house for the season. NL association can say "good enough for us" and they're in.

03-14-22 08:15AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Gushue

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
They get to be Team Canada at the Brier next year...

People keep suggesting that Team Canada has fewer rules than a provincial team, but I've never seen any evidence of this claim. In fact, all the evidence I've seen points to Team Canada being subjected to the same residency rules that applies to provincial teams.

As far as I can tell, Team Canada, Team Wilcard, and Team Alberta are all subject to the same level of scrutiny with regards to residency rules at Brier/Scotties. I'd love to be proven wrong if someone has evidence to the contrary.

03-14-22 09:10AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
My prediction for them is that they stay together. Brad and Mark don’t seem to be retiring.

Hey, if Tom Brady can "unretire", there's hope that these guys can do the same and stay together for one more year.
Here's hoping. I don't think anyone has Gushue fatigue yet, if there's such a thing..

03-14-22 05:38PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team reshuffle with Carly Howard skipping Team Jestyn Murphy

https://twitter.com/teamcarlyhoward...385017959206912

03-14-22 08:25PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Not a suprise - Jennifer Jone's team is parting ways.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ar...er-this-season/

Last edited by CURLER1 on 03-14-22 at 09:25PM

03-14-22 10:11PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Jennifer Jones team

I have read many things about the Jones team, curling expertise and otherwise.
So many people without knowledge about both seem to want to always speculate, and articulate their views.
I am not commenting on expertise or "the other stuff"

Jennifer and her team have shown the curling community how to go their separate was with class and dignity. you can tell from the heartfelt comments that they were a family of friends and will truly miss each other.

Well done!!

03-14-22 10:44PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Time to tighten residency rules back up. Before you jump down my throat lets look at the evidence:

Rules are Tight = Packed Houses as Brier and Scotties, CBC/TSN ratings Bonanza plus an Tsunami of Gold Medals at the Olympics (Schmirler, Jacobs, Martin, Jones, Gushue (2006). Lets throw honorable mention to Martin, Harris, Bernard, Lawes and Kleibrink for their efforts)

Rules are Loose = No provincial identity to get the fans out, Poor crowds at WCT and CCA events, plus poor performances at Olympics (Notably Gushue, Koe, Jones, Homan. Yes Brad won Bronze but not what he was there for).

Too late I know but an interesting take.

03-15-22 12:08AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Gushue

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

People keep suggesting that Team Canada has fewer rules than a provincial team, but I've never seen any evidence of this claim. In fact, all the evidence I've seen points to Team Canada being subjected to the same residency rules that applies to provincial teams.

As far as I can tell, Team Canada, Team Wilcard, and Team Alberta are all subject to the same level of scrutiny with regards to residency rules at Brier/Scotties. I'd love to be proven wrong if someone has evidence to the contrary.

Tough enough finding basic event rules on CC’s website so good luck finding that. I would tend to agree that you’re likely correct. Doesn’t change the fact that Gushue could just say to CC “we are still playing together, figure it out on your end or have fun explaining to fans that the best and most popular team can’t come to the Brier because one guy moved to live with his spouse.”

Imagine a sporting organization in Canada preventing a team that has played together for 8 years, and undoubtedly the best team in Canada, because one person moved provinces TO LIVE WITH HIS WIFE. Mickey Mouse organization.

Or let’s just continue this charade and have Gallant enrol in a few college classes at some NL institution. Purolator can cover the tuition.

03-15-22 12:39AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Gushue

quote:
Doesn’t change the fact that Gushue could just say to CC...

Oh, there's no doubt he does this. He openly says so himself, that no one would listen to him when he was young and new, but now he's accomplished so much that he does get to tell Curling Canada how he wants things done.

All of that aside, I would still love a confirmation that Team Canada is subject to residency rules. A while back people were suggesting that Bottcher could just wait until teams are eliminated at the provincials all across Canada and then pick someone to revive and recruit as replacement third.

As far as I can tell, that is an absolutely bogus assertion. My understanding is that even though Bottcher was Team Canada, he still had to declare that his residency was Alberta, and could therefore revive only someone who was eliminated in Alberta.

03-15-22 09:46AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:

Obviously the issue is the comical residency thing with Gallant moving. It’s insane that CC’s rules could effectively cause one of the best teams ever to break up, not because they want to, but because a guy who has lived in NL for 8 years is moving to live with his spouse.

They get to be Team Canada at the Brier next year. And by the time the 2024 Brier rolls around, CC will figure out (or be strong armed into) revising the residency rules again.

Brad has more than enough influence in the game to ensure CC revises their rules to make it work.

Hey, they could always play as a 3 player team! I've seen it work recently!

03-15-22 11:37AM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

If the residency rules are changed, then "fans" should apologize for bullying Team Homan. Jeering calls of "Alberta" and all during heir provincials (Em deliciously delivered him the bird).

Sad about Jones splitting. What an era. Whoever picks up any four of these ladies will be very lucky indeed. I think Kaitlyn could skip one hell of a team.

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 03-15-22 at 11:55AM

03-15-22 04:59PM
mbgoose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mbgoose Click here to Send mbgoose a Private Message Find more posts by mbgoose Add mbgoose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbgoose
Knee-Slider

Maybe Jones will take over Homan's team, with everyone moving down a position.

It will be interesting to see if any other teams start to split before the next Olympic push. Lawes could have a really great Manitoba team if the Fleury or Einarson teams make changes.