Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 19 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-04-22 02:54PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

WCF is making a conscious effort to disambiguate terms. A rink can also refer to the building, hence now we have teams. Draws can also refer to a type of shot, hence we now sessions.

They're not doing this just to piss you off. If you're upset because there are new terms that are less ambiguous and are better understood going forward for eternity at the cost of raising the eyebrows of old school traditionalists who are dying down year after year, then that's on you.

I should know better than to try to joke online. Sheesh.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-22 04:43PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by alex

We are well on the way.

LOL. I think it all started when they went to the baseball scoreboard instead of the confusing end # shingles on the nails.

03-04-22 04:49PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
baseball scoreboard

Baseball scoreboard makes the most sense for TV. Traditional scoreboard is an ingenious invention, I'm not going to lie, and it's perfect for clubs, but it makes absolutely no sense for TV.

For better or worse, whether you like it or not, TV changes curling.

03-04-22 05:41PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

Baseball scoreboard makes the most sense for TV. Traditional scoreboard is an ingenious invention, I'm not going to lie, and it's perfect for clubs, but it makes absolutely no sense for TV.

For better or worse, whether you like it or not, TV changes curling.

What’s your rationale for the baseball scoreboard making most sense for TV?

03-04-22 05:49PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

I’m not op but I do agree. Baseball scoreboard makes sense since more people are familiar with it. It’s also most similar to every other sport scoreboard. No one doesn’t get it if they follow sport. Curling traditional is confusing even in beginner leagues people struggle. But in club it makes sense because you just need 11 number cards instead of a ton more.

03-04-22 05:56PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

WCF is making a conscious effort to disambiguate terms.

The WCF and CC both refer to 'teams' in their rules. However, the WCF rules refer to 'the first player' while the CC rules refer to 'the lead player'. I suspect the WCF uses a term that is easier to translate.

Note that the French version of the CC rules refer to 'le premier joueur'.

03-04-22 05:59PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Makes sense , Olivier. Thanks

03-04-22 06:01PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I think it's more fun to discuss why curling clubs use traditional scoreboard in the first place, but to answer your question, I'll use a link and a quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtUpHUK6vEg&t=12s
Chelsea Carey: "So when you watch curling on TV, they have scoreboards that have totals at the end, so it's really easy to follow and see who's ahead and who scored what. On a traditional scoreboard it's a little bit more complicated."

Baseball scoreboard is also more visual. If a team scores 5 in 3rd end, for example, the camera can just zoom in at the big number 5 in column 3. On a traditional scoreboard, you have to zoom out to show big scores, which goes against conventions of cinematography and the visual language of the camera.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-04-22 at 06:07PM

03-04-22 06:08PM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Thanks curlingclips. That makes sense.

I used to love walking into the curling rink and looking at the old fashioned scoreboards. When there was a huge gap between the shingles we knew a big end had been scored! Now we see the large end scored by the numeral and get the same reaction, I suppose.

03-04-22 06:15PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
When there was a huge gap between the shingles we knew a big end had been scored!

In most cases, the presence of something is more compelling than the absence of something.

For most people, the presence of the number 8 in a box on a baseball scoreboard has a more visual impact than a big gap between two numbers that differ by 8 on a traditional scoreboard.

03-04-22 06:48PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

In baseball both teams can score in an inning. I find it quite rare for both teams to score in a curling end although we keep putting up zeroes. Actually we don't in our club, just leave a blank on one side. No one bothers putting up the totals in the club games so you have to add up to find who is ahead.

03-04-22 07:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I think it's more fun to discuss why curling clubs use traditional scoreboard in the first place, but to answer your question,.

Many curling clubs are hanging on by their fingernails just to survive. Spending money to change scoreboards is simply not in the budget. Stopping the rain from coming in is much more important. Paying staff a competitive salary is much more important. Finding money for ever increasing insurance/taxes is much more important.
But thanks for hijacking another thread with your minutiae.

03-04-22 07:33PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by alex
In baseball both teams can score in an inning. I find it quite rare for both teams to score in a curling end although we keep putting up zeroes. Actually we don't in our club, just leave a blank on one side. No one bothers putting up the totals in the club games so you have to add up to find who is ahead.

Your club has baseball scoreboards? Don't think I've ever seen that. Don't wanna say it's wrong but man, it's just wrong lol.

03-04-22 08:04PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Galusha has put out an announcement that they're staying together. Yeah!

https://twitter.com/TeamGalusha/sta...874002247950336

03-04-22 08:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Many curling clubs are hanging on by their fingernails just to survive. Spending money to change scoreboards is simply not in the budget. Stopping the rain from coming in is much more important. Paying staff a competitive salary is much more important. Finding money for ever increasing insurance/taxes is much more important.

Can I get an Amen. “Like”.

Can you say “Until blue in the face”? I thought you could.

99% of all curlers understand the scoreboard. Pretty simple operation. Baseball style is for non curlers. 30 seconds once to explain how it works and it’s oh I see it now. For the clubs they have 11 numbers max to post score instead of 20-30-40. It all adds up. Can’t respond to other countries but in Canada we know the score.

Start the clock for the response. 817 EST.

03-04-22 08:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

One more thing. When did team changes become scoreboards?!!

03-04-22 08:22PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Jill Brothers from NS to join team Crawford in NB.

Yes! Nice pickup. Just saw this announcement on their Insta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CasSNYTpT_V/

team.crawford
We are very excited to share that @jillianlbrothers will be joining our lineup at the second position!

Jill’s incredible career resume includes 2004 World Junior Silver Medallist, 2010 Canadian Mixed Champion, competitor at the 2021 Olympic Pre-Trials, and a 5-time Nova Scotia champion at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.

We are thrilled to add Jill’s amazing skill and work ethic to our team and look forward to the upcoming season.

Welcome Jill!

(Let's TRY to stay on topic here, folks)

03-04-22 08:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Yes! Nice pickup. Just saw this announcement on their Insta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CasSNYTpT_V/

team.crawford
We are very excited to share that @jillianlbrothers will be joining our lineup at the second position!

Jill’s incredible career resume includes 2004 World Junior Silver Medallist, 2010 Canadian Mixed Champion, competitor at the 2021 Olympic Pre-Trials, and a 5-time Nova Scotia champion at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.

We are thrilled to add Jill’s amazing skill and work ethic to our team and look forward to the upcoming season.

Welcome Jill!

(Let's TRY to stay on topic here, folks)

Yes I think she’ll help bring that team to the next level. Did so well at the Scottie’s. A loss for NS but huge gain for NB. New cheer. Go Maritimes Go.

03-04-22 09:00PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

I said traditional scoreboard is an ingenious invention, and it's more fun to talk about. That's an absolutely positive review, and not an attack.

Also, I'm not the one who brought up scoreboards. I didn't hijack this thread this time.

For that matter, I didn't hijack this thread last time either. I wasn't the one who brought up the need for change in residency rules, etc.

Conversation flows, and yes, I take part in that flow, but I don't usually start the divergence.

03-04-22 09:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Blue man group.

03-04-22 09:41PM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Blue man group.

SIgh. You can’t see why you’re just as bad?

03-05-22 12:34PM
Alvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alvin Find more posts by Alvin Add Alvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alvin
Knee-Slider

How can you improve your team if you don't make a change now and then.

03-05-22 12:49PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
How can you improve your team if you don't make a change now and then.

Play better.

03-06-22 11:24PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Mary-Anne Arsenault stepping back from the game.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...cXdlB_L7woe3sjw

03-07-22 07:53AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Team Harrison has dropped out of the Ontario Scotties reboot…perhaps another team break up?