Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 33 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-05-22 07:39PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Team McEwen official

Skip: Mike McEwen
Third: Ryan Fry
Second: Jonathan Beuk
Lead: Brent Laing

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-08-22 06:05PM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not sure how to assess this new McEwen team. That said, not sure how to rank the 2022/23 Ontario-based teams.

Any thoughts??

08-08-22 07:32PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by OverAndOut
Not sure how to assess this new McEwen team. That said, not sure how to rank the 2022/23 Ontario-based teams.

Any thoughts??

Think it will probably start quite well. All excellent curlers and thinkers but none will be improving. Fry seems best when with new teams but seems to lose enthusiasm after a while. I would be surprised in they win worlds'.

08-11-22 06:02AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Eve Muirhead has retired. Sad day but what a career she had.

08-11-22 06:56AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A shame but hopefully Scotland has some more talent. I thought she’d do one more year. Wonder what prompted this?

https://twitter.com/evemuirhead/sta...yPdrEVz8dmxGEGA

08-11-22 09:03AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Eve has posted an article for The Courier where she gives the reasons for her retirement in more detail. I'll sum up the main points here:

- after she and Bobbie Lammie won the World Mixed Doubles last season, she wanted the chance to devote herself entirely to mixed doubles from now on. The program did not give her that option when she asked. "That was when the big lightbulb came on."

- before that there had been a smaller lightbulb, when after they had their really bad World Championships in the Calgary bubble, everyone went completely silent on her apart from family and close friends and a few others who helped her pull things back together. She says that was a pretty brutal experience.

- even though she's playing as well as ever and her body isn't telling her to stop, she doesn't want to go on to just tick a box, and with three other important people from her gold medal team having already left, (Wright, Smith, and their coach Kristian Lindstrom), she saw she'd be starting from near the bottom of the mountain again and didn't think she could muster the motivation to continue climbing that for what would be her fifth four-year Olympic cycle.

- she has put herself down for a duathlon and will be entering the London Marathon at some point, and "who knows what else."

08-11-22 09:48AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I will admit. It was a shocker, but the quotes really do shed some light on the system the Scots use. She is pretty young and has received accolades that will carry her forward post-career. When I read about the duathalon and marathon goals I thought of Ms Courtney, of course. So, they are both moving forward and away. Ah, to have that youth and optimism. Curling can stink sometimes. Best wishes to a great future Eve. Join us in watching the current quadrennial from a distance. Never a dull moment... except maybe mid July.

08-11-22 01:13PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Observer

- after she and Bobbie Lammie won the World Mixed Doubles last season, she wanted the chance to devote herself entirely to mixed doubles from now on. The program did not give her that option when she asked. "That was when the big lightbulb came on."

Figures. Knowing the Scottish system which is old school dictatorship model where the players are controlled by the suits I figured there had to be some politics invloved. When the most accomplished curler your country has ever had asks to do something reasonable like asking to focus on MD you don't say no but apparently they did.
Always thought Eve's job was curling, suprised she didn't stick around for another quad to cash in on sponsorships and the like but maybe she's set for life already or maybe she's just tired of it all.
Going out on top that's for sure.

Last edited by hogged again on 08-11-22 at 01:16PM

08-11-22 01:39PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Some thinly veiled shots at the Scottish system in that article. I figure maybe Bobby Lammie didn’t want to go full time MD (why would he when his Mouat team are going to own the men’s game for the next decade?) and the idea kinda fell apart after that.

IMO nothing sums up Muirhead’s career better than her two titles in 2022. When she was on great form (like in the world mixed doubles) she could absolutely cruise through a field. Muirhead and Lammie never looked like losing a game that week and were absolutely deserving champions.

Then you’ve got the Muirhead from the Olympics in Beijing. Eve and her team weren’t always on great form that week, but they still managed to find a way to sneak through the RR, and then they raised their game in the playoffs to win gold.

What an unbelievable career. Eve is not only the best curler Scotland has ever produced, but she has a very strong argument to be the best ever female athlete from Scotland period. I’ll raise a glass to Eve tonight.

Where do we go from here? I’d imagine Jen Dodds will form a team with the remaining members of Team Muirhead (Hailey Duff and Beth Farmer) plus a new player. They will compete with Rebecca Morrison’s team to represent Scotland/GB women over the next quadrennial. But I think it’ll be a transitional period where we struggle to medal on the world stage.

As good as Muirhead was in mixed, I still expect Scotland to be big time players on the world stage. Mouat and Dodds are a world class team and surely Lammie will find a new job partner too.

08-12-22 12:04PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Jamie Sinclair will be a super spare for Chelsea Carey’s team this season.

08-14-22 09:29AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Figures. Knowing the Scottish system which is old school dictatorship model where the players are controlled by the suits I figured there had to be some politics invloved. When the most accomplished curler your country has ever had asks to do something reasonable like asking to focus on MD you don't say no but apparently they did.
Always thought Eve's job was curling, suprised she didn't stick around for another quad to cash in on sponsorships and the like but maybe she's set for life already or maybe she's just tired of it all.
Going out on top that's for sure.

This is the direction the Americans are going.
Dictating who, when and where the curlers play. For example: The best American womens curler wasn’t placed on a team. And many times the national champion team gets kicked to the curb and a chosen team is sent.
I guess most countries have their quirks. Most Asian teams are picked by their organizations. Canada’s only true national championship only happens every 4 years.
Switzerland might be the only country that’s doing it right.

08-14-22 03:52PM
shocka22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shocka22 Find more posts by shocka22 Add shocka22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shocka22
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sara McManus from team Hasselborg is pregnant. How will it affect them? Maybe alternate Johanna Hedlin will jump in

08-18-22 12:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Not surprised about but sad yo see her go

Interesting g now. Wuth russia banned and Muirhead retired 2 of the world's powers in womens curling are out of the picture. Let's face it, after Muirhead Scotland has no one championship calibre.

Euros are diwn to Sweden and switzerland . I font even know who would fill that void. Seems maybe germany is the best poised. Italy and Norway maybe dark horses

08-18-22 12:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Also , seems like another lineup change.vthis one forcthe young German team

Totzek replacing muskatewitz and joshua sutor wuth Klaudius harsch and magnus sutor at 3rd and 2nd respectively

08-19-22 04:23AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Wow, after not allowing Muirhead to focus on mixed doubles, they are now allowing Jen Dodds to do exactly that.

Beth Farmer (who was due to play lead for Muirhead) is going to form a team with Hailey Duff who will likely compete against Rebecca Morrison’s team to represent Scotland. But it’ll be a long rebuilding process for the next quadrant. Expect Scotland to dominate the men’s and MD game but our women face a rebuilding period.

08-19-22 08:21AM
Observer
Swing Artist

Eve's posted this week's edition of her column. The first two-thirds is thanking everyone for all the kind messages and how much she appreciates hearing them from everyone, and so on.

The juicy part comes after that, I'll quote it here:

"Mixed doubles ‘no’ was the message

There’s no sugar-coating it – the announcement of their plans for the new season did feel like a kick in the teeth to be honest.

After last season had finished I specifically asked whether there would be an option of just doing mixed doubles with Bobby Lammie, who I’d just won the Worlds with, and was told it was a ‘no’.

Two years out from the Olympic Games it might be, but definitely not now.

I do know that things change in sport quickly, and my retirement has caused them to have a shuffle of the pack.

But to see British Curling go with that exact proposal I made (with Jen Dodds) is frustrating.

After that ‘no’ to the mixed I got, in the couple of weeks between me informing them that I intended to retire and going public with it, I was never told that their thoughts on the subject have changed.

Like I said last week, though, I know I’ve come to the right conclusion. Maybe even more so now.

The time is right to move on."

And she goes on to say she will be continuing to write all about all the changes there and worldwide in her column.

08-20-22 11:42AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Nancy Martin's MD partner for the Summer Series is Brayden Stewart, just for this event?

08-24-22 10:28AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Team Hasselborg has dumped Wayne Middaugh and picked up Eve Muirheads former coach Kristin Lindstrom

08-24-22 02:56PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Team Hasselborg has dumped Wayne Middaugh and picked up Eve Muirheads former coach Kristin Lindstrom

I kinda foresaw changes with the coaching with that team.

08-24-22 10:08PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

The change also makes sense in that Kristian is the long-term partner of Johanna Heldin who is the alternate for Team Hasselborg. With Sara being pregnant Johanna will have a larger role on the team this year.

08-25-22 05:22PM
ArbiterOfDestin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ArbiterOfDestin Find more posts by ArbiterOfDestin Add ArbiterOfDestin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ArbiterOfDestin
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch
The change also makes sense in that Kristian is the long-term partner of Johanna Heldin who is the alternate for Team Hasselborg. With Sara being pregnant Johanna will have a larger role on the team this year.

Well, they probably just need to change something in the team. In recent years, their level has dropped a little, it's just the beginning of changes.

08-28-22 05:21PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Ryan Fry will be the new coach for Team Homan.

08-28-22 08:59PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Ryan Fry will be the new coach for Team Homan.

Fry vs Middaugh and they picked Fry? Hope the party fund is well stocked.

09-21-22 12:44PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Dustin Kalthoff, third on Team Klebrink, will be looking for other curling opportunities

https://twitter.com/team_kleibrink/...390223400833024

09-23-22 03:58PM
Ricorock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricorock Find more posts by Ricorock Add Ricorock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricorock
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Fry vs Middaugh and they picked Fry? Hope the party fund is well stocked.

It looks like they're going to have lots of time. Team Homan looks like a dysfunctional team. Tracy is supposed to be skipping but the rest of the team is eating her alive. I feel sorry for her.