Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-21 08:16PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Worlds 2021

I'm a bit disappointed that this USA Curling forum hasn't fired up this week. We have legitimate chances in both Women's and Men's for gold. Not the favorites, but a real chance.

Add to that the importance of a Top 6 finish to qualify for the Olympics.

Shuster and his team just had a huge day with two quality wins. We haven't won Men's Gold since 1978. I hope everyone is excited.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-08-21 06:09PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

One win away! Denmark tried to play spoiler but Shuster took care of business. Shaky 7th end led to an opportunity for Denmark to get four but they only got one.

04-08-21 11:19PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Men are Olympics bound!

04-08-21 11:58PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Leaderboard says "Shuster Q". I like that.

1978 was 43 years ago. I checked with a calculator. That team was Bob Nichols, Bill Strum, Tom Locken and Bill Christman. That team also had Duluth/Superior roots.

Ben Tucker

04-09-21 10:13AM
1manwolfpack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1manwolfpack Click here to Send 1manwolfpack a Private Message Find more posts by 1manwolfpack Add 1manwolfpack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1manwolfpack
Knee-Slider

Strategy

Wasn't a huge fan of Shuster's strategy in last night's Ned game... Thought the 5th should have been blanked and retain hammer for the 6th.
Also thought End 1 could have been played way cleaner. They got by with a win because of missed Ned shots.
That will work against lesser competition, but not against the teams they'll face in the semis!

04-09-21 10:50AM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Shuster played exactly the strategy you should use playing against weaker competition. Blanking ends only helps the weaker team. Weaker teams love shortening the game by blanking ends.

The manufactured deuce in the fifth was a thing of beauty.

04-09-21 11:41AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
[B
1978 was 43 years ago. I checked with a calculator. That team was Bob Nichols, Bill Strum, Tom Locken and Bill Christman. That team also had Duluth/Superior roots.[/B]

It was in the old Winnipeg arena and wasn't called the Worlds it was the Air Canada Silver Broom and the trophy was actually was made of silver and looked like a corn broom. Coolest trophy ever.
If I recall correctly one of the Americans-lead or 2nd--slid out on his knee, not his foot.

04-09-21 06:52PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

So I’ve been hanging out in the main thread, not the USA specific thread….

1) not that decruz is easy, but nice to dodge Canada and Sweden on our side of the bracket

2) Hamilton’s hair is glorious

05-03-21 10:00PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

As I was sayin':

Team USA is looking great with both Shuster and Tabs Peterson having legit shots to medal and perhaps get the gold. Shuster ran into some Covid drama, but did extremely well. Now Tabs is off to a great start. Big day tomorrow and tonight's game against DuPont isn't a bye.

Time to get excited.

Ben Tucker
USA

05-04-21 08:12AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oops. How about that for jinxing a curling team? My bad. Still, a good day today would go a long way. Since we finish the round robin with the Russians and the Swiss, we need a good day today.

05-05-21 12:31AM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

6-3!

Need to win 2 of 4 coming home to feel safe tall order as 3 of those are against the top 3.

That Denmark loss really stings

05-05-21 12:24PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
6-3!

Need to win 2 of 4 coming home to feel safe tall order as 3 of those are against the top 3.

That Denmark loss really stings

Yes it hurt but the other possible teams that have a chance at landing 4 through 6 have 10 games between them. I predict 7-6 gets them in, tiebreaker at worst, most likely with Korea.

05-05-21 05:13PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

It appears as though SWE is taking out their loss to RCF on the U.S. team this afternoon.

Trailing by 4 in end 5.

C'mon U.S. Give 'er!

05-05-21 09:32PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Well, this is getting exciting.

3 teams are looking golden to lock up a spot in the Olympics. 7 teams fighting for the remaining 3 spots (I'm ignoring the automatic spot for the host country).

Tabs and the team are looking good right now, but finish with the Swiss and the Russians after a "pretty-much-must-win" game with Czechoslovakian team.

I'm not buy that. Last year, when Tabs shocked us all with her skipping skills, these were teams that they faced regularly and beat fairly often. They seem to be on the road back to last year's form. A very tough road, but they could sweep all three games.

CZE just upset the Russians. None of these teams are unbeatable and none of them are automatic wins. Very exciting. Exciting to be a fan of USA curling this year. Nice to be competitive.

Ben Tucker

05-05-21 11:55PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Yes it hurt but the other possible teams that have a chance at landing 4 through 6 have 10 games between them. I predict 7-6 gets them in, tiebreaker at worst, most likely with Korea.

No tiebreaker games at worlds

05-06-21 08:50AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler

No tiebreaker games at worlds

Sure there is, head to head and then DSC if three teams went 1-1.

05-06-21 08:23PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Well, poop. A one point loss to the Swiss who are leading the Round Robin. Poop.

USA currently sits alone in 4th, but some teams could pass us and some that have a tiebreaker edge could tie us. A win against a very good Swedish team would pretty much cement our Olympic spot. Still, it's game that I would expect Tabitha and her team do fare well against when they were surprising us last year. They sure seem to be getting back to that level of play this week.

Fun stuff.

I wonder how Tabs let the Swiss blank the ninth end.

It's pretty clear that when southerncurler posted "no tiebreakers" he meant no tiebreaker games. I appreciated the reminder.

Ben Tucker
Former curler

05-06-21 10:04PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

That ninth versus the Swiss was nearly a disaster. Midway through it the Swiss had 4 yellow lined up and frozen nearly under a guard in the 4 to 12 foot. Nina had to make a tough triple just to make room and then they couldn’t roll under the guard to force the rest of the end.

05-06-21 11:15PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Russian. I typed Swedes, but I meant Russians. We need to win this last game and I'm liking our chances.

Korea losing to the Swedes would help. Scotland is behind Russia in the 7th and that helps.

Go USA!

Tuck

05-07-21 02:35PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

We sit and wait.

Looks pretty promising due to DSC average but lots of permutations still.

05-07-21 10:29PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Made it. Well done ladies

05-08-21 06:12PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Struggling early to go toe-to-toe with the Swiss.
U.S. needs to step up the intensity; and precision before this game gets away from them.

05-08-21 09:24PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Once the gals got that all-important Q (for qualified) behind the USA, I wanted to shout and suggest that they weren't done yet. I refrained for fear of bringing some bad luck their way.

It's a great year to be a USA curling fan. Both genders make the World playoffs. Both genders secured a spot in the next Olympics (no small feat, because Covid forced everything down to one World's and that's enough pressure to form diamonds).

I'm very proud of our teams. We need better coverage in the USA, but it's a good year.

This is where I should shout, "I TOLD YOU SO", but I hope for and predict good things for Team USA all the time. I was right this time, thanks to some wonderful players.

Ben Tucker

05-08-21 11:03PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I like the US team they are class acts but I'm also glad they didn't win because if they did then the US association who meddle in the team making would think they are doing the right thing. The players need to make the teams, not some busybodies. I was happy when Shuster came through and won gold after they didn't include him in their high performance program because they thought he wasn't good enough.

05-09-21 12:07PM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

The U.S. women apparently watched that RCF-SWE game last night and are following the RCF gameplan. Lots of rocks in play.

It appears to be working. Tied after 5 with some momentum in their favour.