Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-23 06:17AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

2023 Women's Worlds

There's a big, big difference in the ice and in the rocks between the Scotties/Brier and the Women's Worlds.
Thus far in Sweden (I've watched 2 games), the ice lasts for only about 5 ends (and it's not great for those 5 ends), then it breaks down.
And the rocks are dead compared to what we have in Canada.

The result is that the curling is not of as high a calibre as we're accustomed to - there are many shots missed (see Hasselborg's last rock vs. Canada - a draw to the 4 foot which didn't come close to making the House), and there are lots of steals.

The games overall have been exciting to watch - they've been close... but the quality is not what we're used to (and not what the players are capable of).

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-23 11:10AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Did you see that Tabitha Peterson runback+pick on the last shot of the game for the win vs CAN?

That was clutch. The USA skip has ice water in her veins!

https://youtu.be/8dBbve_kgAw?t=245

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 03-19-23 at 12:25PM

03-19-23 01:34PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Really liking that drone shot from right above the sweepers that follows them all the way down the ice.
One bad call cost Einarson this morning. Throwing a tough freeze against 2 brought the 3 into play in 8. Just throw a hit, you will almost always get 1 out and stay tied with hammer. She called it fast, Val didn't question it, she asked the front end if they liked it and got a yes but it wasn't enthusiastic.
1-1 is OK though and she has made some clutch shots that should give confidence going forward in marathon 12 game round robin.

03-19-23 05:42PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Yikes, Scotland was up 7-2 after six ends and end up losing 9-8, with Japan getting 4 in the tenth to win.

03-19-23 06:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I've seen all 3 games so far. Thankfully the overnight game was replayed later. The ice conditions there just goes to show the Canadian teams and top teams that play in Canada all the time how spoiled they are with usually consistent pristine conditions. No matter how bad the ice is, it's the same for both teams, with the advantage going to the teams that play that type of ice more often. I expect more "upsets" throughout the week.

Go Canada Go.

03-19-23 07:32PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Nice gift that Norway gave Canada in the last end. Oversea coaches should use that end as an example of what not to do with the hammer tied after nine.

03-19-23 09:19PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Did you see that Tabitha Peterson runback+pick on the last shot of the game for the win vs CAN?

I saw it and that Russ only gave her a 5% chance in making the shot.. good for her!

03-19-23 10:10PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

How nice of World Curling to air this amateur event. Really love watching the world's best women curlers miss shot after shot. Nothing more enjoyable than 50% curling from top athletes.

Just kidding. This is a repugnant event. Whoever is in charge of this surface should never work in the sport again. Awful to watch, awful to play in I'm sure. And it's inexcusable. This is a new facility in a country familiar with the sport. The sole explanation is that world curling is inept at managing ice. I'm not expecting perfection, I love a little twist and turn, but crap ice is crap and it does not belong at this level. Imagine a professional golf course where the grass wasn't even cut properly or half of some holes were swamp instead of turf. It wouldn't happen. It should not happen at any world curling event. But this sport is burdened but a terrible international organization that endlessly brings it down. At some point Canada should just quit.

Unless you're Alina Paetz, I guess, who apparently can still curl 99%. Didn't see that game but it looks like she threw 5/18 draws and made them all pretty much beautifully (none were that hard but still). So maybe it's not the ice and the elite women curlers are just wildly inconsistent?

03-19-23 10:18PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
So maybe it's not the ice

Chief Ice Tech is the same person as it ever was for WCF.

Supposedly Team Tirinzoni practices on varying ice by design. They actually request their practice ice to be made one way one day, and a different way the next day, etc., instead of practicing only on the single most perfect condition.

03-19-23 10:58PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
How nice of World Curling to air this amateur event. Really love watching the world's best women curlers miss shot after shot. Nothing more enjoyable than 50% curling from top athletes.

Just kidding. This is a repugnant event. Whoever is in charge of this surface should never work in the sport again. Awful to watch, awful to play in I'm sure. And it's inexcusable. This is a new facility in a country familiar with the sport. The sole explanation is that world curling is inept at managing ice. I'm not expecting perfection, I love a little twist and turn, but crap ice is crap and it does not belong at this level. Imagine a professional golf course where the grass wasn't even cut properly or half of some holes were swamp instead of turf. It wouldn't happen. It should not happen at any world curling event. But this sport is burdened but a terrible international organization that endlessly brings it down. At some point Canada should just quit.

Unless you're Alina Paetz, I guess, who apparently can still curl 99%. Didn't see that game but it looks like she threw 5/18 draws and made them all pretty much beautifully (none were that hard but still). So maybe it's not the ice and the elite women curlers are just wildly inconsistent?

Yes and it's hilarious to see Russ dancing around the issue. Oh the ice is fabulous, the icemakers are working so hard and in the next sentence oh it's really fudging down the middle and it's only the 5th end.
I have never seen so many draws missed light by a mile since my last C group club game and it's only day 2. Some hits have ended up back line weight too.
I think this will actually benefit Einarson. Her front end are two of the best out there and I expect they will get a handle on the ice and the finicky paths better than the other front ends.
It's interesting to note that Russ and Cathy were talking about how the WCF mandates the swing in the ice, demanding it be quite a bit less than it is for Scotties/Brier. Maybe this hampers the ability of the ice crew (pebbling, nipping etc) to make better ice?

Last edited by hogged again on 03-19-23 at 11:06PM

03-19-23 11:17PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke

Yes, I saw the shot. Very nice, indeed.

But I doubt she would have made it on good ice.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-20-23 12:14AM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think it’s fair to say we may be spoiled by watching the pros play on good ice here in Canada.
I believe that Russ just cannot say what he really would like to say “namely that the ice AND the rocks suck. Being a new facility with different problems for the Ice Technicians I’m hopeful they will get it figured out soon before it’s too late. The rocks are also “dead” with those big flat striking bands.
IMHO these conditions are not acceptable in this type of competition. Making the girls look bad..they will have to play the game to these conditions limiting there skill.

Two things can happen…One is bad

03-20-23 01:35AM
Brandon378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon378 Find more posts by Brandon378 Add Brandon378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brandon378
Harvey Hacksmasher

The best Threadripper motherboard will provide the platform to unleash the power of this processor while giving you the features you need to get the most out of your build. Whether you’re looking for a high-end gaming board, a workstation board with loads of features, or something in between, there’s something for everyone. https://justmotherboard.com/best-mo...r-ryzen-5-3600/

03-20-23 10:00AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Russ Howard may be a very good curler, and very knowledgable. But, he is a terrible commentator .

03-20-23 11:07AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Pro tip: Joanne Courtney and Niklas Edin are commentating for Recast.

Niklas Edin is on top of my list for most insightful commentator. Super chill and no hype, but the things he said about curling will blow your mind intellectually.

If you like the skip's mind insights from the likes of Chelsea Carey and Jennifer Jones, Niklas Edin is on another level.

03-20-23 11:53AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Chief Ice Tech is the same person as it ever was for WCF.

Supposedly Team Tirinzoni practices on varying ice by design. They actually request their practice ice to be made one way one day, and a different way the next day, etc., instead of practicing only on the single most perfect condition.

Is practising on perfect ice something international teams do? I've never heard of it in Canada. Almost all Canadians use club facilities which are 1) wildly varied, and 2) very imperfect. I'm 100% positive the top teams will tweak the ice, they have access to the club clippers and scrapers, but they're not throwing arena ice except at events.

It's also important to differentiate between 1) bad ice reading and 2) bad ice. The issue with the latter is that the ice changes constantly and there's nothing to "read".

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-20-23 at 11:57AM

03-20-23 11:53AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

The ice at the 1993 Worlds in Geneva was terrible. Patinoire des Vernets had a sloped floor, leading to occasional frost at one end only. Russ, perhaps owing to the outstanding team he had, went out of his way to praise the ice-makers to us in the media scrum after every draw.

03-20-23 12:31PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
they're not throwing arena ice except at events

Well, Kim Eun-jung moved from Uiseong to Gangneung, and I think part of the reason is because they want to utilize the Gangneung Curling Center from 2018 Olympics.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.co...4171200409.html

So my (unconfirmed) guess is that Team Kim does practice on arena ice.

Gangneung Curling Center still exists today. It will host 2023 World Mixed Doubles next month.

03-20-23 12:55PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Making the girls look bad..they will have to play the game to these conditions limiting [/B][/QUOTe
Try using the word "women". It is the same number of letters.

03-20-23 03:52PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Well, Kim Eun-jung moved from Uiseong to Gangneung, and I think part of the reason is because they want to utilize the Gangneung Curling Center from 2018 Olympics.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.co...4171200409.html

So my (unconfirmed) guess is that Team Kim does practice on arena ice.

Gangneung Curling Center still exists today. It will host 2023 World Mixed Doubles next month.

Interesting, then. It seems international teams are being given advantages Canadian teams do not have. Maybe something Murdoch will address?

03-20-23 04:00PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Weird. They are talking about flies on the ice and Cathy says it is not unusual to find flies on curling club ice but in 50 years of curling I have never seen 1. Must be playing in clubs with big Raid budget lol.

03-20-23 04:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
It seems international teams are being given advantages Canadian teams do not have.

From watching https://www.youtube.com/@RussianCurlingTv/streams I would guess that Russia is still using the Ice Cube that was also used in Sochi 2014 Olympics, and they're constantly livestreaming so many events there that you might as well say they practice on arena ice.

Of course now they're making their own curling stones and basic equipments etc., plus they're banned and relegated all the way down all ladders, so I wouldn't say that they're at an advantageous position right now.

Wikipedia says that Milli Piyango Curling Arena is the only curling facility in Türkiye, built for 2011 Winter Universiade but has also hosted other WCF events since. One would reasonably guess that Türkiye also practices on arena ice.

I think it's just a very different dynamic in other countries that aren't curling nation but has hosted big curling events. For Canada, from what I understand, the Olympic venue from 2010 is now long gone.

//edit: correction, apparently the Hillcrest Centre still exists, and home to Vancouver Curling Club. They did some conversion post-Olympics, but depending on what remains, I think you could maybe argue that the club practices on arena ice.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-20-23 at 05:04PM

03-20-23 05:28PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Russ Howard may be a very good curler, and very knowledgable. But, he is a terrible commentator .

I have always believed that if Vic simply stop peppering him with 300+ questions every single game, that Russ' commentary/analysis would be quite satisfactory.

Query: While on live TV, how does one tell his boss that he's not going to answer any more @#$%&+= questions and Still Survive?

03-20-23 08:13PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Making the girls look bad..they will have to play the game to these conditions limiting [/QUOTe
Try using the word "women". It is the same number of letters. [/B]

Or I coulda added a letter and called them “Ladies”.

You picky…….My bad

Two things can happen..one is bad

03-20-23 10:20PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Ehhhh. I’m more sensitive than the average person and I think girls is just fine. Gushue and the boys won the Brier. Einarson and the girls won the Scotties. It’s fine. People use that term themselves. Girls, gals, ladies, champs, badass mother…s.