Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-10-19 08:22PM
Jayelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jayelle Find more posts by Jayelle Add Jayelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

Would Savill walking off the ice and telling Epping to get Fry to sweep his rock be considered acting like a dick?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-19 08:45PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jayelle
Would Savill walking off the ice and telling Epping to get Fry to sweep his rock be considered acting like a dick?

Only to those types of people who think it's okay to behave like a dick and treat teammates with no class and then cry crocodile tears when they get the same type of treatment in return.

It's called karma Jayelle. You reap what you sow.

04-10-19 08:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I can see both sides here. It's never fun to make a player change on a team, especially the poor bast@rd who is the odd man out. Always worse when someone is replaced vs someone who voluntarily leaves for a different team, although both can leave a sour taste. Seems as though it doesn't rattle the fans nerves as much for the lower rated teams vs the top "slam" teams, even though it's the same affect on both.

Maybe curling needs a trade/firing/leaving deadline date. TSN can broadcast all the changes the day after the last slam..

04-10-19 09:44PM
Jayelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jayelle Find more posts by Jayelle Add Jayelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Only to those types of people who think it's okay to behave like a dick and treat teammates with no class and then cry crocodile tears when they get the same type of treatment in return.

It's called karma Jayelle. You reap what you sow.

I think Craig Savill is too classy to do what you suggest.

Taking the high road when you’re treated unfairly ( whether he was is subjective) is a better option in my opinion.

Look up the definition of karma.

While it’s fun to express opinions about these teams changes It’s really none of our business how the teams go about it.

04-11-19 08:53AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I think Craig Savill is too classy to do what you suggest.

Taking the high road when you’re treated unfairly ( whether he was is subjective) is a better option in my opinion.

Look up the definition of karma.

While it’s fun to express opinions about these teams changes It’s really none of our business how the teams go about it.

Gee thanks for the advice but I'm well aware of what karma means.

And let me offer one in return: learn to read. I never suggested Saville walk off the ice nor urged him to do so. I actually posed a simple question for which the answer was pretty obvious: Saville won't because he has more class than Epping.

As for 'none of our business' remember that these teams/individuals have chosen to live in the public eye to reap fame and fortune. If you choose, like Epping, to publicly announce the firing of a player and then it comes to light you handled it badly, it will be discussed and judged by the very public you court with your team pages and various social media accounts. So if you don't want this kind of discussion and potential criticism then either ; a) don't blab about it, and b) do it properly.

04-11-19 09:01AM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I can see both sides here. It's never fun to make a player change on a team, especially the poor bast@rd who is the odd man out. Always worse when someone is replaced vs someone who voluntarily leaves for a different team, although both can leave a sour taste. Seems as though it doesn't rattle the fans nerves as much for the lower rated teams vs the top "slam" teams, even though it's the same affect on both.

Maybe curling needs a trade/firing/leaving deadline date. TSN can broadcast all the changes the day after the last slam..

I would disagree. There's lots of noise and gossiping done when non-slam competitive teams make changes it's just not done on line or by talking-head sports announcers. It happens, so to speak, in the small world not the big world.

But just like in the real world there is a right way and a wrong way to handle this. Part of the role of skip is to handle this particular aspect of the position and to do so properly.

Epping, like the Jones/Overton fiasco a few years ago, did not and now gets some heat for it. Not as much as Jones did but heat nonetheless,

People forget that Craig Saville know loses out on benefits the team will have next season which come as a direct result from his efforts. True, he has an opportunity to join another team but that doesn't always pan out does it?

We also forget that curling is one of the few team sports with professional aspirations where players are not protected by contracts. Cut a player, put them on waivers etc, there is always financial compensation for athletes in other pro team sports when these things happen.

Teams should have the right to make changes in an effort to improve the end result.

However, the individual athlete impacted by that move should also have rights. If an employer can terminate you but has to provide you with rightful compensation as mandated by provincial or federal labor laws, then why should a curling team-when pro sports even recognize this-be any different?

Last edited by jamcan on 04-11-19 at 09:53AM

04-11-19 10:37AM
nervous_times21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nervous_times21 Click here to Send nervous_times21 a Private Message Find more posts by nervous_times21 Add nervous_times21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

Why is the commentariat so upset about the way in which team changes take place, when the actual people involved aren't?

This wasn't a "I found out from Twitter I was traded" situation. Savill is upset at the situation, not the process (who told him first) that created the situation. In his Stone and Straw interview, Savill talked about being excited for making a four-year run with the team. That's not going to happen. I'd be upset, too.

Further, why do we romanticize the role of the skip as the all powerful member of a team? The skip need not be the leader of every team, and certainly not the "boss" of the team when it comes to off-ice decisions. It's like saying a good teacher makes a good principal, a good employee makes a good boss, etc. Just because you call a good game and can throw the pressure shots does not make you best suited to manage team affairs. Let's evolve the model a bit.

04-11-19 10:53AM
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Gee thanks for the advice but I'm well aware of what karma means.

And let me offer one in return: learn to read. I never suggested Saville walk off the ice nor urged him to do so. I actually posed a simple question for which the answer was pretty obvious: Saville won't because he has more class than Epping.

As for 'none of our business' remember that these teams/individuals have chosen to live in the public eye to reap fame and fortune. If you choose, like Epping, to publicly announce the firing of a player and then it comes to light you handled it badly, it will be discussed and judged by the very public you court with your team pages and various social media accounts. So if you don't want this kind of discussion and potential criticism then either ; a) don't blab about it, and b) do it properly.

You seem nice.😄

04-11-19 10:54AM
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nervous_times21
Why is the commentariat so upset about the way in which team changes take place, when the actual people involved aren't?

This wasn't a "I found out from Twitter I was traded" situation. Savill is upset at the situation, not the process (who told him first) that created the situation. In his Stone and Straw interview, Savill talked about being excited for making a four-year run with the team. That's not going to happen. I'd be upset, too.

Further, why do we romanticize the role of the skip as the all powerful member of a team? The skip need not be the leader of every team, and certainly not the "boss" of the team when it comes to off-ice decisions. It's like saying a good teacher makes a good principal, a good employee makes a good boss, etc. Just because you call a good game and can throw the pressure shots does not make you best suited to manage team affairs. Let's evolve the model a bit.

I agree.

04-11-19 02:07PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

You seem nice.😄

Oh silly me. I failed to recognize that you're one of those 'one set of rules for me, another for you ' folks who thinks it's okay to tell someone they're incorrect in their usage of the word karma but you can't be told the same thing that you don't know how to read a sentence.

04-11-19 05:37PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Deliverer,

Would you mind recounting how Jones went about replacing Overton Clapham, please? It was at least 9 years ago and I’m not aware of how that went down.

This incident, which occurred at the end of the 2009-10 curling season, made and still makes ALL other curling dismissals appear insignificant by comparison.

The three rags in Winnipeg covered it in detail including Cathy O's subsequent retribution at the PEI Scotties.

04-11-19 05:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Jones took the heat, kept her mouth shut, while Cathy went to the papers. But, I wonder if anyone thinks that maybe the other two players on the team (Jill and Dawn) had the biggest contribution to this? There is more then Jen on a team and she did what would make her other two teammates happy.

04-11-19 05:52PM
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don’t know the specifics of the Jones Overton Clapham team change so can’t comment.

There’s usually three sides to every story...yours, mine and the truth.

04-11-19 08:17PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Jacobs & Co., including Fry, crushed Epping 6 - 0 in four ends this morning.

Bet that has Fry rethinking his outlook for the 2019 -20 season!

04-12-19 08:27AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Jacobs & Co., including Fry, crushed Epping 6 - 0 in four ends this morning.

Bet that has Fry rethinking his outlook for the 2019 -20 season!

Or Fry thinking "Good thing this team has me next season, maybe I'll skip..."

04-12-19 10:02AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I saw this on the end of Eve Muirhead's column for "The Courier." There's been a change in British curling that now gives the organisation the power to actually form the teams, starting next season. So we may see some changes in familiar lineups coming from there.

04-12-19 04:24PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

jacobs loss epping gain

In the interview yesterday Fry sure seemed to be on the edge of emotional.
Remind me, did he get dumped from team Gushue for Gallant back in 2012? Then Fry went on to the Worlds in 2013 and Olympics in 2014. I have a visual after the '13 Briar of Gushue hanging his head sitting in the stands, after Fry and Team Jacobs won. Looking very dejected. Thinking what have I done?

04-12-19 09:49PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: CTRS Points

quote:
When the teams make changes, does anyone know the CC rules for points retained and or transferred? I "thought" if you have 3 of your 4 original players you keep all your points. Is this true or do lose 1/4 of your points and add the points for the incoming player? Does anyone have the factual answer as opposed to conjecture? I've searched CC website....zip.

Does ANYONE have the correct answer for this?

04-12-19 10:00PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: CTRS Points

quote:

Does ANYONE have the correct answer for this?

not sure the true answer is in here, but a quick google and I got this:

http://www.worldcurl.com/post.php?postid=1943

04-13-19 12:00AM
Chipaholic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chipaholic Find more posts by Chipaholic Add Chipaholic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chipaholic
Knee-Slider

This isn't easy to find.

http://www.worldcurl.com/rankings.p...k=calculations#

“Starting in 2019/20 players will each carry forward 20% of their previous YTD points along with a 20% team component that the team will maintain is (sic) they maintain 3 of 4 or 4 of 4 players from the previous season.”

Last edited by Chipaholic on 04-13-19 at 12:08AM

04-13-19 09:12AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Thanks for the find

04-13-19 09:17AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Or Fry thinking "Good thing this team has me next season, maybe I'll skip..."

Yeah, I'd like to see Fry take another crack at skipping too, but I'd take it a step further. Unload Camm and bring back Savill !

04-13-19 04:01PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Monica Walker, lead for Team Sinclair, has announced she’s retiring from the game at season’s end.

04-13-19 07:31PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Charlie Thomas is splitsville.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwCOWvNDst8/

04-13-19 07:38PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Will Adam Casey try province number 5?