Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling World Cup on hiatus

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-17-19 10:40AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

 

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3964

Curling World Cup on hiatus

Curling World Cup events will not return for 2019/20 #curling season due to breach of contract by funding partners.
http://www.worldcurling.org/2019-2020-curling-world-cup

__________________
CurlingZone
Everything...Curling!

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-17-19 12:13PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

 

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: vernon bc
Posts: 2261

LMFAO! Knew this was a joke to start with. A PROC company refuses to live up to its contractual obligations? 🤣 Who can be shocked by this? Their whole country does this constantly to businesses and countries. Only a moron would get involved with these guys.

As for the ridiculous press release from the WCF, what are those guys smoking? Well received by fans? What fans? The dozen or so in the stands? As for the players? Haha Haha! These days the slammers will say anything they're told to just to keep the cheques coming.

Here's hoping we don't see this flea circus start up again.

__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-17-19 12:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

Lol. I'm just not surprised. If it comes back I hope so.e changes are made. I've made my view on what those should be.

I'm not sorry to say I find this kind of amusing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-17-19 07:49PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Aug 2018
Location:
Posts: 205

I, for one, enjoyed the event and hope it comes back. It wasn't without its kinks but those could be ironed out. It was well received by the players; Koe in particular was fond of it.

It's good to have something a little different; look how similar the Slams/Stu Sells etc are with each other. I like a little bit different now and then.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-17-19 11:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

Lol, of course koe liked it. Would you expect the guy that won 2 legs to come out and trash it. He got good points and money out of it

Look, they were asking for trouble from the start when they teamed up with Chinese business to host it. If they want to get it back they can't again. In a way they got what they deserved. They didn't do their research

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-18-19 12:21AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Aug 2018
Location:
Posts: 205

I'm just saying it was well received by the players. And I appreciate seeing an event streamed/televised, not as much fun hitting refresh as it so watch the actual game (I realize of course that not every event has funding/facilities for streaming/filming to be practical). I'm a bit of a night owl so I found ways with tricky time differences.

"However, the Federation firmly believes in the concept and will work hard with stakeholders to identify new funding partners to return the Curling World Cup to the international curling calendar."

So it does sound like they are trying to bring it back, hopefully with a stable funding partner this time (surely there's ones to be found in Canada/US/Europe as well). With some tweaking it has more potential going forward.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-18-19 05:31AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

i agree its always better to watc curling than refresh on a screen.

and yes the curlers liked it. why not. its an exhibition. exhibitons are fun and you get paid

im not inherently against this one. its better than the continental cup at least. with some changes it could be something good.

but they got to advertise better. a lot of people had no idea when these legs were even going on so if its truly a grow the sport thing more needs to be done to promote it.

Last edited by misty1 on 06-18-19 at 05:48AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-18-19 09:06AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

 

Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2298

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I, for one, enjoyed the event and hope it comes back. It wasn't without its kinks but those could be ironed out. It was well received by the players; Koe in particular was fond of it.

It's good to have something a little different; look how similar the Slams/Stu Sells etc are with each other. I like a little bit different now and then.



Not sure how it was different, the same elite teams (Edin et al) played in it. Yes if you win great. If they'd created an event for those teams on the elite bubble - i.e. were not playing in the slams regularly, invited other countries who had good teams who needed a bit more experience. Of course a sponsor would not like it. Yes, Koe would like anything where he won.

Good riddance to this event, I'm not sure I want Olympic level curlers being worn out and injury prone with an extra event. WCF should be ashamed to make a contract with such a dubious sponsor.

__________________
Well Behaved Women Don't Make History.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-18-19 01:08PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

its different in the format and point system. but, yeah , the same teams were there. like i said its no wonder the top teams like it. its yet another way to get money and points and keep themselves where they are

i would really like to see a limit placed on number of times a team can compete. edin going all 4 times was just ridiculous. either this is truly a grow the sport opportunity or just another chance for top teams . as of now its the 2nd one.

and again get some of those mixed double specialists in. they dont have any opportunities for coverage now aside from worlds. this could be a great platform

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-20-19 11:39AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

 

Registered: Mar 2013
Location:
Posts: 1018

Agree

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
its different in the format and point system. but, yeah , the same teams were there. like i said its no wonder the top teams like it. its yet another way to get money and points and keep themselves where they are

i would really like to see a limit placed on number of times a team can compete. edin going all 4 times was just ridiculous. either this is truly a grow the sport opportunity or just another chance for top teams . as of now its the 2nd one.

and again get some of those mixed double specialists in. they dont have any opportunities for coverage now aside from worlds. this could be a great platform





I posted previously as well the same team should not be allowed to go to more than one leg, unless they win it and go to the final. Sweden sending the same to all 4 for both mens and womens was terrible. IF they go ahead with this event again I'd suggest each country must send a different team to each event. For countries that only have a few teams, if their 2nd and 3rd ranked teams are not in the top 50 ranked in the world, then the next ranked country with a team in the top 50 not already going to the event, gets to send their team. This will give more countries a sniff at these events.

Let's take Norway as an example. They're down to one team now with Ulsrud skipping the young guys now, but they have the juniors that beat them last year coming up. Ulsrud goes to the first leg. The juniors aren't in the top 50 yet so don't get the invite to leg 2. This gives Denmark or Netherlands or Italy etc a shot. But by leg 3 the Norway juniors crack the top 50, then now they've earned their way to leg 3.

Final thought, have countries and cities that host these events not out in the middle of nowhere. Pick places that at least have a stand alone curling club. And, if the new sponsors are paying for the event, for the non traditional curling countries, give the tickets away for free to bring people in to SEE the sport. The host would make more money on food and drinks off 1000 free tickets than from the price 50 that would pay.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-20-19 06:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

well..right now the russian federation has offered to help bring it back. that'd be a bad idea and asking for more trouble than teaming up with the chinese.

sorry but russian sport has so much controversy around it i wouldnt want them partnered with this in any way

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-22-19 01:17PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

 

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: vernon bc
Posts: 2261

Going from the most xenophobic country in the world who also ignores contractual obligations at will, to a country disguised as a democracy but ruled by gangsters and their puppet seems like a pretty stupid idea.

However, seeing as the entire concept and format of this 'World Cup' has been idiotic from it's conception (c'mon now, remember that in it's mission statement they wanted to help the 'beautiful' curlers to market themselves), getting into bed with the Russkies seems true to WCF form, doesn't it?

At the very least, teams should get a cut rate discount for steroids. Seeing as the Russians have that market cornered....

Please God, let this dumb tournament die.

__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-23-19 03:48PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Quesnel
Posts: 270

I agree that this was dumb. Never marketed properly or explained and did nothing to help Canadian curling except a few elite teams. Could never figure out how teams were selected even. Was it just keep going down list until someone could go?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-24-19 07:25AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

 

Registered: Oct 2012
Location:
Posts: 108

I will not miss the Curling World Cup. Not a fan of exhibition events that earn you points on the World Curling tour. If points are earned then it has to be an open event and not invitation only.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-24-19 03:14PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Harvey Hacksmasher

 

Registered: Mar 2019
Location:
Posts: 24

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I will not miss the Curling World Cup. Not a fan of exhibition events that earn you points on the World Curling tour. If points are earned then it has to be an open event and not invitation only.


I agree. It will not be missed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-24-19 10:11PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Aug 2018
Location:
Posts: 205

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I will not miss the Curling World Cup. Not a fan of exhibition events that earn you points on the World Curling tour. If points are earned then it has to be an open event and not invitation only.


A lot of sports have invitational only events, from golfing to horse racing/eventing. I see no problem with curling having them, there are many open events such as the numerous Stu Sells.

The event has featured the top boys and gals but also the lesser known such as Iwai and Team Kim and the Chinese team who played against Koe in the final.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-26-19 07:38PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

 

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: vernon bc
Posts: 2261

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards


A lot of sports have invitational only events, from golfing to horse racing/eventing. I see no problem with curling having them, there are many open events such as the numerous Stu Sells.

The event has featured the top boys and gals but also the lesser known such as Iwai and Team Kim and the Chinese team who played against Koe in the final.



First off, a World 'Cup' is an implied world championship. The FIFA event for football is such and makes sense given the sheer logistical nature of the sport.

Curling, and any other sport that has an annual world championship, does not need a World Cup.

Second, your using 'invitation' events is a poor example. Golf tournaments may do so, but they don't have small fields of participants. A more fair comparison with an invitation golf tournament would be a cashspiel comprising of 32-48 teams with half the field qualifying for the money. Horse racing? That's such a silly example it doesn't need any discussion.

Lastly, this is why I jumped off your Rockheads Facebook page. This was an unnecessary event, run by an essentially corrupt company in an equally corrupt country and when I said as such you erased my comment. In short, you acted the same as the PROC does by silencing their political critics for speaking truth.

I get that you like the feel good stories and want the best for the sport. But ignoring reality and not calling out wrongs is not the right way forward.

__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by jamcan on 06-26-19 at 07:44PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-27-19 01:38AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Aug 2018
Location:
Posts: 205

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan


First off, a World 'Cup' is an implied world championship. The FIFA event for football is such and makes sense given the sheer logistical nature of the sport.

Curling, and any other sport that has an annual world championship, does not need a World Cup.

Second, your using 'invitation' events is a poor example. Golf tournaments may do so, but they don't have small fields of participants. A more fair comparison with an invitation golf tournament would be a cashspiel comprising of 32-48 teams with half the field qualifying for the money. Horse racing? That's such a silly example it doesn't need any discussion.

Lastly, this is why I jumped off your Rockheads Facebook page. This was an unnecessary event, run by an essentially corrupt company in an equally corrupt country and when I said as such you erased my comment. In short, you acted the same as the PROC does by silencing their political critics for speaking truth.

I get that you like the feel good stories and want the best for the sport. But ignoring reality and not calling out wrongs is not the right way forward.



*YOU* chose to ignore the rule about not bashing the players, hence why I deleted the comment. That was your choice; it was my job to enforce the rule. To compare rule enforcing in a private entity such as a Facebook group to the PROC is rather ridiculous. (https://xkcd.com/1357/). There are both fans and family members of these curlers on this group; asking people to be respectful of one another and those in the game isn't really a hardship.

Secondly, yes, it is a place for positive curling stories, experiences etc. I created "Rockheads" as an alternative to the idiocy I have seen on social media from armchair coaches. Those that think our teams/curlers are somehow failures for getting the results they didn't want either in some events (such as the Olympics; talk about a corrupted organization). Said fools think said players are somehow 'failures', even though they are at the top of the ranking, unaware of the work that these athletes to put into their goals.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-27-19 08:28AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

 

Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Sask.
Posts: 251

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards


*YOU* chose to ignore the rule about not bashing the players, hence why I deleted the comment. That was your choice; it was my job to enforce the rule. To compare rule enforcing in a private entity such as a Facebook group to the PROC is rather ridiculous. (https://xkcd.com/1357/). There are both fans and family members of these curlers on this group; asking people to be respectful of one another and those in the game isn't really a hardship.

Secondly, yes, it is a place for positive curling stories, experiences etc. I created "Rockheads" as an alternative to the idiocy I have seen on social media from armchair coaches. Those that think our teams/curlers are somehow failures for getting the results they didn't want either in some events (such as the Olympics; talk about a corrupted organization). Said fools think said players are somehow 'failures', even though they are at the top of the ranking, unaware of the work that these athletes to put into their goals.



Don't let that poster get to you Meghan he's just not worth it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-27-19 08:50AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

 

Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Brandon
Posts: 848

I am with you Jamcan and Prairie guy - good and bad in every sport.

It was mentioned "events", I did not see "people" mentioned, of course I could have missed it, very rarely do I look at that page anymore. I can find the news elsewhere, where the truth can be said, good or bad.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-28-19 10:19AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

 

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3964

Many sports have a World Championship and a series of World Cup events. This is a common structure among Olympic sports especially.

Bobsleigh, Luge, Skiing (alpine, jumping and cross country), biathlon, snowboarding all have multiple World Cup series events along with a separate World Championship.

__________________
CurlingZone
Everything...Curling!

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-28-19 06:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

 

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5458

thats true Gerry but it's really not comparable at all. those world cup events are the regular events on tour equivalent to the regular cashspiels that take place on the world curling tour.

they dont have a separate world cup and then a world championship.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

All times are GMT. The time now is . Post New Thread   Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to thisThread

Forum Jump:
Rate This Thread:

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 

Recent News

Recent
World Curling Federation Considering Move to 8-ends

World Curling Federation Considering Move to 8-ends

(Photo: WCF / Peter Harsanyi) The length of curling games and the potential impact of shortening games - predominantly by reducing the number of ends from ten to eight - will be a vital topic of discussion at the upcoming World Curling Congress and Annual General Assembly in held September 4-6 in Cancun, Mexico.

Curling Blogs

Facebook Feed

Twitter Feed

To top ↑