Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-28-23 10:46PM
scottb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottb Find more posts by scottb Add scottb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottb
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fleury

I think Tracy Fleury has to go! This is not working for her! You can see she is not herself! Homan is calling most of the shots..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-23 12:17AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

They clapback at their critics online, proudly brandishing the #StayWeird hashtag, good on them. Homan is still the skip hence why they call themselves Team Homan (also for marketing). So their team isn't "traditional", so what? All new teams go through ups and downs, and they have proven they can win together.

03-01-23 01:07AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
So their team isn't "traditional", so what?

Speaking of non-traditional teams, by my last count, 8 teams in this year's Scotties aren't "traditional".

A "traditional" team would be Team Einarson.

Val Sweeting 3 Kerri Einarson 4 CA

Meaning Val Sweeting throws 3rd and holds the broom for Kerri Einarson who throws 4th and holds the broom for the rest of Team Canada.

The non-"traditional" teams at 2023 Scotties are:

Sarah Potts 1 Krista McCarville 4 NO
Alanna Routledge 2 Laurie St-Georges 4 QC
Geri-Lynn Ramsay 2 Kayla Skrlik 4 AB
Mackenzie Zacharias 2 Jennifer Jones 4 MB
Karlee Everist 2 Christina Black 4 NS
Jo-Ann Rizzo 4 Kerry Galusha 1 NT
Rachel Homan 4 Tracy Fleury 3 ON
Suzanne Birt 4 Marie Christianson 3 PE

I think it's cool to see teams figuring out whatever works team instead of being strictly bound by "tradition".

03-01-23 07:55PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Chemistry seems fine to me on and off ice. Success has been good this season despite the bad Scotties loss. Some awkwardness, sure, but it's a big transition and likely a work in progress.

What I do think is undeniable is Fleury's shooting is worse. But it makes sense as she's had to reconfigure her release. It's led to an uneven season. But I fully expect that to improve as she gets more comfortable.

Ultimately these are smart, successful athletes. They're capable of working through issues.

03-02-23 10:27PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My prediction is that Team Homan would get a new coach before a new player, which I don't even see happening before 2026 unless there's a major life-changing event.

03-15-23 09:16AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
My prediction is that Team Homan would get a new coach before a new player, which I don't even see happening before 2026 unless there's a major life-changing event.

This might come true with Fry retiring!

03-15-23 12:24PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Homan and fleury have had a good season together overall. The scotties was just a let down. I would be surprised if they broke up

03-15-23 11:10PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Some interesting comments above.

I, personally, feel that their chemistry is not good at all. Every player seems out of her natural element and not comfortable.

Homan is the type of personality that wants things done her way. Having someone other than her calling the game is not comfortable or natural for her, and that can be seen in her demeanour.

Fleury senses that Homan isn't comfortable, and that puts added pressure on her, and makes her uncomfortable, as well. She is very obviously skipping someone else's team - it's clearly not Fleury's team, it's Homan's team.
She is also throwing Third rocks, when she is a natural 4th rock thrower.

Miskew is Homan's natural 'go to' person - and has been for the past, what, 20 years or more? The dynamic between Miskew and Homan was obviously disturbed with Miskew moving to Second, and Fleury calling the shots instead of Homan.

Wilkes is a more natural back end player who seems to have adapted well to playing the front end. She is the one who is least impacted by the changes that Fleury's arrival brought.

Overall, you have all 4 players on the team playing out of their natural position (Homan is not calling the game, Fleury is not throwing 4th rocks, Miskew is a natural Third, and Wilkes is a natural Third, as well).

Please don't compare this to Einarson's team of 4 Skips, as that's apples and oranges - the Einarson 4 came from 4 different places to unite on one team, and knew the role they were accepting, whereas Fleury came in to an already established Homan team, and completely shook up the dynamic and all the players' positions - that's very different than the 4 Einarson players coming from 4 different places.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-16-23 11:09AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I just think that they need to look to long-term success.

Sometimes these relationships need to develop over time. (remember when Mark Nichols left Gushue for a time. They came to a realization that they worked together very well, and the rest is history)

Give it another year, or even two with Fleury. This combo has the potential for dynasty.

03-17-23 07:11AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

A collection of great players doesn't always work. A team must function as a team in order to have success. And to function as a successful team, everyone must be comfortable in and accept their roles (without resentment, obviously), and learn to excel in their roles.
I didn't see that happening with this team this year - and I saw no signs that it will change in the future.

I don't see the potential for a dynasty... I think that at least 3 of the players are unhappy and resentful because they are in unnatural roles, and I see only the potential for that unhappiness and resentment to grow.

As with everything else, though, time will tell...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-17-23 02:13PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Some interesting comments above.

I, personally, feel that their chemistry is not good at all. Every player seems out of her natural element and not comfortable.

Homan is the type of personality that wants things done her way. Having someone other than her calling the game is not comfortable or natural for her, and that can be seen in her demeanour.

Fleury senses that Homan isn't comfortable, and that puts added pressure on her, and makes her uncomfortable, as well. She is very obviously skipping someone else's team - it's clearly not Fleury's team, it's Homan's team.
She is also throwing Third rocks, when she is a natural 4th rock thrower.

Miskew is Homan's natural 'go to' person - and has been for the past, what, 20 years or more? The dynamic between Miskew and Homan was obviously disturbed with Miskew moving to Second, and Fleury calling the shots instead of Homan.

Wilkes is a more natural back end player who seems to have adapted well to playing the front end. She is the one who is least impacted by the changes that Fleury's arrival brought.

Overall, you have all 4 players on the team playing out of their natural position (Homan is not calling the game, Fleury is not throwing 4th rocks, Miskew is a natural Third, and Wilkes is a natural Third, as well).

Please don't compare this to Einarson's team of 4 Skips, as that's apples and oranges - the Einarson 4 came from 4 different places to unite on one team, and knew the role they were accepting, whereas Fleury came in to an already established Homan team, and completely shook up the dynamic and all the players' positions - that's very different than the 4 Einarson players coming from 4 different places.

Agree with most of that. I've seen tham play a bunch this year and they are definitely not meshing well. Their skill level is such that they are still having success but in the big games you need cohesion. They were tense every game in the Scotties.
When you have someone "calling" the game and throwing third there needs to be a reason. In this case I don't see one. Ferbey was in charge, Nedohin was the better shooter. Paetz is 10x the shooter Tirinzoni is but obviously doesn't want to call the game. Homan is a better all around shooter than Fleury IMO and she is still calling the game from 3rd position so she should be holding the broom.

03-17-23 02:22PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Homan is a better all around shooter than Fleury IMO and she is still calling the game from 3rd position so she should be holding the broom.

That statement is absolutely incoherent.

Homan is not 3rd. Homan is 4th. Homan throws the last 2 stones for the team, therefore Homan is 4th by definition, not 3rd.

03-17-23 02:54PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

That statement is absolutely incoherent.

Homan is not 3rd. Homan is 4th. Homan throws the last 2 stones for the team, therefore Homan is 4th by definition, not 3rd.

Incoherent means not able to be understood. Everyone including a pedant like you understands what I said.

03-20-23 10:50PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Just wondering if anyone can clarify how Tracy can play in the Ontario Scotties and the Northern Ontario mixed doubles. Can you be part of two different provincial organizations if it’s in different disciplines?

04-07-24 10:54PM
Alice12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice12 Find more posts by Alice12 Add Alice12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice12
Knee-Slider

good season

Anyway, they had a very good Friday Night Funkin season