Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-21 12:40PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

dont underestimate mouat, decruz or shuster at worlds. the 3 of them will have a say in who medals and could take out edin and or bottcher. id say those 5 are about equal

As hap-hap-happy as I would be to see Shuster make a run, he generally likes to get as many rocks in play as possible - and when your style is to try and get all sixteen rocks in play every end - I'm not sure that style lends itself to a year-and-a-half break from playing on championship ice.

But I love the messes out there, and Shuster's' "When in doubt, put another one in the rings" strategy is a ton of fun to watch. It's easy to see how an over-deliberative Koe (who was crunched for time with a rock-remover like Bottcher) would have issues with Shuster.

Shuster is good enough to beat him, I mean, on any day he can be good enough to beat anyone - but Bottcher is a much worse matchup for John than Koe.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-15-21 01:11PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Read an article on the rock sanding deal and Howard said when he talked to the CC official that the person did not say a word. Unreal.
Same article has CC saying it was a "breakdown in communication" like it was someone who forgot to tell the teams . LOL. What it was is total organizational incompetence. How hard is it to let everyone know the rocks have been altered? And the ice crew isn't blameless either. They are out there at all times and should tell every team before practice that the rocks are different, let us know if there are problems.
It's interesting to note that the CC said the decision to sand was made after the Friday draw when "some teams complained about the lack of curl in the late ends". It raises the question: are they catering to a few teams that prefer more curl? Did they ask all the teams or just their buddies? The CC should have rules in place regarding if and when rocks get touched and how teams will be notified. Seems simple but CC don't do simple.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-15-21 at 01:15PM

03-15-21 01:23PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Rocks should never be altered mid to late tourney. Teams are matching rocks all week, and then some no brain changes them before the most important games????? Matching rocks is part of the game, lots of time put into it. If there is a problem with rocks, it would be noticed early in the tourney, that’s the time to sand if needed. If an elite curler says they’re not curling enough on Friday, maybe they should take less ice.

03-15-21 01:40PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Rocks should never be altered mid to late tourney. Teams are matching rocks all week, and then some no brain changes them before the most important games????? Matching rocks is part of the game, lots of time put into it. If there is a problem with rocks, it would be noticed early in the tourney, that’s the time to sand if needed. If an elite curler says they’re not curling enough on Friday, maybe they should take less ice.

Exactly. Adapting to changes is part of what makes elite players elite. Do the rocks before the tourney starts and tell the teams that's the rocks for the week, deal with em. So simple.

03-15-21 02:38PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

If these rocks are that hard to manage, bring in another full set.

03-15-21 03:45PM
RMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RMc Click here to Send RMc a Private Message Find more posts by RMc Add RMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RMc
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
If these rocks are that hard to manage, bring in another full set.

A full new set of Curlers you mean? I agree!

03-15-21 06:12PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by toeslider
So what are the stats re: father/son Brier winners? eg: Kevin/Karrick

Bill and Ian
Chris and B.J.

03-15-21 07:49PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Well, that rock paper gate was really something. And ol' Glennie sure had lots to say about it. But something that nobody is saying, unless it's way up in the thread, is that it is the coach's job to get this info and Glennie was the coach. Is this a "it's not my fault" kind of reaction? And before the rest of the scenario spills over the pot, I do agree that a.) the officials should have a policy and b.) they don't need to fix rocks late in an event and c.) they should've informed everyone and d.) team should've caught on sooner. But some teams knew, some didn't - coaches that knew were probably doing their jobs.

03-15-21 08:01PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Well, that rock paper gate was really something. And ol' Glennie sure had lots to say about it. But something that nobody is saying, unless it's way up in the thread, is that it is the coach's job to get this info and Glennie was the coach. Is this a "it's not my fault" kind of reaction? And before the rest of the scenario spills over the pot, I do agree that a.) the officials should have a policy and b.) they don't need to fix rocks late in an event and c.) they should've informed everyone and d.) team should've caught on sooner. But some teams knew, some didn't - coaches that knew were probably doing their jobs.

Agree on all points. One of the jobs of the coach is to go talk to the icemakers before every draw and just ask if anything's changed, the pebble size, the ice temp, the rock running surface etc. Koe says his team talks to the icemakers before every draw, Glen has been around long enough to know he should too.

03-15-21 11:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

ICE AND ROCK GATE

This is ALL ON CURLING CANADA.

It should not be up to players, coaches, media, 5th players, curious spectators off the street, to chase down ice makers, ice techs, Curling Canada execs that approve any and all changes to ice and rocks. IF there's any changes, make an announcement for all, not just the select few who complained.
If the ice crew can't match the ice conditions to the rocks, come clean, instead of everyone saying what a great job they're doing. Sometimes it's out of their control. Step up and say it. Don't hide behind CC and TSN making the announcers say anything but. There's way too much audible evidence of hearing many players muttering this ice sucks or these rocks are F'n terrible. They can't publicly complain without being fined. The CC muzzle.

Apologize, admit the problem, fix it.

03-15-21 11:22PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

The whole rock “controversy” is so painfully simple. Curling Canada needs to print a sheet of paper “hi, we papered the rocks” and post it in the locker room and we never hear of this again. I’d suggest a good coach is talking to the ice makers before each draw (what is their purpose otherwise), but Curling Canada can also take 5 minutes to let the teams know.

Glenn’s made a mountain out of a molehill. They had, I suppose, a modest disadvantage by starting practice without knowing. At worst it cost them last rock. They were aware of the rocks prior to stone 1 of the game. They got blown out. Glenn goes on a 5 day media tour.

03-16-21 06:35AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

this whole rock issue is simply a case of total incompetance on curling canada's part. players should have been told. this isnt something that anyone should have needed to be asked about. the fact that they werent is a joke

03-16-21 09:41AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Even Jill Officer with her Sun podcasts w/ Ted Wyman is covering up for the gross incompetence of Curl Canada.

Are Winfield Warren & Resby Coutts still calling the shots?

at times like this you rarely if ever will see governing bodies publicly criticized by players or commentators. usually they try and reason it out . Glenn i think is one of the few who wont do that and will be openly critical. i appreciate that

03-16-21 12:09PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Ratings down 33% from last year's Brier. Scotties down 30%. Those are huge numbers, TSN must be concerned.

03-16-21 01:30PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Here's a thought.

If Old Glennie & Wayner decide they're a bit too old to form a winning back-end in Ontario, perhaps 1 or the other flips over to play 3rd for John Epping and form an Ontario super-team?

Best bet would be Epping taking over skip duties, Glen or Wayne at 3rd with Glen's current front end.

Do Wayne and/or Glenn have it in them to sweep four rocks every end? I'd imagine Glenn has to be pretty happy with his current setup with the two brutes up front and his kid third. He's in to win certainly, but I'd think he has other priorities now.

As for Wayne - I don't know - I didn't think he was itching to get back, but he had a once in a lifetime chance. Does he want to grind again?

Beats me. Maybe they each see one last chance to go for Olympic Gold.

03-16-21 02:38PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

That makes sense. Although that's no shot on Epping. That Brier field was loaded with monsters and Middaugh out-strategized them after not playing an important match for over half a decade.

I would do anything I could to get that kind of brain-transplant, like Gushue did when he imported Russ Howard's brain.

03-16-21 02:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Ratings down 33% from last year's Brier. Scotties down 30%. Those are huge numbers, TSN must be concerned.

I would be for sure. The real shocker is that the numbers are worse for the brier than the scotties

Not only them but curling Canada.

There was no shortage 9f advertising. Does that say people knew and didn't care or that people have simply lost interest.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-16-21 at 02:59PM

03-16-21 06:27PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Ok. The figures shown are for the final, not the whole event. There are a few reasons - two Alberta teams, nothing from anywhere east of that (epecially no Gushue). Many people cancelled TSN when Covid hit. 8:30 start time not appealing to many older viewers. No playdowns or other events televised before Scotties. No atmosphere with no crowd (it was like playing a late night game at the club where everyone else has left).
I realize these don't explain the whole drop. There were some positives - streaming up 63% . Two million video starts, more than triple last year. Seven million page views of Brier content, up 50% from last year.
Given everything going on this year, who could predict what would happen to viewership?

03-17-21 01:11PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky

8:30 start time not appealing to many older viewers.

That start time is a real head scratcher, wonder who thought that starting a final at 830Eastern on a Sunday night was a good idea. Does CC set the times or does TSN? Let's see if they change it for the world championships.

03-17-21 02:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I tried checking in on the grammys myself a couple times. I've basically checked out of today's music...and I'm only 32 but when I see people with names like bad bunny, clown baby and dua lipa barely wearing clothes performing it foes remind me why I checked out

03-17-21 10:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

TSN Viewership

Could it be that in years past TSN showed the round robin, playoffs, and finals on multiple TSN channels at the SAME time. They have at least 5 channels. This year I noticed most draws were only on one or two channels at the same time. Unless you have a cable package that includes ALL the TSN channels, you can't watch most games. You have to add the all sports package for an extra 30-50 month depending on your provider. Maybe the viewers are "wiped" watching the Scotties and "tired" of watching the BKT Brier.

03-18-21 12:53AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

As I understand, viewership from the livestream has increased and that could take viewer numbers on TV down. In general I think television viewership has gone down across the board for all television.

03-18-21 11:26AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

It just hit me the massive advantage bottcher has going into worlds. He will have played 2 events on this ice leading up to it. Thats 2 events to learn rocks and get used to ice the eorlds will be on. Every other team is coming in and will only have tje chance to learn this crappy ice as the event goes. The women at least will play the slams first but the men won't. It wouldn't surprise me if bottche4 steamroller through his firstv5 or 6 games while everyone else figures it out. I'm not saying they can't win anyway but it just hit me today the advantage there. I didn't really put thought into it but as the worlds are coming fast it did