Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

World Curling Report

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team World Concept

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-17-19 11:09AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Team World Concept

The question:

Should the world mens & womens curling championships welcome a Team World - ie. The defending world champion?

I would argue YES.

Not just because of Jennifer Jones. She is the defending world champion - and yes, she was obliterated at the canadian championships (failed to make playoff round) but the concept is more than JJ

Its the ability to showcase a high profile team and give them a final chance to show their wares before gracefully bowing out to the next generation.

Without increasing the field its a hard go. The asian teams are getting stronger and stronger with each coming year. Home team Denmark might be the worst team at this event - but they're fairly strong, certainly not fawns.

And if the crazies tell me that this would just be a method of getting two canadian teams to the event - thats not the case.

I think there's a very good chance the event would have a non-canadian Team World more or equally often.

Its more about having another hi-profile team with curling efficiency on the draws to pick up sponsorships & global fan interest. If its a second Canadian team (ie. this year Jennifer Jones) then canadian fan interest spikes on TSN when Jones is playing. Whats so wrong with that? And if it isn't Jones - it could be Rachel Homan, Tracy Fleury, Casey Scheidegger or Kris McCarville.

If a team other than Canada is Team World - its may not have much fan gravitas in their home country but it would sure help their specific curling program or federation.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-17-19 11:20AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know how they say some ideas are best left unsaid?. this is one of them. this is just plain stupid. in no way would this make sense.

03-17-19 04:48PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

You can argue for it all you want. It's a stupid idea and just another way for you to bring Jones into another thread.

Ridiculous idea that only fools would go for.

03-17-19 04:54PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Even dumber than Team Canada. I firmly believe you should have to earn your way back.

03-17-19 07:17PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

He says he would argue YES... but his argument has no validity.

The suggestion is just another lame excuse to extend the lives of some of the dinosaurs in this sport.

Goobdegook, at best.

03-17-19 08:43PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
He says he would argue YES... but his argument has no validity.

The suggestion is just another lame excuse to extend the lives of some of the dinosaurs in this sport.

Goobdegook, at best.

Its actually gobbleygook but who's spell-checkin'???

Anyways, to be brought back as Team World the dinosaur would have had to win the world curling championship (mens or womens) the prior year.

This year's Team World (theoretically) would be Niklas Edin of Sweden in mens, Jennifer Jones of Canada in womens play.

HARDLY DINOSAURS!

Edin for sure - his appearance goes without saying Team World concept or not - putting a 2nd Swedish team at the worlds.

Jones may not be the curling monster she once was - her decline level is pretty apparent but she still curls up a storm, her games are far more interesting than just about anyone - and her team is classy & well-prepared at all times. Even a slightly hobbled Jones, missing the stick by a foot and draws by 10' would add to the paltry crowds I've seen thus far in that little rink in Denmark.

All told - the men and women have come a long way in the last 15 to 20 years. Very few walkovers anymore. But always 2 or 3 teams that could use more seasoning - and only 1 would be displaced by a Team World.

03-17-19 09:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

ML

Sometimes I read your posts and I'm amazed at the spew that comes out. Here's where your suggestion is just plain stupid. If Jones comes back as team world, why play the Scotties? Do you think for one second wcf will allow 2 teams from the same country? Why in any god's name would any sporting authority allow that? Do you actually think the other curling countries with voting rights would allow this, knowing it could mean 1 less team at the worlds which could be their country? I guess your next suggestion is 2 pools of 8 with play downs then playoffs then the finals? Come on man, You got your responses to boost the hits, now stop it. Dumb as dumb can be. Seriously. Stop it.

03-17-19 10:03PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: ML

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Sometimes I read your posts and I'm amazed at the spew that comes out. Here's where your suggestion is just plain stupid. If Jones comes back as team world, why play the Scotties? Do you think for one second wcf will allow 2 teams from the same country? Why in any god's name would any sporting authority allow that? Do you actually think the other curling countries with voting rights would allow this, knowing it could mean 1 less team at the worlds which could be their country? I guess your next suggestion is 2 pools of 8 with play downs then playoffs then the finals? Come on man, You got your responses to boost the hits, now stop it. Dumb as dumb can be. Seriously. Stop it.

I'm not the authority - just a suggestion!
btw IO2 - check out the following sports - mens & ladies figure skating, gymnastics, track 'n field, speed-skating, downhill skiing, slalom skiing, some countries have far more than 2 competitors.

03-17-19 10:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

All of those sports are individual sports, not teams. Individual skiers or skaters, even pairs or dance, but those sports have 50 even a hundred competitors, not 13 teams. NOT ONE of the sports you mentioned have TWO SEPARATE teams for their sports from their country. More than one competitor, but ONLY ONE TEAM. Gymnastics have a 5 member team, not 2, 5 member teams. Same with the skiing, they may have 3 down hillers but only ONE TEAM. And there's 100 competitors. Just give it up. Step back and say, I was wrong on that one. Or as I would say, I was mistaken!

03-17-19 10:59PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

A typo on my part......

The correct spelling is either GOBBLEDEGOOK or GOBBLEDYGOOK.

But never GOBBLEYGOOK as you suggest.

03-17-19 11:09PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
All of those sports are individual sports, not teams. Individual skiers or skaters, even pairs or dance, but those sports have 50 even a hundred competitors, not 13 teams. NOT ONE of the sports you mentioned have TWO SEPARATE teams for their sports from their country. More than one competitor, but ONLY ONE TEAM. Gymnastics have a 5 member team, not 2, 5 member teams. Same with the skiing, they may have 3 down hillers but only ONE TEAM. And there's 100 competitors. Just give it up. Step back and say, I was wrong on that one. Or as I would say, I was mistaken!

Others,

4 man bobsled
8 man skulls w/ a whistle-captain, too
Speed skating chase (teams of 4)
Gymnastics (team competition is one of the first medal events)
Auto-racing (individual drivers but team setups)
Sailing (America's Cup)
Sprint relays (4-men, various distances)

03-17-19 11:50PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

****** man are you just that thick?

The only one where there is more than one team is bobsled. Give it up.

8 man skulls, ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Speed skating ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Gymnastics ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Auto racing, not applicable, it's a car not an athlete
Sailing , again boats not athletes, and finally relays, ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY

I give up, it was explained to me many years ago it is fruitless to argue with stupidity.

03-18-19 07:20AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
****** man are you just that thick?

The only one where there is more than one team is bobsled. Give it up.

8 man skulls, ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Speed skating ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Gymnastics ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY ONLY
Auto racing, not applicable, it's a car not an athlete
Sailing , again boats not athletes, and finally relays, ONE TEAM PER COUNTRY

I give up, it was explained to me many years ago it is fruitless to argue with stupidity.

Yup. You tried. You really did try.

03-18-19 11:16AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
you know how they say some ideas are best left unsaid?. this is one of them. this is just plain stupid. in no way would this make sense.

ML would do well to follow Abe Lincoln's advice: Better To Remain Silent And Be Thought A Fool Than To Speak And Remove All Doubt!

03-18-19 11:57AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

ML Drinking Game!

Just for fun I did a little study on ML's posts on the Women's World thread.

Did you know that the event has been on for only two days and ML has made 8 posts

Of those 8 he has mentioned Jones 4 times, Homan 3 and taken 4 passive/aggressive swipes at Carey (not her team, just Carey). Only twice has he made a post that doesn't mention Jones or Homan.

In light of this fascinating (and not at all surprising) data, I have created the...

MANITOBA LEGEND DRINKING GAME!!!

Get together with some curling pals and bevies, open up CZ, pick any forum thread and open it up. Scroll to the first ML post (trust me, you won't have to go far) read it aloud and everyone takes a drink if:

a) the post mentions Jones or Homan and any of their past or present teammates

b) the post takes a veiled, P/A swipe at any other team, Male or Female

DOUBLE SHOT RULES!
Take 2 drinks if:

a) the thread was started by ML

b) his post takes the thread completely off topic

c) he ruminates about the old days in Manitoba (this might also match up with 'b' so that's 4 shots)

d) refers to any team as 'fawns' or 'monsters'

TRIPLE SHOT RULE!

take 3 drinks if ML manages to put any or all of the above double shot rules into a single post!

Enjoy the game and the next morning hangover

PS-as a suggestion to make the game last longer than a single discussion thread, I suggest the option of taking a sip as opposed to downing an entire shot. Although be warned: it makes the game last longer, but it also drags out the agony of reading more of ML's posts.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-18-19 at 12:48PM