Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-14-20 01:37PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Now this is getting a bit more controversial again.

Is there a difference between a hole and a port? Are they interchangeable, or is one typically bigger than the other?

What if the two rocks that form the structure isn't at the same height? One is high on the sheet, one is low, but together they "choke off" (partially, not completely) the draw path all the same.

Obviously this structure can look very different from one ice to the next, depending on how swingy it is, how much the rocks are curling, etc. And you can imagine that when rocks are scattered all over the place, you can probably pick pairs that have the same effect of restricting a draw path in both the high and low side.

So does that fit into the definition of a hole/port, or is there a special name for that structure?

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-14-20 at 03:00PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-14-20 04:54PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Oh and I guess a hole can also be something that you DON'T want to go through, when it's a big enough crotch between two rocks and you're attempting a double takeout. If there is a hole, then your shooter might flash through between the rocks.

Commentators usually have fun with these, joking that mentioning the existence of such a hole will jinx the double takeout attempt.

04-14-20 06:24PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I'm convinced Manitoba legend and curling lips are the same person.

04-14-20 06:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm rewatching the 2017 Brier final, and I caught a use of "chase" with regards to rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOx4h1ToGs&t=1h46m24s

At 1h46m24s, Koe is discussing putting up a center guard to allow Gushue to sit 3 with hammer.

Kennedy: "What if I'm really precise and I do this?" (bury one in 8 ft behind a high center-ish guard)
Hebert: "He can chase it, Marcus!"
Laing: "He'll chase that all day, yeah!"
Koe: "What don't you guys like about this (center guard), other than he'll sit 3?"

So this fits with the theory so far: you only chase your opponent's very last rock thrown, which is at least partially buried, and the goal is to try to take it out, or outcount it with a corner freeze. In this case they're probably worried about the takeout, since the guard is so high, so even a fully buried rock may not be safe.

I'll update when I find a usage of "chase" when talking about corner freeze, because now I'm not so sure if this is also a possible shot.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-14-20 at 07:51PM

04-14-20 09:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I'm convinced Manitoba legend and curling lips are the same person.

Good call!!!

04-14-20 10:41PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I managed to dig this up from 2013 Scotties final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLATRp3CxI&t=34m20s

At 34m20s, Linda Moore talked about what Homan learned from her lost against Jones in the round robin, where they gave up a 4-ender.

"They gave up one bad end in that game, one HUGE end, and Rachel realized that you DON'T chase Jennifer Jones around corner guard, you DO keep it open..."

I briefly looked up the game in question, and I don't think I heard anyone talking about chasing rocks, and the shots that Rachel called were takeouts, not corner freezes.

I've heard this rule of thumb from other commentators before, that you shouldn't play a certain way with a corner guard if you don't have hammer, and if I remember correctly, at least some of those involved corner freezes (though I've yet to come up with video evidence for this).

So maybe there are 3 contexts in which "chase" is used.

- [GAME] Scoreboard chasing where you need to generate some points to have a chance to win because you got jumped by a front-runner.

- [END] Chasing around corner guard, which is a very risky style of play for an end when you don't have hammer. Actual shots may be takeouts, may be corner freezes, but either way you're not peeling the corner guard and you're not controlling the 4-foot.

- [SHOT] Chasing the opposition's last thrown rock, which is a takeout.

Does this even sound remotely correct?

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-14-20 at 10:59PM

04-15-20 03:44AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Wow...
Obsessive overanalysis is an understatement here.

This is really a court case, right?

Curlingclips - if you're not a lawyer, you've missed your calling.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-15-20 09:55AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Can you guys please stop it with the personal attacks? I didn't attack anyone, why are you attacking me? If you don't care to have deeper understanding of the game at this level then stay out of the thread.

I for one would like to understand what Hebert meant when he said "He can chase it, Marcus!", and what Moore meant when she said "you DON'T chase Jennifer Jones around corner guard", etc.

Every Winter Olympics they publish viewers guide that includes explanation of why they're yelling and what it means. I'm just trying to do the same, and hopefully share it by improving the Wikipedia article, at least for neutral and less subjective terms.

04-15-20 10:13AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

By the way, speaking of trying to understand what the teams are yelling, it would be nice if we can have line calling quick reference for some of the elite non-English teams.

Obviously we can't do this for every possible language and every possible line calls and their variations, but the big ones like the Swiss Germans "TIAAA!/Zieh!!" example is good enough.

Some of these sound close enough to English, e.g "håll linje" ("hold line" in Swedish), but there are some doozies that I have no idea what they meant.

04-15-20 10:22AM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

You can probably use ‘chase it’ to mean ‘go after it’ in any curling situation. It wouldn’t be wrong to say ‘if we draw top 4 with our first rock do we think they’ll chase it (hit it) or throw the corner guard?’ I don’t know any curling term authorities so as a general rule, if it sounds like a phrase could apply to a particular situation, it probably does. Most curlers aren't going to argue with you, they’re usually pretty easy going.

Last edited by DrB on 04-15-20 at 10:25AM

04-15-20 11:22AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

These are probably terms that are interchangeable, but just in case they aren't, I'm going to ask:

Is there a difference between "lying 3" and "sitting 3"?

Is there a difference between "peel" and "rip"?

04-15-20 12:06PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

No.

04-15-20 12:42PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Okay. I was thinking maybe you "peel layers off" and you "rip things open", so they're both the same when you only have one guard, but if you have double center guards, then you can peel just the top one, or rip it open and get rid of both in one shot with a double peel.

But no, I have no proof of this, so you're probably right that rip and peel are interchangeable.

04-16-20 12:13AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Can you guys please stop it with the personal attacks? I didn't attack anyone, why are you attacking me? If you don't care to have deeper understanding of the game at this level then stay out of the thread.

Sorry, bud, but this is a public message board - so if you post messages on it, they are open to be commented on without you dictating what the comments must be.
That said, I've seen no 'personal attacks'. Of course, I'm not one for 'political correctness', either, as P.C. has done far more harm than good to society. What we've posted are simply comments which reflect our perspective on the content of this thread.

I see that some people have commented on your collection of posts because the number of posts you post, the level of incredibly minute detail you reach for, and the degree of repetition, are extremely uncommon on this forum. I, personally, have never seen anything like it here, or on any message board. Your level of extreme 'nit-picking' and daily delving into further and further minute detail reminds me of a desperate lawyer trying a court case.
I'm not telling you that you must stop posting this stuff - you have every right in the world to post it - just as we have a right to comment on your posts... I'm simply commenting on the nature of your posts. I find it extremely obsessive. Some others have said the same. It might be something for you to consider contemplating - but that's obviously up to you.

As for 'having a deeper understanding' of the game'... I believe it's very safe to say that the huge majority of posters here possess a very deep understanding of the game - and have acquired this understanding and knowledge without being obsessive about minute details to the degree you're being.
I, personally, cannot see how you can possibly enjoy the beauty of curling when you watch - because it certainly seems that you are entirely focussed only on things like very precise and specific definitions of terms. It's similar to when one is concentrating on photographing an event (be it a sporting event, a wedding, a concert, etc.) - when one is focussing so much on taking good photos of the event, one misses out on simply enjoying the event.

I hope that you can, at least eventually, simply relax and enjoy and appreciate curling for the skillful, strategic, beautiful game that it is without over-analyzing every minute detail.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-16-20 01:57AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

You can help me enjoy the game more by pointing me in the direction of a game/end that utilizes the Christmas Tree structure to great effect.

I've read the written description, but I've never seen a picture diagram. I can try to picture what a Christmas Tree looks like in my mind, but for the life of me I can't remember ever seeing anything like it in any of the games I've seen.

If anything, I usually see an upside down Christmas Tree, as seen from the skip's perspective (e.g. Jones vs Homan, 2013 Scotties, 1v2, 2nd end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxYtaf0JBg ).

PS: I've never watched any Colleen Jones game, and I think she made this phrase famous on TV, so presumably she plays this style a lot.

PS: My memory came back and I recalled this double canopy half Christmas Tree that Fujisawa & Sidorova built, but it was not by design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVhUMWYb-0

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-16-20 at 02:27AM

04-16-20 08:14AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Christmas trees are not usually set up on purpose. They often come from a team goofing up a draw call or hitting and getting an unfavourable roll. Team Goo seems to use these term a lot.
H
H
H
Where H is a rock would be a example. Usually in front of the house.

04-16-20 01:34PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

unfortunately CZ destroyed the layout of my H's

04-16-20 01:49PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

What the Xmas tree does, is to prevent the opportune roll, while at the same time making a hit quite difficult. It also makes double/triple angles disadvantageous. The rocks are visible, so "teasers" but don't leave opportunity for great outcome. It is a good situation for the team whose rocks created the formation.
***H
**H
*H
Freezes also leave little room for error. It takes oppositions misses (or half shots) to get this formation.

04-16-20 01:51PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

It's not CZ's fault, that's how it goes on most internet forums. You need to use what is commonly called "fixed-width formatting" if you're trying to draw with text (which is probably not a good idea to begin with if you can avoid it).

CZ uses BBCode, as far as I can tell, so you use [*CODE] (insert text here) [/CODE].

Note that I had to insert an extra * there because I wanted to show you how it's done, without actually doing it. When you want to actually do it, you just remove the *.

Your H's with fixed-width formatting looks like this:
code:
H H H

04-16-20 02:23PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

OK, I'm getting more confused now, because Wikipedia says Christmas Tree is an arrangement inside the house, but some of you say it's in front of the house. nelski's H's is also upside down compared to decade's, so are we drawing it from the skip's perspective or the thrower's out of the hack?

In any case, I looked around on the internet and found this instructional material.

http://www.uticacurlingclub.org/tik...php?fileId=1458

So their diagram and explanation helped a lot, and now I can remember lots of Christmas Tree-like structures, if we allow the rocks to be spaced out instead of in a tight formation. I have heard lots of discussion about why you'd only want to be slightly buried, not fully. In fact, that's what Earle Morris says in the Homan vs Jones video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxYtaf0JBg ): bury just a bit, let Jones try to hit it, she might roll out (or jam).

Had Homan buried it full, Jones would be forced to play the riskier slash double. This would've been very rewarding for Jones, which is why Team Homan got scared and called the time out to begin with.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-16-20 at 02:33PM

04-16-20 02:40PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Welp, had I actually followed the references on Wikipedia, I would've answered my own question straight from Colleen Jones:

https://twitter.com/cbccolleenjones...863275183276035

quote:

Q: Settle an important argument for me: What, exactly, qualifies as a 'Christmas Tree' setup in #curling?

A: centre guard, draw round it to top 4,show 1/2 of that rock, then draw round guard top 12, show 1/4 - they line up like edge of [Christmas Tree]

So it is in the house (not guards), and quite deliberate (not by accident).

04-16-20 04:44PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
What the Xmas tree does, is to prevent the opportune roll, while at the same time making a hit quite difficult. It also makes double/triple angles disadvantageous. The rocks are visible, so "teasers" but don't leave opportunity for great outcome. It is a good situation for the team whose rocks created the formation.
***H
**H
*H
Freezes also leave little room for error. It takes oppositions misses (or half shots) to get this formation.

My lesson on formatting from 2 people today. Got it. Thanks

04-16-20 06:44PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Whew. |I couldn't figure what you were trying.

04-18-20 01:34PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

When someone hogs a rock in my league I always hear "that's around". Around what?

04-18-20 01:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

A round of drinks for the team for hogging it