Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-29-19 03:04PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

Percentages

I am often amazed at what percentage a player is at after a few ends!!
Since they are displaying these numbers every few ends ...why is the % number NOT posted after each shot ?
This way we can see what amount /bonus marks etc. Have been given each shot.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-29-19 05:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

For the slams they do it here, shot for shot, but not on tv. I'd like to see the running tally on tv as well. That way you know for sure when they've given 5/5 for example hit and roll behind a guard but instead hit and roll to the open or even a hit and roll out. Or worse a totally missed shot becomes plan C and works out and gets 5/5. It happens. Way too often.

12-30-19 07:27PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I believe you are correct, scored out 4 until maybe even up to 10-15 years ago. Now it's out 5 plus dod multiplier so it's possible to get almost 6 out of 5.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 12-30-19 at 07:31PM

12-30-19 07:32PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Agree with prior posts.

Can anyone confirm that back in the early to mid 80s, individual shot-scoring was based on a 4-point system?

However, if the shot was extraordinary or tangled in massive trouble the shooter could be scored 5 points, ie. an extra point for the degree of difficulty.

Was that ever a system of scoring?

I know that is what it was like in 1993 in Brandon when Sandra won her first Scotties, as I volunteered and worked the percentages.

01-03-20 01:02PM
Gallan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gallan Click here to Send Gallan a Private Message Find more posts by Gallan Add Gallan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gallan
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have been a statistician at the 2017 Roar of the Rings in Ottawa and at the 2018 Women's Worlds in North Bay so I can tell you how Curling Canada and the WCF score the curlers. Each shot is scored from 0 to 4. There is no "bonus" 5 point score for an outstanding shot so the maximum percentage for the game is 100%. In these competitions, there is no degree of difficulty so getting a "4" for a peel is easier than it is for a double raise takeout. Statisticians also record the turn and type of shot (there are about a half dozen options for both draws and hits).

In general, the curlers get a "4" for a made shot, a "2" for a half-shot (e.g., the easiest "2" to score is a hit and roll-out on a called nose hit) and a "0" for a miss but each individual type of shot has specific criteria for each score of 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

The system will be the same this year, at least for Curling Canada.

01-03-20 03:49PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

It would still be nice for the points assigned to each shot to be posted immediately

01-03-20 08:57PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Gallan
I have been a statistician at the 2017 Roar of the Rings in Ottawa and at the 2018 Women's Worlds in North Bay so I can tell you how Curling Canada and the WCF score the curlers. Each shot is scored from 0 to 4. There is no "bonus" 5 point score for an outstanding shot so the maximum percentage for the game is 100%. In these competitions, there is no degree of difficulty so getting a "4" for a peel is easier than it is for a double raise takeout. Statisticians also record the turn and type of shot (there are about a half dozen options for both draws and hits).

In general, the curlers get a "4" for a made shot, a "2" for a half-shot (e.g., the easiest "2" to score is a hit and roll-out on a called nose hit) and a "0" for a miss but each individual type of shot has specific criteria for each score of 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

The system will be the same this year, at least for Curling Canada.

It shocks me that WCF and CC are essentially using the same scoring system as devised by Don "Buckets" Flemming in the early 1960s. Definitely an area that Gerry and Dallas at CZ improved upon many years ago. Once we have tracking cameras (like Second Spectrum in the NBA) I'll be interested to see how much further we can go. Just watched an NBA League Pass game over the holidays with Second Spectrum data (check out "backcourt" streams if you subscribe) and found it appealing.

01-04-20 08:22PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Slams score out of 5 with the DOD difficulty multiplier. I think I like this method better. 4/4 for an open nose hit vs 5/5 plus bonus for double run-back double. Surely the latter should be worth more than the former. Just a matter of time before CC switches.

As mentioned above 2/4 for routine hit and rollout vs hit and stick. Should be 1 at most. The scorer is rewarding a missed shot. Hit and roll to the wrong spot should be 2/4.

01-04-20 08:54PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Just a matter of time before CC switches.

I think you missed the point of my comment. The Slam shooting stats (from Dallas and Gerry) have been around for over 15 years. Don't you think CC would have adjusted by now?

01-04-20 09:32PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

I am not sure to the viewer why percentages even are important. I have seen Jen Jones curl 30%, but make the right shot at the right time and win a game.

I can see them being important for teams to look at the other teams percentages before playing them.

I remember the 100% game Lois Fowler curled in the Scotties a few years back. I remember thinking, she did not curl 100%.

Also, a lot of shots depends on your sweepers - good draw to the pin. So the thrower gets 100% - but the sweeper got it there.

Really in my example of Jen, anyone can have a low percentage and still win a game with the right shot at the right time.

01-05-20 05:12AM
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

That was my exact point, im amazed at the % that is given to players when they are obviously have a bad game....
And in the other hand, a player who is having a fantastic game, has one bad shot and drops from a 98% to 85%...
Since they do give out %, it would be nice to see what they were graded.

01-05-20 10:05AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
That was my exact point, im amazed at the % that is given to players when they are obviously have a bad game....
And in the other hand, a player who is having a fantastic game, has one bad shot and drops from a 98% to 85%...
Since they do give out %, it would be nice to see what they were graded.

Yes I do not rely on percentages too judge performance unless we are talking long term. For the back end positions it is more about when you make or miss the critical shots.