Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 team changes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-19 04:14PM
trebendan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trebendan Find more posts by trebendan Add trebendan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trebendan
Knee-Slider

Tanner Horgan to curl out of Winnipeg now, with the Lott brothers & Doering

@TeamHorgan

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-19 05:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Lynn Kreviazuk has joined Megan Balsdon's rink as third for next season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ly...d-team-balsdon/

03-18-19 05:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by trebendan

@TeamHorgan

Hmmm wonder who Jacobs will recruit

03-18-19 06:32PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I have a feeling one of the best curlers in the world will come out of a short retirement and join Jacobs.

That's strange. I have the some feeling. With Fry moving elsewhere say to Alberta, Manitoba or Ontario, and with Horgan* curling out of the Peg, the door is now wide open in NO.

*What potential ! Happy he was either not offered the Vice position with Jacobs or he rejected it. The long term prospects with this "kid team" in the Peg is unlimited.

03-18-19 06:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by trebendan

@TeamHorgan

thats a surprising move. wow. team could be really good. another promising young team in manitoba

but that does leave a huge question of who jacobs will resruit.

i really hate to egg the haters on but....john morris out of retirement?

03-18-19 06:36PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

actually, i just remembered the success they had with kennedy at the canada cup.

seems to make sense that marc kennedy will be the new third

03-18-19 07:36PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
actually, i just remembered the success they had with kennedy at the canada cup.

seems to make sense that marc kennedy will be the new third

Yeah, thats exactly what I'm thinking. However, I don't believe that vice is the best position for Marc. Hmmmm. I know they did well at Canada Cup but that was a spiel. Wonder how he'll do playing full time. Curling with Jacobs would be quite a commitment.

03-18-19 08:06PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Howsabout Matt Woz? He has played with them before.

03-18-19 09:01PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

However, I don't believe that vice is the best position for Marc. .

hmmmmm

03-18-19 09:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

He seemed to do OK at third with Koe. Why wouldn't he do well with Jacobs?

03-18-19 09:55PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

so Marc takes some time off from a very successful team in his home province. He
has taken a position as national team program performance consultant with Curling Canada.

Does he want to join another team - out of province? Is he healed completely? He has a position at curling Canada that probably keeps him busy, along with family.

can't see it......but then again, nothing is surprising.

03-18-19 11:33PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
He seemed to do OK at third with Koe. Why wouldn't he do well with Jacobs?

I believe that Marc is/was an exceptional second. He has a great job now that allows him to spend time with his family and to also stay in the curling world. I don't believe he'll give that up, move to a new province and take up a position as vice. If he does, he will give it his absolute best which is something he has always done. Good luck Marc whatever you decide.

03-19-19 06:04AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I believe that Marc is/was an exceptional second. He has a great job now that allows him to spend time with his family and to also stay in the curling world. I don't believe he'll give that up, move to a new province and take up a position as vice. If he does, he will give it his absolute best which is something he has always done. Good luck Marc whatever you decide.

Kennedy was an exceptional front-ender (2nd). But at his age and recent spate of injuries & recovery there's no way he'd return to be a 2nd - no matter how glorious the opportunity.

03-19-19 10:01AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

ALBETTS

If Kennedy were to join Jacobs, is he obligated to move to NO?

03-19-19 10:10AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
ALBETTS

If Kennedy were to join Jacobs, is he obligated to move to NO?

No. One "legal" import per team. The other 3 all live in NO.

03-19-19 02:27PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

MOVE OVER MUIRHEAD ! ! !

03-21-19 10:57AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

To the surprise of very few, Marc Kennedy is joining Team Jacobs next season.

https://twitter.com/TeamBradJacobs/...744455580987392

Presumably at third? I would imagine so.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-21-19 11:43AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Very good, perhaps great move by Team Jacobs.
Kennedy not only gives them a stable & mostly precise 3rd rock shooter but his demeanour on and off the ice is indisputable.

Fry had an animalness about him that brought out too much ferocity in that great team.

After Koe, Jacobs is the best last rock monster-shooter in the game. Obviously Gushue & Bottcher are in the mix - but they are more nuanced guys who play chess more than table checkers.

I think Marc got along with the fellas during his brief sojourn with them after Fry's "suspension", self-imposed or other-wise!

Kennedy also likes the idea of being dropped into an auto-berth region, especially with Tanner Horgan moving over 1 province! For the rest of his curling career (3 yrs, whenever he wants to call it a day) he'll be in the Brier with exceptional curlers.

03-21-19 12:22PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Is my memory correct when I say that virtually all of the Jacobs teams success came after Fry came on board? It appears the opportunity of attracting Kennedy gave them the out to kick Fry to the curb. All four players need to be good to attain the success they had but I believe Fry took them to that required level.

03-21-19 03:57PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

What's Fry's next play?

He's 40 or 41 but I still believe the guy is in his curling prime. A heckuva shooter at any position. And he's been a vagabond curler for much of his career.
Will he return to Manitoba to skip or play 3rd?
3rd for Old Glenny?
Find an auto-berth spot in the Maritimes?
3rd for McEwen or Reid?
3rd for Jim Cotter in Auto-berth land, BC

03-21-19 04:32PM
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Maybe Fry will be a free agent, just floating around with whoever when needed? Could see that with him getting married and all.

03-21-19 05:57PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

ML drinking game

Need to add Auto berth to his repertoire

How about the Howard brothers for about 15-20 years between them in Ontario.

Stoughton for 10 years in your almighty Manitoba.

Kevin Martin auto berth in AB for 12 years, not including the 4-5 years he boycotted allowing Ferbey to have a career or it would have been 16-17.

Then Koe another 5

No such thing as auto berth. You still have to play the games. Best team usually wins, but, you still play.

03-21-19 06:40PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: ML drinking game

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Need to add Auto berth to his repertoire

How about the Howard brothers for about 15-20 years between them in Ontario.

Stoughton for 10 years in your almighty Manitoba.

Kevin Martin auto berth in AB for 12 years, not including the 4-5 years he boycotted allowing Ferbey to have a career or it would have been 16-17.

Then Koe another 5

No such thing as auto berth. You still have to play the games. Best team usually wins, but, you still play.

Good catch Maritimer,

But I've been using "auto-berth" as a sarcastic curling expression longer than JJ has been saying "Sorry, Kaitlyn" after another mis-placed rock!

Auto-berths are pretty much locks in certain areas. Let me know if you want odds on anyone other than Goo in Newfoundland-Lab or Jacobs in Northern Ont?
Better odds against auto-berth situations in BC where Cotter is never a 100% certainty - but always at least 80%. Marty Crete seems to have found a fresh land of auto-berths in Quebec, no?

Reid & Mikey (so long as they stay together) seem to have developed a relationship with Manitoba as a near-secure berth for the foreseeable future. Kinda like being the sheriff in a small american town, lots of power inside the town, not much outside.
Don't know if we have any other auto-berth situations in mens curling right now.

03-21-19 07:10PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Morris won't be on any teams:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...tures-1.5066589

03-21-19 07:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Auto berth

Back to Ontario, how do you think auto birth Glenn Howard felt about losing to Kean, Balsdon, Epping.....he was the best team, but not that day/week. Curling must be played on the ice, not your predetermined paper!!

The rest of us, take 2 shots in the ML game and move on.