Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Okotoks Womens: Jones vs Homan opener

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-12-20 08:39AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Okotoks Womens: Jones vs Homan opener

Jones vs Homan opener would be a classic 1st rd outing in any other era. Worthy of wending oneself down to the curling club. But not now.

Note that Lisa Weagle is NOT listed as a player for Team Jones this week. You'd think Jones would want to rub it in Rachel's mean face by bringing out her prize off-season catch, wouldn't you . . . ? ? ?

Maybe Jones is smarter than that? Rostering Weagle would only enrage Homan & MIskew even more than the state of fervent "Mean Girl Anger" they always play in. So putting Dawn in at lead was prolly done to keep Rachel drowsy. A drowsy Rachel is a beatable Rachel.

Although you can't predict who takes the duke in today's opener. JJ has a bunch of games behind her heading into the match. For Rachel its her coming out party with the twin power-houses of Sarah Wilkes & Courtney manning the front side. Ice-time & games during pandemic would have to favor Jones.

However, Jones games usually run counter-intuitive to conventional thinking. Therefore, I predict Homan lays a whuppin' on Jones today. They'll prolly meet again in the playoffs unless JJ is able to manipulate the draw to avoid Raytch until the final.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-12-20 11:43AM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Click here to Send Qtownranger a Private Message Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wonder if any of these big bonspiels this weekend are televised?

Many top men's teams in Penticton & the women in Alberta.

11-12-20 12:46PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

Re: Okotoks Womens: Jones vs Homan opener

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
You'd think Jones would want to rub it in Rachel's mean face by bringing out her prize off-season catch, wouldn't you . . . ? ? ?

Maybe Jones is smarter than that? Rostering Weagle would only enrage Homan & MIskew even more than the state of fervent "Mean Girl Anger" they always play in.

I do not understand why you continually insult Homan and her team this way. Having seen Miskew play many many games I would say she is one of the most affable curlers out there. Homan plays without expression, like Koe or Gushue and many other top tier skips, but that doesn't equal mean. By all accounts she is a pleasant and funny person off the ice. I guess you are trying to be funny but the humor escapes me.
The simple reason Dawn is playing is probably because she hasn't played much so far this year while Lisa has.

11-12-20 01:13PM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lisa is actually playing this week. Team Homan is not enraged.

11-12-20 02:21PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Handicapping the early season affair between Jones & Homan . . .
Kaitlyn vs Emma has always been the most fascinating matchup . . . neither one relents to the other as Big Emma almost always curls well vs Mighty Mite Lawes . . .

Biggest difference is that Kaitlyn is often given far higher degree of difficulty shots than Miskew. Also, many curling afficionados notice that Homan can read ice and weight slightly better than Jones - which plays to Miskew's favor - certainly doesn't do any favors to Katy Lawes. That said, Lawes almost always overcomes this handicap and gives Miskew a heckuva test most times.

At second - the newly minted Homan 2nd Sarah Wilkes vs. dainty-but-determined Joss Peterman. Physically, this one is a mis-match, even more than Miskew vs. Lawes. Wilkes might be the 2nd strongest woman in the game (next only to Joanne Courtney) and she's moving to 2nd from 3rd, so pretty much has all the shots - and then some. Getting used to Homan's accord will be her biggest challenge after playing with the up 'n down Chelsea Carey. Peterman is a steady-eddy of the ice lanes but never a dominant force. I see a slight and growing edge to Wilkes.

At lead - Weagle vs. Courtney - the two former partners-in-crime for Rachel H. Courtney is dropping down to lead to make room for Wilkes while Weagle has to get used to a different communication style and far more junky game than her days w/ Homan. Early season edge to Weagle based on experience. Same could be said for Dawn McEwen if she was in at lead. Physically, there's no comparison as Courtney is still the world's greatest female brusher while 35 yr old Weagle & 40 yr old Dawn are still very good, very alert but nowhere near the sheer horse-power of Wilkes & Courtney.

At skip - this is the conundrum. Homan's sheer accuracy intimidates Jones with Rachel still able to hustle up angry-stone weight while Jones only occasionally (when forced) throws the big stuff (but nowhere near as accurate as Homan)
When JJ has managed to win vs RH she usually out-skips and out-smarts Rachel in a chess-game style game, lots of stones in play, forcing Rachel to multiple raises, etc. But on the whole, Rachel has learned many lessons and has covered her deficiencies in garbage games.

Jones on the other hand is so very circumspect of Rachel making every shot perfectly so she tries too hard to do too much with almost every shot and that can cause problems that usually lead to Rachel dropping a big end (3 or 4) on Jennifer.

So on a 10 pt system, all factors considered here's my ratings:

Weagle 9.0 - Courtney 8.5
Joss P 8.0 - S Wilkes 8.5
Kaitlyn 8.5 - Emma 8.5
J Jones 7.5 - R Homan 8.5

On paper this favors Homan to win about 6.5. to 7 times out of every 10 games.

11-12-20 04:15PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger I wonder if any of these big bonspiels this weekend are televised? Many top men's teams in Penticton & the women in Alberta.

Yes. It is a big curling weekend. Some teams (eg Epping) are streaming most of their games on facebook, but we find out on a team-by-team basis. If anyone knows anything about either of these two events having live streaming or broadcast - please share it. Thanks. ~~n

11-12-20 04:50PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
I wonder if any of these big bonspiels this weekend are televised?

Many top men's teams in Penticton & the women in Alberta.

Watching now on Team Homan's Facebook account.

11-12-20 05:07PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Watching now on Team Homan's Facebook account.

Ouch.

11-12-20 05:33PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

Homan vs Jones live now on Okotoks CC's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewA9qAhlqs

11-12-20 06:00PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

They just announced a 2-weeks shutdown by Curling Alberta starting midnight, so this is the last draw of the event.

Curlers on ice haven't found out yet, they're still playing blissfully.

// edit: news spread and everybody "shook hands".

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-12-20 at 06:09PM

11-12-20 06:39PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Just me but could they not have start the shutdown Monday at 12:01 am?

11-12-20 07:31PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Just me but could they not have start the shutdown Monday at 12:01 am?

No shutdown for you CB . . . ! ! !

Looks like pro curling on thin ice for remainder of pandemic . . ! ! !

Noticed Rachel was taking her mask on and off during the short time the teams traded blows . . !!

Wonder if this will filter down to provincial and national women's championship - but the short term damage is limited prize money for the pro curlers who depend largely on prize money . . . ! ! !

11-12-20 08:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Don't want to jinx anything, but maybe if some of the provinces took it seriously and stayed the blazes home, they wouldn't be going through what they are today. 600 800 1000 1200 new cases per day! I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on tv, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out a pandemic is bad. Really. What are you thinking. One death is one too many.

11-12-20 08:53PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

Just be glad we got to see Joanne Courtney throw a couple of ticks against Lisa Weagle.

11-12-20 09:49PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Seriously, couple of rocks vs deaths? ****** man, you can't be serious. What is wrong with you? And any other who thinks curling is is above deaths, I just can't believe it. Shut up and hope for the best. No deaths!

How would you feel if one of your loved ones DIED because some idiot provincial person with NO medical experience or knowledge said, hey, go ahead a couple extra days.

UNBELIEVABLE.

11-12-20 10:06PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

Are you talking to me? Because I wasn't the one asking for more live curling and/or going against guidelines and/or violating the shut down order. I just reported what happened during the stream, and expressed my appreciation for whatever curling we do get to see.

For what it's worth, I'm perfectly fine watching and rewatching old curling. Just take a quick look at my YouTube channel and you'll see that I'm in the middle of rewatching the 2018 Canadian Mixed Doubles Trial (my favorite event start to finish). On the side, I'm digging up archival footage of Sandra Schmirler which until recently was unreachable to me due to CBC geoblocking restricting content to Canada. I somehow found the 2015 game where Gushue faceplanted, a Holy Grail that I thought I'd never find, and yet there it was on the internet for all Canadians to watch, as it had been for years! ( https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2678112463 ).

I actually sort of wish that there isn't as much live curling, mostly so I can catch up watching existing footage. I barely saw anything from 2018 Olympics ( http://quesoguapo.com/winter-olympi...eplays-20200511 ).

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-12-20 at 10:25PM