Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-05-22 03:13AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Chinese tennis players on the major tours are almost exclusively based overseas, and do not rely on the support of their country's federation like curlers and figure skaters do.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-05-22 02:10PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Wow I bet Dropkin didn’t see that coming…congrats to Korea for making the final. Gushue should not underestimate this Korean team.

11-05-22 02:26PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone

As if I needed any more reasons to hate the Recast system, they've now started charging double the credits for select matchups.

Shocker!

11-05-22 04:35PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The static camera "light" coverage with no commentary has always been half the price of the full production broadcast. They just doubled the price for everything, but that ratio is still preserved.

You can still get 250 free credit every day by "watching" ads (which you don't actually have to watch, if you know what I mean).

11-05-22 05:55PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

No double gold for Canada since the women lost to Japan in semifinal. Still a chance for double gold for Korea, but I think double silver is more probable.

11-05-22 07:01PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
No double gold for Canada since the women lost to Japan in semifinal. Still a chance for double gold for Korea, but I think double silver is more probable.

The Asian women have validated the existence of this tournament. The Pan Continental finals looks just like a typical Pan Pacific finals did.

But it's good that the weaker teams like Canada gain this valuable experience in international competition. Hopefully, with time, they will become comfortable enough to avoid wilting under pressure.

11-05-22 07:50PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Where did someone make a sincere argument that the Korean and Japanese teams aren't equal threats on the women's side? I'm guessing nowhere and you're just inventing a strawman.

Anyway, yet another failure by Canadian women's curling. It remains a problem.

11-05-22 08:30PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel Where did someone make a sincere argument that the Korean and Japanese teams aren't equal threats on the women's side? I'm guessing nowhere and you're just inventing a strawman.

To be honest, my post was intended as a trolling joke towards those that view these qualifying tournaments to be beneath a country with the curling status and reputation of Canada (e.g., it being "a waste of time and money" for them to participate)

Clearly, Team Einarson is the more skilled team, and if they faced Team Fujisawa a hundred times, I expect that they would win about eighty of them. But the Japanese came in with a clear plan of keeping the game close until the end and hoping for some things to go their way in the end, which it did in this case. Perhaps Einarson does not see such a style of curling very often in domestic play, and was not prepared to manage it?

International curlers have gotten better by coming to Canada to face Canadian curlers. Now it may be time for the reverse to happen; for Canadian teams to find more opportunities to compete with the international teams to gain the experience necessary to handle situations such as this. They need to be participating in more events like this, not less.

11-05-22 09:14PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Heads up for everyone, TSN is not showing the Bronze game on TV, due to CFL and NFL playoffs, it will be on TSN.ca.

11-05-22 09:41PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

To be honest, my post was intended as a trolling joke towards those that view these qualifying tournaments to be beneath a country with the curling status and reputation of Canada (e.g., it being "a waste of time and money" for them to participate)

Clearly, Team Einarson is the more skilled team, and if they faced Team Fujisawa a hundred times, I expect that they would win about eighty of them. But the Japanese came in with a clear plan of keeping the game close until the end and hoping for some things to go their way in the end, which it did in this case. Perhaps Einarson does not see such a style of curling very often in domestic play, and was not prepared to manage it?

International curlers have gotten better by coming to Canada to face Canadian curlers. Now it may be time for the reverse to happen; for Canadian teams to find more opportunities to compete with the international teams to gain the experience necessary to handle situations such as this. They need to be participating in more events like this, not less.

Seeing you’re targeting me, I will respond.
At no time did I single out “ a waste of time for Canada”.
I said it was a waste of time and money to have any country that finished top 4 at the previous worlds to have to participate.
But some don’t understand that.
I don’t have a problem with having a qualifying/ relegation tournament . But every country should not have to participate. At least not until they drop to the bottom of the world standings.

11-06-22 01:20AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

I won't go into the merits of granting the previous tournament's champions an automatic birth into the next event, as I can understand the points made by both sides of that argument, and will just say that it's the general trend across all sports to be moving away from that (for example, since 2002, the World Cup soccer winners no longer received an automatic birth into the next competition)

What I will say is that, as neither Canadian team steamrolled through the tournament winning every match with the earliest possible handshakes, it has been definitively proven that their participation was not "a waste of time". They actually lost games, and even in the games that they won there was room for improvement, so the only way it proves a waste of time is if they choose to ignore all of the issues and lessons learned over the past week.

11-06-22 01:40AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Canadian women played wrong shots in last two ends.

11-06-22 04:08AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

This is now the third major international women's competition of 2022 where the bottom two teams in the semi-finals advanced to the finals (2022 Olympics, 2022 Junior Worlds, 2022 Pan Continental). Statistical anomoly, or can anyone think of a logical reason for this?

11-06-22 07:52AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Canadian women played wrong shots in last two ends.

Clearly an average coach would have helped. Russ said it in the last end with Kerri's first shot....I would like to be shot.

11-07-22 12:07AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Congratulations to the Ladies JaPan Continental champions! Despite two Olympic Medals, this is the biggest event that Team Fujisawa has ever actually won.

I'm also happy to see that this win qualifies them for the Champions Cup. But I don't see the European championship on the list of qualifying events?

11-07-22 03:23AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Apparently Einarson is 70% win rate in her last 20 games again Fujisawa but how many of those were 8 ends? She would've won the semi in 8 too. But no excuse for the 9th and 10th. I don't know what the issue is but they had that game and lost it inexcusably. Something continues to be missing from women's curling in Canada and I'm not sure what. Though there's an argument that women's curling in general lacks consistency. The Olympics were some of the worst curling I've ever seen and the gold medallists are not a good representation for the state of women's curling.

I am glad to see Fujisawa win a final. She seems the perennial bridesmaid, though I guess she had the 2015 Pacific Championship.

On the men's side I do think Gushue dominated, but-for that 4 ender by Dropkin. Gushue is never a 20-1 type guy, too conservative, but wasn't really in trouble in any of the games after the opener. I'm not sure what else domination looks like at this level with competent teams. And they didn't even seem to be playing their best to my eye. I did love seeing Harnden, who just seemed to thrilled to be with his new team.

11-07-22 08:16AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
I am glad to see Fujisawa win a final. She seems the perennial bridesmaid, though I guess she had the 2015 Pacific Championship.

On the international stage, I think her only other title was a leg of that one-and-done Curling World Cup. While I am very happy to see her get that monkey off her back, it happened in a rather sloppy game with one of the worst played extra ends by both sides that I've ever seen. I was almost expecting Fujisawa to miss the final shot and blank the end.

Last edited by hailstone on 11-07-22 at 08:22AM

11-07-22 12:07PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What would've been cute is if Fujisawa wins the Pinty's Cup without winning a slam. Koe did that in 2018-2019 season (he had the most points from consistent performance).

Would you count that as a win? I would.

11-07-22 01:26PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I was so happy to see fujisawa get the win. Thats such a fun team to watch .

I have to say i was impressed by new zealand men. That skip anton hood is a real shot maker. Wuth some more experience they could be really good and contending for medals here in a few years.

Whay surprises me is china being firced to compete in b division next year. Tjis means they will miss 2024 worlds, whixh purs their olympic qualifying in major doubt. Theyll need a strong 2025 to get there

11-07-22 04:59PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I was so happy to see fujisawa get the win. Thats such a fun team to watch .

I have to say i was impressed by new zealand men. That skip anton hood is a real shot maker. Wuth some more experience they could be really good and contending for medals here in a few years.

Whay surprises me is china being firced to compete in b division next year. Tjis means they will miss 2024 worlds, whixh purs their olympic qualifying in major doubt. Theyll need a strong 2025 to get there

That’s what happens when your government makes it hard for you to compete internationally

11-07-22 05:19PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Whay surprises me is china being firced to compete in b division next year.

Especially since Australian ladies were only in the A division this year due to a special exemption for very similar COVID related reasons.

11-08-22 07:56AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CgyCurler
Prices are ridiculous too though. $20 to go see a mostly 6 end blowouts? When the cash spiels last week, with much more competitive fields, cost $5?

For reference, the top priced tickets for the Karuizawa International Curling Championship are going for 100,000 yen, or about 600 USD.

https://www.karuizawaclub.ne.jp/kar...national-ticket

Even the "obstructed view" seats are about 35 USD.

11-09-22 02:38AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
the bottom two teams in the semi-finals advanced to the finals

This also happens at men's sometimes. Just look at Penticton that was happening basically at the same time as Pan-Continental.

The two teams at the finals (Shuster & Dunstone) had to fight their way in through tiebreaker games. In the semifinals, they beat 5-0 teams that got a bye to the quarterfinals (Gauthier & Edin).

I think that's great. I'm not one of those "I only want to see the best team win!" kind of sport purist. I like upsets. I watch curling for the drama.

11-11-22 04:41AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

This takes spamming to a new level.

11-11-22 05:20AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

Late to the party here, but I can't believe how badly acknowledged Fujisawa's accomplishments and "skill level" are here, as if they're vastly beneath Einarson or other Canadian teams.

- The team has been on the podium at consecutive Olympics. CONSECUTIVE OLYMPICS.
- The team had a silver medal at the Worlds in 2016 (and haven't played in a World Championship since then to better that medal)
- The team has made the playoffs in 11/16 Grand Slam events they've played since 2018.

We talk about them like they're an overachieving underdog. If they were a Canadian team, we would talk about them as the underachieving team that can't get the monkey off their back and win the big one.

To say nothing of the Korean women's program, which has been on the podium at 2 of the last 3 World Championships and earned a Silver Medal at the 2018 Olympics.

The disrespect (unintentional, no doubt) towards Asian region teams is remarkable given their consistent and obvious success in the past two Olympic cycles. And it's a shame China have fallen off that list, where Bingyu Wang was so strong for so many years.