Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-16-20 08:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Chelsea and her old front end (Brown/Ferguson) are gonna have to go like the dickens to qualify for the Roar.
Always wondered if individual points accumulated by a player are transferable to a new team?
Anyone know?

Sarah Wilkes doesn't have to worry if she's announced like most expect as Team Homan's new player. That team will certainly have enough points - it may have already qualified due to its early season slam win.

But Carey is now seen as a fairly hi-strung, hi-risk acquisition. She may have to literally beg for graduated juniors or the like to go to work for her!

what a stupid thing to say. chelsea is one of the most successful canadian skips of recent times. she wont have to beg anyone to curl with her.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-16-20 08:05PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

How many other counties require you live in the same state, or county, or province or region to play in their national championship? I bet none. Why should we hinder our top teams in Canada?

03-16-20 08:11PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Truth be known, it would be better if the Canada Cup winners went to the respective worlds. They could still hold the Brier and Scotties for good teams, but not for the world rep.

03-16-20 08:18PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

what a stupid thing to say. chelsea is one of the most successful canadian skips of recent times. she wont have to beg anyone to curl with her.

Agreed. Also 'hi strung' is not a word I would use to describe Carey.

03-16-20 08:28PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
Truth be known, it would be better if the Canada Cup winners went to the respective worlds. They could still hold the Brier and Scotties for good teams, but not for the world rep.

And who would be eligible to compete? Would you not think it is fair that any curler in Canada is eligible to represent their country. The brier and Scotties start with play downs across each province. ANYONE can compete, even though it is unlikely that they win their province.
They have another option now apparently, PEI or Nunavut

03-16-20 08:44PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet

And who would be eligible to compete? Would you not think it is fair that any curler in Canada is eligible to represent their country. The brier and Scotties start with play downs across each province. ANYONE can compete, even though it is unlikely that they win their province.
They have another option now apparently, PEI or Nunavut

Anyone in Canada can compete in spiels, Slams, etc. The top 7 Canadian teams will qualify for the CC as they do now. Saskvet, do any other counties restrict their world reps based on which part of their country they live or were born in? Of course not. We should not hold back our top teams when they have to compete against international teams who have no restrictions.

03-16-20 08:46PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
How many other counties require you live in the same state, or county, or province or region to play in their national championship? I bet none. Why should we hinder our top teams in Canada?

None. But no other country has a brier. Some teams are even picked by their countries curling gods.
A few years back, the brier was boycotted by a few top teams. All these teams were made up of players from the same clubs, or close to. And the winner of the brier was usually still a top team.
Even this recently, only one championship banner needed to be made for the home club. Now 4 need to be made.
Then came the Olympics!
Maybe in the year prior to the olys it can be a free for all and anyone can play together, but for the other 3 years, teams must be full residents for at least a year.

03-16-20 09:04PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Elitist and smug to say the least. These Canada cup "invitees" are basically full time curlers being paid by curling Canada and huge sponsorship. The Scotties and brier are our national championship for ALL. Inclusion, not exclusion. What's wrong with a team outside the top 7 ranked winning the Scotties? Nothing. These top teams already have an ill gotten 2 nd chance via top 2 ctrs teams that didn't win their province. My view you can't win your province, too bad, try next year.

Now because of curling Canada succumbing to the elite teams, the new homan residency rule. What a farce. Now theres 4 guys LIVING in AB playing for NL.

What CC wont do to keep their jobs by giving in to the top teams. I say shame on them.

Here ended today's lesson, for now.

03-16-20 09:08PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

None. But no other country has a brier. Some teams are even picked by their countries curling gods.
A few years back, the brier was boycotted by a few top teams. All these teams were made up of players from the same clubs, or close to. And the winner of the brier was usually still a top team.
Even this recently, only one championship banner needed to be made for the home club. Now 4 need to be made.
Then came the Olympics!
Maybe in the year prior to the olys it can be a free for all and anyone can play together, but for the other 3 years, teams must be full residents for at least a year.

03-16-20 09:23PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

You make some good points, all of you
A number of years ago, 90 percent of the curlers in the world came from Canada.I am sure that percentage has dropped a little. Curling clubs today range from 1 sheet o 16 sheet. They are mostly run by volunteers, and the majority of clubs have between 100 and 300 members.
In order to survive volunteers have to run anything from lottos to bake sales.
Some countries don't even have play downs. Some countries have less than 3 curling teams in the whole countries, and I am talking about countries with world class teams.
I think that Canada is unique in the way that they choose their representative to the world because we are unique in that we protect those volunteers who make the curling clubs go.
I am sure that if I was the lady selling goods at a bake sale, I would be have a hell of a lot less pride in that banner hanging from the roof of 4 people who never darkened the doors, than I would if the members were 4 home grown lads from the Nutana Curling club for instance

03-16-20 09:28PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Chelsea and her old front end (Brown/Ferguson) are gonna have to go like the dickens to qualify for the Roar.
Always wondered if individual points accumulated by a player are transferable to a new team?
Anyone know?

Sarah Wilkes doesn't have to worry if she's announced like most expect as Team Homan's new player. That team will certainly have enough points - it may have already qualified due to its early season slam win.

But Carey is now seen as a fairly hi-strung, hi-risk acquisition. She may have to literally beg for graduated juniors or the like to go to work for her!

No Team Homan doesn’t have to worry about qualifying for the Roar as they qualified by winning the Canada Cup.

03-16-20 09:32PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hollie Duncan has joined Team Megan Balsdon as their new skip. Leaving the team is Lynn Kreviazuk. Perhaps stepping up to full time team Homan?

03-16-20 09:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
[i]Originally posted by

I am sure that if I was the lady selling goods at a bake sale, I would be have a hell of a lot less pride in that banner hanging from the roof of 4 people who never darkened the doors, than I would if the members were 4 home grown lads from the Nutana Curling club for instance [/B]

This sums it up nicely. Again, need a like button.

03-16-20 09:34PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

And one more thing before my old age catches up to me and I have to go to bed.
The Mike McEwans, and Brenden Bottchers of this world are teams that kicked around for a few years but all members of the same curling club or close vicinity and look how they turned out

03-16-20 09:45PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:

Chelsea can match her skills with anyone. Why wouldn’t it be an attractive proposition to work with a talented two-time national champion? She’s not high strung, she just wears her emotions on her sleeve. ‘Defeat does not rest lightly on their (her) shoulders’, said the sign in the Maple Leafs’ dressing room at old MLG. I believe Chelsea hates to lose and I think she may be brutally honest, occasionally to a fault. But if potential teammates can accept that (and why wouldn’t they?) then she should have little trouble building a dynamite team, IMO.

03-16-20 10:15PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Even junior players are moving across provinces to make the best team they can. Top junior programs are concentrating in two or three clubs in each province and if you are a promising curler you go to them and get put on a team. The days of curling in the closest club with your buddies and maybe continuing on into adult leagues are disappearing fast. This will have two results. One, teams will come out of junior even stronger and more ready than ever which is good. Two, fewer kids will curl in the non-competitive junior leagues like hockey where the A players keep going while the B and C drop out. Curling club membership is old and this will not replenish those numbers. This isn't great but it's inevitable and there's no point trying to put the cat back in the bag by changing residency rules back to what they were. You can't make it a free for all where the top teams will be representing Nunavut and Yukon but birth province and province you live in seems reasonable. Unfortunately you get issues like the PEI team from Ontario but you gotta live with those now and then.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-16-20 at 10:28PM

03-16-20 10:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

And for all of be above, thank curling Canada for their lack of backbone, leadership, and fear. Let me keep my red coat and free trips at all costs. Even if it means curling in Canada will be screwed for Years or worse generations to the point of non relevance .

Great to have competitive teams, but at what cost?

03-16-20 10:48PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

not really comparable. no other national championship is like our. the US championship for example doesnt divide the teams competing as to being from a different state. its team shuster, team dropkin not team wisconsin or team north dakota for example.

im not saying they all have to live in the same place. there should be a rule, to me that at least 2 members of a team live in the province of representation

Last edited by misty1 on 03-16-20 at 10:52PM

03-16-20 11:26PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i dont blame the guys at all. you cant fault them for manipulating the system. its, as you said the fault o curling canada creating rules to cater to top teams

I blame the players - as well as Curling Canada... of course.
Just because something is technically permitted in no way means that it's ethical to do it. It's like the old adage of 'Guns don't kill people - people kill people'. Maintaining an integrity should be important. Players who manipulate or abuse the rules are just as responsible as are those who make the rules.
Just because an organization or entity creates rules out of selfishness or desperation or even out of simple misguidedness does not remove any responsibility from those who take advantage of the poor regulations for selfish and self-serving purposes.

"The law often allows what honor forbids." - Bernard Saurin

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-16-20 11:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

This article hints Morris as a Flasch replacement?

"Multiple sources have indicated that Koe could bring in two-time Olympic gold medallist John Morris as a replacement for Flasch. It’s not clear what position the two-time Brier champion might play, but he has played skip and third at high levels throughout his career. Morris lives and works as a firefighter in Canmore, Alta."

https://winnipegsun.com/curling/on-...ending-shakeups

03-16-20 11:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Koe drops flash

Old news , surprised it wasn't Hebert too. Have to keep the points and funding I guess. Both can sweep hard, but neither can hardly sweep for accuracy. Proven over and over and over again. Don't get me wrong, great physical sweepers but neither have the top 4 out of the hand feel. Pound pound pound back 8

Whoooooaaaaaaooooaaa

Wtf, says koe under his breath.

03-16-20 11:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

I blame the players - as well as Curling Canada... of course.
Just because something is technically permitted in no way means that it's ethical to do it. It's like the old adage of 'Guns don't kill people - people kill people'. Maintaining an integrity should be important. Players who manipulate or abuse the rules are just as responsible as are those who make the rules.
Just because an organization or entity creates rules out of selfishness or desperation or even out of simple misguidedness does not remove any responsibility from those who take advantage of the poor regulations for selfish and self-serving purposes.

"The law often allows what honor forbids." - Bernard Saurin

Wise.

03-16-20 11:42PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

How many other countries do it is entirely irrelevant , of course. Many countries have different systems of choosing their national champion - and the systems range from absurd to selfish to traditional.
Our National Championship goes back many, many years. The Brier was set up this way - as a National Championship to pit province against province against province.

The better question is: Why should the rules be changed to benefit certain players/teams?
I know you see this situation from a less than objective perspective because of who you are (or, more precisely, because of who you're related to), but jeez...
Why should the Brier and Scotties restrict players by province and territory? Because that was the concept of these competitions from the beginning. The eligibility rules have been bent recently - very likely because of Curling Canada's desperate fear that other countries will beat Canada at the Worlds - and this has benefited many of the top teams.
But even though your particular horse in the race has most definitely benefited from the new eligibility rules (and the bending of them), you're still not happy... You still want more...
Sigh...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-17-20 11:13AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Team Megan Balsdon
@TeamMegBalsdon
#teamupdate We’d like to welcome @HolDuncs
to the lineup as skip next season! We’ve been playing against Hollie for years and we’re excited to join forces! We loved playing with Lynn this season and appreciate her friendship! We wish her all the best in her future endeavours.
Tightening up in Ontario Women's ranks.

03-17-20 11:19AM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Looking forward to seeing Hollie join her new team.

ML, seems to be a bit cruel to want to make Koe sweep, he's 45. He's a fit dude, of course, but I feel his place is at the skip position.