Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 16 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-26-20 07:07AM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Hey ML: You made a couple of statements about skips and thirds
1. They used to be Doctors, Lawyers, Druggists, etc. He so called upper class in society
2. Skips or thirds were natural born
I would agree with you to a point on the first, as they could “travel and bonspiel” due to financial clout. At least in Sask, many farmers were much better curlers and there were probably twenty curling clubs in a fifty mile radius, hell, every little community had an elevator, general store and a curling club. Mostly natural ice, sometimes with big cracks going across the sheet; runs like a pair of nylon stockings. Ice was crooked as hell. They learned how to read the ice.
On the second point, skips and thirds are the result of circumstances and environment. The only difference, today, skill wise on the good teams is that the skip not only can, but wants to throw the last rock. Ice reading is a part of it, but on the good teams, all four can read the ice.
Think about the good teams, outside of Ben Hebert who can only throw one turn, and must play lead, many have settled into their position due to circumstances. Kennedy is a great example. Arguably the best third in Canada could only play lead for Mr. Stoughton. Couldn’t have some hacker from Nfld play up the lineup. (I am joking, I know who was there to play third) Circumstances!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-26-20 12:19PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Magnusson is at Karlstads Curlingklubb.Like Page
5 hrs · Karlstad, Sweden
News for the 2020/2021 Season!😁
We are very excited to welcome Rasmus Israelsson as a new player in the original line up for the team. Rasmus served us as an alternate at the WJBCC 2019 and the WJCC 2020 this season and has really impressed us. He will bring a lot of knowledge, thoughts and joy to the team. We are glad to have you on board Rasmus, warm welcome!🤝

We are also introducing a new alternate for the 2020/2021 season. Arvid Norin will join us as the fifth man for the season and will play when any of us others cannot or have other competitions. Arvid is a former teammate with Rasmus and has a good feel for the sport. Arvid will bring much happiness and positive energy to the team. We are delighted to have you with us Arvid, welcome to the team!😁

We have strong faith in this constellation and believe that we will be able to go a long way. We will tell you more precisely what our playing order will look like at a later date. Now preparations for the season await with physical training, new collaborations and planning work.💪
#svenskcurling #karlstadcurlingklubb #teammagnusson #curling #hardwork @ Karlstads Curlingklubb

03-26-20 12:43PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet
Think about the good teams, outside of Ben Hebert who can only throw one turn, and must play lead, many have settled into their position due to circumstances. Kennedy is a great example. Arguably the best third in Canada could only play lead for Mr. Stoughton. Couldn’t have some hacker from Nfld play up the lineup. (I am joking, I know who was there to play third) Circumstances!!

Assume you mean Nichols. I think the reason he is now a top 5 third in the world is because he went to play for Stoughton. Before that he was outstanding hitter who wasn't as strong on the touch shots but after throwing nothing but draws for Jeff he went back to Gushue as the full all around package. More skips coming out of junior should consider this route. Middaugh played second for Russ, Kennedy was front end for Martin and they improved their games, learned strategy from the best and became world class back end players.

03-26-20 01:06PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

The Duguid team of 1970 + 1971 was one of curling's great anomalies. Duguid was not particularly liked by his team. Neither was Hunter for that matter. But Duguid finally gelled into a monster 4th rock shooter while Hunter (not a skip) evolved into a well above average field general. The two gentle giants who swept those stones (Pettapiece & Wood) were generally mute, Pettapiece could brutalize a broom and Woody wasn't that far behind him. There were no lectures, fascinating discussions or arguments on Team Arrow/Duguid.
Keep in mind that Duguid was only 37 when he hung up his hole-filled curling shoes for good in 1972.

Duguid quit after the back to backs? Did not know that. I remember he parlayed his success into an announcer's job but I always thought he was still playing on the side. Used to curl Sat mornings and in the afternoon watch Dugie doing curling from I think the StJames hockey rink. They would put in ice for a week and tape a pile of games to show during the year. Lot better announcers than Vic and Russ that's for sure.

03-26-20 02:22PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Assume you mean Nichols. I think the reason he is now a top 5 third in the world is because he went to play for Stoughton. Before that he was outstanding hitter who wasn't as strong on the touch shots but after throwing nothing but draws for Jeff he went back to Gushue as the full all around package. More skips coming out of junior should consider this route. Middaugh played second for Russ, Kennedy was front end for Martin and they improved their games, learned strategy from the best and became world class back end players.

You made my point for me. Circumstances!!
I am not sure that I agree that completely that he learned the touch shots playing lead for Stoughten though, we can agree to disagree.
He probably did pick up something from him and did go back home a better player
I think that it was a case of bruised egos between Brad and BamBam. Like two brothers fighting. I think that it took a lot for Nichols to make the phone call and a grown up Gushue to accept the olive branch.
I remember watching on TV, an interview after the bronze medal game when a tearful Nichols announced he was going to Manitoba

03-26-20 02:36PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I have to say something about the constant complaining about about TSN Curling broadcasts. TSN has done more to grow Curling into a spectator sport than anyone.
Vic, with his "silly questions" has educated more non curlers about the game than anyone I can think of. He plays the fool well, but is far from it.
Russ is certainly knowledgeable but may be a step back from moose. And I really don't know what she adds
The morning crew is great in my opinion
We are damn lucky to have them.

03-26-20 03:12PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Team Magnusson is at Karlstads Curlingklubb.Like Page
5 hrs · Karlstad, Sweden
News for the 2020/2021 Season!😁
We are very excited to welcome Rasmus Israelsson as a new player in the original line up for the team. Rasmus served us as an alternate at the WJBCC 2019 and the WJCC 2020 this season and has really impressed us. He will bring a lot of knowledge, thoughts and joy to the team. We are glad to have you on board Rasmus, warm welcome!🤝

We are also introducing a new alternate for the 2020/2021 season. Arvid Norin will join us as the fifth man for the season and will play when any of us others cannot or have other competitions. Arvid is a former teammate with Rasmus and has a good feel for the sport. Arvid will bring much happiness and positive energy to the team. We are delighted to have you with us Arvid, welcome to the team!😁

We have strong faith in this constellation and believe that we will be able to go a long way. We will tell you more precisely what our playing order will look like at a later date. Now preparations for the season await with physical training, new collaborations and planning work.💪
#svenskcurling #karlstadcurlingklubb #teammagnusson #curling #hardwork @ Karlstads Curlingklubb

Good to hear. I know Edin has had some surgeries and may only be around for one more Olympics, maybe these guys can challenge Erickson and Wrana down the line. The more international teams competing at the top level the better for curling overall.

03-26-20 03:56PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Ontario skip Jacqueline Harrison has formed a new team for next season with third Alli Flaxey, second Lynn Kreviazuk and lead Laura Hickey.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/h...reID3gS8

03-26-20 04:18PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I have to say something about the constant complaining about about TSN Curling broadcasts. TSN has done more to grow Curling into a spectator sport than anyone.
Vic, with his "silly questions" has educated more non curlers about the game than anyone I can think of. He plays the fool well, but is far from it.
Russ is certainly knowledgeable but may be a step back from moose. And I really don't know what she adds
The morning crew is great in my opinion
We are damn lucky to have them.

I totally disagree. Russ provides many points that fo beyond the basics of the game. He might repeat many of them constantly, but hopefully they educate people who have started the game. Many don't know the nuances like drag effect, 90 degree rule, gearing effect and so on. Cheryl makes a lot of good points, especially the differences between the men's and women's games. I don't like the morning crew at all. Bryan tries too hard and Cathy has a severe case of verbal diarrhea, and much of it unnecessary or just plain wrong! I will agree with one thing, TSN has played a significant role in hte growth of curling! Sorry for submitting this given it has nothing to do with this thread, but I had to reply.

03-26-20 05:17PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky

I totally disagree. Russ provides many points that fo beyond the basics of the game. He might repeat many of them constantly, but hopefully they educate people who have started the game. Many don't know the nuances like drag effect, 90 degree rule, gearing effect and so on. Cheryl makes a lot of good points, especially the differences between the men's and women's games. I don't like the morning crew at all. Bryan tries too hard and Cathy has a severe case of verbal diarrhea, and much of it unnecessary or just plain wrong! I will agree with one thing, TSN has played a significant role in hte growth of curling! Sorry for submitting this given it has nothing to do with this thread, but I had to reply.

Now that is the response I was looking for!! Yes, Russ makes a lot of good points and is excellent. He is so far superior to Moose. Cheryl also is knowledgeable and does point out the differences.
Sometimes you have to throw a twenty pound line into the water to catch a 5 pounder! Well said.

03-26-20 06:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sorry but nope. the best team TSN ever had was linda, vic and ray. they were so good together. they were great at explaining strategy, they didnt talk to much and they had differing opinions at times. they also didnt tongue bathe the top teams the way russ and cheryl do.

also the never ending comparisons to golf are just to much. the odd one here or there , okay but russ makes one in every single game he comments on.

03-26-20 06:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Ontario skip Jacqueline Harrison has formed a new team for next season with third Alli Flaxey, second Lynn Kreviazuk and lead Laura Hickey.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/h...reID3gS8

oh cool, alison flaxey is back. good to see. this team could be pretty solid. if the chemistry is okay this could be a serious hurdle for rachel in ontario next year

03-26-20 08:29PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

My main point was that we are lucky as hell to have TSN broadcast as much curling as they do.
Some announcers are better, some worse. Eye of the beholder.
Just so you know, I am just an old prankster, trying to elicit a response.
Most of the meaningful info on this thread comes from Meaghan anyways.
I guess we could talk about Crocker Walker having a baby, oh, we did that.

03-26-20 08:40PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Now that is the response I was looking for!! Yes, Russ makes a lot of good points and is excellent. He is so far superior to Moose. Cheryl also is knowledgeable and does point out the differences.
Sometimes you have to throw a twenty pound line into the water to catch a 5 pounder! Well said.

Gee be consistent man. In your first post you said Russ was a step back from moose ( Ray ) and you don't really know what she adds and now you are saying he is far superior and she ( Cheryl ? ) is knowledgeable. Which is it???

03-26-20 08:57PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Gee be consistent man. In your first post you said Russ was a step back from moose ( Ray ) and you don't really know what she adds and now you are saying he is far superior and she ( Cheryl ? ) is knowledgeable. Which is it???

Like I said in my previous post, I am an old prankster. Some people like Vic,Russ, Cheryl. Some don't.
I was trying to elicit a response. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I just find it odd that we get so many complaints about TSN when they provide so much.
Some people would complain if they were hung with an old rope!!

03-26-20 09:09PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

From a pure electricity point of view I loved The Dons - Don Wittman & Don Duguid. Curlng had a big-time feel with the Olympic announcer Wittman & world champion Duguid. Duguid was simple and clipped with his commentary, never afraid to scuff someone's shoes.

Yah, not really fair to compare today's announcers to Wittman. The guy was hall of fame pro calling multiple sports and never talked over the action.
Duguid definitely called em like he saw em. Of course back then people actually missed shots on their own. Nowadays there are mostly picks or mismatched rocks or creeping frost causing misses apparently.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-26-20 at 09:11PM

03-26-20 09:10PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Re: TSN. It all looks so easy from the comfort of a couch. It’s not.

03-26-20 09:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

getting back on track the announcements have died down. i suspect that we're all done.

anyone know of any international changes aside from sinclair and schori's teams ?.

03-26-20 09:51PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Well said. And does anyone remember Ernie A***anis actually calling the games like Vic, or was he just a studio host?

03-26-20 09:53PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I think that someone was thinking I was swearing when I said A***anis

03-27-20 01:20AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
getting back on track the announcements have died down. i suspect that we're all done.

anyone know of any international changes aside from sinclair and schori's teams ?.

If we’re all done, that leaves Chelsea Carey out in the cold. Unless I missed an announcement.

03-27-20 01:34AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by maybo

If we’re all done, that leaves Chelsea Carey out in the cold. Unless I missed an announcement.

Here here. Waiting next team update from meaghan

03-27-20 10:20AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

"With all that, Chelsea also brings a ton of baggage, labelled "Chels Carey""
Should read Chelsea Carey and dad.

03-27-20 11:29AM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Maybe she will go to Ontario and chase Homan back to Alberta. Or, Sask or even the East Coast to form a super team.
People need mattresses to sleep on everywhere.

03-27-20 01:32PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is a team changes thread. I don’t want to cipher through the same repetitive Manitoba legend posts that we have all read 1000 times. Let’s stay on track !

quote:
I remember Ernie Afiganis from CBC years ago.

The Greek God was mostly a talking head host (like Ron McLean). Ernie was very good, don't get me wrong.

Others who did national broadcasts of televised curling.

Don Chevrier (Chevy)
Fred Scambati
Johnny Esaw

There were a plethora of good guys who did radio calls on Brier and Consols curling from the 1940s thru early 1990s.

Some of the names I remember:

- James T. (Jim) Laing (Sask'n)
- Robert 'Bob' Picken (Manitoba)
- Chuck Pachkowsky (Sask'n)
- Professor Neil Andrews (Manitoba)
- Ken Roth (Manitoba)
- Ron Arnst (Manitoba)
- Yours truly (Manitoba & Sask'n)