LTU (Paulauskaite) Final
JPN (Yoshimura) (7)
ENG (Harsch) Final
AUS (Forge) (7)
SCO (Kennedy) Final
NZL (Olszewski) (6)
USA (Montgomery) Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-23-20 12:10AM
bc-fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bc-fan Find more posts by bc-fan Add bc-fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bc-fan
Knee-Slider

tsn crew

Cannot believe tsn crew complaints..they are gr8
their job is to promote the game and the players.not to nitpick
15 years ago cca gave multi year contract to cbc..so many complaints the contract was broken and given back to tsn crew...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-23-20 10:57AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I spent my working days in the sports media. I spent a draw watching the goings-on in the TSN production truck. It all looks so easy from the comfort of our couch. It’s not. TSN and RSN do outstanding work and should be applauded.

02-23-20 12:40PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

I wear the hair shirt of guilt because back when CBC took the contract I was very critical of the announcing crew, when it was actually the crappy coverage that pissed me off. (Does anyone here remember The 'Cow Channel"?)
I was so bad that I was called an "anti-Harrisite" which sounds suspiciously like an excommunication in the making offense.
And now that I wear my punishment and have confessed my sins I can clearly state.
People, including me, will always complain about the announcing.
Be happy with what we have, lest we be sent to another 'Cow Channel' purgatory.
(And sorry Mike. I know I'm an ass.)

02-23-20 01:14PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I also like the TSN production overall, but there are some things they could do better:

1. Show more information. There is lots of screen room for stats and rock times, especially with how a narrow curling sheet fits on a widescreen TV.
2. Show the other game updates live, not delayed by 30-60 seconds. I hate how they pretend it's happening live, which is insulting to viewers.
3. If a game is not close, move to another game sooner.
4. If a game wraps up and you have a different game still going, don't take a 5 minute commercial break, recap the first game end by end, and have a chat before cutting to the other game.
5. Show different camera angles on some mundane shots (blank attempts, easy takeouts, guards). They have an overhead cam from behind the curlers that looks great, but they almost never use it.

02-23-20 02:24PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

TSN has not changed one thing in ten years. Look at golf or even bowling where they track the ball, show speeds and curvature, there are many many things they could do to improve the coverage but they can't be bothered.
They also need better and younger announcers. Cheryl talks a lot but really says nothing, "they need to have a plan", "they need to communicate". And Russ has turned into Ed McMahon, he used to tell Vic when he was wrong, now it's "well you could" when Vic proposes a dumb call.
You want predictable? Unless the game finishes early, at the end they will interview the winning skip for 30 seconds, no interviews with teammates and then Vic will do a 3 minute monologue recapping the week just like they've been doing since 1990.
The morning draws with Cathy and Bryan are way better, they keep it lighter and still are informative.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-23-20 at 03:02PM

02-23-20 04:36PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Best TV broadcast crew were Old Don Wittman paired w/ legendary Donnie Duguid. Wittman was a far more professional and respectful (less double-dealing, puns & moronic jokes than Vic Rotter) who could really inflict drama when drama was called for. Duguid's only mistake was he would occasionally tell the truth and get someone in the curling world all bent outta shape. Colleen Jones holding the flag on the sidelines was as good as it gets.

Now, in fairness to Vic, Old Glenny & Cheryl they have to do 2 draws a day (Brian does the morning draws) and find interesting things to say to fill a 3 hour cast. Not always easy - that's why Vic has to either play stupid or get super cynical and all joked up.

I learned something recently. A piece of information that for once, finally once, I am too damn young to remember.
Johnny Wayne of Wayne And Shuster called, I believe it was called CBC Championship Curling, on Saturday afternoons in1968.
Now he would have been great.

02-23-20 05:09PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

I remember that, dinorock. Did you know that Alex Trebek did the commentary for the show called Keen Ice?

Keen Ice was a sort of skills competition shown weekly; Saturday mornings if I recall. Good times.

02-23-20 05:37PM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
I remember that, dinorock. Did you know that Alex Trebek did the commentary for the show called Keen Ice?

Keen Ice was a sort of skills competition shown weekly; Saturday mornings if I recall. Good times.

Cool!

02-23-20 07:21PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I remember doing national updates on BN from Briers and Worlds. Then I’d hear Bob Picken do his from a few seats down on the media bench and realize what a rank amateur I was in comparison.

02-23-20 07:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

TSN had a great crew when it was vic, ray and linda. those 3 were so good together and linda would call them out and actually had an opinion of her own.

cheryl just goes along with everything rus and vic

rus..he's just not a good commentator. id be interested what a vic and kevin team would be like. kevin is a brilliant commentator for sportsnet.

02-23-20 08:04PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I'm ok most of the time with commentators with both networks. However, they ALL talk way too much. I enjoy listening to the team strategy talk and the weight and line calls during the shot. Isn't that the whole reasoning of putting mics on the players is all about? ALL of the commentators are fighting to get their own voice on the airwaves. Hey,listen to me. But by doing so they talk while they're strategizing, they talk before the shot, they talk through the preshot routine, they talk during the shot they talk after the shot and at times talk over themselves. I'd love to see tsn do trial run at maybe one of the morning draws at the upcoming brier with NO commentators at all, just the players. Even put a Mic on the coach to hear the chatter on the bench.

As said before, less is more.

02-23-20 08:16PM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I'm ok most of the time with commentators with both networks. However, they ALL talk way too much. I enjoy listening to the team strategy talk and the weight and line calls during the shot. Isn't that the whole reasoning of putting mics on the players is all about? ALL of the commentators are fighting to get their own voice on the airwaves. Hey,listen to me. But by doing so they talk while they're strategizing, they talk before the shot, they talk through the preshot routine, they talk during the shot they talk after the shot and at times talk over themselves. I'd love to see tsn do trial run at maybe one of the morning draws at the upcoming brier with NO commentators at all, just the players. Even put a Mic on the coach to hear the chatter on the bench.

As said before, less is more.

I have started watching the new XFL with the mute button on.
It might be something for you to consider.

02-23-20 08:16PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
TSN had a great crew when it was vic, ray and linda. those 3 were so good together and linda would call them out and actually had an opinion of her own.

cheryl just goes along with everything rus and vic

rus..he's just not a good commentator. id be interested what a vic and kevin team would be like. kevin is a brilliant commentator for sportsnet.

I agree with you about Kevin, misty. You never know that he has a son out there when he’s commentating a Bottcher game.

02-23-20 08:29PM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005

Since the broadcast audio is in stereo, they should put commentators on left channel and the players on the right which would allow the viewer to adjust the channel balance to meet their own preference (I really prefer just listening to the players) but I guess some enjoy the witty repartee from Vic, Russ and Cheryl.

02-23-20 09:42PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005

Hitting the mute button would defeat the purpose of wanting to hear the players. Not the incessant cackling of the commentators. I only hit the mute every time someone on team Jones let's the shot go, until the shot is over.

02-24-20 02:53AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by NSCoach

Since the broadcast audio is in stereo, they should put commentators on left channel and the players on the right which would allow the viewer to adjust the channel balance to meet their own preference (I really prefer just listening to the players) but I guess some enjoy the witty repartee from Vic, Russ and Cheryl.

^ Wonderful idea. Simple and likely very easy to implement.

Sadly, it makes far too much sense to actually be done. But who knows... maybe one of these years there will be a pertinent executive with enough common sense to do this.

For the record, I have no problem with any of the commentators on either Canadian network. But it would be nice to have the option mentioned above.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-24-20 at 02:55AM

02-24-20 09:08AM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Hitting the mute button would defeat the purpose of wanting to hear the players. Not the incessant cackling of the commentators. I only hit the mute every time someone on team Jones let's the shot go, until the shot is over.

Since becoming hard of hearing (damn construction) I have started watching TV with the CC on.
It's amazing what a person is able to filter out.
It's also amazing how the person or computer doing the captioning can mess it up.
I get your point about the only wanting to hear the teams communication. The point I will make is that TV will always have people in the booth and us viewers will always find something wrong with their commentating.
I'm not sure about streaming but perhaps a raw, bare feed would be better for some.

04-27-23 10:39PM
emmausa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for emmausa Find more posts by emmausa Add emmausa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emmausa
Knee-Slider

I appreciate you giving this knowledge. I just wanted to let you know that I visited your website and found it to be very interesting and instructive. I'm excited to read a lot of your posts.
slither io