Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > "Ambidextrous" sweepers

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-24-22 02:27PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

"Ambidextrous" sweepers

Sarah Wilkes is "ambidextrous", for lack of better words.

She has left arm lower on the broom when sweeping on the thrower's left side.
https://youtu.be/rD7fb07Ebss?t=23m19s

She has right arm lower on the broom when sweeping on the thrower's right side.
https://youtu.be/rD7fb07Ebss?t=58m21s

The only other sweeper I know that is "ambidextrous" is Emma Miskew.
Left: https://youtu.be/sXuyhwnaHKI?t=7m24s
Right: https://youtu.be/sXuyhwnaHKI?t=10m1s

Are there other "ambidextrous" sweepers in the game?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-24-22 08:39PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I am a club curler and I sweep either side with arm nearest the rock down, body facing the house as I move with the rock. I think it is pretty normal to switch and not a specialty in any way. I wear two grippers, so the slider is not a factor in my sweeping, sometimes keeping the slider in front might make a difference on arm position when a person crosses over.

01-24-22 09:23PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I think it is pretty normal to switch

Can you name a male sweeper from a top-ranked team who is ambidextrous?

Some of the greatest sweepers are not. They only use one arm lower on the broom, so much so that they sometimes wear only one compression arm sleeve.

Example:

Ben Hebert
https://youtu.be/Uhy4FhRrxUM?t=9m55s

Brett Gallant
https://youtu.be/jDjwtgb2gBw?t=57s

01-26-22 07:18AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I was ambidextrous one week when I was in London England. When I walked on the sidewalk, I had to keep looking right instead of left for vehicular traffic.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 01-26-22 at 08:10AM

01-26-22 02:29PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

If no one can name an "ambidextrous" male sweeper, how about an "ambidextrous" thrower? Has there been a notable curler who switched delivery hand in their career? Or maybe switch part way through an event, or heck, within one game?

Switching because they're playing in a left-handers bonspiel doesn't count, but we can also talk about those, preferably if there are photos/videos/stories.

02-08-22 06:52AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Mike Harris mentioned in the 2nd end of the bronze medal game of mixed doubles at 2022 Olympics that Oskar Ericsson and Christoffer Sundgren swapped shoes at a summer curling event in LA. Oskar normally plays left-handed, so swapping shoes with Christoffer effectively means that they played with opposite hands that they normally play with.

Mike Harris did not name this event,. Does anyone know more about it? Are there any photos/videos?

//edit: I'm pretty sure it's the 2017 Hollywood Celebrity Bonspiel. Apparently Oskar and Christoffer were auctioned off for less than $500.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTAtVZdFbJP/

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-08-22 at 07:14AM

02-24-22 09:46AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I've been looking at older photos and found interesting things.

2011 Lisa Weagle sweeps on thrower's RIGHT side with Alison Kreviazuk, LEFT hand lower on broom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seaso...57623887112789/

2013 Lisa Weagle sweeps on thrower's LEFT side with Alison Kreviazuk, RIGHT hand lower on broom

2015 Lisa Weagle sweeps on thrower's RIGHT side with Joanne Courtney, RIGHT hand lower on broom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5hafBqM_o&t=17m57s

If anyone has a photo/video of Lisa Weagle sweeping on thrower's LEFT side with LEFT hand lower on the broom, that would complete the whole set!

Dawn McEwen also switched hand at one point.

2011 Dawn McEwen sweeps on thrower's LEFT side with Jill Officer, RIGHT hand lower on broom

2012 Dawn McEwen sweeps on thrower's LEFT side with Jill Officer, LEFT hand lower on broom

I'm not sure if I would call Lisa Weagle and Dawn McEwen "ambidextrous" sweepers, because while obviously they have swept with either hand lower on the broom throughout their careers, as far as I can tell they don't switch within an end the way Emma Miskew and Sarah Wilkes can.

03-07-22 12:45AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Ben Hebert made a comment/joke that is relevant to this thread.

Tell me you're a curler without telling me you're a curler....
https://twitter.com/TSNCurling/stat...215400839086082
"One side of my body feels like I'm 19, the other side of my body feels like I'm 95..."

It would be interesting to get this assessment from someone like Emma Miskew, who I'm guessing is probably not as lopsided.

03-07-22 06:57PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I am a club curler and I sweep either side with arm nearest the rock down, body facing the house as I move with the rock.

Same here, I figure it's a bit healthier and if an arm/wrist is injured I can still sweep with the other side.

03-07-22 07:18PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by aluchko
Same here, I figure it's a bit healthier and if an arm/wrist is injured I can still sweep with the other side.

What do you think will happen if an elite athlete such as Ben Hebert switches at this point in his career and tries to sweep with his right hand lower on the broom instead of his left hand?

Can he just do it and perhaps let his body recover and not be as lopsided? Or is it too late now and he's stuck with his 19/95 body?

03-07-22 08:18PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

What do you think will happen if an elite athlete such as Ben Hebert switches at this point in his career and tries to sweep with his right hand lower on the broom instead of his left hand?

Can he just do it and perhaps let his body recover and not be as lopsided? Or is it too late now and he's stuck with his 19/95 body?

I think the issue for him would be technique. I've done both sides for years and my dominant arm is still a bit better. Sweeping technique matters a lot and I doubt he could be nearly as effective on the non-dominant side without years of practice.

Perhaps he could alternate at some of the less important events but I'd certainly expect him to stay on his strong side when it mattered.

03-07-22 08:39PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I doubt he could be nearly as effective on the non-dominant side without years of practice.

Can you ballpark a figure on the comparison of his sweeping effectiveness, say as of today?

With absolutely no practice, and assuming Ben Hebert is in his normal healthy condition, if you ask him to switch sweeping hand in the next game, how much worse will his effectiveness be? 25%? 50%? 75%?

This is very unscientific, of course, but I just want to understand what "not nearly as effective on the non-dominant side" means for elite curlers.

03-07-22 08:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I think the issue for him would be technique. I've done both sides for years and my dominant arm is still a bit better. Sweeping technique matters a lot and I doubt he could be nearly as effective on the non-dominant side without years of practice.

Perhaps he could alternate at some of the less important events but I'd certainly expect him to stay on his strong side when it mattered.

STOP. Don’t do it. Don’t get sucked into responding. I’m trying not to. Alas here I respond again to the nonsense. But you’ll just encourage the bs that never ends. Truth is probably 50 posts ago it was explained that 90% of curlers, people who curl, CAN sweep both sides. Are able to sweep both sides. No trouble to sweep both sides. Having said that, many have a “preferred” side. But can still sweep both sides. In the last 4-5 years the emphasis is on one side only sweeping whilst curling. Just put the sweeper on their preferred side. Simple. If both sweepers have the same preferred side, adjust the ice you take accordingly.
Bring on the quotes and clips.

03-08-22 09:59AM
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Can you ballpark a figure on the comparison of his sweeping effectiveness, say as of today?

Uhhh, no idea. But to make up completely arbitrary numbers without any practice I'd say terrible, like 25% or less. Will a bit of practice 75%, and a few years of practice 90%?

Dominant side it probably with your dominant arm as the lower one.

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

STOP. Don’t do it. Don’t get sucked into responding. I’m trying not to. Alas here I respond again to the nonsense. But you’ll just encourage the bs that never ends. Truth is probably 50 posts ago it was explained that 90% of curlers, people who curl, CAN sweep both sides.

We're talking about switching arms not switching sides.

03-08-22 01:58PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
We're talking about switching arms not switching sides.

Well, to be fair, both are interesting to me. If there's a video of Joanne Courtney sweeping on thrower's right side, for example, I would also be interested in watching that.

But yes, per the thread title, I am referring to switching ams/hands when I'm talking about "ambidextrous" sweepers, so I would also be interested if there's a video of Joanne Courtney sweeping with her right hand lower on the broom.

03-08-22 02:27PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Dominant side it probably with your dominant arm as the lower one.

I'm glad you wrote that!

Marc Kennedy is a lefty. He delivers a curling rock with his left hand.
Marc Kennedy sweeps with his right hand/arm lower on the broom.

So what's going on here? Does Marc Kennedy has a dominant left hand, but dominant right arm? Or is he right-dominant as a sweeper only, but left-dominant in everything else in life?

Is his right arm stronger than his left arm now? Has it always been in his entire life, or did that only happen after years of sweeping the way that he does?

Ben Hebert and Joanne Courtney are widely cited as some of the best sweepers in curling. They throw rocks with their right hands, but sweeps with left hands lower on the broom. What's going on here?

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-08-22 at 06:55PM

03-14-22 03:15AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
people who curl, CAN sweep both sides

At the 1v2 game of 2022 Brier, 10th end, BJ's second throw ("Out-turn double peel!"), you can hear John Morris said "I can't sweep on this side!", and Ben Hebert replied "You don't have to!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAO7KxAPL4&t=2h17m5s

Hebert swept that rock on BJ's left side. Morris was on BJ's right side, but he didn't even follow the rock.

It's worth noting that on Team Koe, Morris usually (always?) sweeps on the thrower's left side.

Morris plays mixed doubles, so obviously he can sweep on either side, so I'm really not sure what all of this means.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-14-22 at 04:22AM

03-14-22 04:36PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

I'm glad you wrote that!

Marc Kennedy is a lefty. He delivers a curling rock with his left hand.
Marc Kennedy sweeps with his right hand/arm lower on the broom.

So what's going on here? Does Marc Kennedy has a dominant left hand, but dominant right arm? Or is he right-dominant as a sweeper only, but left-dominant in everything else in life?

Is his right arm stronger than his left arm now? Has it always been in his entire life, or did that only happen after years of sweeping the way that he does?

Ben Hebert and Joanne Courtney are widely cited as some of the best sweepers in curling. They throw rocks with their right hands, but sweeps with left hands lower on the broom. What's going on here?

I can only speak for me, but I throw Right, and am a far better sweeper with left arm closer to the ice when sweeping.
I have found that my weaker arm (the left) when it is high no the broom, lacks the coordination to move the broom back and forth quick enough

04-22-22 02:42PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I asked some questions to Joanne Courtney during her twitter AMA.

In this photo, you can see the difference between Courtney's left arm vs right.

https://twitter.com/JoCourtney89/st...626106467733508
"My left arm (the arm down during sweeping) continues to be out of control!"

https://twitter.com/JoCourtney89/st...568989211152385
"🧐 looks like I’ve always been left arm down! Right hand dominant for sure but 7 year old me thought this form was 🔥"

https://twitter.com/JoCourtney89/st...569365524180994
"Anyone that can switch arms is amazing and a phenomenal athlete. The people that can do this say they did it from the start… I know [Dawn McEwen] made the switch at one point years ago 🤩 It’s like writing with the wrong hand for me. Really really bad."

04-23-22 02:15AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Colin Hodgson claimed that he's an "ambidextrous" sweeper, and I was able to confirm this in footage from mixed doubles.

Here, even though he only wore a single compression sleeve on his left arm, he switches back and forth between both arms during the game, sometimes even during one shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntILKPQ3XoA&t=25m

07-25-23 04:06AM
adamusa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adamusa Find more posts by adamusa Add adamusa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adamusa
Knee-Slider

Reading your post has taught me a lot of new and intriguing things, and I hope you will continue to share fresh content soon. mapquest directions

10-31-23 03:06AM
lilycollins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lilycollins Find more posts by lilycollins Add lilycollins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilycollins
Harvey Hacksmasher

Your paper really fnaf amazed me; it is clear fnaf game that you did a lot of research. I read it and learned so much!

12-12-23 02:28AM
timothyferriss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timothyferriss Find more posts by timothyferriss Add timothyferriss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timothyferriss
Knee-Slider

Some players may simply be comfortable switching hands due to practice and preference, rather than being backpack battles truly ambidextrous. However, their ability to sweep effectively with either hand still offers an advantage in terms of flexibility and positioning.

03-07-24 11:28AM
benchase is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benchase Find more posts by benchase Add benchase to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benchase
Knee-Slider

Kenyan Porn Kutombana nairobi Porn Kenya escorts nairobi escorts nairobiraha