Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-25-22 02:30AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Wow, Hokkaido Bank is for real. They just stole 4 against Fujikyu! Fortuis is having their way with Loco Solare as well. Fujisawa's team probably has enough wins in the bank to assure getting through to the playoffs regardless, but I don't know if any other team can say that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-25-22 07:14PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Predicting Hokkaido Bank, Loco Solare, Fortius and Chubu Electric Power for the playoffs in the womens. On the mens, I’m going with SC Karuizawa Club, Sapporo International University, Consodole and Tokoro Junior…

05-25-22 07:29PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Unlike the Olympics, Japan Nationals playoffs give a big advantage to those that finish first and second in round robin play over those that finish third and fourth.

The first and second place teams play each other, with the winner going directly to the finals, and the loser playing the winner of the game between the third and fourth place teams for the other spot.

So the first and second place teams need only win twice to win Nationals, and can also afford to lose the first game, while the third and fourth place teams must win three straight.

In the men's side, SC Karuizawa and Sapporo International University are both undefeated, and Consadole have already lost to both teams, so Consadole will likely have to take that difficult path if they are to repeat as champions. Tokoro Jr. also have two losses, but still have a game remaining with SC Karuizawa, so Tokoro Jr. still has a plausible path to a top two finish.

The women's side is much more wide open. Loco Solare and Hokkaido Bank both have only one loss, both teams sole defeat coming at the hands of Fortuis. But Fortuis has already lost twice to other teams, and Chubu Electric has lost twice as well. So the winner of today's Loco Solare vs Hokkaido Bank game will have the edge on the top spot, but places two through four may well end up being decided through DSC.

Last edited by hailstone on 05-25-22 at 07:47PM

05-25-22 08:22PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

I don't understand how they decide which games get the full coverage and commentary, and which get the still camera and no sound treatment. Maybe they want to give focus to teams that otherwise wouldn't have it, but even with more palatable coverage, Fujikyu and Sapporo Association game is getting about a tenth of the viewers of Loco Solare and Hokkaido Bank.

05-25-22 09:38PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I too was wondering how it's chosen who gets what coverage. The one thing I'm missing in this coverage is a chat option though I suppose with three or four feeds going on at once, moderating could be a challenge.

05-25-22 09:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
Unlike the Olympics, Japan Nationals playoffs give a big advantage to those that finish first and second in round robin play over those that finish third and fourth.

The first and second place teams play each other, with the winner going directly to the finals, and the loser playing the winner of the game between the third and fourth place teams for the other spot.

So the first and second place teams need only win twice to win Nationals, and can also afford to lose the first game, while the third and fourth place teams must win three straight.

In the men's side, SC Karuizawa and Sapporo International University are both undefeated, and Consadole have already lost to both teams, so Consadole will likely have to take that difficult path if they are to repeat as champions. Tokoro Jr. also have two losses, but still have a game remaining with SC Karuizawa, so Tokoro Jr. still has a plausible path to a top two finish.

The women's side is much more wide open. Loco Solare and Hokkaido Bank both have only one loss, both teams sole defeat coming at the hands of Fortuis. But Fortuis has already lost twice to other teams, and Chubu Electric has lost twice as well. So the winner of today's Loco Solare vs Hokkaido Bank game will have the edge on the top spot, but places two through four may well end up being decided through DSC.

A few things. Sounds similar to the page playoff. Why wouldn’t you give an advantage to top 2 teams vs 3-4? They won more. They deserve it. 1v 2 winner to final. 2 play winner 3v 4. Makes perfect sense. As for which team gets online/tv time, combo winners/most popular/biggest sponsor money. It’s all about the money, money money.

Me, I love it when an unexpected team wins. All about the underdog.

Way too much behind the scenes bs for me. Let the games on the ice decide the winners.

05-25-22 10:11PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Shot of the tournament by Fujisawa just now, a tough double to turn a steal of one into a big end of 5 for the win!

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I too was wondering how it's chosen who gets what coverage. The one thing I'm missing in this coverage is a chat option though I suppose with three or four feeds going on at once, moderating could be a challenge.

If you like chatting, check out Ofuku Curling TV channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_DfC0eqs4

Usually he's onhand providing commentary as well, but on days like this where he is providing coverage to other channels, he still opens up a session to allow subscribers to chat.

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Sounds similar to the page playoff. Why wouldn’t you give an advantage to top 2 teams vs 3-4? They won more. They deserve it. 1v 2 winner to final. 2 play winner 3v 4. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not against this playoff system, just pointing out how it differs from other world competitions (don't know why worlds changed to a straight four team single elimination format)

Also, you can't really say "they won more" if positions are decided by DSC.

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Me, I love it when an unexpected team wins. All about the underdog.

Generally I too root for the underdog, but in this case they become the national representative, which can lead to disasterous consequences, like Tokoro Jr. failing to qualify a team for Worlds this season. So for Nationals, I prefer the strong to be strong.

05-25-22 11:30PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

On the women's side, Fujikyu kindly pulled themselves out of contention today with a loss to lower competition, so the playoff teams are likely set. Loco Solare will likely be #1, having only one loss and two remaining games that they should win handily. The next three positions are currently a Mexican standoff, with Chubu Electric defeating Fortuis, Fortuis defeating Hokkaido Bank, Hokkaido Bank defeating Chubu Electric, and all three teams with two losses. And they've all finished playing each other, so unless there is an upset, positioning will come down to DSC, which I have not been able to find the current results of.

Edit: I found the LSDs for each game. Based on my calculations, I think Fortuis has a significant advantage over Hokkaido Bank and Chubu Electric in DSC at the moment.

Last edited by hailstone on 05-26-22 at 12:08AM

05-26-22 12:37AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

SC Karuizawa men's team is the first to clinch a spot in the playoffs.

Consadole vs Team Ishimura is the television match today. Team Ishimura has three losses, so if Consadole loses this game, then they will also have three losses and would lose the tiebreaker to Team Ishimura, making it possible for Consadole to miss the playoffs altogether.

Fun fact: Team Ishimura has two Ishimuras on it. They aren't just brothers, they're twins!

Last edited by hailstone on 05-26-22 at 12:39AM

05-26-22 03:35AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Looks like I was worried about the wrong team. Consadole won handily, but Tokoro Jr. lost a nailbiter on the final shot to hometown team Kitami Association.

With that, both SC Karuizawa and Sapporo International University have both locked up the #1 and #2 spots in the men's playoff. Consadole is alone in third with two losses, and Tokoro Jr. drops down with Kitami Association to three losses. But they both have tough matches ahead, so we may even see a team with four losses advance.

05-26-22 07:28AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Fantastic job by Philoseek Aomori, taking this match with Loco Solare to the final end down by only a point, albeit without the hammer. Truly an effort to be proud of, even if it will ultimately fall short.

Every other women's match is proceeding to plan. Unless a major upset happens tomorrow, it will be a DSC battle for #2.

05-26-22 08:06AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Well, just to make me look like a fool, SC Karuizawa shocked the world with a steal of two in the final end to defeat Fortuis. It wasn't a particularly clever steal of two; SC Karuizawa had two stones in the house with zero guards, and Yoshimura simply failed to eliminate them with her final shot.

So, the scourge of DSC has been avoided. Loco Solare is assured of first place with one loss and wins over both of their nearest competitors. Chubu Electric and Hokkaido Bank are one behind with two losses, with Hokkaido Bank holding the tiebreaker based on their head to head win. And Fortuis, who once had the inside track on the valuable #2 spot, now needs to pray for Loco Solare to care enough to defeat SC Karuizawa to get the fourth spot.

Although Loco Solare would never, ever intentionally throw a match, I don't think they would be too broken up over not having to face Fortuis again.

Last edited by hailstone on 05-26-22 at 08:08AM

05-26-22 07:05PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Fujisawa's double for 5 yesterday, which changed the situation from tied after 7 to a concession victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4BA3tbRSY

05-26-22 11:21PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What happened here?

https://twitter.com/maroon_azalea/s...811187516309505

Google Translate seems to suggest that the pin was blocked for some reason, so they had to drill a new hole in the middle of the game to perform a measurement. Which game was this? Can someone link to the video?

05-27-22 12:10AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Looks like it happened at the end of the eighth end of the Fortuis vs SC Karuizawa game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fueLCs0igiQ

05-27-22 01:58AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Against all odds, Philoseek Aomori is maintaining their sliver of hope as they are leading Fujikyu at the halfway point. Furthermore, Loco Solare is beating SC Karuizawa by a comfortable margin and, most surprisingly, Fortuis is losing to Sapporo Association. If they all hold up, then SC Karuizawa, Fortuis, and Philoseek Aomori would all finish with four losses and a 1-1 record with each other, bringing DSC back. I have no idea who would win that, but Philoseek Aomori's LSD numbers to date have not been that bad.

05-27-22 02:23AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Looks like it happened at the end of the eighth end of the Fortuis vs SC Karuizawa game

Timestamped link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fueLCs0igiQ&t=2h42m3s

MatsuriFes drew a cartoon of the situation: https://twitter.com/MatsuriFes/stat...845873517424641

05-27-22 03:19AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

SC Karuizawa has lost to Loco Solare, but Philoseek Aomori has defeated Fujikyu, and Fortuis is tied with Sapporo Association at the end of regulation, and Sapporo Association has the hammer.

If Sapporo Association pulls it out, we will see what the result of the DSC will be.

Edit: Actually, according to another chat, Fortuis has the lead in DSC, so it seems that they will have the fourth spot regardless.

05-27-22 03:35AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Sapporo Association draws to the button to get the win, so Fortuis ends up backing into the final playoff spot with a 4-4 record via DSC.

Philoseek Aomori ended up playing the spoiler, as SC Karuizawa would have advanced had Fujikyu defeated them.

So it will be Loco Solare and Hokkaido Bank playing for a spot in the finals, with the losers playing the winner of Chubu Electric and Fortuis match for the other spot.

Fujikyu ends up finishing eighth out of nine teams. Even without their skip, I did not expect them to fare that badly.

Last edited by hailstone on 05-27-22 at 03:43AM

05-27-22 07:55AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Something you don't see often in a national curling competition: a team consulting with their opponent about what shot they could play.

Team Tokyo was down 4-2 with the hammer in the final end against Sapporo International University. Team Tokyo was lying one right on the button, but an SIU stone was frozen to it on one side, and on their last shot, the froze another rock on the other side. Team Tokyo was discussing how on earth they could possibly get their two in this situation, and though I'm not sure who initiated the contact, eventually SIU joined in and they all had a rather spirited conversation about it, which was funny to see.

Eventually Team Tokyo decided it was impossible and conceded the match without throwing their last stone.

Team Tokyo was playing a practice game on the ice next to me in Karuizawa, during my sole hour of curling experience, and expressed concern when I tripped over the hack, so I was happy to see them enjoying themselves out there.

05-27-22 08:11AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

The men's SC Karuizawa continue their undefeated run with a win over Tokoro Jr., who fell to four losses with Kitami Association, who got the fourth spot by virtue of their head to head victory. Tough showing for last year's runner-up's, especially while playing on home ice.

So tomorrow's matches are:

9:00am
Men:
(1) SC Karuizawa vs (2) Sapporo International University
(3) Consadore vs (4) Kitami Association

Women:
(1) Loco Solare vs (2) Hokkaido Bank
(3) Chubu Electric vs (4) Fortuis

3:00pm:
Men: Loser of (1)-(2) vs Winner of (3)-(4)

Women: Loser of (1)-(2) vs Winner of (3)-(4)

Last edited by hailstone on 05-27-22 at 07:12PM

05-27-22 09:48PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Five consecutive blank ends in the Consadole vs Kitami Association match. Think that's a record for any match I've ever followed.

Last edited by hailstone on 05-27-22 at 10:14PM

05-27-22 11:10PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

SC Karuizawa's 15 match winning streak ended at the worst possible time, as they dropped their playoff game to Sapporo International University in an extra end. To get to a rubber match, SC Karuizawa will need to defeat Consadole, who eked out a 5-4 win over Kitami Association, thanks in part to blanking literally half of the game, with zero points scored from ends 3 through 7.

Loco Solare advanced to the women's final without too much trouble over Hokkaido Bank. Chubu Electric absolutely humbled Fortuis 12-2 to face Hokkaido Bank in this afternoon's semi-final. Seems like a changing of the guard is at hand, as Fortuis and Fujikyu, two of the supposed "Big 4", both finished Nationals with a losing record.

05-28-22 03:06AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by FleuryFan
the winner of this event will rep Japan at the newly created Pan-Continental Cup next season

So just to be clear, assuming Japan qualifies for 2023 Worlds, will there be another championship to decide who goes then?

To put it another way, am I correct that 2022 winners go to 2022 Pan-Continental, and 2023 winners go to 2023 Worlds if Japan qualifies?

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-28-22 at 03:08AM

05-28-22 05:06AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
They definitely picked the right game to televise, but it was essentially a practice game, as I'm 90% sure these two teams will be playing in the finals.

It was a lot more dramatic than I expected, but they got there in the end. Chubu Electric defeated Hokkaido Bank to reach the expected final against Loco Solare. Because Hokkaido Bank did not reach the final, that means both Hokkaido Bank and Fortuis must compete in the Hokkaido block for the single spot in next year's Nationals.

On the men's side, SC Karuizawa will get one more chance at Sapporo International University in the final, after a gritty come-from-behind win over Consadole, made possible by a runback double takeout by Yamaguchi in the final end.