Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Brazil & Mexico against Canada for a 2022 mens worlds bertha

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-06-21 08:28PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Brazil & Mexico against Canada for a 2022 mens worlds bertha

well this should be fun to watch.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...berth-1.6201559

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-06-21 11:35PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Doubt it will be televised. Interesting that Bottcher is doing it in the lead up to the trial.

10-08-21 07:00PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, I'm kind of worried about injuries when a team has to play in an event like this. It's low stakes for Team Bottcher, although obviously high stakes for Canada.

I think they should just send, say Jacques Gauthier's team (who did not qualify for pre-trial, but is the reigning World Junior champion), maybe with Bottcher as backup skip.

10-08-21 11:05PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

And chance losing the Olympic spot? Crazy!! To quote McEnroe, “You can not be serious”! Remember last time Canada was challenged it was Glen Howard that represented. They played off during or just before the Continental Cup in London On. Why even suggest a team with limited if any international, even national experience to defend an Olympic spot. Even his mom is saying oooohhh really. If not the Canadian champ to defend their spot, then who? How about the club champ from 2019? Good gravy man. Go back and read your post again.

10-09-21 01:27PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

When BRA and MEX challenged USA in 2019, they sent Ruohonen/Persinger, who won all games. Format was double round robin. Scores weren't even close.

https://results.worldcurling.org/Ch...hip/Details/673

Glenn Howard vs BRA in 2018 was also not even close, easily winning all 3 of best-of-5 series.

In the history of the Challenge, USA has not ever lost a single game, in Men's or Women's.

https://results.worldcurling.org/Record/HeadToHead/31

USA vs BRA is 16+5=21 wins, no losses.
USA vs MEX is 2+2=4 wins, no losses.

I highly doubt that CAN vs BRA vs MEX double round robin is competitive even if CAN handicaps themselves by sending lower ranked team.

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
And chance losing the Olympic spot?

This Challenge is for a berth to 2022 World Men's. 2022 has no Olympic points for 2026. This event has zero impact on Canada's spot at the Olympics.

Last edited by curlingclips on 10-09-21 at 01:56PM

10-09-21 02:40PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
a ban on foreigners curling in Canada

Wow. Just wow. I guess your xenophobia gets in the way of wanting to see the best curling possible.
Europe has so many spots in the worlds as does Asia and they have point system/playdowns to determine who goes. Why shouldn't N&S America have the same? In a few years we may see playdowns and I say bring it on. It will develop curling in SA, sure they are getting pounded now but over time that may change. Canada does not deserve a free pass based upon ancient past domination.

10-09-21 02:58PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Why shouldn't N&S America have the same?

FYI this Americas Challenge is the last of its kind. WCF created the new Pan-Continental playdown, dissolving the Americas Challenge and the Pacific-Asia championship, and basically also inviting Africa into the mix.

https://worldcurling.org/2021/09/pccc-introduction/

10-09-21 08:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
[B]P
Kind of strange that we host all the pro bums from other countries for 50 years and then we get challenged for our spot in he worlds in vegas

Wow wow wow, Sense of entitlement or what? Where do you think all "Canadian soccer players or basketball players" honed their craft??

10-09-21 10:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

This site needs a like button. I guess I was mistaken earlier about this latest America’s challenge being about this Olympics, however, why wouldn’t team Bottcher want a few extra games leading up to the trials for these upcoming Olympics in these times of much fewer spiels..... Play against teams trying to qualify AND being paid by CC to do so. Why not? Why would Canada want a 20-30-40th place team compete? AND curling clips, why do you always make a post, then wait for responses, and then jump on anyone that has an answer with ten quotes and links to try and support your original reply? Why? Show me 10 more links why they shouldn’t. Extra games leading into to by far the toughest Olympic trials in the world to win, is best for the team and the country. Why crap all over it? I welcome Bottcher or any top 5 team accepting the challenge. Go Canada Go.

10-09-21 11:54PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

If Team Bottcher truly wants to play 4 games against BRA and MEX, that's fine by me. Personally I think playing games against top tier competition is probably better (quality over quantity), but that's just my personal feeling.

I think if you ask Team Bottcher a few months ago what their planned schedule was heading up to the trials, they wouldn't include this event in their calendar. That's just an educated guess on my part, I can't prove that claim, but I think most people would agree with me on that.

Top athletes usually schedule their season thoughtfully, including recovery periods, etc., so playing these extra games adds wear and tear to athletes, risking injuries. Also, since we're still in the pandemic, there's always a risk of exposure to COVID, especially since I believe at least some of the challengers are internationally flying into CAN.

I'm a fan of Team Bottcher, hence why I find their participation in this event in an Olympic season a bit concerning, given the risk vs reward ratio.

Ultimately I do believe Jacques Gauthier can handle the challenge just fine. They are the reigning World Champions, after all (and Jacques himself is 2x gold medalist). Maybe you prefer some other team instead, and that's fine. I just picked Gauthier because, as far as I know, they're out of the Olympics run for this cycle (i.e. they're not in the pre-trial/trial).

Last edited by curlingclips on 10-10-21 at 12:38AM

10-26-21 03:14PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

I wonder if the WCF would ever seriously run the risk of having a worlds without Canada? While there are several prominent teams in world curling today outside Canada. They couldn't afford the massive bail of sponsorship and revenue that would be experienced by Canada not being there.
JH

10-26-21 05:14PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Whereabouts is the linescore for this event? Not finding it on CZ or on WCF page

10-26-21 05:22PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Whereabouts is the linescore for this event? Not finding it on CZ or on WCF page

It’s on the curling Canada website…

10-26-21 06:43PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

It’s on the curling Canada website…

Thanks, kept looking in all the wrong places.

10-26-21 09:20PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Thanks, kept looking in all the wrong places.

No worries…I wonder if the US women have to play any teams from Brazil or Mexico?

10-26-21 10:58PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

^no. No americas team challenged on the womens side

10-27-21 04:29PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
I wonder if the WCF would ever seriously run the risk of having a worlds without Canada? While there are several prominent teams in world curling today outside Canada. They couldn't afford the massive bail of sponsorship and revenue that would be experienced by Canada not being there.
JH

Not really. Canada is leagues beyond the other teams. Team Howard, the 8th best team in the country, played Brazil 3 years ago and he was always in control. The best chance for Canada to miss out at Worlds would be a last place finish from USA or Canada at a Worlds in Canada. And even then, I'd be surprised that it would happen.

10-27-21 06:40PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Timing of new championship

Does this mean that this will be like the Euro championships? i.e. that the 2022 Canadian champ will compete in this event to qualify Canada and then the winner of the 2023 Brier will be the one going to the 2023 worlds. I assume this will be held during the time period of the provincial playdowns so it will give the defending Canadian champions an event to allow them to keep sharp instead of sitting around while the provincials are played. With the inclusion of the U.S.A., Korea, Japan and China that would make these teams plus Canada as favourites but wouldn't take much of a slip=up to drop one of them out of the worlds.

10-29-21 01:49AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Re: Timing of new championship

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
Does this mean that this will be like the Euro championships? i.e. that the 2022 Canadian champ will compete in this event to qualify Canada and then the winner of the 2023 Brier will be the one going to the 2023 worlds. I assume this will be held during the time period of the provincial playdowns so it will give the defending Canadian champions an event to allow them to keep sharp instead of sitting around while the provincials are played. With the inclusion of the U.S.A., Korea, Japan and China that would make these teams plus Canada as favourites but wouldn't take much of a slip=up to drop one of them out of the worlds.

No that would mean the Asia-Pacific championship merging with the American qualifier. Right now, I'd say Canada or the US' best change to miss Worlds would be for one of them to finish last at Worlds so the second American spot is not guaranteed meaning that they would have to qualify through the world qualification event. And the European and Asian teams there are better than Brazil and Mexico right now. However, if they lose a spot, that direct spot would go to a country that would have played in the qualification event, so even then, They'd be massive favourites to qualify.

10-29-21 08:47AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Spot not guaranteed

According to the WCF article there will not be a guaranteed spot for any Americas team. 7 competitors will come from the Europeans, 5 from this pan-continental with the 13th being from the strongest finisher in the previous worlds from the two championships. They do not mention any guaranteed Americas teams. At least that is the way it reads to me.

Last edited by Curlwalker on 10-29-21 at 09:06AM

10-29-21 10:36AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Spot not guaranteed

quote:
According to the WCF article there will not be a guaranteed spot for any Americas team. 7 competitors will come from the Europeans, 5 from this pan-continental with the 13th being from the strongest finisher in the previous worlds from the two championships. They do not mention any guaranteed Americas teams. At least that is the way it reads to me.

There should be 3-4 spots from North America. 2 from Canada , 1 from the states and 1 extra for any host country.

10-29-21 10:50AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Spot not guaranteed

quote:
Originally posted by guido

There should be 3-4 spots from North America. 2 from Canada , 1 from the states and 1 extra for any host country.

As long as anti-Canada Cate is in charge that won’t happen

10-29-21 04:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Is this being streamed? Any links?

10-29-21 09:07PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Yes, steaming can be found on the Lacombe Curling Club FB page

10-30-21 11:30AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Spot not guaranteed

quote:

Americas teams play in the Pan-Continental Championship. The event is guaranteed 5 spots at worlds.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!