Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-28-12 04:21PM
shabbabanx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shabbabanx Click here to Send shabbabanx a Private Message Find more posts by shabbabanx Add shabbabanx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shabbabanx
Knee-Slider

Which turn?

Can anyone out there in curling land provide some advice on the advantages of throwing one turn or another in certain hitting situations? I've heard some experienced curlers say that choosing one handle over another (assuming both options are available for a shot) can result in:

1. the shooter bouncing 'in a lively fashion' off the target rock - I assume this means that the shooter will travel farther form the point of impact
2. the ability to hit a flatter double
3. more power staying with the shooter or transferring to the target rock
4. dragging the target rock to the left or right if the ice is swingy
5. in 'tap' situations, having the target rock take the opposite handle
6. Easier to hit a rock / call sweeping on the 'high side'

I can never seem to keep it straight which turn results in outcome. Any and all advice welcome.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-28-12 11:38PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

In regards to #4, are you talking about the "drag effect" in which two rocks are frozen together or sweeping techniques for finishing/holding a shooter straight?

If it is the former, I suggest some light reading from Bill Tschirhart (http://www.hotshotscurling.com/reso..._guide_DRAG.pdf)

If it is the later, the following is my understanding:
-It is generally accepted that a sweeper's downstroke (push motion) is stronger than his/her pull motion.
-It is also known that the sweeper closer to the rock has more affect than the sweeper further away.
-Thus the sweeper closer to the rock should be using his/her downstroke to affect the rock path
-If a clockwise handle (rightie's inturn) is thrown, the sweeper on the right (of the thrower) will hold the rock straighter with his/her downstroke close to the rock. To make the rock curl/finish the sweeper on the left should use his/her downstroke close to the rock.
-This is why you hear some teams say 'switch'. It is to utilize the stronger downstroke close to the rock in order to make a rock finish. Usually the first half of the rock's path is swept to keep it straight.
-Think downstroke against rotation to hold straight and downstroke with rotation to make curl.

Please let me know if this makes sense. I will reply to your other points as time allows.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.33.84.32

12-29-12 12:04AM
atticus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for atticus Click here to Send atticus a Private Message Find more posts by atticus Add atticus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
atticus
Knee-Slider

generally throwing outside in will stay straigter and be easier for a skip to read. my explanation for 1 and 2 may be hard to understand, but if the shooter curls into the rock your hitting, the angle that the shooters bounce will take will be deeper and more lively. if your shooter curls "across the top" of the rock and hits the same spot, the angle will be deader and flatter

12-29-12 09:32AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
In regards to #4, are you talking about the "drag effect" in which two rocks are frozen together or sweeping techniques for finishing/holding a shooter straight?

Thanks for the response - great info on the sweeper switching technique.

I am familiar with the drag effect for frozen or nearly frozen stones.

#4 (not very well described by me) is referring to a comment that a fairly experienced skip made to be where when you need to run a stone straight back (no frozen rocks involved), and the ice is swingy enough to cause the shooter to curl, that you may need to make contact slightly past nose to make it perfectly straight. I have not observed that affect myself, but I'm curious if it rings any bells with others.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.100.75.159

12-29-12 09:40AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by atticus
generally throwing outside in will stay straigter and be easier for a skip to read. my explanation for 1 and 2 may be hard to understand, but if the shooter curls into the rock your hitting, the angle that the shooters bounce will take will be deeper and more lively. if your shooter curls "across the top" of the rock and hits the same spot, the angle will be deader and flatter

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand the comment. So if you're trying to make a very flat double with the shooter contacting both opposition rocks, you may need to broom outside of the two stones (rather than in between) and have the shooter come cross the nose of the first rock to get a slightly flatter trajectory.

Alternatively if you need a big roll on the shooter you may want to consider hitting the target rock on the 'high side' (broom side) of the rock to get a livelier bounce rather than calling the other turn and crossing nose? High side may also have the advantage of being easier to hit.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.100.75.159

12-29-12 10:22PM
Unregistered

A note on terms:

The "high side" is generally known as the side of the rock the broom is on. (ie: the side know as the "high side" will change depending on what turn you choose)

-It is generally easier to call line for the straighter turn. This is generally the outside-in turn.

-It is correct that a rock thrown "into" the target rock as opposed to across the face will have a livelier roll as it will keep more rotation(or pick up more).

-In order to get a flatter roll or double, it is generally advisable to throw across the face (broom outside stone instead of between the stones you are trying to double out). However, as previously stated, there is generally less momentum to carry the second rock out if you come across the face.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.33.84.32

12-30-12 08:13AM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

The abilities of the thrower will determine which turn you take as well. Also ice conditions. For example, if my thrower "flicks" his/her outturn outside and the ice conditions are straight, I might not use that turn. The bottom line with any turn you choose is the percentage of liklihood your thrower will make that shot. Only on occasion will you choose a turn based on drag, lively reaction, etc. My 2 cents...best of luck!

JH

01-03-13 05:35PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

#4 (not very well described by me) is referring to a comment that a fairly experienced skip made to be where when you need to run a stone straight back (no frozen rocks involved), and the ice is swingy enough to cause the shooter to curl, that you may need to make contact slightly past nose to make it perfectly straight. I have not observed that affect myself, but I'm curious if it rings any bells with others.

There are a couple of factors here such as how much distance there is between the rock that is being raised and the target rock but essentially what the experienced skip was alluding to was the fact that the rock that is raised will pick up the opposite turn of the shooter after contact. That being said, I think you would actually want to undercurl the original contact so that the raised rock could curl back to the target rock after the raise. Overcurling the initial contact would make the straight back raise on swingy ice more difficult.

04-20-23 10:43PM
emmaorabelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for emmaorabelle Find more posts by emmaorabelle Add emmaorabelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emmaorabelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hi

Choosing which handle to throw in curling can definitely have an impact on the outcome of the shot.
Bouncing 'in a lively fashion' off the target rock: Generally, throwing an out-turn (clockwise rotation for a right-handed curler) will result in more movement of the shooter rock after it hits the target rock. This is because the out-turn will cause the shooter rock to spin in a clockwise direction, which will push it away from the target rock.
Ability to hit a flatter double: Throwing an in-turn (counter-clockwise rotation for a right-handed curler) can be advantageous in hitting a flatter double because it tends to run straighter and will not curl as much as an out-turn. bluey

04-21-23 03:06AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

I think this bot needs to learn what an out-turn and an in-turn are.. out-turns for a right handed curler are counter clockwise, and vice versa for the in-turn..