Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-29-14 09:53PM
ManitobaJunior is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ManitobaJunior Click here to Send ManitobaJunior a Private Message Find more posts by ManitobaJunior Add ManitobaJunior to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ManitobaJunior
Knee-Slider

Off Season Workouts

Anyone have any off season workouts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-30-14 11:29AM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

I've found that a LOT of bicycle riding is helpful, both from a cardio point of view and strengthening knees and thighs. Supplement with weight-lifting to help with sweeping.

05-01-14 03:50PM
Tyler.gamble is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tyler.gamble Click here to Send Tyler.gamble a Private Message Find more posts by Tyler.gamble Add Tyler.gamble to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tyler.gamble
Knee-Slider

One great source is Johnny Mo and Dean Gemmell's book "Fit to Curl" if you can get your hands on it.

If you are going to the gym and weight training, focus on higher reps (12-15)and keeping solid form (no body swings when doing arm curls!!!!). the reason for the higher reps is you want to focus more on the power and endurance side than the strength side. It's great to be able to bench 400lbs but it doesn't do you much good if you can only do it once! Focus on triceps, chest, back, core, quads and hamstrings. Incorporate some yoga if you can to work on the stability portion (core, quads, and hammy's).

Remember to do some interval cardio, along with long cardio sessions, to mimic sweeping: full out for 20-30 seconds, then rest for 1-2 minutes, repeat over and over. and over. and over. and... well you get the point. Eventually try and make the full out portion longer and rest intervals shorter.

And STRETCH!!!! Especially on leg day... I hate leg days....

05-02-14 11:12PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler.gamble
One great source is Johnny Mo and Dean Gemmell's book "Fit to Curl" if you can get your hands on it.

If you are going to the gym and weight training, focus on higher reps (12-15)and keeping solid form (no body swings when doing arm curls!!!!). the reason for the higher reps is you want to focus more on the power and endurance side than the strength side. It's great to be able to bench 400lbs but it doesn't do you much good if you can only do it once! Focus on triceps, chest, back, core, quads and hamstrings. Incorporate some yoga if you can to work on the stability portion (core, quads, and hammy's).

Remember to do some interval cardio, along with long cardio sessions, to mimic sweeping: full out for 20-30 seconds, then rest for 1-2 minutes, repeat over and over. and over. and over. and... well you get the point. Eventually try and make the full out portion longer and rest intervals shorter.

And STRETCH!!!! Especially on leg day... I hate leg days....

After slacking off most of last year, I'm back grinding away at the gym again. Leg day was yesterday for me... and I don't think I stretched quite enough. Ugh, I'm feeling every little bit of mileage on this body today. No cardio today!

Fit to Curl is out of print unfortunately, and while they've been talking about a 2nd edition, nothing has come out yet.

I alternate between strength (low reps) and endurance (higher reps). Earlier in my summer fitness sessions I do like to work a bit more on my strength, and then switch up to more endurance related training later in the summer. It all depends on what you need to focus on though.

Cardio for me is mixture of interval training (like described above... there are lots of different types of interval training, with High Intensity Interval Training or Tabata training being some of the more popular), and I toss in some pure endurance training as well (I enjoy running and biking).

I'm trying to be on the weights 4 times a week, and doing cardio around 3-4 depending on schedule. If I have a day where I have a cardio and weight session planned, I try to do one in the morning before work (cardio normally for me), and the other after work.

And take a rest day at least once a week, and do some flexibility and stretching exercises too... some types of yoga are great for that, but there are other options.

Weight sessions I try to split up to chest/biceps, back/triceps, shoulders and abs, legs (I keep legs separate... they're bad enough as it is), and usually add an extra core/abs session with one of my cardio days. Most workouts I can get done in about an hour or so...

I'm always looking for good balance drills though if anyone has suggestions (I do some stuff on the Bosu and balance board but I'm always looking for more ideas).

05-05-14 01:41PM
thejackhammer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thejackhammer Click here to Send thejackhammer a Private Message Find more posts by thejackhammer Add thejackhammer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thejackhammer
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
I've found that a LOT of bicycle riding is helpful, both from a cardio point of view and strengthening knees and thighs. Supplement with weight-lifting to help with sweeping.

riding the bike without lifting doesnt do much help.
Biking without lifting is like Yin without Yang, like the Winter Olympics without curling, like Jordan without Pippen, like Bruce Springsteen without the E Street Band

Rock On Bruh.

"Curling is more than a fantastic and a physically challenging sport, it is how I live."
-Barack Obama (The King of Curl)

05-05-14 02:23PM
El Diablo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Diablo Click here to Send El Diablo a Private Message Find more posts by El Diablo Add El Diablo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Diablo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Obvious

Guys, we seem to have overlooked the obvious choice: ice Hockey! It's a great way to stay in shape and keep on the ice. I know it is a *bit* more aggressive, but you can take out some curling frustration I'm sure we all have deep down for loving a sport that PEOPLE DON'T RESPECT! Sorry, that was a bit emotional...

05-05-14 03:00PM
thejackhammer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thejackhammer Click here to Send thejackhammer a Private Message Find more posts by thejackhammer Add thejackhammer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thejackhammer
Hitting Paint

Re: Obvious

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo
Guys, we seem to have overlooked the obvious choice: ice Hockey! It's a great way to stay in shape and keep on the ice. I know it is a *bit* more aggressive, but you can take out some curling frustration I'm sure we all have deep down for loving a sport that PEOPLE DON'T RESPECT! Sorry, that was a bit emotional...

Would you really want to risk pulling an ACL and/or MCL playing hockey? I see its benefits, but the cons outweigh the pros.

I suggest squats as well

Rock On Bruh.

"Curling is more than a fantastic and a physically challenging sport, it is how I live."
-Barack Obama (The King of Curl)

05-06-14 06:09PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

So I guess that answers my question on what people do in-season other than curling. Maybe playing soccer and hockey isn't such a good winter conditioning activity for curling

05-06-14 06:22PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by VAcurler
So I guess that answers my question on what people do in-season other than curling. Maybe playing soccer and hockey isn't such a good winter conditioning activity for curling

It all depends on how serious you are about your curling. I love contact sports (played rugby for a very long time, and I enjoyed lacing up the skates), but you're increasing your risk of injury if you do. But if you love those sports and your not as serious about your curling... well, why not?

At the same time, you can hurt yourself at the gym or running, biking or whatever else you may do. But the risk of injury is lower if you learn how to lift and exercise properly (I shudder watching some people lifting weights... ugh), and take a few common sense precautions.

05-08-14 01:04PM
Curling_Dad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling_Dad Click here to Send Curling_Dad a Private Message Find more posts by Curling_Dad Add Curling_Dad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling_Dad
Harvey Hacksmasher

In all honesty the best workouts are the ones that you wake up feeling like a champion after, an incredibly sore champion. I believe that squat jumps, calf raises, a light speed walk, and a cup of orange juice is the most substantial workout that a successful curling athlete can workout.

05-12-14 10:35AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtra_chromosome

quote:
Originally posted by Curling_Dad
In all honesty the best workouts are the ones that you wake up feeling like a champion after, an incredibly sore champion. I believe that squat jumps, calf raises, a light speed walk, and a cup of orange juice is the most substantial workout that a successful curling athlete can workout.

I wish i had your motivation, instead, my offseason workouts are lkasjdgflksdhj;kj;;l'fd ... sorry, my head hit the keyboard. but anyways, i juhyst WORK On my core. dee @b$ 4 da l@d1es

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 199.85.84.237

05-13-14 12:10PM
InTheHouse247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for InTheHouse247 Click here to Send InTheHouse247 a Private Message Find more posts by InTheHouse247 Add InTheHouse247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InTheHouse247
Knee-Slider

Post Great offseason workout

I tend to focus a lot of my free time looking for fun off-season curling-related activities. My personal favorite is a wholesome game of Bocce Ball! It's a good physical workout if played right, and it always keeps me focused on the mental aspect of curling. I hope this helps everyone

05-15-14 11:27AM
brianewart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brianewart Find more posts by brianewart Add brianewart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianewart
Harvey Hacksmasher

Personally, I like to work on a couple of key strength movements: Squat, Deadlift, overhead press and clean. I only really do biceps curls or triceps-specific stuff occasionally (when I travel for work or if I just haven't done it in a while), I don't really ever lose strength on those when I do because everything else works those muscles.

For all of them, I do a higher-weight progression regularly to build and maintain muscle. I also work in variations on each movement (front squats, push-press, power-clean/hang-clean, jerk) and do them at higher reps on occasion.

Heavy squats, deadlifts and powercleans work your legs, but they also work your core. You may not get six-pack abs from it, but if you can squat 300-pounds without losing your balance, you have plenty of core strength for curling. I don't really do any "core" specific stuff because of that.

I don't really bike (I don't enjoy it really), so I can't speak to that -- a lot of people recommend it. I prefer rowing (mostly on the erg machine) and I start out practically every session at the gym with a 500m warm-up. On a lot of days, I also do either a longer row or intervals, either after lifting or as my primary workout. The rower obviously works your legs pretty hard, but also calls your arms/back into the movement.

The other big thing I recommend for front-end players is to do battle ropes. It's a really great, intense cardio workout for your upper body, which combined with rowing, really helped with my sweeping endurance. There are different ways to do it, but I alternate between longer bursts and then tabata intervals depending on the day/workout.

I also cherrypick workouts from Crossfit.com that I know I have the equipment/competence to do and work those in alongside my lifting/rowing/ropes.

http://www.hitfitnesswarehouse.com/...ttle-ropes.html

12-01-22 05:19AM
glandslover is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glandslover Find more posts by glandslover Add glandslover to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
glandslover
Knee-Slider

I found a lot of skiing activities. However, you need to have good physical strength and skills before you can start.

redactle

10-09-23 05:10AM
LeBaton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LeBaton Find more posts by LeBaton Add LeBaton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LeBaton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Side effects vary depending on the supplement type and the individual. Common side effects could include stomach discomfort, nausea, or allergic reactions. It's important to introduce new supplements like https://www.gundrymdbiocomplete3.com/ from Gundry MD gradually and under the supervision of a healthcare provider, who can guide you on potential side effects.

12-17-23 06:39PM
byronmarquez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for byronmarquez Find more posts by byronmarquez Add byronmarquez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
byronmarquez
Knee-Slider

My gym sessions are more effective than ever, and the sense of accomplishment after each workout is immensely satisfying. Monitoring my progress has become an exciting aspect of my routine, as the results are clearly visible and beyond my expectations. I have become more focused and committed to my fitness goals, thanks to the incredible boost from winstrol steroids. The path has been about more than just physical transformation; it's about overcoming personal barriers and setting new standards for myself. With the continued use of 1bpshop steroids under medical supervision, I feel more empowered in my fitness. The path ahead looks promising, and I am more motivated than ever to continue pushing my limits and achieving greater heights in my personal fitness.

12-18-23 08:15AM
Robb0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robb0 Find more posts by Robb0 Add Robb0 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robb0
Knee-Slider

@brian walking with extra weights train your core like crazy - can def feel it after hiking a few hours with 30-40 pound backpack(even with TT I've got from https://gritroutdoors.com/ that has some decent waist support).