Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling Canada Aims To Hold Series Of Events In Hub City

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-19-21 10:50PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I see team Harty posted that they were disappointed that Alberta curling association chose not to take the opportunity to have mens teams at the brier. I was annoyed initially, like " why do you think they would or should have done that". However I kind of get their frustration. This has been a hard year for everyone. They are a young team on the rise and maybe thought they had a legit chance at a breakthrough in provincial. They are facing the same reality all young teams, all teams are.

I think in this case I agree with AB in first offering the spot to last year's winner Bottcher as every other province and territory has done where the play downs were cancelled.
In the "Spirit of the game" why should/would they manipulate the system just to get another team to the Brier.

I do however agree younger or so-called tier 2 teams without the 100k sponsorships and CC cash have a disadvantage trying to advance. Mid to long term prognosis is fewer and fewer teams every year to the point where Canada is like the rest of the world....1/2 dozen teams able to compete.

But I feel.more for younger teams because this makes me stop and think. How many young teams not only in Canada but globally will this destroy. Losing a year in your development, that's hard. And for juniors who would have just been transitioning this year its worse. You just wonder how many this will derail permanently and how will it set others back.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-20-21 12:18PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

The chances 9f this goung forward just plummeted. The snowboard and skiing bubble planned also for Calgary was cancelled. The sticking point?. Flying in athletes from all over the world. That same problem applies so curling so chances now very high to have this called off

01-20-21 12:32PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

The brier, scotties and mixed doubles for Canada doesn’t bring any international teams.

01-20-21 12:47PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido
The brier, scotties and mixed doubles for Canada doesn’t bring any international teams.

I suppose that could go forward. They could just force them to cancel worlds but if the point of the brier and scotties is determine your rep for worlds then whats the point of holding the events knowing wirlds won't be going aheaf

01-20-21 12:50PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Th point of the brier and scotties is to name the Canadian champions

01-20-21 01:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm just wondering would they cancel worlds but allow everything else to go. Slams with canadian teams only

01-20-21 01:35PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Could happen.
The future is a mystery more than ever.

01-20-21 02:50PM
BeachCurler89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BeachCurler89 Find more posts by BeachCurler89 Add BeachCurler89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BeachCurler89
Knee-Slider

Team Crawford opted out.

01-21-21 06:35PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Could happen.
The future is a mystery more than ever.

Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que será, será

01-22-21 12:12PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Manitoba Scotties

Just announced that the third wildcard team will be decided using the CTRS system. That eliminates Rocque and Silvernagle as they have 2 new players. Assuming Birt wins in PEI that means Zacharias and Peterson from Manitoba could be in. It will be like the Manitoba Scotties.

01-22-21 02:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Sorry but I think ots insane that 1 province could have 5 teams. If they insist on going forward and they can then 8d think some other factors should be considered.

Why jot consider that, since this is Alberta giving them a second team could be a good idea. Namely scheidegger

01-22-21 05:15PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I have a feeling that somehow, some way, Schiedegger is going to get in.

As far as 5 manitoba teams, only partially true. Tracy Fleury is an outside player who couldn't stand up to the defensive shot-pelting of Krista McCarville in Northern Ontario. Jennifer Jones no longer resides in Manitoba, neither does her 2nd or lead. I believe Kaitlyn Lawes holds down the fort as token Manitoban living part of the year in Winnipeg.

The youngstahs, Beth Peterson & Team Zacharias are mostly southern Manitoba players.

Canadian champion Kerri Einarson has a major import named Valerie Sweeting at vice.

From a purely selfish, Manitoba only standpoint this is fabulastic. Add Homan & Laura Walker to the mix and you have the potential for some amazing scraps on the curling lanes.

Manitoba is just doing what other provinces have done for years - bringing in import players. Now it appears to be paying off in spades.

btw - I wouldn't expect Beth Peterson to challenge for a playoff spot. A polished young group of women in their mid to late 20s - I'd expect them to finish no better than .500 in their pool.
Zacharias could be a little terror. She's of championship pedigree, if she catches fire early and gets her confidence turbo-boosted she's got an outside shot at a playoff berth.

I can't see both Fleury & JJ making playoffs. In fact if JJ continues her too often erratic play I can see neither Fleury or Jones advancing . . . ! ! !

how many more times does jones have to prove you wrong before you stop writing her off. You didnt give her a chance last year and she finished 3rd

01-22-21 05:52PM
beaches43 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beaches43 Find more posts by beaches43 Add beaches43 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beaches43
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Legend has spoken

01-22-21 08:13PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

As a long-time Jones fan I love it when she proves me wrong. However, more often than not I'm right.

you're actually not. In every single time when you've written her off before the event started and said she has no shot she's proven you wrong and done well. Unless you're really just reverse jinxing her.

01-23-21 11:59AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Curl Canada should have held off on any announcements about wild card entries until after PEI is decided. Now Birt knows she is in win or lose. If she wasn't a class act (and just from watching her in many Scotties I would say she is a class act) she could have the choice of playing in the Scotties against a top 15 team in Peterson or allowing an untested PEI team in and increasing her own chances. And if she does lose PEI there will be people who will say it was on purpose, throwing shade on her and taking the shine off the team that beat her fair and square. CC could have avoided all of this by waiting until next week and then announcing the criteria and the teams.

Last edited by hogged again on 01-23-21 at 12:10PM

01-24-21 09:46AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

As you said Birt is a class act and a very good curler. So I think she’ll win PEI. But CC needed to state their criteria earlier and stick to it or not say anything until all the playoffs were done.

01-24-21 11:42AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Maybe not the best way of deciding wildcards. Seeing some teams didn’t play in any competitions because of covid. Some provinces shut down, some didn’t. Maybe should have done a 4 year total points instead of 1 year.
Also, Alberta had a chance to send 3 men’s teams to the brier if they used the same system as curling Canada. They should have picked Hardy, then Botcher and Koe would have been wildcards. Zero consistency.

01-24-21 12:06PM
AB Curler 60 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AB Curler 60 Find more posts by AB Curler 60 Add AB Curler 60 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AB Curler 60
Knee-Slider

Format Changes

Changes were made to the bubble to be fair to all teams in this unprecedented year.
I wonder if this was ever considered: add just one more game for the men and women to compensate the 2020 Champions.
The 2020 Champs VS the 2021 Champs to be played after the final in the Bubble. Winner goes to 2021 Worlds.
How exciting would that be for Canadian Curling Fans?
"Make The Final"

01-24-21 09:49PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Format Changes

quote:
Originally posted by AB Curler 60
I wonder if this was ever considered: add just one more game for the men and women to compensate the 2020 Champions. The 2020 Champs VS the 2021 Champs to be played after the final in the Bubble. Winner goes to 2021 Worlds. How exciting would that be for Canadian Curling Fans?
"Make The Final"

This is a very good idea.

01-30-21 05:51PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Now that Birt has taken PEI it is official that 5 MB teams will be in the bubble. Also just tweeted that Raunora Westcott will be Jones' 5th.
Clark-Rouire 5th Heather Nedohin Coach for Einarson. Holland Alternate for Team Sask. Kim Kelly Alternate on Team NS.
SCOTTIES FIELD CA - Einarson BC - Brown AB - Walker SK - Anderson MB - Jones QU - St-Georges ON - Homan NO - Burns PEI - Birt NB - Adams NS - Brothers YK - Eby NU - Eddy WC - Fleury WC - Zacharias WC - Peterson NL ? NWT ?

Last edited by nelski on 01-30-21 at 07:51PM

01-30-21 08:42PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Brown from BC will surprise and win it all.

01-31-21 03:45PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

it's absurd that 5 teams from province is being allowed. 3 is bad enough but 5?. curling canada easily could have found a way to get someone else in from alberta at least

01-31-21 05:19PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
it's absurd that 5 teams from province is being allowed. 3 is bad enough but 5?. curling canada easily could have found a way to get someone else in from alberta at least
Do you think they could ethically do it in hindsight? I guess they have done it for residency rules so why not for qualifying, eh? Or, could've made one WC a host team. I see what you mean. It was arbitrary anyway.

Last edited by nelski on 01-31-21 at 05:24PM

01-31-21 05:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Do you think they could ethically do it in hindsight? I guess they have done it for residency rules so why not for qualifying, eh? Or, could've made one WC a host team. I see what you mean. It was arbitrary anyway.

they can make up whatever stupid rule they want to fit their needs, they've done it multiple times in recent years alone. im not a fan of the wild card idea but it just seems like it would have been smart from their point of view to give on to scheidegger or some other alberta team . like maybe rocque

01-31-21 06:48PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

ON's Scott McDonald will skip Team NS (not NB) as Murphy is unable to go to the bubble.
(Thanks for correction in-off)

Last edited by nelski on 01-31-21 at 10:40PM