Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling on TV During This HIatus

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-20-20 02:47AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

And then it was the infamous "I'm going to throw it away" from Martin in the last end of the 2009 World Championship vs. Scotland's Murdoch.
It's nice to re-live these games... but in 2009, the game was pretty close to what it is today.

I still want to see games from when it was different... I want them to go back further - back to the '80s... or at least the '90s.... Let's see games that were played differently than today's games - because the rules were different, the equipment was different, the fitness levels were different...
Let's see Russ at his best, and the Wrench, and Hemmings hamming it up at the Brier...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-20-20 at 02:50AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-20-20 12:28PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Unfortunately, there's an almost equivalent list of great teams that are exceptionally boring and tedious to watch:

1. Randy Ferbey
2. Rachel Homan
3. Russ Howard
4. Mike Riley
5. Ed Lukowich
6. Connie Laliberte
7. Randy Woytowich
8. Kevin Koe
9. The Richardsons
10. Doug Wankel
11. Tom Reed
12. Jimmy Ursel
13. Stefanie Lawton
14. Sherry Anderson
15. Linda Moore

Any I missed in either category?
10. [/B]

I don't find any of these teams 'boring' in the least. I love the old school skips, still doing their thing (Koe, etc), who don't feel the need to speed up the game; it's not a speed based game. It's a thinking game.

04-20-20 04:09PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

It was sure nice and refreshing to listen to Moose Turnbull and Linda Moore. I miss them both big time.

04-20-20 05:15PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
It was sure nice and refreshing to listen to Moose Turnbull and Linda Moore. I miss them both big time.

That was nice.

It's interesting to see how some of these players have aged; Hebert got the nickname "Meat" from how beefy he was back then. His current skip, however, really hasn't aged all that much since 2010.

04-20-20 10:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

PLEASE replay brier final 2004. Talk about MasterCard commercials. The look on the cockyist curler of all time after the last thrown stone, Ferbey after being outplayed, out strategized and out curled, priceless. Only thing better is when he said gushue had NO chance of winning the Olympic trials in Halifax. He was as wrong as Stoughton .

04-21-20 07:29AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
PLEASE replay brier final 2004. Talk about MasterCard commercials. The look on the cockyist curler of all time after the last thrown stone, Ferbey after being outplayed, out strategized and out curled, priceless. Only thing better is when he said gushue had NO chance of winning the Olympic trials in Halifax. He was as wrong as Stoughton .

Stoughton was probably right about his comment, but then they recruited Howard. Sure he would not have won without his input.

04-21-20 07:53AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

I don't find any of these teams 'boring' in the least. I love the old school skips, still doing their thing (Koe, etc), who don't feel the need to speed up the game; it's not a speed based game. It's a thinking game.

It is most definitely a thinking game. And that's what I keep telling the newer curlers at my club who say that I'm slow...
I say "Those who can think, do. Those who can't think, play fast."

Sadly, the powers that be in curling are trying to speed it up - as they are doing in other sports in order to accommodate the shorter attention spans.
But in a world where the average attention span of an adult human has decreased to approximately a pathetic 4 seconds, it's really nice to have a sport which values and respects intellectual assessment and the thought process.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-21-20 11:14AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I also think it would be great if the replayed all the Canadian Olympic qualifying playoff games. Start back in 88 and go right through to 2018

04-22-20 02:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
FANTASY CURLING MATCHES I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE:

Coco Jones - Jennifer Jones - Sandra Schmirler - Rachel Homan

Annette Norberg beats them all.

Here's a challenge for you: who wins Sweden vs Canada?

Hasselborg, Norberg and Gustaffson vs Schmirler, JJones and Homan?

04-24-20 10:20PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I am grateful that TSN is showing on Sundays games from other years besides the last couple. Good for them. However, when they choose games to show during the week why oh why does it have to be the same event(s) over and over. I don't think we need to see the 2019 Scotties again and again. Yes I know it is not really curling season anymore but with no live sports to show I would have thought they would try to be a little more flexible on filling their programming void. Oh well maybe when I can start golfing on May 15th I will be over it......

04-24-20 10:29PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Stoughton was probably right about his comment, but then they recruited Howard. Sure he would not have won without his input.

You sure? That's the exact statement that proved so embarrassing for Stoughton. He's still trying to live it down 15 years later.

04-25-20 09:03AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke

You sure? That's the exact statement that proved so embarrassing for Stoughton. He's still trying to live it down 15 years later.

100% sure.

With Russ added, after Stoughton made his comment, that changed the whole dyamic.(2006)

After Russ left, they never won a Brier until 2017. Or a Grand Slam until 2010.

04-25-20 11:10AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/20...l-history-pt-1/

Howard was on the team after the end of the previous season as stated in this great article. Therefore Stoughton yapped with Howard already on board.

04-25-20 11:45AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Yes I was sure Howard was on Gushue's team when Jeffy made that comment. That's why it was such a big deal at the time. Now Stoughton was probably not the only one to feel that way at the time but to express it out loud was kinda bold I thought.

04-25-20 12:18PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy
Yes I was sure Howard was on Gushue's team when Jeffy made that comment. That's why it was such a big deal at the time. Now Stoughton was probably not the only one to feel that way at the time but to express it out loud was kinda bold I thought.

I'm sure Stoughton is sick of hearing about and wishes he hadn't said it but then again if he made the roll on a hit late in the game he probably goes to the Olympics and no one would bring it up.

Last edited by hogged again on 04-25-20 at 12:21PM

04-25-20 07:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

I'm sure Stoughton is sick of hearing about and wishes he hadn't said it but then again if he made the roll on a hit late in the game he probably goes to the Olympics and no one would bring it up.

It's the classic case of "it's ok to think it, but don't say it out loud"

I'm certain we've all done it.

04-26-20 12:03PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
anyone get a black mail letter from silviarro that knows your cz password

wants bitcoin

seems to know a coup0le orf or all? my passwords

Is he telling you he sees your browsing history, "you dirty old man." (Or something like that.)
Delete.

04-27-20 10:11AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Yes

He has tapes of me from my non existent cam.

Thursadays scam was a phone call thatmy hydro was being cut off - but no address , and i have lots of bldgs butalway# pay. By auto pay

Anotherone last week also knew my password - different pw from first above but matched the site aswell

Have about20 pw. But thinking none are safe

I had the CRA scam call a while back.
Plus if anyone asks you to pay your "debt" in gift cards....

05-10-20 05:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I also think it would be great if the replayed all the Canadian Olympic qualifying playoff games. Start back in 88 and go right through to 2018

I emailed TSN after this bit of whining and wishful thinking, now they're showing roar of the rings replays. Coincidence? I think not

05-10-20 06:15PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I emailed TSN after this bit of whining and wishful thinking, now they're showing roar of the rings replays. Coincidence? I think not

I also messaged TSN about showing older games.

05-10-20 06:24PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

It was good to see the 2009 mens trials final being replayed on TSN.... I remember at the time not confident at all that the Howard team would win that final when Howard missed a makeable runback in the 2nd end and gave Martin 2 I had a feeling of "here we go again"... That game was never close Martin had control of that game the whole way.. That Martin team wasn't going to be denied... that was when they were at their peak... Ive always thought that Martin team was the best team Ive seen since 2000... Even though Gushue has won 3 of the last 4 briers I think that martin team was a bit more dominant...

05-10-20 07:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I just think the Canadian trials to go to the Olympics is by far the toughest to win anywhere in the world. Some countries have nominated teams, Some 1-2 teams, Some have at the VERY most 3/4 teams. Canada has 15-20 teams.

Should curling be like cross country skiing with 5-6 athletes/teams competing per country like Norway?

Or bobsled from Germany? Why do they get multiple teams/ participants.

Discuss.

Why shouldn't Canada have more than one team?

05-10-20 07:36PM
MKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MKL Find more posts by MKL Add MKL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MKL
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I just think the Canadian trials to go to the Olympics is by far the toughest to win anywhere in the world. Some countries have nominated teams, Some 1-2 teams, Some have at the VERY most 3/4 teams. Canada has 15-20 teams.

Should curling be like cross country skiing with 5-6 athletes/teams competing per country like Norway?

Or bobsled from Germany? Why do they get multiple teams/ participants.

Discuss.

Why shouldn't Canada have more than one team?

I believe that it has to do with the time it takes to play games, and the amount of games that can be played at once. Most, if not all sports that have multiple representatives from one country do not involve one on one match-ups that take two or three hours to complete, like curling, hockey, basketball, etc. Bobsled is a team sport that has multiple representative teams from one country, but the teams don't go up against each other one at a time, as it is a timed event. Therefore, they can have 25 or 30 teams in the event. Curling, as an example, needs to keep their number of teams down to 10 or 12, if they want to do a full round-robin in a reasonable one week-ish event, or the Olympics. You could go to the Brier/Scotties way of doing things, I guess, with multiple pools, but I think the curling powers-that-be would be more inclined to add extra nations rather than a Canada 2 team. If you really want multiple teams, at say the world championships, maybe you give an extra berth to each nation that finishes in the top 3 in the previous worlds, add them to the 13 teams already in, and you have 16 teams, 2 pools of 8, and the Brier/Scotties format. I don't think it would happen at the Olympics, because of the 17 day window and other factors.

05-10-20 08:24PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

You might as well ask why shouldn't Manitoba has multiple teams at the Scotties/Brier. I mean, that is already sort of happening with Wildcard and Team Canada, and some traditionalists are vocally against that (e.g. Warren Hansen in Inside Curling, episode 1 I think? https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ng/id1509051095 ).

Canadians gave lots of grief to Team Gauthier (MB2) for winning 2020 Canadian Juniors without winning Manitoba. That's going to be the new normal now since they've changed the format to allow extra provincial teams for the host and the "elites", and I'm sure some people are unhappy about that (ref: https://curlsask.ca/2020/04/15/upda...hampionships-2/ ).

But yeah, the logistics is the main reason. Curling takes a significant chunk of time at the Olympics. It's the only sport that runs the entire duration of the event. Heck, mixed doubles had to start a day before opening ceremony already!

My guess is that before multiple teams per country at the Olympics, we'd first have to normalize multiple provinces at the Brier/Scotties, and shorten each game to 8 ends (which is already an inevitable eventuality).

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-10-20 at 08:56PM

05-10-20 10:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Easy there curling lips/ ML

How can you say you're new to curling yet spout Manitoba stats like you're Moose Turnbull?

Hmmm