Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-09-20 06:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

congrats to gunner. some would say an overdue trip to the brier

mcewen will have the second chance. ofcourse

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-09-20 07:03PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1 mcewen will have the second chance. of course.
Versus...? Howard?

02-09-20 07:14PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Versus...? Howard?

If Bottcher wins it is Howard. If Bottcher loses, it is him in the Wild Card.

02-09-20 09:48PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

"Jeff makes better curler than announcer.."

To the contrary, I think SN's broadcast team would be improved significantly with Stoughton on board. Only question: which two of the current staff should be handed their walking papers?

02-09-20 09:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

And Howard just might eat McEwan alive...Scott Howard is very intense. That front end is decent too.

02-10-20 05:45AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Mike and Reid seem just as uncomfortable and unnatural in their curling partnership as they did at the beginning a couple of years ago.
Sure, they'll win more than they'll lose - on raw talent only... but when confronted with teams that are their peers, that's when they falter.

They are good friends - and that's fine. But the dynamic between them on the ice when they are challenged by good teams is so awkward and unnatural that it's difficult to watch. Surely some objective observers have mentioned this to them... or perhaps people are afraid to be honest with them.
Designating McEwen as the leader of the team - Skipping, throwing Skip stones, and the team in his name - has not helped at all. There is still no bonafide leader of this team. And it's because they are good friends - they are both afraid of vetoing the other's decisions. This leads to wishy-washy leadership, and the team suffers because of it.

Man, I was writing the same thing 2 years ago - and nothing's changed since then. The team dynamic hasn't improved at all.
It's sad to say, but they were both better on their own than they are together. It's time to cut their losses and abandon ship at the end of this season, for the good of all involved.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-10-20 at 05:56AM

02-10-20 12:24PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I think the biggest problem isn't chemistry, it's the fact that Carruthers is not an elite shooter. Rarely have I seen him outplay the opposing 3rd and he's always good for a bad bad miss in the late ends.

02-10-20 12:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Mike and Reid seem just as uncomfortable and unnatural in their curling partnership as they did at the beginning a couple of years ago.
Sure, they'll win more than they'll lose - on raw talent only... but when confronted with teams that are their peers, that's when they falter.

They are good friends - and that's fine. But the dynamic between them on the ice when they are challenged by good teams is so awkward and unnatural that it's difficult to watch. Surely some objective observers have mentioned this to them... or perhaps people are afraid to be honest with them.
Designating McEwen as the leader of the team - Skipping, throwing Skip stones, and the team in his name - has not helped at all. There is still no bonafide leader of this team. And it's because they are good friends - they are both afraid of vetoing the other's decisions. This leads to wishy-washy leadership, and the team suffers because of it.

Man, I was writing the same thing 2 years ago - and nothing's changed since then. The team dynamic hasn't improved at all.
It's sad to say, but they were both better on their own than they are together. It's time to cut their losses and abandon ship at the end of this season, for the good of all involved.

Two skips do not make a good team. If you look at Team Howard, you know whose the boss. Yes Scott will try and talk Glenn into some high risk shot but ultimately they respect what Glenn decides. Team Fleury is a bit like Team McEwen with the front end often in the house telling Tracy what to throw. Dangerous. I see this in club play and I see in elite play. A high performance advisor like a Jules Ochwar might be beneficial to Team McEwan but in the end it might be best to go their separate ways.

02-10-20 01:02PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Always happy to see a team win their first provincial title. In this instance however, I had noted that McEwen lost the game in the early end when when he opted for a ridiculous , low percentage shot and missed rather than making the simple draw to the button that gunner made on his next shot. Hence, McEwen lost the game more than Gunner winning it which does not auger well for him going to the big dance.

02-10-20 03:01PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Two skips do not make a good team. If you look at Team Howard, you know whose the boss. Yes Scott will try and talk Glenn into some high risk shot but ultimately they respect what Glenn decides. Team Fleury is a bit like Team McEwen with the front end often in the house telling Tracy what to throw. Dangerous. I see this in club play and I see in elite play. A high performance advisor like a Jules Ochwar might be beneficial to Team McEwan but in the end it might be best to go their separate ways.

Maybe John Dunn could help; Team Koe has a democratic dynamic that seems to work for them, given their Brier win.

02-10-20 03:19PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Always happy to see a team win their first provincial title. In this instance however, I had noted that McEwen lost the game in the early end when when he opted for a ridiculous , low percentage shot and missed rather than making the simple draw to the button that gunner made on his next shot. Hence, McEwen lost the game more than Gunner winning it which does not auger well for him going to the big dance.

I'm totally in agreement with you. It'll be different seeing Gunner a the Brier this year. I don't think he'll do well but its his wish and it has been fulfilled. McEwen made a very foolish shot and I believe this cost him the game. So dejected looking after the game. To come so far then lose. Gotta be a tough pill to swallow.

02-10-20 06:15PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

The McEwen team didn't look good but I didn't think Gunnlaugson did either. I never get the feeling that this McEwen team really wants him to win. I think he would be much better with 2 or 3 young guys, possibly Wozniak at third or second.

02-10-20 10:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the thing with mcruthers is that yes, their results are better but the dynamic is still weird. it still feels like this is carruthers, semegalski and hodgson + mcewen. its never felt comfortable from day one. maybe it is, i dont know but on ice the dynamic just seems off.

we only see so much but what im seeing just ..at times its as comfortable as it was watching ben and rachel interact on a team at the continental cup this year.

02-11-20 05:12AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I think the biggest problem isn't chemistry, it's the fact that Carruthers is not an elite shooter. Rarely have I seen him outplay the opposing 3rd and he's always good for a bad bad miss in the late ends.

^ Not true. Reid is no worse than any of his peers. He was doing quite well in the 2 or 3 years he was Skipping his own team, before Mike came aboard. Before that, he was a quality Second.

The problem is not with the quality or calibre of anyone on the team, it's purely with the dynamic of the team.
When Reid was Skipping (before Mike came along), the dynamic was really good.

This isn't to say that either Reid or Mike are bad guys - not at all. They're both high quality curlers, and probably nice guys. It's just that they don't have a good dynamic when playing together.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-11-20 05:21AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Two skips do not make a good team....

That can sometimes be the case, and sometimes not. Einerson and Sweeting seem to be working well...
The fact is that the majority of the players on the top teams - at every position - were Skips at some point along the way. So they all know and have the Skip mentality/approach within them.

Reid was a Second for a long time - while Mike was Skipping. Then Reid decided to Skip his own team, and brought Mike along when Mike's team broke up.
I honestly believe the problem is their friendship - each is too nice, and is afraid to override the other... and the result is that the team has no leader.

02-11-20 12:49PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Personally, I think the problem is that there are too many dominant personalities on the team. Colin and Derek always feel the need to provide input or negative commentary to every shot. Add Reid and Mike's personalities and something needs to change in their team dynamic. They're a good team, but they need a team meeting on how to best communicate with each other. Calling timeouts to discuss at length the placement of guards that would be within a foot of each other and then missing the shot, is not a good look.

The Einarson/Sweeting duo works well because Val is a more shy person and picks her moments as to when to provide her input; which allows Kerri to skip how she wants and feel like she's in control of things.

02-11-20 12:58PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

^ Not true. Reid is no worse than any of his peers. He was doing quite well in the 2 or 3 years he was Skipping his own team, before Mike came aboard. Before that, he was a quality Second.

The problem is not with the quality or calibre of anyone on the team, it's purely with the dynamic of the team.
When Reid was Skipping (before Mike came along), the dynamic was really good.

This isn't to say that either Reid or Mike are bad guys - not at all. They're both high quality curlers, and probably nice guys. It's just that they don't have a good dynamic when playing together.

Never said he wasn't good, but he is not elite. Even when he was skipping he was good but 2nd tier. McEwen can shoot with anyone, he proved that a few years back when his team was dominant on the cash circuit. Carruthers is just not in the same league as Fry, Nichols, Kennedy, Neufeld or Moulding. I've seen him play plenty of games and while they can put up a 90%+ game he is a 80% guy and his misses are bad misses.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-11-20 at 01:09PM

02-11-20 01:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Never said he wasn't good, but he is not elite. Even when he was skipping he was good but 2nd tier. McEwen can shoot with anyone, he proved that a few years back when his team was dominant on the cash circuit. Carruthers is just not in the same league as Fry, Nichols, Kennedy, Neufeld or Moulding. I've seen him play plenty of games and while they can put up a 90%+ game he is a 80% guy and his misses are bad misses.

moulding is not in the same grooup as neufeld, nichols and fry. i wouldnt even rate moulding in on the same level as carruthers. he misses more than reid does . the only difference is bottcher is one of the best in the game at calling a plan b and getting the most out of mistakes. which he has to do a lot in moulding's case. bottcher makes moulding look a lot better than he is.

i often say bottcher wins in spite of moulding rather than because of him

02-12-20 01:47AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

moulding is not in the same grooup as neufeld, nichols and fry. i wouldnt even rate moulding in on the same level as carruthers. he misses more than reid does . the only difference is bottcher is one of the best in the game at calling a plan b and getting the most out of mistakes. which he has to do a lot in moulding's case. bottcher makes moulding look a lot better than he is.

i often say bottcher wins in spite of moulding rather than because of him

Darren may not be as smooth as the others, and he's not the best of the bunch, but he's a quality thrower who has his place among the elite gang.

His greatest value, though, is his personality. He's so raw and genuine... He's the extrovert on a team of introverts - and it all works excellently.
And Bottcher is mature well beyond his years.

As bad as the dynamic is on the McEwen/Carruthers team, it's just about perfect on the Bottcher team. They have the best dynamic and chemistry of all the elite teams.

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-12-20 at 01:50AM

02-12-20 12:01PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Truer words never spoken ML. Should Team Howard's vice and front end not deliver and leave the Grand Yoda circus shots, then Team McEwen could very well beat them...should be a good match.