Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-03-21 02:06PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Her handlers and curl canada who either advised her or allowed her to play in all these events are guilty of extreme stupidity.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-03-21 02:11PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Endemoniada
If Canada misses the play-offs, which has to be a real possibility now, which team will go to the qualification event in December?

The Canadian Olympic Trials take place the last week in November. The last chance Olympic qualifier takes place in December so I assume that whoever wins Canada's "olympic spot" will go to the qualifier and try to earn that spot. It may be the week after the trials, I think Curl Canada just assumed we wouldn't be in it.

05-03-21 02:12PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

To be fair, she'd be in the bubble, quarantine when she got home, spend 5 days at home, quarantine again, back in the bubble, quarantine again, compete for a week, go home, quarantine again etc etc...

So the decision becomes, is it better to just stay there? And if there, you can't practice - so you might as well compete....

I don't know - I think what's also possible here is you play a lot of the best teams in the world over and over again you're going to lose your fair share at some point. I mean, is her team better than Peterson/Roth? Yeah. But no so much better that she'd win 100% of the time. 60-70% maybe. Eventually at some point that 35% chance of losing is gonna stack with another one and another one, and suddenly... PRESSURE.

05-03-21 03:24PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Sleepwalking through the game.
I saw a clip of Canada draw for 1, slide too far and give up a steal of 2 in the ninth end.

Very poor weight judgement by the sweepers, as the two of them sweep the rock right out of the skip's hand to halfway mark in the sheet. Then one sweeper continues to sweep and clean this heavy draw to the hogline. Only then, the brooms come up as they watch GER sweep the rock to back 8 and a momentum-killing steal of 2.

05-03-21 05:34PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Endemoniada
If Canada misses the play-offs, which has to be a real possibility now, which team will go to the qualification event in December?

I was correct in assuming Curl Canada has no plan in place if Canada misses playoffs.

Sportsnet article says "Because of uncertainty over the fall schedule, CC has yet to determine whether that team would be the Trials winner or another foursome."

It may be the week after the Trials so it would be difficult for the Trials winner to play but the alternative would be sending a team that didn't qualify for the trials and I don't want to see the 11th best team going.

Canada's best move if they miss the playoffs is to ask to host the last chance instead of having it in Europe which is where I have read it will be held. It would make money for the WCF/IOC as I'm sure in Canada they would have good crowds and then there wouldn't be a big problem with the Trials winner having to travel far.

05-03-21 05:48PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Tue. and Wed. broadcasts are now cancelled.

World Women’s Championship broadcast coverage cancellation extended
For immediate release: Monday 3 May 2021
Calgary, Canada – After further testing of the broadcast staff covering the World Women’s Curling Championship, the number of positive COVID-19 cases within the group has increased to seven.
The broadcast staff remain in isolation in their hotel and are awaiting results from further testing, including testing for variants of concern.
With this latest information, all broadcasting for Tuesday (4 May) and the 09:00 session on Wednesday (5 May) will now be cancelled.
Updates on broadcasting from the afternoon session on Wednesday onwards will be provided once more information becomes available from the investigation.
The World Curling Federation and Curling Canada continue to follow the robust health and safety protocols put in place with the guidance of the federal, provincial and local public health officials.
The health and safety of our athletes, officials, staff and the community at large are always our primary concern. We will continue to follow those safety protocols with the utmost care as we move forward.
With respect for the privacy of the impacted individuals, no additional information will be shared at this time.

05-03-21 06:05PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

World curling.org has old school "ala curling geek " rock by rock graphic of each end.

05-03-21 06:15PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

As I mentioned previously, it's very clear now that Canada is over-thinking things, and that the situation has really gotten into their heads.

It's rather puzzling - There are no fans in the seats... there is less media presence than usual... and yet, Canada is obviously feeling enormous pressure.

It's a difficult situation. It's virtually impossible for them to not think about the circumstance - it's like asking the 14 year old boy to not think about what he saw when he opened his parents' bedroom door and saw them having sex. You can't unknow what you know.
And so Canada is thinking about it - which just creates more pressure for them. It has obviously snowballed.
The have to try to just play with confidence - thinking about their successes over the years rather than thinking about the current situation.
That's much easier said than done, though.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-03-21 06:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Nice win.

They'll have zero TV exposure for at least half the event now. Why won't they let the teams stream the games on facebook live? Gushue did it with 1000's watching for a couple spiels last fall. He was going to stream the MD late draw that wasn't even being televised, but was told no at the last minute. Crazy.

Right now the event sponsors and the teams's sponsors are getting zero exposure. Stream them online and least and they'll get some eyes from around the world reading their logos.

Broadcast rights yada yada.... 1000's watching is better than zero

05-03-21 07:25PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Nice win.

They'll have zero TV exposure for at least half the event now. Why won't they let the teams stream the games on facebook live? Gushue did it with 1000's watching for a couple spiels last fall. He was going to stream the MD late draw that wasn't even being televised, but was told no at the last minute. Crazy.

Right now the event sponsors and the teams's sponsors are getting zero exposure. Stream them online and least and they'll get some eyes from around the world reading their logos.

Broadcast rights yada yada.... 1000's watching is better than zero

Totally agree - arrange some sort of livestream even just with a camera phone and broadcast it on you tube via world curling tv. Most of the world (well a few thousand) - outside North America for Canada/US games and Japan - has been watching the event for free on you tube anyway.

They even have a live chat function and a few elite curlers have even turned up.

Joan McCusker, Kevin Martin, Melissa Soligo and Jill Officer have been doing a great job with the WCF commentary for both worlds - maybe they could find a way to broadcast from the hotel rooms even if its just commentating via the live chat!

Hoping they are all ok along with the TSN crew by the way!

PS glad to see Canada won the Korea game but its going to be an uphill struggle to make the top 6 now. Still some tough matches against China and Scotland - which are likely to be key! If China (host nation) make top 6 of course only five team go direct to Beijing from this event.

Last edited by Martym on 05-03-21 at 07:32PM

05-03-21 07:44PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Sleepwalking through the game.
I saw a clip of Canada draw for 1, slide too far and give up a steal of 2 in the ninth end.

Very poor weight judgement by the sweepers, as the two of them sweep the rock right out of the skip's hand to halfway mark in the sheet. Then one sweeper continues to sweep and clean this heavy draw to the hogline. Only then, the brooms come up as they watch GER sweep the rock to back 8 and a momentum-killing steal of 2.

Are you by any chance referring to the two curlers ML continually eulogizes?
For example:

1) The Best Fronters in their
sport.

2) The best judging tandem.

3) Ultra - focused and
Powerful too!

4) The world's # 1 2nd.

05-03-21 07:54PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Maybe they are all those things.

Just not on that last rock of the 9th end.

05-03-21 08:11PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

It’s crazy. At this point we’re getting 20,000 in a baseball stadium for a game down here. The NFL Draft was down the street and basically if you were vaccinated you had free run of the place.

Surely they could have doled out the 300 vaccines it would have taken and then just let this thing go on. The whole bubble thing is feeling very passé. At this point, completely vaccinated, I feel totally safe around other vaccinated people indoors. I’m not sure what the heck is going on. I feel like if everyone is vaccinated, you just quarantine the sick and keep moving on.

I don’t mean to be to callous here, maybe I just don’t understand how bad it is there. Is the situation horrific in Calgary?

05-03-21 08:28PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
It’s crazy. At this point we’re getting 20,000 in a baseball stadium for a game down here. The NFL Draft was down the street and basically if you were vaccinated you had free run of the place.

Surely they could have doled out the 300 vaccines it would have taken and then just let this thing go on. The whole bubble thing is feeling very passé. At this point, completely vaccinated, I feel totally safe around other vaccinated people indoors. I’m not sure what the heck is going on. I feel like if everyone is vaccinated, you just quarantine the sick and keep moving on.

I don’t mean to be to callous here, maybe I just don’t understand how bad it is there. Is the situation horrific in Calgary?

Yes. It's bad in all of Canada. We don't have enough vaccine. Our federal leadership has failed us. I live in Ontario. I had my 1st dose at the end of March (I'm in the high risk age group). I''m scheduled to get my second - July 9th!!! The bubble may be passe in other civilized countries, but we can't even visit relatives outdoors.
Sorry to interrupt the curling thread, but only 2.5% of Canadians are fully vaccinated, embarrassing!
Now back to curling. Hope this win over Korea gets the Canadians back on track. Obviously the 2nd ranked team in the world has not been on their game, but anyone who has played this game has gone through this kind of funk where nothing seems to work. Stringing a few wins together will change all that!

Last edited by Bmalky on 05-03-21 at 08:33PM

05-03-21 08:53PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

Do you actually think Kerri Einarson will go to Aberdeen for the mixed doubles worlds?

The schedule is totally crazy - you have four women in Calgary - Kerri, Jennifer Dodds, Tabitha Peterson and Liisa Turmann (Estonia) due also to represent their countries in the mixed.

This event ends on Sunday (and in theory some of them could be still in the mix) - and they will have to head almost immediately to the airport and take a 20 hour flight (with at least one stopover needed) to Aberdeen. They will then immediately have to go into 7 days quarantine with the first games (in which Scotland and Canada are involved) at 5.30pm local time (10.30am Calgary time) on Monday week.

I haven't done the precise flight schedules just checked the minimum flight length - but is it even technically possible for these four women to do this if they are involved in the playoffs? There will also be PCR tests needed before leaving the bubble and in advance to enter Scotland. And there certainly won't be any time for ice practice before they play.

Its not as if the organisers wouldn't have known this - as Jen Dodds and Bruce Mouat won the selection event before Aberdeen was picked as the venue.

If Kerri sensibly backs out - who replaces her with Brad Gushue?

Last edited by Martym on 05-03-21 at 09:02PM

05-03-21 09:03PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Both Gushue and Einarson have talked in interviews that they were surprised the World Mixed Doubles weren't added to the Calgary bubble. They did not expect to have to travel to Scotland after winning Canada.

Both have expressed concerns with having to travel to Scotland and being away from family. For Einarson specifically, this will be the longest time she'd be away from her children.

Gushue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=24m48s

Einarson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=33m49s

My prediction is that they will both bow out, for Gushue and Einarson's own sake.

Past precedence is for runners up (or lower) to represent at the World (e.g. 2016 Dustin Kalthoff/Marliese Kasner).

For 2021 that would mean Sahaidak/Lott.

05-03-21 09:11PM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Both Gushue and Einarson have talked in interviews that they were surprised the World Mixed Doubles weren't added to the Calgary bubble. They did not expect to have to travel to Scotland after winning Canada.

Both have expressed concerns with having to travel to Scotland and being away from family. For Einarson specifically, this will be the longest time she'd be away from her children.

Gushue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=24m48s

Einarson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=33m49s

My prediction is that they will both bow out, for Gushue and Einarson's own sake.

Past precedence is for runners up (or lower) to represent at the World (e.g. 2016 Dustin Kalthoff/Marliese Kasner).

For 2021 that would mean Sahaidak/Lott.

Its tough - but there are 19 other teams involved in the event and 36 of the 40 competitors are not in the bubble at present! Every event can't be in Canada - its a global sport.

Scotland is well vaccinated and has very low caseloads - and is close to ending lockdowns entirely.

I expect those teams coming from Australia and New Zealand for example will feel a lot safer given the situation in Aberdeen than Calgary particularly given the failures in the bubble for the commentary/tv staff.

And with any luck we might get some live tv/you tube coverage from Aberdeen! Here hoping Tom Brewster and his team make things go smoothly.

Last edited by Martym on 05-03-21 at 09:14PM

05-03-21 09:14PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

The difference is that 'down there', in many states, everyone over age 16 or so is eligible to get vaccinated... whereas 'up here', we're still vaccinating by age group in each province.
And so, if they start vaccinating people in the 'curling bubble' when those people are not yet eligible by virtue of their age, then the public will (rightly) cry favouritism.

In the current pandemic circumstance, you can't grant special rights to certain people just because of a particular event - because then you're saying that a curling event is more important than a religious gathering, or more important than going to a restaurant, etc.

Add to that the fact that Alberta is currently the worst province in Canada when it comes to confirmed COVID-19 cases per capita, and that Calgary is the worst place within Alberta in terms of virus cases...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 05-03-21 at 09:36PM

05-03-21 09:23PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Martym
Scotland is well vaccinated and has very low caseloads - and is close to ending lockdowns entirely.

That's great!

But as Gushue articulated, the amount of time away from home "is, was and will be a concern". Both have families and children.

Sahaidak/Lott are young with no children (please correct me if I'm wrong). They're also a couple engaged to be married, and will be able to better support each other emotionally through the challenges of travelling to Scotland, and whatever happens once they get there, with regards to concerns both in and out of the actual curling competition.

They've also represented Canada at the world level... and won (Curling World Cup 3rd Leg).

05-03-21 09:41PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Ugh. I’m sorry everyone. Stay safe. Wish I could smuggle you guys some shots. Too cold to swim across Lake Erie right now.

05-03-21 09:50PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

1. Rachel Homan, 2. Emma Miskew, 3. Laura Walker, 4. Kaitlyn Lawes, 5. Joanne Courtney
Wonder which one of these 5 Gushue would vote for if he had any say?

Team Gushue & Team Homan participated in 2018 & 2019 Continental Cups.

Both times, Gushue played with Lisa Weagle.

2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWIXFUGQ0Q&t=11m30s

2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHA43X-oX0&t=1h28m

05-03-21 09:54PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Team Gushue & Team Homan participated in 2018 & 2019 Continental Cups.

Both times, Gushue played with Lisa Weagle.

2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWIXFUGQ0Q&t=11m30s

2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHA43X-oX0&t=1h28m

Weagle would be a great partner for Gushue, she can make any shot but isn’t much for strategy, and he’d be just fine doing all the strategizing.

05-03-21 09:54PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cnpeters

[/QUOTE
Why should athletes/broadcasters be allowed to jump the vaccine queue?

05-03-21 09:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Weagle would be a great partner for Gushue, she can make any shot but isn’t much for strategy, and he’d be just fine doing all the strategizing.

I think Gushue will probably bow out to stay with his family, but picking Weagle is at least based on precedence and past experience as partners.

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), Gushue has never played mixed doubles with Rachel Homan.

And Homan just had a baby.

Suggesting that Gushue would pick Homan is just wishful thinking not grounded in reality.

05-03-21 11:06PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

This event has largely been a disaster.

1. Hopefully everyone in the broadcast crew is okay. That’s obviously most important. Not much of a bubble if 7+ people get Covid, but I realize curling isn’t working with an NHL or NBA budget to set it up.

2. Have to get someone streaming the games. Make the best of a bad situation. You don’t need announcers. Surely you can give a couple people some video camera (or literally an iPhone at worst), plant them halfway up the stands far away from anyone, and you’ll get a few thousand viewers on YouTube.

3. I don’t put much into the “they’ve played too much” narrative. They were great the past two weeks. They didn’t just go from winning a slam, having multiple days off, to “we are too tired to perform”. Undoubtedly there’s mental health strain being away from family and friends for so long, but these are world class athletes and being physically tired is not the reason they haven’t played well. It’s okay to say “we didn’t play well this week, we are disappointed but will try use this to get better.”

4. They have to win 6 in a row. Seems unlikely, though they’ll be 3-5 going into that Scotland game (which would be great to watch, but alas).

5. The “qualify for the Olympics” narrative is annoying. Canada will be in the Olympics. If someone has to play an extra bonspiel next fall to qualify, then whatever. And the “who would play it” question is hilarious. Do we think the team that wins the trials is going to be like “wow we achieved a dream and qualified for the Olympics but absolutely we’ll sit on our couches and watch another team who won’t be going to the Olympics try qualify for us.”