Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > The Lore of Japanese Curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-08-22 09:30PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

If you'd to watch said Loco Solare vs Consadole skins match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WZK_rN1sI

I'd love to see an actual serious tournament with both the best men's and women's teams in the world to see how it would turn out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-22 09:55AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I wonder if the Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic will kick off the WCT season again? I remember it did for the last few seasons (not this one or the the last, when it was cancelled). Fun event to watch.

04-26-22 09:44PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Quite a surprising result at the Chubu Region Championships last week. TM Karuizawa, skipped by Yusuke Morozumi, the skip of Japan's 2018 Olympic men's team, lost their semi-final match to a club team that they beat quite handily in the round robin, meaning that they will be unable to progress to Japan Nationals next month.

The men's and women's competitions were both won by the respective SC Karuizawa teams. I don't know much about the ladies SC team, but the men are skipped by Riku Yanagisawa and also feature the charismatic sweeper Tsuyoshi Yamaguchi.

The second place teams advance to a frantic wildcard play-in tournament with several runner-ups from other regions on the day before Nationals to try and secure the final spot.

05-05-22 05:31PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Why do the Japanese women's team at 2022 World Women's say "sodane"?

I could be wrong (please correct me if I am), but I thought these claims are the facts:

Claim 1. "sodane" is a Hokkaido dialect
Claim 2. 2022 World Women's Japanese team is Chubu Electric
Claim 3. Chubu region is not in Hokkaido

So what's going on?

05-05-22 07:42PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Slight difference in intonation.

"Soudane" is a very common way of saying "I agree" all over Japan.

The "SodaNEEE!" pronunciation that Loco Solare used up to the 2018 Olympics was pretty jarring to people outside of Hokkaido, and really stood out as a symbol of how this team was just a bunch of great friends having fun together (another being the halftime snack break, which casual fans likened to a picnic, and was given the name "mogumogu time" based on the name of the feeding service for animals at a zoo. At one point, broadcaster NHK was deluged with complaints over cutting away from halftime eating)

Unfortunately, they were all so thoroughly bludgeoned with post-Olympics requests to say the "SodaNEEE!" line at public events that they sealed it up, and now basically say the words in a regular manner like everyone else.

05-15-22 08:21AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Can anyone think of someone besides Yumi Suzuki that's medalled in every single major international curling event (i.e. World Championships and Olympics) that they've ever participated in, having competed in at least three?

05-15-22 01:04PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

We did a story on curling in Karuizawa in 2016, the city where the 1998 Winter Olympics was played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVg5oybB2g

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-15-22 06:42PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
We did a story on curling in Karuizawa in 2016, the city where the 1998 Winter Olympics was played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVg5oybB2g

Thanks for the link. I remember watching this video around the time it came out, but it was interesting seeing it again now that I am much more familiar with the town and the Karuizawa Ice Park.

I don't know what hotel you stayed at during this time, but it looks like the closing party was held at Prince Karuizawa, so I'm glad that you got a chance to at least get a glimpse of that resort.