Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > Before commenting on Women's Curling, Please read this!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-29-13 11:26AM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Before commenting on Women's Curling, Please read this!

Before commenting on Women's Curling, please read this article about the Heidi vs. Howard study.

http://undecidedthebook.wordpress.c...bility-problem/

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-29-13 01:00PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Thanks very much for sharing, Gerry. There was a lot of hideous sexism on display here at CZ this season, especially during the STOH. And it does seem to be true that our most successful curlers in Canada draw the most ire. We all need to remember that these are real people we are discussing, real people with families who love and care deeply about them.

03-29-13 01:33PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

I've concluded that COO's do not make good researchers.

03-29-13 04:39PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Hopefully Manitoba Legend reads the item and takes note. He is by far the biggest perpetrator of sexist comments on CZ.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.153

03-29-13 11:24PM
Unregistered

Oh brother.. (pun intended)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.112.152.158

04-01-13 02:51PM
Unregistered

Kinda Late isnt it..??

Well isnt that nice
CZ FINALLY realizes there is very very bad sexism on this site and has been for years

Manitoba Legend was allowed to write column after column bashing every female curler EXCEPT JJones.. using foul names and language
and some posters who were "guessed" to be female were called Bitches and other offensive names just because some didnt like their point of view

After sevreal years of trying to deal with this matter I finally gave up and just stopped even posting...
I prefer ti discuss rather that sling name-callintg

Wouldnt i6t be nice if the ones who have destroyeda LOT of traffic on this site would finally either get their act together or be stopped by admin

This is supposed to be about Curling.... and you "guys" who have detsroyed this site need to check out your personal relationships with women and ask yourself.. how's it going??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.140.125

04-01-13 03:12PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

I appreciate the feedback and we try our best to police the forums as best as possible and remove the offensive comments.

The forums make CurlingZone very little money, and the time spent dealing with all the posts on here is wasted time for me. They're here to give fans the opportunity to interact and discuss the game.

Traffic numbers are way up, and we're about to pass the 10 million pageview numbers, though it has nothing to do with forums as our site has always been driven by scores.

As for the comments, while a lot of them do push the limits, we just don't have time and resources to cover off all the posts. If you see something inappropriate, please use the report button and post it. We deal with the trouble makers and do give people vacations and warning, but at the same time we're not going to wholly censor the forums either.

I do delete and edit posts and ban people when we see fit.

As for "finally" doing something, I just came across the Howard vs. Heidi study in a CNN news story and I thought it was totally relevant to the forums on here. And posted it right away.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-01-13 03:43PM
Unregistered

Re: Kinda Late isnt it..??

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Well isnt that nice
CZ FINALLY realizes there is very very bad sexism on this site and has been for years

Manitoba Legend was allowed to write column after column bashing every female curler EXCEPT JJones.. using foul names and language
and some posters who were "guessed" to be female were called Bitches and other offensive names just because some didnt like their point of view

After sevreal years of trying to deal with this matter I finally gave up and just stopped even posting...
I prefer ti discuss rather that sling name-callintg

Wouldnt i6t be nice if the ones who have destroyeda LOT of traffic on this site would finally either get their act together or be stopped by admin

This is supposed to be about Curling.... and you "guys" who have detsroyed this site need to check out your personal relationships with women and ask yourself.. how's it going??

To answer your question about my personal relationships with women - they are all perfectly fine. Thank you for your concern. As for the rest of your post: #1) The site is not "destroyed", #2) J. Jones has received her share of bashing, #3) I'm going to guess that you have also been on vacation from admin., and #4) have you ever thought that perhaps you are too sensitive.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.76.2.100

04-01-13 04:33PM
Unregistered

Kinda Late isnt it..??

quote:

To answer your question about my personal relationships with women - they are all perfectly fine. Thank you for your concern. As for the rest of your post: #1) The site is not "destroyed", #2) J. Jones has received her share of bashing, #3) I'm going to guess that you have also been on vacation from admin., and #4) have you ever thought that perhaps you are too sensitive.

[b]Have you actually read the women bashing on this site ??[b]

Abuse is NOT the fault of the "too sensitive" person...

There should be respect for people and in particular Women Curlers on this site.. there NEVER has been

Glad your rel. with women are fine.. and if so why do you have "defend" yourself??

If you look at what used to be a flourishing MANY dialogues on this site..
I would say the sexism is just one of the reasons the numbers have plummeted...

I wont write back so dont expect a further comment..

who wants to face attacks like have be ALLOWED to happen on here

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.140.125

04-01-13 04:43PM
Unregistered

Re: Kinda Late isnt it..??

quote:

[b]Have you actually read the women bashing on this site ??[b]

Abuse is NOT the fault of the "too sensitive" person...

There should be respect for people and in particular Women Curlers on this site.. there NEVER has been

Glad your rel. with women are fine.. and if so why do you have "defend" yourself??

If you look at what used to be a flourishing MANY dialogues on this site..
I would say the sexism is just one of the reasons the numbers have plummeted...

I wont write back so dont expect a further comment..

who wants to face attacks like have be ALLOWED to happen on here

I read the comments and don't see any women bashing or abuse. I see names slung back and forth to both sexes and they don't bother me at all. I will stick with my first hunch - you are too sensitive. And since you aren't commenting anymore.....good riddance. Have a nice day.

04-01-13 04:59PM
Unregistered

The amount of venim that J Jones has taken the past couple of years is ridiculous. She didn't replace her third in the best way to be sure, but people have definitely taken the opportunity to vent their own personal frustions by creating this faux outrage surrounding her decision.

The complaints that Rachel recieved recently for the handshakes after the Scotland loss were mainly by JJ supporters looking to lash out at all the crap that she's taken over the last two years. I have no doubt about this. So they are sadly only making the situation worse, because people will only bank it and come back even worse the next time. A vicious circle of pathetic human beings filled with hatred.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.166.28.110

04-01-13 05:18PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

For anyone to suggest Women's curlers get a fair shake on here have their head in the sand. Women do things on the ice and get called bitches while Men do the same and get called competitive.

It's not fair, and I would like to see posters consider this when they're commenting on the games. I don't have time to police this all, and if I tried I'd never get any other work done.

Before you say something, please consider whether you'd say it to the face of the individual you're writing about.

04-01-13 05:28PM
Unregistered

How many mods are on this site? The solution is to have user mods(aka deputies). Just imagine that the curlers being discussed are reading the stuff, and then act accordingly around that. How can you expect to have a respectful, welcoming site when you don't have enough traps in place (mods) to get rid of the rats.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.166.28.110

04-01-13 06:28PM
Unregistered

Specific men get called names and specific women get called names. While it may not be wonderful for the actual person to read these comments, free speech and yadda yadda... Having said this I have never seen any evidence of "sexism." For me, sexism is the bashing of an entire sex - in this case, women. Perhaps it comes down to how a person defines sexism, but an accusation of this nature is much more serious than just commenting on a certain person. Yes, I know that things can be said without name calling, but again...free speech and yadda yadda. If a poster comments on one male or female curler it is a far stretch to say that the poster is sexist. Just my humble opinion. Cheers.

04-01-13 07:26PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

I suppose the best thing anyone can do is simply call a spade a spade and tell it like it is, regardless of being male or female...

JH

04-02-13 09:55AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Before you say something, please consider whether you'd say it to the face of the individual you're writing about.

Well said!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.205.122.30

04-02-13 09:57AM
Unregistered

quote:
How many mods are on this site? The solution is to have user mods(aka deputies). Just imagine that the curlers being discussed are reading the stuff, and then act accordingly around that. How can you expect to have a respectful, welcoming site when you don't have enough traps in place (mods) to get rid of the rats.

It's quite simple people. Act civilized. If you wouldn't say it face to face, don't say it here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.205.122.30

04-02-13 01:24PM
Unregistered

Smile

Thanks Gerry for all the hard work you do in providing this site for fans of the curling world! I have seen you at many events in and around Ontario where you are providing coverage and follow you on facebook "Curling Zone" as you travel around the world providing coverage of other events. I can't imagine how you keep up as it is and editing posts regularly just seems almost impossible.

Kudos on a job well done!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.35.210.35

04-02-13 01:51PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

3 posts by registered users. 12 unregistered.

Too many over-sensitive people.

Make everyone register. Bar the abusive ones.

04-03-13 02:00AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Clinking on links...

Gerry, Thanks for the reminders about clicking on your links to keep these forums free. And your reminder about how to report those who need a time-out. Cheers.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gerry
[B]I appreciate the feedback and we try our best to police the forums as best as possible and remove the offensive comments.

The forums make CurlingZone very little money, and the time spent dealing with all the posts on here is wasted time for me. They're here to give fans ...

04-03-13 09:11AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Stick to Curling Gerry, not Politics!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
As for "finally" doing something, I just came across the Howard vs. Heidi study in a CNN news story and I thought it was totally relevant to the forums on here. And posted it right away.

Anderson Cooper repeated the now dated study recently and got the exact opposite results.

Article Link

Last edited by Guest on 04-03-13 at 09:18AM

04-03-13 09:30AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
3 posts by registered users. 12 unregistered.

Too many over-sensitive people.

Make everyone register. Bar the abusive ones.

Whatever. You're just as anonymous as any unregistered poster.

Good on Gerry for posting the link. And isn't it surprising-lol-that Manitoba Legend hasn't commented on it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.227

04-03-13 10:10AM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Whatever. You're just as anonymous as any unregistered poster.

Good on Gerry for posting the link. And isn't it surprising-lol-that Manitoba Legend hasn't commented on it.

ML did comment. And as mentioned above the original study was repeated with different results which of course casts doubt onto the original study.

04-03-13 10:33AM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

Disappointed...I thought the link would be about a Heidi Hanlon vs Russ Howard battle of NB.

04-03-13 07:20PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Yeah, I didn't read the article, just assumed that maybe TSN was replacing Russ Howard with someone named Heidi...