Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-12-21 03:04PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

TSN coverage

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate TSN's curling coverage?
Every year I hope they have stepped into the 21st century and every year I see the same old same old.
Look at the coverage of bowling, the analytics are fantastic and they make a simple, fairly boring game much more interesting. They have release point, ball speed, rotation speed and measure the curvature. All of these could be applied to curling. Instead of talking about how a 4 rotation rock curls more than one that rotates 7 times they could show it. Instead of talking about how Homan's rock runs differently than Jones's they could show it.
But they don't. They make a lot of money on their curling, you would think they would want to grow their audience as the one they have isn't exactly skewing younger. They seem happy doing the same show they did in 1995 and Vic playing the doofus was stale even then.
Now maybe I'm just a get off of my lawn crackpot so I'd like to hear some other opinions. I'd give their coverage a 5-6 out of 10.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-12-21 03:27PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Same

02-12-21 03:40PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

The fact they actually show a game every draw, I give them 10/10. However, I do agree that Vic's buffoonery grew old MANY years ago. I liked it a few years back, sometimes, usually the night draw, they'd have 2 different games on different channels. I think David Nedohin did a great job alongside Bryan Mudryk.

Overall I'd still give them 9/10 because these days, any coverage is good coverage.

02-12-21 04:07PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
The fact they actually show a game every draw, I give them 10/10. However, I do agree that Vic's buffoonery grew old MANY years ago. I liked it a few years back, sometimes, usually the night draw, they'd have 2 different games on different channels. I think David Nedohin did a great job alongside Bryan Mudryk.

Overall I'd still give them 9/10 because these days, any coverage is good coverage.

I agree, they show all the games they can, long days for them.

Much better than none at all or when CBC used to take over for the finals.

02-12-21 05:06PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

I must say really like Mike Harris and Kevin Martin on Sportsnet , but not Rob Faulds. I agree that Vic's routine is getting old. I actually don't mind Russ and Cheryl but would like them honestly say when teams make a bad call. I'm not a fan of Mudryk. If I had a choice on one TSN feed, forget the announcers and let me listen to all the players, even when their team isn't throwing.

02-12-21 09:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I wont rate using numbers but i will give my individual opinion:

cathy gauthier doesnt get much love here but i find her to be the most tolerable of the group. she does tend to talk a lot but at least its always about curling and the current match and she's not constantly tongue bathing the top teams like the other 3

brian - i just dont like him

russ - i have lost a lot of respect for rus since he started commen tating. he gets names wrong a lot. he constantly goes into gol analogies which dont line up a fair number of times. and the worst part of the double standard he has for top teams and lower ranked team. ednlessly heaping praise on , lets say rachel homan for example . ranting about her even when she's not even the feature match.

cheryl - she's disappointing. she has no voice of her own. most of her commentary is just trying to fit in with the boys and going along with what they say. that might have been understandable year one but not anymore. i really miss l,inda. she had her own opinion and she wasnt afraid to put rus and vic in their place

vic- just annoying. someone really needs to tell him that adding "no offense" before making an offensive statement doesnt mnean its no longer offensive. and he does that a lot. on top of that he gets team names and members wrong a lot, calls the score wrong. i dont know whats going on, if hes not paying attention fully but you can count on him to make a mistake a good half a dozen times during any game

overall they're just not that good. when linda and ray were around they were fantastic . i had no complaints. im kind of wishing they'd find a way to poach kevin or mike away from sportsnet and replace russ with them.

as a network i appreciate the coverage. i do ish we could get more. like..all of the canadian juniors, not just the semis and final and i wish theyd cover more than just canadas games at worlds.id also like it if they could broadcast world juniors. that being said i understand the money may not be there to do that

Last edited by misty1 on 02-12-21 at 09:56PM

02-13-21 12:30AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
overall they're just not that good. when linda and ray were around they were fantastic . i had no complaints. im kind of wishing they'd find a way to poach kevin or mike away from sportsnet and replace russ with them.

Totally agree.
Russ is all about the top few teams and the back ends only.
Cheryl is mostly empty advice. Teams "have to have a plan", they "need to focus on their strengths" and sometimes "dig deep".
I also think Cathy is underutilized. She knows a lot of details about the players and having been a front end player she has perspective on that part of the game.
I would actually like to see an announcing team of Cathy in Vic's host role with Martin and Harris as analysts.

02-13-21 01:00PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I’m going to post here with my American hat firmly in my head. You don’t know how lucky you are to have the TSN crew you’ve got. Compared to any American coverage I’ve ever seen, or heck any coverage from other countries too, the TSN commentators and crew are light years ahead of all of them. And were I a Canadian, I would call Vic a national treasure.

02-13-21 08:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky
I must say really like Mike Harris and Kevin Martin on Sportsnet , but not Rob Faulds. I agree that Vic's routine is getting old. I actually don't mind Russ and Cheryl but would like them honestly say when teams make a bad call. I'm not a fan of Mudryk. If I had a choice on one TSN feed, forget the announcers and let me listen to all the players, even when their team isn't throwing.

I DO like the idea of being able to listen to the players talk through the shots, even during the shots. Biggest problem is that announcers are fighting over each other's voices so that "they can be heard, listen to me". Love to see TSN go back to 2 draws at the same time, one with the constant verbal diarrhea, one with just the players. Curious to see which gets the better reception and ratings.

02-14-21 06:36AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I have no issues with the TSN or Sportsnet coverage - I'm just happy that they cover curling and that we get as many games on TV as we do.

I would not like it if they started to get into all kinds of silly statistical analytics - that would help to ruin the game for me.

I'd like to see TSN (or Sportsnet) get Guy Hemmings away from RDS. I doubt that would happen, as there aren't really any other French speaking curlers who could be commentators (unless Menard wants to take a shot at it).
Hemmings talks far too much during games on RDS (I suppose he feels he has to carry the show), so if he ever switched over to an English broadcast, they'd have to muzzle him somewhat.
But he knows the game, and he's a funny guy - so he'd be enjoyable to have there.

I also think the Wrench would be a blast as a commentator. Someone should try to convince him.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-14-21 10:02AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

ann swisshelm , i think does a good job for the american broadcasters. again, maybe talks a little much but she knows what she\s talking about and i think overall she does a good job

steph lewdrew also did a fantastic job for the canadian juniors a while ago. if she ever decided she wanted to do it full time she'd be a great addition. smart and didnt talk over the curlers. also very good job explaining strategy for the fans at home

i think what i appreciate about mike and kevin on sportsnet is that they arent afraid to call out even the top teams on their strategy. their analysis is also 2nd to none. the ideal broadcasting crew for me would be:

kevin martin
mike harris
steph lewdrew
cathy gauthier

never happen but i think that would be a great crew

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-21 at 10:07AM

02-14-21 12:54PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

There is an English or Scottish woman who does the games in Europe who I quite like. Way way less talk. She lets the action speak for itself, when players are pounding a rock I don't need to hear "will it get by, will it get by, WILL IT GET BY?". She also doesn't talk over the player's discussions which TSN does constantly.

02-14-21 02:27PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Rhona Martin?

02-14-21 03:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
There is an English or Scottish woman who does the games in Europe who I quite like. Way way less talk. She lets the action speak for itself, when players are pounding a rock I don't need to hear "will it get by, will it get by, WILL IT GET BY?". She also doesn't talk over the player's discussions which TSN does constantly.

yeah, thats rhona Howie(formerly Rhona Martin)

02-14-21 03:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Just for fun

Cut the last 20 posters please list the items they have purchased that were advertised by the curling sponsors

Thank you

First off I try to support the local sponsors that sponsor the teams here.

Off hand I buy Tim Horton's
Scotties TP and paper towels
Oxford blue berries
Home hardware
Pinty's when they're on sale

So far no need for farm equipment or fertilizers
There are no Humpty's or Mr Mikes steakhouses here

I'm sure I'm missing some.

02-14-21 04:40PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i have actually never tried pinty's. i have to watc h my sodium intake now so i cant but im curious what its like. is the food good?

02-14-21 04:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I've had their wings and I will admit they are better than most all of the other frozen wings out there. However, at times they can cost up to 50% more than say President's Choice or Sobeys brands. They would be similar to M and M wings. Good, but pricey.

Not sure about the salt but they do taste good.

02-14-21 08:29PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Mike Harris is by far the worst curling commentator on any channel. You can just feel Kevin Martin rolling his eyes whn Mike speaks.

02-14-21 09:32PM
NOLA_Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NOLA_Curler Find more posts by NOLA_Curler Add NOLA_Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NOLA_Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I’m going to post here with my American hat firmly in my head. You don’t know how lucky you are to have the TSN crew you’ve got. Compared to any American coverage I’ve ever seen, or heck any coverage from other countries too, the TSN commentators and crew are light years ahead of all of them. And were I a Canadian, I would call Vic a national treasure.

I agree 100%. Although I am American, I look forward to the TSN broadcasts of the Scotties and Brier on ESPN3 every year. I enjoy Vic and find Cheryl, Russ, Cathy, and Bryan to all be capable commentators. And the production value alone makes our American web-based broadcasts almost unwatchable by comparison.

Last edited by NOLA_Curler on 02-14-21 at 09:35PM

02-15-21 12:42PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Just for fun

Cut the last 20 posters please list the items they have purchased that were advertised by the curling sponsors

Thank you

I use pioneer to control my clubroot and sclerotinia and I spread it using a Karcher power washed Kubota tractor while sipping a Timmies and snacking on a Pintys chicken finger.

02-15-21 11:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Or for those who remember....
A hand drawn facsimile

02-16-21 12:53PM
leslie2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leslie2 Find more posts by leslie2 Add leslie2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leslie2
Knee-Slider

I mute whenever Cheryl is commentating. Her word pronunciation, poor grammar and constant giggling are like nails on a chalkboard to me. eg. cuz, eKspecially, ya (you), ta (to), yer (you are, your), gonna shoulda, coulda (a for have), goin, sweepin, (all ing words), etc.

I have never curled but got interested when Linda and Ray were commentating. They were excellent teachers.

I continue to learn from Sportsnet commentating. They are also excellent teachers (especially Kevin).

Why isn't Steph Ledrew commentating? She is an excellent speaker, knows when to talk and is so observant and knowledgeable.

02-16-21 03:06PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

My favourite color commentator is Guy Hemmings, because he`s brutally honest since I don`t think that (insert any non-Quebec curler) would even know what he said about them. Then again, you need to understand French.

02-17-21 11:40AM
RMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RMc Click here to Send RMc a Private Message Find more posts by RMc Add RMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RMc
Knee-Slider

I have nothing but respect for TSN and Sportsnet for bringing us as much Curling as they possibly can, but I wouldn't say either of their coverage is particularly good. The advancements in curling coverage are HD video and high quality mic/audio, because the most interesting part of curling for me is hearing the players discuss shots/strategy. Other than that, little has changed in Decades, I've watched a tonne of old games on Youtube this year and things look pretty similar. Have they found the perfect formula, or are they too scared to try anything new?

One thing I'm looking forward to is the just announced "Pre-game" shows that Colleen and Devin at CBC will be doing this year, as well, Comedian and Podcaster John Cullen is doing Pre-game shows on Instagram Live. Sounds like both will be doing some interesting stories and interviews with curlers in the bubble, and I'm excited that someone has finally branched outside to alternative media coverage to try and bring curling into the 21st century. All the talk of shortening the games, but I'm all for more and more coverage, including outside of the games.

02-20-21 11:51PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Another American, got into it when we had Duguid and Chevrier calling it at the Salt Lake olympics.

I guess I don’t get the complaints. I mean, I do, but they feel like the hardcore fans complaining about the same things hardcore fans of any other sport complain about for national telecasts. I mean Milbury for heavens sake. The TSN people are all capable and fine. They seem to get along and have fun, it’s not perfect and it’s sanitized and bland for the national audience, but I’m quite sure that’s the point. Vic’s job is basically “be appealing to as many people as possible and constantly mention that they’re currently televising one of the 16 players that a random channel flipper might have heard of.”

Within that constraint, he’s wonderful. And for 60 seconds each end we get the Canadian commercials and I better not see Pierre Luc DuBois’ smiling mug or I’m putting a shoe through my TV.