Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 17 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-27-20 01:49PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Being very serious about this. I really don't know about the quality of thirds left in Man, Sask, Alberta and Ontario not on a team.
Do you think that she could find a good third. Obviously there is a ready made front end waiting for her in Manitoba

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-27-20 01:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Question for those of you who know the Slams.

With Chelsea Carey's team splitting up completely does that leave her out in the cold when it comes to getting into Slam events? Or does her name and Canadian championship from 2019 get her invited if she puts together a new team?

03-27-20 01:54PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I only mentioned those provinces because of how close they are to Manitoba.

03-27-20 02:27PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Question for those of you who know the Slams.

With Chelsea Carey's team splitting up completely does that leave her out in the cold when it comes to getting into Slam events? Or does her name and Canadian championship from 2019 get her invited if she puts together a new team?

Slams are all about the points standings to qualify. However, most slams leave one spot available for sponsors pick or local pick. Unless she picks up 3 players already ranked top 15 in the world, she'll be outside looking in

03-27-20 03:51PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Carey will have a hard time making the first two slams. Her team was on the outside looking in had teams stayed the same. She'll probably get teammates on teams that were ranked lower. She could make the Tier 2 challenge since top 30 usually gets you a spot on the women's side with international teams declining to concentrate on continentals. It's possible with a good early start to make the other slams though. Sponsors' exemption could be in play for the National too.

03-27-20 09:18PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Agree with BMalky on Russ/Cheryl..... don’t mind Bryan in morning, Cathy on mute. What would we complain about if TSN didn’t give us the coverage?

03-27-20 10:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

TSN does give us the majority of coverage and i am greatful. we still ,however only get semis and finals of canadian juniors, we still only get games that canada is involved in at worlds. coverage for canadian mixed and mixed worlds is still pretty poor and mixed 4-man doesnt even get attention at all. im hoping some of that will change but not holding my breath

also, just because we complain about the commentators doesnt mean we arent greatful to be able to watch the games

getting off topic though. the interesting topic of whether or not tennis or soccer will continue in 2020 has been raised. the popular theory is that neither will not be played again in 2020. the reasoning being that, without a vaccine people are going to have to be very careful. once restictions are lifted it'd be all to easy for this to start all over again. tgranted curling's crowds are nowhere near as large but they do still bring in audiences. groupings of people banned now in several places. now..is it possible that not just tennis and soccer but sport in general is done being played in 2020?

if so how would curling adjust. if, hypothetically the first 5 moths of the season are cut out or reduced/pushed back what would that mean for 2021

Last edited by misty1 on 03-27-20 at 10:59PM

03-27-20 11:14PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but sports as we know it are probable on hold until at least September. No Hockey, Basketball Football etc,
Spectator attended sports will be greatly curtailed.
Creative solutions will have to be arrived at.
Curling could become one of those sports where TV is easily set up.
Curling events don't have to be played in big venues. You may see 4 sheet curling clubs host events with TV coverage and no spectators.
The smart people will come out of the woodwork, and see an opportunity.

03-27-20 11:57PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

There would also be the opportunity of much more live streaming.
I watched the Saskatchewan Ladies play down on live stream.
The production was not as elaborate as TSN or Sportsnet productions, but but the actual curling view was excellent,

03-28-20 05:26AM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Ontario skip Jacqueline Harrison has formed a new team for next season with third Alli Flaxey, second Lynn Kreviazuk and lead Laura Hickey.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/h...reID3gS8

I just realized that this is team constructed a la Einerson. All 4 played skip or third last year. Interesting

03-28-20 07:34AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
TSN does give us the majority of coverage and i am greatful. we still ,however only get semis and finals of canadian juniors, we still only get games that canada is involved in at worlds

It's not TSN, but for 2020 you do have all the draws of the Canadian Juniors on YouTube. There was some fun ends in that event, like the one with a center guard that is fully before the hog line, completely legitimate and in play by all the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGMYhfCD7I

It's also not TSN, but WCF has the non-Canadian matches on their YouTube channel. Some videos are geoblocked, but most aren't.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV/videos

03-28-20 07:55AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

It's not TSN, but for 2020 you do have all the draws of the Canadian Juniors on YouTube. There was some fun ends in that event, like the one with a center guard that is fully before the hog line, completely legitimate and in play by all the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGMYhfCD7I

It's also not TSN, but WCF has the non-Canadian matches on their YouTube channel. Some videos are geoblocked, but most aren't.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV/videos

yeah but the problem with webstreams is they can be geoblocked. i'd like to see them get on actual tv

03-28-20 08:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but sports as we know it are probable on hold until at least September. No Hockey, Basketball Football etc,
Spectator attended sports will be greatly curtailed.
Creative solutions will have to be arrived at.
Curling could become one of those sports where TV is easily set up.
Curling events don't have to be played in big venues. You may see 4 sheet curling clubs host events with TV coverage and no spectators.
The smart people will come out of the woodwork, and see an opportunity.

its true curling requires far less people involved. however, even if you include only the teams, ice crew and volunteers thats still, even in the smallest spiels around 100 people which might be to much for comfort.

even if curling is allowed to go on who's to say tavel restrictions wont still be in place. canada has the quarantine act enabled now. anyone coming in has to self isolate for 2 weeks and thats the case even traveling within canada. if thats still in effect come september it'll really make things difficult.

we'll see how things are in 6 months. things should be better or we could be in the 2nd wave. one thing is for sure. people wont feel better until there's a vaccine and thats still a long way away. by an estimate of more than 1 article i read 12-18 months

even if things have gotten to the point where they can at least run spiels i do think the major events might still have an issue being held. that includes the slams

Last edited by misty1 on 03-28-20 at 08:06AM

03-28-20 10:46AM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

All very good points. 6 months may be more realistic as a minimum.
I still think curling has much better chance of going forward in some manner than the major sports.
I think our major problem is going to be at the local level. Many curling clubs will not open for various reasons, including government regulations.
But, you know what? If we lost the whole season, it is a small price to pay in order to keep people healthy.

03-28-20 12:43PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
All very good points. 6 months may be more realistic as a minimum.
I still think curling has much better chance of going forward in some manner than the major sports.
I think our major problem is going to be at the local level. Many curling clubs will not open for various reasons, including government regulations.
But, you know what? If we lost the whole season, it is a small price to pay in order to keep people healthy.

i agree. safety is more important. it just sucks as a curling fan. and it sucks as a tennis fan. you dont realize how much you'd miss it until you dont have it anymore

if curling's season is lost it does raise all kind of problem that would need to be fixed and with no simple solution. olympic qualification being the biggest one.

03-28-20 01:07PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:

i agree. safety is more important. it just sucks as a curling fan. and it sucks as a tennis fan. you dont realize how much you'd miss it until you dont have it anymore

if curling's season is lost it does raise all kind of problem that would need to be fixed and with no simple solution. olympic qualification being the biggest one.

If olympic qualifications became a problem there would have to be some creative thinking. For instance 16 teams don't have to all curl at the same location.
There could be 4 , four team eliminations rounds all held in various Curling clubs.
The winner of those four could participate in a "final four"
the next week

I am am only using this as an example. Canada is a resilient country and there are a lot of smart people here.

As far as the slams are concerned, maybe it is time we looked after the Canadian competitive curlers not other countries. It would be much easier to control the virus if air travel etc was not part of the package.

03-28-20 03:17PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

If olympic qualifications became a problem there would have to be some creative thinking. For instance 16 teams don't have to all curl at the same location.
There could be 4 , four team eliminations rounds all held in various Curling clubs.
The winner of those four could participate in a "final four"
the next week

I am am only using this as an example. Canada is a resilient country and there are a lot of smart people here.

As far as the slams are concerned, maybe it is time we looked after the Canadian competitive curlers not other countries. It would be much easier to control the virus if air travel etc was not part of the package.

im not gonna get into the whole "slams should not invite international teams" thing. all i will say about it is that the top canadian teams want the international teams there. they've said it themselves more than once. they wouldnt want the internationals blocked from competing. it may not seem like it to you but it helps both sides

in a hypothetical where curling cant be played next year either the only idea i could see for olympic qualification would be use the points from the 2018 and 2019 worlds. it might be the only option

03-28-20 03:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
The only tennis player on the planet who may be welcoming the unpleasant virus respite is Canadian sensation Bianca Adreescu - who's year was on the verge of imploding due to a knee injury that didn't want to heel.

Hopefully, Bianca will be OK once tennis resumes. She's a credit to the game - a fierce tryer and her resilience vs. the greatest monster in tennis history, Serena Williams will long be remembered when she managed to conquer a fierce & laser focused Serena - who thought she could use her legendary will & strength to force Bianca to succumb.
Breaking Old News: Bianca withstood the fierce Serena comeback and took her 1st major title.

Other Canadians are rising, mostly in the mens division - but Layla Fernandez seems to be a real comer.

Genie Bouchard? That's another story!

no, i dont think she is. no one is. because most of the tennis players dont have access to tennis facilities. they can train and maintain fitness but its really going to screw with you if you dont pick up a racquet and compete for over a year.

03-28-20 03:59PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

no, i dont think she is. no one is. because most of the tennis players dont have access to tennis facilities. they can train and maintain fitness but its really going to screw with you if you dont pick up a racquet and compete for over a year.

^ Actually, several of the pro players do have access to courts, as they have a court at home. And they can - and will - invite other pro players over to play practice matches.
Also, some of those who don't have a court at home can afford to build one - which they may do soon.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-28-20 05:10PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

For those concerned about Olympic trials don't waste the energy. If covid is still a problem in a year they will be least of our worries.
I'm optimistic the first wave will be done by July/August. If the estimates that 30-70% of Canada will be infected in this stage that means the same number will be immune and any future outbreaks will not have the same explosive transmission ability (from what I've read people who get it will be immune for at least one year, possibly several but they don't know how long yet).

Bigger fish to fry obviously but for the curling world the bigger issue will be the clubs and not the slams or trials. In Wpg at least 4 clubs closed in last decade (Rossmere my have reopened, not sure though) and there are several others just squeaking by. Without big influx of dues in Oct they are done.

Stay safe.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-28-20 at 05:12PM

03-28-20 07:13PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:

im not gonna get into the whole "slams should not invite international teams" thing. all i will say about it is that the top canadian teams want the international teams there. they've said it themselves more than once. they wouldnt want the internationals blocked from competing. it may not seem like it to you but it helps both sides

in a hypothetical where curling cant be played next year either the only idea i could see for olympic qualification would be use the points from the 2018 and 2019 worlds. it might be the only option

I didn't mean to imply that we should never invite internationals, if that is the way it came across, my bad.
As a one off, for a year, to protect our competitive curlers, only have Canadians there, less air travel problems.

Furthermore, with regard to the Olympics, I agree, it is probably the least of our problems

03-28-20 07:53PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:

yeah but the problem with webstreams is they can be geoblocked.

TSN doesn't geoblock games not shown on their network. So, it's a moot point.

03-28-20 11:58PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

TSN doesn't geoblock games not shown on their network. So, it's a moot point.

Yes. But world curling YouTube Does. Any Canadian game is geo blocked if it's broadcast by tsn. Unless others find a way "VPN" they can't see Canadian games.

Other countries can watch them all that aren't Canadian tsn games.

03-29-20 12:36AM
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Yes. But world curling YouTube Does. Any Canadian game is geo blocked if it's broadcast by tsn. Unless others find a way "VPN" they can't see Canadian games.

Other countries can watch them all that aren't Canadian tsn games.

Yes and we weren't talking about that. We were talking about games at Worlds not featuring Canadian teams and from the past 2 years, if they weren't shown on TSN, the games were available. It was even possible to watch another game that was going at the same time as Canada's game if they had multiple broadcasts on the same draw.

I could understand if misty1 wants TSN to actually broadcast those games, and that is a valid point, but the point about geoblocking games not shown on TV wasn't a valid point, since they weren't geoblocked.

03-29-20 10:19AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
For those concerned about Olympic trials don't waste the energy. If covid is still a problem in a year they will be least of our worries.
I'm optimistic the first wave will be done by July/August. If the estimates that 30-70% of Canada will be infected in this stage that means the same number will be immune and any future outbreaks will not have the same explosive transmission ability (from what I've read people who get it will be immune for at least one year, possibly several but they don't know how long yet).

Bigger fish to fry obviously but for the curling world the bigger issue will be the clubs and not the slams or trials. In Wpg at least 4 clubs closed in last decade (Rossmere my have reopened, not sure though) and there are several others just squeaking by. Without big influx of dues in Oct they are done.

Stay safe.

Yes with the shutdown of sports clubs, a number of clubs which were struggling financially before are on the edge of bankruptcy now. No clubs means fewer curlers...