Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > European championships 2022

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-23-22 03:23AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I must say that I enjoy seeing Sophie Jackson as Team Scotland. Although being partnered with Sophie Sinclair makes for a confusing front-end duo in this directional sweeping era.

I wonder if there had been elite front-end duo with the same first names before.

//edit: I'm pretty sure Sophie Jackson is "Soph" and Sophie Sinclair is "Sinc".

That front end for Scotland are not world class to say the least….

I think Morrison and Aitken need to bring in Muirhead’s front end. Hailey Duff is the alternate and Dodds is only playing MD so no reason to think they wouldn’t be keen to run it back.

I think a team of Duff, Dodds, Aitken and Morrison could compete for a medal in 2026.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-23-22 04:30AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Looks like Jackson has been benched and Hailey Duff is in the game at lead

11-23-22 05:59AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

What is amazing along with Italy is the performance of the teams from Turkey - both can still make the play offs.

Anna Hasselborg has just lost (again) to Italy 7-4 - and Sweden face Turkey in their final match tonight. The Italians got a four in the 10th to win.

If Turkey win that they make the semis - even if Anna wins she may not.

Norway and Scotland face each other this evening to decide who gets 7th place and a slot in the women's worlds.

11-23-22 06:24AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Women's standings with just one game left

Denmark 7-1 [Q]
Switzerland 6-2 [Q]
Germany 5-3
Italy 5-3
Turkiye 5-3
Norway 4-4
Scotland 4-4
Sweden 4-4
Latvia 0-8 [E]
Hungary 0-8 [E]

Last games:

Norway v Scotland
Hungary v Latvia
Sweden v Turkiye
Denmark v Germany
Switzerland v Italy

Norway/Scotland loser is eliminated, as are Sweden if they lose to Turkiye. In any case, Sweden, Norway and Scotland are all gone with Germany and Italy wins (Or Scotland/Norway gone with a Turkiye win and either Germany or Italy win)

If two or all three of the 5-3 teams lose then there will be a confusing tiebreaker

11-23-22 01:46PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I've only watched one game of the new Team Tirinzoni (I hadn't watched any of the Grand Slams), and I really like the role that Carole Howald seems to play in calming Tirinzoni's nerves (she herself admitted that she can be a nervous wreck). A lot of pats in the back, etc.

May not mean much in the bigger picture, but managing the skip's temperament is one aspect of teamwork in curling that I do enjoy watching.

11-23-22 04:19PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I predict double medals, maybe double gold for Switzerland, or double silver for Italy.

//edit: actually, 5 countries 6 medals means at least one country is going to bag 2 medals no matter what.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-23-22 at 04:32PM

11-23-22 05:54PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Martym
Italy and Scotland - both unbeaten - and Switzerland have already qualified for the men's semis with two sessions still to play.

Final spot looks to be between Sweden and Turkey who play tomorrow and Germany.

On the women's side Denmark and Switzerland have qualified with Hungary and Latvia relegated. In theory any of the other six could still make the semis but Scotland is probably out of it.

If Scotland don't beat Hungary tomorrow they could end up out of the top 7 and fail to make the worlds.

https://worldcurling.org/events/ecc...eType=standings

Scotland was never looking to miss out on a worlds appearance. Its the top 8 teams of this event, not 7, who will qualify.

11-23-22 06:42PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

lol we made the semis. Relegation my arse

11-23-22 07:28PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911

Scotland was never looking to miss out on a worlds appearance. Its the top 8 teams of this event, not 7, who will qualify.

Sorry my mistake. I thought Europe only got 7 slots - as Sweden had already qualified as hosts?

That would have become an issue if Sweden finished in 9th or 10th - but they didn't.

Still amazed Scotland made the play offs after their last end win against Norway - they were 5-2 down going into the break,

https://twitter.com/scottishcurling...22024092360708?

So its Denmark vs Scotland and the Swiss vs Italy in tomorrow's womens semis.

Only issue to be decided in the men's final round robin is who plays who in the semis out of Scotland, Switzerland, Italy and Sweden. Sweden are guaranteed to play the 1st ranked team - currently Italy but Italy play Scotland.

Would you want to lose that game to avoid the Swedes?

11-23-22 08:07PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Martym
I thought Europe only got 7

European gets the bonus 13th spot for both Men's and Women's this season. Go read WCF 2022 rules, it's all explained there.

Personally I think the way they did it this season is kind of rigged, but it would be more of a fair fight starting next season.

But to put it simply, depending on which zone gets the bonus 13th spot, European might qualify 8, or Pan-Continental might qualify 6, one or the other.

11-23-22 09:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
lol we made the semis. Relegation my arse

ARSE Love it. Still well used in Atlantic Canada. Like the chances for Italy on the men's side

Got to see them play here first hand last year. Good team.

11-23-22 09:41PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Watching SWE vs TUR women's game, and it's frustrating how close TUR was to beating SWE and making it to the playoff instead of SCO, but they missed too many simple shots. An open hit and roll out to blank completely whiffed, giving up a steal. Hit and stick rolled out repeatedly.

It's quite an improvement for TUR with both men and women in Worlds, which is exciting, and still time for improvement.

I love the "rug" patterns on their uniforms. SCO also has tartan patterns on their uniforms, which is also a very nice touch.

11-24-22 10:10AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Niklas Edin sounds exactly like Sander Rolvag.

11-24-22 12:22PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Niklas Edin sounds exactly like Sander Rolvag.

They're both male world curling champions from Scandinavia, but otherwise they sound absolutely nothing alike to me.

11-24-22 03:03PM
shocka22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shocka22 Find more posts by shocka22 Add shocka22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shocka22
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know that we weren't good so far this season, but still didn't think that Team Hasselborg won't make the playoffs. This one stinks! Worlds are in a real danger, have to beat Team Wrana if want to qualify. With this level of playing, it's a big doubt

11-25-22 10:46AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Phenomenal bronze for Scotland after everyone telling us we’d be screwed after the Muirhead retirement.

11-25-22 11:32AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Phenomenal bronze for Scotland after everyone telling us we’d be screwed after the Muirhead retirement.
Agree. I have been watching Morrison for a few years. She has been getting good results. Skipper through and through.

11-25-22 03:41PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Carole Howald [...] A lot of pats in the back

Carole Howald stepped up a notch and kissed Briar Schwaller-Hürlimann in the cheek after winning semifinal.

I'd like to see them win gold just to see her next level.

11-26-22 06:23AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I am extatic to see Denmark win the final. The Dupont sisters have been around for so long. It's great to see them finally get a gold medal. And yeah, the fact that I was tired of seeing Switzerland , Scotland or Sweden win everything also makes this sweet.

Just want to also comment turkey on an amazing championship too. Both men and women going to worlds. It's incredible. Think they've only Ben curling for 10 years? Maybe 15. They've progressed pretty quickly

One thing though. Yes I have to admit I was wrng on Scotland, congrats to them. But you will never, ever convince me that DSC is a fair ay to eliminate teams from a major event. Turkey and Sweden should have been involved with Scotland in tiebreakers

Last edited by misty1 on 11-26-22 at 06:48AM

11-26-22 06:39AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

What a tournament for Denmark. Didn't know they had it in them.

11-26-22 06:48AM
old david is offline Click Here to See the Profile for old david Find more posts by old david Add old david to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
old david
Knee-Slider

Delighted for Denmark’s women’s team, much the best team of the week. Long time coming, and well deserved. I was very surprised that Alina’s final hit did not stick, she has percentages in final games as good as any player, male or female, this century.
Made up for former team mate Rebecca Morrison. I knew when she was 15 that the force was strong within her. Her slash in the ninth against Norway was my one ‘jump up and shout yes’ moment of the week.
Best Game? Unusually the Italy Sweden bronze medal game was a delight to watch. Retornaz’s draw weight was almost supernatural. If I dare paraphrase Sam Snead, you hit for show, but draw for dough.
The Recast television coverage varied from good enough to very good.

11-26-22 08:25AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I am extatic to see Denmark win the final. The Dupont sisters have been around for so long. It's great to see them finally get a gold medal. And yeah, the fact that I was tired of seeing Switzerland , Scotland or Sweden win everything also makes this sweet.

Just want to also comment turkey on an amazing championship too. Both men and women going to worlds. It's incredible. Think they've only Ben curling for 10 years? Maybe 15. They've progressed pretty quickly

One thing though. Yes I have to admit I was wrng on Scotland, congrats to them. But you will never, ever convince me that DSC is a fair ay to eliminate teams from a major event. Turkey and Sweden should have been involved with Scotland in tiebreakers

Agree about the DSC. This is sport, play the game to see who should be there at the end.

11-26-22 08:43AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Scotland qualified via head-to-head, not DSC.

The H2H results for the teams at 5-4 were:

Sweden 2-1
Scotland 2-1
Turkey 1-2
Germany 1-2

Scotland beat Sweden, and Turkey beat Germany so the final rankings were

4. Scotland
5. Sweden
6. Turkey
7. Germany

(DSC from best to worst was Sweden, Germany, Turkey, Scotland)

11-26-22 08:55AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

What happened to the Latvia Ladies? They were the last team eliminated from the Olympics qualifying, so I expected them to contend for a spot at world's, not go 0-9.

11-26-22 09:00AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

But DSC wasn't involved here. There were four teams with a 5-4 record, so they first went to head to head record among those teams. Turkey and Sweden were 1-2 within that group, so they were eliminated. Scotland and Sweden were both 2-1 within that group, so the final spot was determined with head-to-head record between those teams, with Scotland going by virtue of having beaten Sweden.

Head to head record is a more than fair way to break ties, IMO.