M: Farmers Edge SCT
Wadena, SK
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sat, Dec 7 -- 8:00am CT
Gamble Final
Meachem (7)
Hartung Final
Wills (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Poll: To register on CZ or not to register on CZ

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Should you be a registered member to post on CurlingZone?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely. I'd rather have fewer posts but better content. 37 43.53%
Not at all! I think having unregistered adds spice to the board. 27 31.76%
I think unregistered could stay...but maybe make it so only Members can post new topics. 21 24.71%
Total: 85 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-26-05 05:35PM
Dallas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dallas Click here to Send Dallas a Private Message Visit Dallas's homepage! Find more posts by Dallas Add Dallas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dallas
CZ Founder

Poll: To register on CZ or not to register on CZ

A number of the members in our community have complained to me as of late that they're getting fed up with the "unregistered" posts that sometimes get out of hand, and these people are among an increasing number that are asking that we do something about this as administrators of this forum.

Now, Gerry and I both value the freedom of expression...(as I have mentioned before)...and we really dont want to have to "police" these boards, as we all know how heavy handed "policing" has a way to kill discussion (as other boards have experienced in the past). But we also owe it to you, our member community, to listen to your concerns and to strive to continue to make CurlingZone the best online resource and curling community around!

So, I'd like to hear what people's thoughts are about Registration to post

We'll leave this poll open for a while, so we can get as many responses as we can. I will leave it open for both guests and members to respond...but this thread will be heavily moderated...so Trolls...Beware!

We will review what people have to say, and will come to a decision for the site after much thought and consideration. We're not going to rush to this decision, and really want to hear some good discussion on this issue from y'all.

PM me if you want to discuss privately with me about this.

Cheers!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-26-05 08:33PM
dbk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbk Click here to Send dbk a Private Message Find more posts by dbk Add dbk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbk
Zone Participant

registered posts only

I agree with the idea of registered posts only, in theory.

In practical application, however, I don't know that it will work. Those who wish to hide and take cheap shots will do so, anyways!

01-26-05 08:51PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

I won't agree with only registered posters only for 2 reasons
1. I am too lazy to register
2. There are a lot more posts when you don't have to register to post. Considering how unactive this board already is, if you made it members only there would probably only be about half as much posts as there is now. I wouldn't be talking right now if I had to register.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.70.95.203

01-26-05 09:01PM
TennSky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TennSky Click here to Send TennSky a Private Message Find more posts by TennSky Add TennSky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TennSky
Provincial Champion

Too lazy ? It takes maybe 1 minute

01-26-05 10:03PM
grooveh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grooveh Click here to Send grooveh a Private Message Find more posts by grooveh Add grooveh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grooveh
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I won't agree with only registered posters only for 2 reasons
1. I am too lazy to register
2. There are a lot more posts when you don't have to register to post. Considering how unactive this board already is, if you made it members only there would probably only be about half as much posts as there is now. I wouldn't be talking right now if I had to register.

Weak! That is about the lamest excuse in the book. Its not as if registering on this forum takes any time, or divulges any personal info about you.

Its funny...most BB's on the internet REQUIRE only registered posting, and they do not suffer much from that.

I find it funny that curlers are too lazy to even sign up for a curling BB....this laziness and apathy among curlers is exactly the reason why others see curling as such a joke sport!

01-26-05 10:18PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Membership should have its privileges

I'd like to see the system modified, since CZ is fast morphing into a forum where slagging off curlers, curling journalists and registered members is becoming the main reason why many people visit the Website. Serious posters will soon tire of this WWF approach to debate and “discussion” (I know I am) and lose interest and leave or migrate to another chat group.

Besides its getting very difficult, if not impossible, to follow the chain of debate in many (most) threads since "non- registered" posts outnumber member posts by about 10:1.

As TennSky noted, there is no practical reason not to register. It takes less than a minute and even then you can use a "handle" or pen name, so you don't have to ID yourself by name or even location anyway.

However, as it stands there is virtually NO INCENTIVE TO REGISTER at CZ. Membership does not have its privileges at the Curling Zone. As Paul Krugman (economist) once said: “People respond to incentives. The rest is details.” And besides, the whole idea of the exercise is to get people to register as full members and to get them to log on properly.

So for what its worth:

1) I don’t feel that non-registered posters should be able to start new threads - absolutely not. This alone should cut down the number of inflamminatory posts, since most of the slagathons start when our anonymous “bravehearts” set up gratuitous or confrontational threads.

2) I would also like to see posting privileges to non-registered posters restricted to a limited number of the main forums. I’d leave the “Pit” and “Rock Talk” to all and sundry and the rest (like the Media Forum) should require a log on. Of course non-registered lurkers would be free to browse any and all forums.

3) I’d also like to see IP’s posted. This in no way identifies a specific poster as to name, but it enables you to follow the flow of a discussion and reply to a specific poster. It also works to reduce the number of posts from trolls, since listing any information, even an IP address, usually is enough to induce a cold sweat or wet Pampers to these sorts of individuals. It also prevents, what I feel is becoming an issue here at CZ, in that some posters are posting replies and retorts to their own posts.

Showing IP’s is very common in sports forums; possibly because of the intense emotional feelings and hence “spirited” debate that sports often induce.

4) Only registered members should have access to most of the excellent informational material here at CZ. “Curling Commentary,” “News,” photos, and other material that you guys spend a lot of time putting up at CZ, should be available to registered members only. And obviously, it should be strictly members only for polls.

Membership should have its privileges !!!!

I think implementing some or all of these changes would have a two-fold effect. a) There would be many more bona fide registered members; b) the gratuitous trolling would be reduced substantially.

The result: a more effective, user-friendly and informative Website - and a long term recipe for success.

Note: Are non-members permitted to vote in this poll? If so, you are asking for a biased result since non-registered posters outnumber registered members by a huge margin. Besides MEMBERSHIP SHOULD HAVE ITS PRIVILEGES!

Last edited by Statman on 01-26-05 at 10:28PM

01-26-05 10:29PM
Dallas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dallas Click here to Send Dallas a Private Message Visit Dallas's homepage! Find more posts by Dallas Add Dallas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dallas
CZ Founder

Well said, Statman.

btw, we are working on putting more value on being a CurlingZone member. It will all be implemented after this season is over though, as it will coincide with our yearly site overhaul (maintenance).

Keep the good ideas coming folks. I'd like to see more constructive feedback from others on this subject, as this is one that will undoubtedly bring some interesting discussion of the pros and cons of each suggestion.

01-26-05 10:32PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Excellent post, Grooveh. You are right on, specially regards your last sentence. I nominate this as the post of the year.

Cheers,

Statman

quote:
Originally posted by grooveh

Weak! That is about the lamest excuse in the book. Its not as if registering on this forum takes any time, or divulges any personal info about you.

Its funny...most BB's on the internet REQUIRE only registered posting, and they do not suffer much from that.

I find it funny that curlers are too lazy to even sign up for a curling BB....this laziness and apathy among curlers is exactly the reason why others see curling as such a joke sport!

01-27-05 12:29AM
amandabulge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amandabulge Click here to Send amandabulge a Private Message Visit amandabulge's homepage! Find more posts by amandabulge Add amandabulge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amandabulge
Hitting Paint

Absolutly. As a curling fan who just left another site where it was getting really bad and nothing good seemed to happen. I would love this site to become only registered members. This site is much more posttve than the other site though.

01-27-05 09:49AM

Why not have the best of both worlds.....

Have mandatory registration to post messages, except, for the 'The Pit'. That way those 'Trolls' as they have been aptly named can still shoot off their mouths and keep the traffic up on the site.

Also, messages from The PIt shouldn't show up on the home page under recent posts. Why would you want direct links to the garbage for all to see? Including potential members, advertisers, etc.

Just a thought.

PRW

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.26.169.116

01-28-05 07:23PM

The reason I am not registered is there is no point. No benefits. All it is, is a waste of time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.149.152.126

01-28-05 07:28PM
TennSky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TennSky Click here to Send TennSky a Private Message Find more posts by TennSky Add TennSky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TennSky
Provincial Champion

quote:
The reason I am not registered is there is no point. No benefits. All it is, is a waste of time.

Yeah , right. Sounds like there is more to it than that

01-29-05 11:27AM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

great idea

quote:
Originally posted by PRW
Why not have the best of both worlds.....

Have mandatory registration to post messages, except, for the 'The Pit'. That way those 'Trolls' as they have been aptly named can still shoot off their mouths and keep the traffic up on the site.

Also, messages from The PIt shouldn't show up on the home page under recent posts. Why would you want direct links to the garbage for all to see? Including potential members, advertisers, etc.

Just a thought.

PRW

That idea syhould be given consideration

02-01-05 12:00AM
Dallas
CZ Founder

Yeah, we've been toying with that idea, so it could in essence give us "best of both worlds". I think you'll find that it will be even more advantageous to be a CZ member after this season...so it will undoubtedly lead to more people registering.

We will also entertain the possibility of having more dedicated moderators, from within the CZ community.

Keep the thoughts (and votes) a-comin!

02-01-05 02:42AM
Eman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eman Click here to Send Eman a Private Message Find more posts by Eman Add Eman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eman
Zone Participant

I feel the only that only reason that some want everyone to be registered is to try and find out who is bashing someone, Im am registered and some of my posts are unregistered because I am scanning through threads which I find interesting and also surfing the net to different sites, I dont login in most of the time because I am doing a quick read, It is faster to reply to a thread while zipping through the threads, then back to work
Just Lazy I guess

02-01-05 09:08AM

Another idea is to limit the number of treads from the same category on the 'Recent Posts' on the home page.

For some reason, I feel that the clean-up of the teenage drool over Team Morris will take up most of the good conversation today.....

02-01-05 12:53PM

Publishing the IP addresses is probably the low hanging fruit as it requires no work and but yields some benefits. The anonymity of posting is reduced, but not so much that I think a significant porting of the users would stop posting.

The reduced anonymity may be enough to deter these alleged "trolls" from posting inflammatory remarks on the site. The anonymity which remains may still be enough to fuel some potentially heat, yet civilized, discussions in the various forums.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.198.64.91

02-01-05 01:08PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Here's an idea that I have been floating lately. Registered users will not have their IP address reported when posted, but Unregistereds will.

It will allow users to protect their IP address if they don't want it shown.

Thoughts?

02-01-05 02:07PM
TennSky
Provincial Champion

Personally, I dont like my IP address shown as its nobody's business what my IP is.. And even if I did say something disparaging,anyone can feel free to send me a private mesage or email me and tell me off ( if they choose) or agree with me.
I dont understand what all this fuss is about signing up......
I Imagine that quite a few of the unregistereds are indeed WCT players and would prefer to be anonymous, and thats understandable.
But what I cant understand is why they cant just make up some name that gives no hint of who that person is.
Is it possible that they think CZ is going too look at their IP and try and figure out who that person is ? I cant see that, Im sure you guys have better things to do with your days than finding out who said what about who........

02-03-05 02:12PM

Another thought is to give the person who starts the thread the option of allowing or not allowing 'unregistered' responses.

02-03-05 02:15PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by TennSky
Personally, I dont like my IP address shown as its nobody's business what my IP is..

That would be the potential benefit to signing up, not having your IP address shown.

02-03-05 02:40PM

I also disagree with posting an individual's IP address, instead CZ could just assign a number to each address.

For example, if I decide to post as an unregistered then CZ could assign my IP a name like Curler_57, then every post from then on at that IP is Curler_57, unless someone different signs in at that address.

It is a lot of info to store, but that's why they invented computers to do the tedious tasks.....

02-03-05 02:45PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
I also disagree with posting an individual's IP address, instead CZ could just assign a number to each address.

For example, if I decide to post as an unregistered then CZ could assign my IP a name like Curler_57, then every post from then on at that IP is Curler_57, unless someone different signs in at that address.

It is a lot of info to store, but that's why they invented computers to do the tedious tasks.....

Not a bad idea.

02-03-05 02:48PM
TennSky
Provincial Champion

quote:

Yeah, that is a good idea

02-03-05 05:13PM
grooveh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grooveh Click here to Send grooveh a Private Message Find more posts by grooveh Add grooveh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grooveh
Swing Artist

I think your idea of posting the IP addresses of unregistered, but not members is a fantastic idea! Already, unregistered can input a "guest name" when submitting a post as unregistered...but nobody bothers to even do that....and it doesnt take any extra steps to do.

I personally dont see why its such a big deal to register. I am a crackerhead at times, and post "off the cuff" replies at times...but it takes no effort whatsoever to sign in. At least people who rebut what I have to say know who to respond to!