Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-10-22 05:44PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Scotties's Wild Card

from the Canadian Press:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ot...Dsyq?li=AAggXBR

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-10-22 06:59PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Looks like they will bring 3 wild cards aboard again. The pro curlers have lobbied for extra spots for them for years and covid gave CC the excuse to do it. Once they run 2 Briers/Scotties with the 3 WC expect to hear a lot of lobbying for it to be made permanent. Personally I think the Brier/Scotties should be reserved for provincial reps but I accept the fact that those days are numbered.

01-11-22 08:41AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I like 3 WCs but hate 3 team playoff. If this becomes permanent it needs to be with 4 team page playoff.

01-13-22 07:04PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

18 teams/3 WC confirmed.

https://www.curling.ca/blog/2022/01/13/scotties-update/
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ar...fields-18-teams

WC1 Fleury
WC2 Carey
WC3 Homan

01-13-22 07:17PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Homan replacement

Just a question...If Homan would have been team Ontario they would have to pick a replacement eligible to play for Ontario. Does this apply as team wild card 3?

Not saying they will turn to outside of Ontario but are they arguably potentially better off as wild card as they have more options?

01-13-22 07:30PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
I like 3 WCs but hate 3 team playoff. If this becomes permanent it needs to be with 4 team page playoff.

I agree with the 4 team playoffs. A bit much to go from 16 to 8 to 3.

I really don’t like coming across as so negative, but in my opinion, I believe it was the full intention of CC to go with 3 wild card teams hereafter, even planned from WELL before covid. Years before. More high profile teams equals more eyeballs watching equals more sponsor money. It’s all about the money. A little anti establishment but true. Warren Hansen is wringing his hands in delight saying I told you they’d see it my way. It was his plan from before the dawn of relegation to include more ctrs teams at the expense of provincial representation. Take a bow.

It will never return to only one wild card team. Ever.

01-13-22 08:12PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

In the men's the top points teams without a spot right now are Jacobs, Howard, Gunnlaugson, Dunstone then a big drop to Mcewen, Epping, Flasch. Decent chance all of them will end up at the Brier. If Jacobs was cynical he could lose the NO playdowns to a lesser team and keep 1 of the top group out. He's too much of a competitor to do anything like that but down the line if they keep this format someone else might not be.

01-13-22 08:47PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
In the men's the top points teams without a spot right now are Jacobs, Howard, Gunnlaugson, Dunstone then a big drop to Mcewen, Epping, Flasch. Decent chance all of them will end up at the Brier. If Jacobs was cynical he could lose the NO playdowns to a lesser team and keep 1 of the top group out. He's too much of a competitor to do anything like that but down the line if they keep this format someone else might not be.

Jacobs has a spot…he’s representing Northern Ontario as those mens play downs were cancelled

01-14-22 02:58PM
Gallan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gallan Click here to Send Gallan a Private Message Find more posts by Gallan Add Gallan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gallan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know why Team Flasch was not at the Saskatchewan provincials?

01-14-22 03:06PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gallan
Does anyone know why Team Flasch was not at the Saskatchewan provincials?

The event in Swift Current this past weekend was a Sask Curling Tour event and not the provincials. They start on February 9 in Regina.

01-14-22 03:47PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
If Jacobs was cynical he could lose the NO playdowns to a lesser team and keep 1 of the top group out. He's too much of a competitor to do anything like that but down the line if they keep this format someone else might not be.

Gushue could have done that, and arguably Koe in NWT - but no. They do their playdowns. If they win the Brier - then the following year the up-and-comers get a chance. Case in point, Greg Smith.

01-14-22 08:27PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Gushue has signed up for his playdowns so he technically could take a Wildcard spot.

01-14-22 10:10PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
Gushue has signed up for his playdowns so he technically could take a Wildcard spot.

I think he’s going to withdraw, the team is now training in Vancouver then flying to China for the Olympics.

01-14-22 10:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I think he’s going to withdraw, the team is now training in Vancouver then flying to China for the Olympics.

There’s zero chance Gushue goes back to NL for the tankard. They’re essentially in quarantine in Vancouver until leaving for China. They’ll take the wild card and allow another NL team a chance at the Brier. Won’t be too long to pass the baton to the rest in NL.

01-16-22 04:55PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Miskew will skip at the Scotties, i.e., throw last and call all, Wilkes to Third, Flaxey to Second and Courtney will remain at Lead.

01-16-22 05:33PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Happy I hear that decision. Makes more sense than removing them and sending a totally different team.

01-19-22 07:01PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Scotties is on

I see a news item that says Ontario has approved the bubble for the Scotties in Thunder Bay. That is good news for all us missing curling I think.

01-20-22 04:39PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I'll keep an open mind but this strikes me as a far worse format than last year. No Championship Pool is inexcusable.

https://twitter.com/twinetime14/sta...241162617638917

01-20-22 07:56PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Doesn't seem great. Especially potential to eliminate team without losing in case of 3-way tie. Get rid of page playoff.

01-20-22 08:04PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

If a team doesn’t lose a game, they will not get eliminated.

01-20-22 09:02PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
If a team doesn’t lose a game, they will not get eliminated.

Eliminated without a tiebreaker game. Something CC has previously avoided.

I don't get this change. Why? Play an extra 2 games Friday and keep the page playoff. Or just fill Monday and Tuesday a.m. up.

01-21-22 03:59PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Pool A looks slightly stronger and deeper than group B IMO.
All 3 wild cards are in A along with contender McCarville and usual suspects Birt and Crawford.
Other pool has contenders Walker and Einarson with maybe contenders Zacharias, Arsenault, Duncan and St-Georges.

01-21-22 04:23PM
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Interesting draw

Zacharias gets a chance to start the week relatively easily but ends it on Thursday playing Einarson and Walker. Team Homan gets a couple of easier games to get their team chemistry right against Crawford and Hill before coming up against McCarville and Fleury.
Finishing first in your round robin guarantees you a place in the page playoff (can be 1v2 or 3v4 but not out).
Weird tiebreaker rules...Only tie breaker game if third place teams teams have at least 5-3 record? So if two teams tie for third at 4-4 (possible but not likely) one will get in based on DSC? Where if they are 5-3 they have to play a game?
So a 4-4 team can win their cross over game and then beat the number 1 team and end up in the Page 1v2 with a 6-4 record?

Fun to think about but 3 teams qualifying out of nine will make the round robin tense right from the first games.

Oh and the Bernie team gets to be the only team to sit out both Friday and Saturday at the beginning of the round, and MacPhail the only team to sit out Thursday.

McCarville against Carey looks like a fine opener for TV.

01-22-22 02:05PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

I think Walker is ready to win this thing. Cameron was very strong in AB playdowns, they've been getting closer and this could be the one. Cheering for Einarson though, 3 in a row would be tremendous achievement. Also very interested to see how Miskew's team does. I think Flaxey would be better at skip than Emma and a better 3rd than Sarah but obviously they have made the lineup they think will succeed. As for the 2nd tier perrennial entrant who will step up and have a good week I'll go with Crawford.

01-22-22 02:17PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Interesting draw

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
So if two teams tie for third at 4-4 [...] one will get in based on DSC?

I don't believe so. In all tiebreaking mechanism I've read so far, head-to-head always comes first, and DSC is always a last resort.

So my guess is if only two teams tie for 3rd at 4W-4L, whoever won the pool game between the two advances.

See: https://www.curling.ca/blog/2022/01...draw-announced/
"[...] teams will be eliminated by head-to-head record first and then by accumulated last stone draw [...]"

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-22-22 at 02:30PM